Incomprehension (Nayoung • Sejeong)

The Multiplication Table for Readers

Title: Incomprehension

Characters: Kim Nayoung, Kim Sejeong

Requested by: MYMWHM

===

We would’ve been the iconic couple in their circle of friends. We knew each other since we started high school, hung out every after class, and our parents were really close friends. Everyone didn’t mind about our relationship. In fact, we almost blended in nature throughout the walks of life.

Sejeong and I were a couple now…but then…

“Ugh! Again with your flirting, Nayoung!” Sejeong huffed.

“You have to blame me, huh?” I asked. “What about you and Hana?”

“Don’t you dare involve Hana in our argument!” Sejeong batted at me again.

“Then who should I blame? You? Me?” I bat back. “You and Hana were hanging out so well, almost like a couple!”

“Is your view of things really that shallow?!” Sejeong adds a light slap. “It was just dinner, Nayoung!”

“Yeah…and you were laughing with Hana. You even let her hug you when she knows you have Kim Nayoung.” I huffed, pointing at myself.

“Stop being so immature, Nayoung!” Sejeong yelled again. “Why on Earth would I get a thought of that? I have you to begin with, you dork.”

I kicked a nearby trashcan and sulked. Sejeong stopped and we sat by the bench, leaving a gap as big as when Moses split the Red Sea in half. We didn’t talk, nor reacted, nor made a single sound, not even a snort.

“Hey, you two-“

“Yah!” I saw Sally slap Soyee hard. “Don’t you see them?” Sally sighs. “Mind the tall statue, guys.”

“It’s fine.” Sejeong just nodded.

“No pressure…” I said too.

“Awkward…” Soyee mumbled before they left.

“Watch your mouth, statue!” I yelled and huffed again.

I leant by the bench again. I sighed hard of this tension. I couldn’t bear it as I left.

•••••

My hand got hesitant to hold her, to talk to her, to forgive ourselves and just go back to the usual…but she just sighed and left, making my wee heart torn into two.

“Sejeong?” I looked up and there was Haebin.

Haebin noticed that Nayoung just left and the motherly member within the circle of friends just sighed. “She’s a nutjob sometimes.”

“Tell me about it…” I mumbled. “But she means well, Haebin.”

“That’s true.” Haebin said. “But do remember that she’s the ‘manly one’ between you two. She should’ve been accountable for any action the both of you do and be the one who understood more.”

I took Haebin’s words as she left me to contemplate. Maybe she was right. Maybe I should wait for Nayoung to pop out of her shell and apologize.

•••••

“Yah! You’re the Alpha of the relationship, Nayoung! Go and apologize to Sejeong!” Sally exclaimed.

“Woah, babe. Calm down…” Soyee calms her Chinese girlfriend down then faces Nayoung. “You know, my Xieningsus is right. Go and apologize to her.”

“Hey! Whose side are you on?” I flipped out. “The last time you were all sorry for disrupting such a moment then here you are, making me apologize to Sejeong.”

“If none of you apologize, is there even a possibility that you’ll agree back again?” Sally refuted.

I couldn’t refute back. Sally had a point. But then, I didn’t do anything wrong. Sejeong and Hana hang out and I witnessed them. Sejeong should apologize, not me!

“Ugh-come one!” I huffed and scratched my head. “I saw them so happy. How could that God Ahjusshi just hang out with Hana when there’s the cool Kim Nayoung?”

“More like the dork Kim Nayoung…” Sally mumbled and Soyee reacted.

“Sally, you’re not helping.” I sighed.

“Anyways…” Soyee took them back on track towards the proper conversation. “…Nayoung, go and apologize to Sejeong.”

“Again with me apologizing! She’s at fault, not me!” I yelled. “I didn’t do anything to make her jealous but she does that to me.”

“Hey…what happened to the strong Nayoung who would do anything for Sejeong?” Soyee knocks on my brain.

“She’s gone weak. I mean…” I sighed again. “…I always saw her with Hana. I would bat but Sejeong would reason out that she’s just hanging ut with her as a friend. But seeing them like that almost everyday, I would lose my patience and get jealous.”

Sally and Soyee fell silent. I was growing pissed as if I was going to cry in front of them. “That’s the reason, okay? I guess you guys don’t understand…”

“Nayoung…”

“I need to go.” I said. “I have to apologize to Sejeong.”

•••••

“Hana, please help me.” I begged.

“Why? Did happen between you and Nayoung?” Hana asked.

“We had a misunderstanding.” I mumbled. “She saw us and we left her a bad impression.”

“That’s just the nature of couples, Sejeong. I’m sorry for that.” Hana said.

“It’s not your fault. It’s mine…” I lowered my head. “…man, I shouldn’t have said that to Nayoung…”

“Okay. Enough with the moping…” Hana sighed. “…we need to get you and Nayoung back.”

I cheered. Since it was the vacant period, Hana and I decided to go to the boutique store. Hana bought stuff for her scrapbook whereas I bought a couple necklace for Nayoung and I. Hana finished on buying and I was about to pay my necklace when I saw Nayoung coming in. I hastily grabbed Hana and we hid somewhere. Hana would be gasping but I had to take drastic actions.

“What was that, Sejeong?” She asked.

“Nayoung’s here.” I answered.

“Then just tell her that us coming in together is not what it looks like.” Hana reasoned.

“But Nayoung can be hard-headed sometimes. I hope you understand.” I reasoned back.

“Fine.” Hana said. “But you owe me one, Sejeong.”

I could only nod. I took a glimpse as Nayoung was already out of the store. I motioned Hana for us to come out, pay for what we bought, and decided to go back to school.

I was so mesmerized and almost excited as I looked at the necklace. I was excited to give it to Nayoung. I need to make up for everything and for us. Even though she’s a sourpuss sometimes, I wanted to work things out again. Because for me, I don’t know what would happen if she won’t be at peace in our relationship and just leave. To me, I really love Nayoung…I really do…

•••••

“Yah, Kim Nayoung!”

I couldn’t care less if Haebin yells at the top of her lungs. I could only sulk, kicking every pebble in sight. I felt her presence sitting next to me as she nudges me back to a harsh reality. “Yah!”

“What?!” I asked loudly.

“What’s wrong? Why are you sulking like ?” Haebin asked.

I couldn’t say anything as I gave my phone to Haebin. She wondered and got a look at it. I could only look at her reactions, especially when she looked at me with a pitiful gaze.

“It’s a violation of privacy, I know…” I spoke.  “…but witnessing it made my heart ache. I respect the fact that she and Hana are friends but she goes with her without telling me? Seriously…”

“Aigoo…” Haebin sighed. “…by the looks of it, it’s albeit creepy but you have your point, Nayoung.”

I was silent. In my head, I was thinking of all that had happened.

Let me rephrase it. Sejeong and I are a couple…but now…we’re growing distant…

“Nayoung?” I heard Haebin call.

I didn’t respond. I retrieved my phone from her grasp and walked away, a lingering thought spinning around my head, telling me that I’ve had enough.

Have I really had enough?

“Naong~~” I saw Sejeong waving happily at me.

She went closer and hugged me tight. I felt the affection and all and I couldn’t help but hug her back. But deep down, I felt a little dim, maybe because of that scene I witnessed earlier.

“What’s wrong?” She asked.

It’s our relationship that’s wrong…

“It’s nothing, Sedong…” I mumbled.

“I miss you…” Sejeong mumbled as she hugged me tight. “Let’s have a drink.”

“Sure…” I said. “…whatever you need.”

I hugged her back again. Well, maybe I could go for a drink and spend time with the one I love. Because to me, it would be the last time I’ll be with her.

•••••

We were at the same restaurant. Nayoung paid for the food and drinks and we were at our favorite spot, indulging on our food and of each other’s company.

Nayoung and I had our first date here so the place meant a lot to the both of us. It was also a time when we reached our 20s and we would have drinks here. For us, the typical date of simple food and glasses of soju was one of the most memorable times Nayoung and I had.

I lowered my head as I got the necklace on my pocket. But as I looked up, I gasped as Nayoung emptied every bottle of soju we ordered. Not only that, she didn’t talk to me openly unlike before. I wonder what was going on. With that, I snatched Nayoung’s glass and drank the contents.

“You’ve been drinking too much, Nayoung. Let’s go. You’re tired.” I said.

“We should break up.” Nayoung mumbled.

*crack*

“W-What?!” I reacted, feeling the shards beyond my shoes.

Nayoung chuckled. “What’s with your reaction, Sejeong? You’d be happier, right? Have you not noticed me by that boutique store?”

I was damned. I lowered my head again but I had to explain things. “Nayoungie…it’s not what you think…”

“You could’ve just spared the details that you would be coming with Hana to buy something but you didn’t bother to tell me anything.” Nayoung said as she glared at me. “It’s stupid of me, I know. But you know it concerns me when you are with your friends, let alone with Shin Bora. I mean come on…” Nayoung points at herself. “…I’m your girlfriend, aren’t I?”

“Nayoungie, I’m so sorry for not telling you…” I spoke as I cried. “…but you don’t mean that, right?” I held her hand and cried harder. “I love you…please don’t break up with me…”

“Think about it, Sejeong.” Nayoung spoke, facing me. “We’re not good for each other. Your time with friends is another picture. Me? I get too jealous and overprotective, ruining your freedom. With those insecurities, we fight most of the time rather than being the couple everyone pictures of us. Mostly…” Nayoung got her hand off of mine. “…I’m not good for you…”

“But you said…” I was lost as I was weeping. “…goddamnit, Kim Nayoung! You don’t mean those words!”

I slammed a hand on the table. I couldn’t care less if some people were looking at us but Nayoung’s words were hitting me all over. I kept crying, my tears staining the wooden table. “You said that you always love me!”

“Not anymore.” Nayoung spoke.

I could ask the cosmos above. How could you make something small even bigger? Like now, how could a little misunderstanding get bigger and result in an event that could change everything? I recalled everything but why did I accept my mistakes now?

I really love Nayoung. But I also had my life as I spent time with friends especially Hana. But when Nayoung and I come into a certain picture, she witnesses me with friends and misinterprets, leading to fights. In my case, it was almost the same and we’d fight most of the time. We’d make up and all but maybe we had enough. Maybe Nayoung had enough.

But no. That can’t be a jurisdiction. I really love Nayoung. She can’t just say that and break up with me…

“Nayoung…” I grabbed her hand before she could go.

“Let me go, Sejeong…” She mumbled.

I didn’t. I held her hand tight but somehow, Nayoung lets go and left the place. I was alone and I felt my heart ache of this bull.

“Why…?” I mumbled as I wept.

My heart was eased a bit but mostly, it was aching to bits. My heart broke and my world just fell apart.

What is there to behold in the future now?

•••••

“You’re insane, Kim Nayoung.” Haebin hissed. “How could you just go drunk and confess to Sejeong that you want to break up with her? How immature.”

“Forget about that, will you?” I hissed. “What’s done is done. Besides, she deserves to be at peace. Our relationship was ideal but hidden on that are actually days of misunderstanding.”

“Shame…” Haebin mumbled.

“Usually, I’d be crying like a sicko but actually, I felt sad and empty without disappearing in a puddle of tears.” Nayoung shared.

“And what do you think? I’d help you with that?” Haebin batted. “It’s your fault, you dimwit!”

I just shrugged. I heard my stomach rumble. I bid Haebin goodbye to go to the canteen when I passed by Sejeong. I saw her look of deep longing but I can’t just look like that too. I waved at her and just passed by her. As I made my steps away from the sight, I felt my chest hurt that I froze and held my chest tight.

But I had to shrug it off and move on as soon as possible before I get hurt all over again.

•••••

I would’ve stopped visiting at the restaurant but I wanted a drink. I was alone at the same table, downing a lot of bottles of soju as I took one shot at a time. While drinking, the bittersweet taste lingered on my senses, and so did the fact that Nayoung and I weren’t a thing anymore.

I’ve been crying like a wreck for God knows how long but I decided to release all emotions through drinking to avoid any wasted tears and wasted cries. I downed my forty-ninth shot and I huffed.

“I knew you were here.” I looked up and there was Hana.

“What brings you here?” I asked, a little drunk.

“For a woman who has drank seven bottles of soju, you’re like a woman of steel, not even alcohol can stop you.” Hana answered and sat to face me. “I’m here to order a take-out for Mimi and I. How about you? Still lost in love?”

“Aish, sh!” I spoke. “It’s done.”

“By the looks of you and Nayoung, it isn’t.” Hana chuckled. “By the way, Nayoung was in here yesterday.”

“Huh? What? Really?” I asked.

“Yeah. She was also drinking, although she’s up to you with two bottles more.” Hana answered again. “But it’s different. She was crying and holding her chest tight, like she was having a cardiac condition or something.”

Hearing Hana’s words made me so worried. I asked her again. “What do you mean?”

“Nayoung was really pale. She was crying while drinking and was scraping the table.” Hana answered. “Either she has a condition or the breakup dragged her to her despair.”

“Thanks for that.” I said and ran.

“Woah!” Hana blocked my way. “Will you be alright?”

I could only nod. “I need to see Nayoung.”

Hana sighed and gave way as I ran outside and grabbed a taxi to Nayoung’s place. For some reason, despite of such misunderstanding, something in me wanted to make up for everything and have her back to me.

•••••

Sweat trickled by my forehead as I held my chest hard and panted and wept silently because of the pain. As I looked at the ceiling with blurry and teary eyes, I wonder of the pain that I was feeling.

Was it my condition or the breakup with Sejeong?

*knock*

“Yah! No one’s home!!” I yelled all of a sudden.

“Naong…”

It can’t be. I must be hearing things. There’s no way Sejeong’s here.

“Nayoungie…it’s me…” I hear Sejeong again.

I didn’t bother letting her in. I was too weak, too hurt, and too frail to do anything. I hissed when a light emitted from the door and a frantic yet drunken Kim Sejeong was nudging me to reality.

Damn, how could I miss her this much? I beat the of my sub-conscience up for this for being an idiot and breaking up with her out of a misunderstanding. The idea was the stupidest in all the history of ideas combined.

“Nayoung!! Nayoungie, wake up~!” Sejeong cried as I felt her tears drop on my face.

I couldn’t recall much as everything darkened…

•••••

I woke up. It was another day, a weekend to be exact. I looked around and I knew I was not in my home. I scratch my head, recalling everything until it hit me. I checked on Nayoung and she was dozing oh-so-peacefully.

Her cheeks were on their right colour and she was breathing properly. I was relieved. I wondered of what Hana said about a cardiac condition as I took a peek by Nayoung’s bust. It was almost erted to watch her cleavage but I was looking for a line. I gulped as I saw a line by her chest. I put a hand by my mouth as I cried silently.

“Yah, don’t waste your tears on me.” I looked up and Nayoung was waking up. “You look ugly if you cry.”

“YAH!!” I yelled and tackled her for a hug. “I thought you were dead!!”

“I’m not. Can’t you see that I’m alive, breathing, even hugging you back?” Nayoung spoke as I felt her arms around me.

“I miss you so much…” I mumbled. “…why did we have to break up?”

I didn’t let go of Nayoung but I did give her space to breathe. I faced Nayoung as my hand reached to touch her cheek.

“We broke up because I was a cocky .” Nayoung answered.

“The both of us were, Nayoung.” I said. “We had big heads and we erupted.”

“Point taken.” Nayoung answered.

“Nayoung?” I called and she responded with a questionable look. “How could you not tell me that you have a condition?!”

“It’s not critical, Sejeong. It occurs once in a blue moon.” Nayoung answered but I wasn’t convinced. “Don’t worry. I take my medicine every day.”

I nodded and hugged her again. Nayoung hugged back and I held onto her tighter. “Can we go back and be a couple again?”

“Is that an apology or something?” Nayoung asked. “How could you want to come back to someone who said the harshest words of breaking up?”

“Because I love the person despite the odds.” I answered.

“What if I said that I still love the person so much? Would you still trust me and take me back?” Nayoung asked.

“There’s nothing to hesitate. It’s a yes, Nayoung.” I said and kissed her.

Nayoung smiled on the kiss and kissed back. “I love you, Sejeong.”

“I love you too…so much…” I said back.

“Food trip later?” She asked as we laid on the bed.

“Sure.” I said and cuddled onto her as we laid in each other’s arms.

===

Hey guys, it's asahdako. Mind me for the infrequent updates. I couldn't update like I used too because I'm busy at uni plus I have a migraine today. Nonetheless, I decided to update today since it's been a while. For the reader who requested this, I hope you'll like it.

With updates come new stories and ones on semi-hiatus. But all in all, they will be updated and completed soon enough.

@10kmWeeWoo: Sana makapaghintay ka sa request mo. Alam kong busy ka din sa pagaaral HAHAHA

Anyways, that would be all. Lovelots.