Delusion (Gugudan)

The Multiplication Table for Readers

Title: Delusion

Characters: Gugudan ft. other characters from the Produce 101 circle

Requested by: Agyusshi

===

The sun scorched around an amusement park filled with noises of fun and laughter. But for a pink-haired woman in her 20s, the said fun turned into hell.

She had taken the wife of her former head doctor, together with their two daughters. They had fun riding and eating while she waited at the food stalls, her body almost giving in carrying bags of prizes.

“Your hotdogs.” The vendor handed to her.

“Thank you. Chance of rain?” She asked.

“With the scorching heat, chances are slim.” The vendor answered back.

Kim Nayoung looked at the sun again. The vendor had a big point right there.

+++

Evening came and the family arrived home. Nayoung was the last to get in, placing the bags to where they needed to be. She then got to greet a woman drinking soju while watching the news. “Doctor Lim.”

“I would’ve preferred my name as an address but we share it.” Doctor Lim Nayoung spoke. “Just got home since the operation just ended.”

“That’s great, Doc.” Nayoung addressed.

“Thank you for running the errand for my Kyla’s birthday celebration. I would’ve caught up but the operation took longer than expected.” Doctor Lim reasoned.

“It’s fine, Doc.” Nayoung answered as she sat down. “They had a wonderful time, especially Mrs. Lim.”

“Jieqiong can get childish sometimes.” Doctor Lim chuckled then looked at Nayoung. “Aren’t you tired?”

Nayoung nodded lightly as Doctor Lim sighed. “Why don’t you call it a day, Nayoung?”

“Of course, Doc.” Nayoung got up and bowed. “Thank you again. Have a good evening.”

+++

Nayoung rode back home, fussing over a call from a fellow worker.

Glad you assessed Doctor Lim well. She’s one of our VIPs. You’re doing well for a former professor at university.

“Well, that. I’m no servant, you bastard!” Nayoung yelled.

The whole call almost turned into a debate. Circumstances were good for Nayoung before but if had gone cruel after a bad investment. She got her recent job but she loathed it. This was not how she was supposed to live.

But what can she do? She had a wife and two little daughters to raise.

Walking up towards the apartment, she saw a familiar person, smoking. Nayoung could only maintain a stoic look.

“Unnie.” She spoke and got closer as Nayoung walked. “It’s been a while.”

“What brings you here, Sejeong?” Nayoung asked.

“Well, it’s Mina’s birthday soon so I decided to come here and-“

“Cut to the chase, Sejeong. If not, better for you to buzz off.” Nayoung batted, stopping her.

“Y-Your work...how was it?” Sejeong asked again.

“You kidding me?” Nayoung snickered.

“I had to ask. I feel responsible for it.” Sejeong said.”

“It’s peachy. Now don’t show up again.” Nayoung hissed. “And don’t call me that again.”

Nayoung continued walking as Sejeong called her. Sejeong sighed and had to give up for tonight as she went home. Nayoung got inside her home. She got to the dining room, finding her wife and kids eating a lot of food.

“Appa~” Her children greeted.

“Honey!” Her wife, Kim Hana, went to hug her, pulling her to eat with them. “Have you eaten? You just missed your sister.”

“Seriously, what are you gobbling so late at night?” Nayoung asked as she watched her kids pig out.

“Samcheon Sejeong bought it for us!” Her older daughter, Mina, spoke as she ate pizza.

“It’s so good, Appa.” Hyeyeon, her younger daughter, added.

“Aish, give it a rest.” Nayoung batted.

“Appa, are we going to the park for my birthday?” Mina asked.

“Seriously, that’s all you can think of?” Nayoung batted again, making Mina lower her head. “Doing birthdays is a luxury we can’t afford.”

Nayoung stormed off inside her room as Hana sighed for her husband. Looking back at the kids, Mina was about to cry.

“Eomma, are we not going?” She asked.

“Aigoo, don’t cry, baby.” Hana went to comfort her. “Appa is just tired. Why don’t you continue to eat?”

+++

The night came by for Nayoung. She might have gotten the rest she wanted but she was stressed for yelling at her daughter. Hana got inside, fetching Nayoung’s work clothes and putting them in the laundry basket.

“Honey…you okay? You had a rough day?” Hana asked.

“A bit. I’m just stressed.” Nayoung mumbled beneath the blanket.

“Why don’t I take the kids to their grandmother for a while?” Hana suggested.

“What?” Nayoung uncovers herself.

“And I might have to get a job this time.”

Nayoung jolted up, irritated once more. “Are you trying to embarrass me?”

“Nayoung, it’s not like that. It’s just that you constantly have everything in your plate and that you’re constantly irritated.” Hana said.

“Hana, you know the reason, right?” Nayoung spoke, sighing. “We had a wonderful life, like a race with a nice pace…but a stone of bad investment trips me and I have to start back at square one. Who wouldn’t be irritated at that?”

“Nayoung…”

“Just be grateful that we’re still breathing.” Nayoung batted again as she laid down to sleep.

Hana sighed and patted her head. “Sleep well.”

She leaves the room and Nayoung cusses at her second approach as she sleeps.

+++

“Are you sure about this?” Sejeong asked as she checked the latest dossier.

“I’m telling you.” Suhyun spoke, eating some kimchi.

“Strange. Gx9 Insurance was nothing but a hollow shell.”

“Says the big sister, hm?” Suhyun raised an eyebrow.

“Jesus…ever since I helped with her investment, she turned against me.” Sejeong sighed. “I want to start one in the insurance yet my sister screwed up hers.”

“Based on the recent market activities, there’s not much to know of that insurance company. All I know is that someone’s stocking up on Gx9’s shares and random middle class clients get less privileges.” Suhyun explained.

“You’ll still bet your life on it?” Sejeong asked.

“What kind of a question is that?” Suhyun asked as she finished her meal. “It’s not just simple math. What can we even do? You win some and lose some.”

Sejeong jabs Suhyun and the woman spits her meal.

“Idiot! Do you know how it screwed my family?! Do you even know how it screwed my sister’s life?!” Sejeong yelled.

“Yah, Kim Sejeong! Do know that it was YOU who dragged your sister to  settle onto that insurance.” Suhyun batted, the cabbage hanging on .

Sejeong punches her and fell on the floor. Suhyun turned into a coward that she apologized. Sejeong couldn’t deny. She ruined her sister’s life and of her family.

She got closer to the scared detective and clenched her collar. “Get your nose deeper onto it.”

“Excuse me?” Suhyun was confused.

“Know who bought those shares, stalk them if you have to. And know why they did it.” Sejeong hissed and pushed Suhyun off.

+++

It was another day at work and Nayoung arranges receipts and folders for insurance clients when she felt a pat on her shoulder.

“I thought you’d quit, Nayoung.” Her sales manager, Heehyun, asked.

“I couldn’t. I cannot gamble to find another opportunity.” Nayoung sighed.

“Touché.” Heehyun nodded.

“Anyways, why isn’t the insurance company developing a new branch?” Nayoung asked. “The company has a decent number of clients, the rates are steady, and there are new ways to settle monetary value, especially with Gx9 Pharmacy. Another medium of getting clients and we wouldn’t have to beg some.”

“It may be a hollow shell but Gx9 is investing for other s. I heard that we’re in collaboration with Ideal Corporation and the money-grubbing bastards of that corporation are buying this business, shutting us down bit by bit, especially the pharmacy. So much for a new medium of investment, huh?”

“Touché.” Nayoung replied.

Heehyun noticed Nayoung’s workload as she asks. “Going back to the share market, hm?”

“Hell no.” Nayoung answered.

“You’re getting burned at this rate. Think about your family. Just like gambling, you got to hit rock bottom.” Heehyun added.

Nayoung blows up a fuse as the rest of the employees seem to notice. Nayoung had to calm herself as she hissed. “I won’t. I’ve hit the tier again and I’m not going back.”

“Seriously, if your sister was here, I’d skin her alive.” Heehyun hissed. “I can’t believe she dragged you into that ty mess.”

+++

Sejeong was at a hospital, her eyes peering onto the lab rats. She was inside her fiancé’s office as she gasped. “What? Is there nothing you can do about it?”

“I have no money, Sejeong.” Her fiancé and medical technician, Kim Chungha, said.

“Come on, Chungha. What about the wedding fund?” Sejeong asked as she followed her.

“It got mixed up with the other investments that got their shares deducted. It’s long gone.” Chungha answered.

Sejeong cusses of that fact but it didn’t stop her. “Can’t you take out a loan?”

“Hey.” Chungha faces her. “You ruined your sister’s life and now you ruin mine?”

“Yah! You make it sound like I’m some disease!” Sejeong batted.

“Then why are you doing this?!”

“I have to make it up to my sister. She deserves better. A person earning her doctorate in both natural and social sciences shouldn’t be some saleswoman in an insurance company!” Sejeong batted. “I owe her, my sister-in-law, and my two nieces.”

Chungha slammed her papers on her desk as she faced Sejeong again. “I hear you. But do you think a loan is the only solution?”

“Yes.” Sejeong nodded.

“It’s more tedious compared to an investment and a stock and they’re almost the same. You could lose everything.”

“For my sister’s family, I’ll take the risk.” Sejeong defended as she ran off.

+++

Chungha and Nayoung met up at a street food stall and ate there. Chungha talked about Sejeong, from her attitude to her recent plan of getting a loan and boy, was Nayoung pissed?

“Leave her before it’s too late. You deserve better.” Nayoung sighed.

“To think you introduced me to her, sunbae.” Chungha said.

“She was decent before. I just never thought she’d become an .” Nayoung commented as she formed chemical atoms with the deli food. “C2H5OH, ethanol. It’s used as an antiseptic and to make liquor.”

Nayoung breaks it down as Chungha looked at it. “CH3OH, methanol.”

“If consumed, it causes blindness and worst case scenario, death.” Nayoung said. “And that’s what Sejeong turned into. Poison. That’s what she is.”

“Cut some slack. She’s still you sister, even she was a previous crook that turned into a detective-“

“Chungha.” Nayoung called.

“What?” Chungha asked.

“Sejeong is not a sister to me anymore. And I apologize because I cannot help you with any problem.” Nayoung spoke.

“Are things really that bad?” Chungha asked.

“Just drink.” Nayoung hands a glass of beer and got her own as they drink.

+++

A couple was walking early. A husband witnessed something peculiar beside the river as he went closer to find out. Due to a little slip, he fell and found out that it was a dead body.

The news reached the police department and Sejeong was called to see the dilemma. She and fellow cop and detective Jung Mimi met and Sejeong wondered. “Was it drowning?”

“The river was shallow. It could be of illegal disposure.” Mimi said. “If you have to see it, brace yourself.”

Sejeong and got to the ambulance where the body was. Sejeong crouched, removing the cloth as she cussed and almost puked.

“Yah, Jung Mimi!” Sejeong spat. “Call Haebin!”

+++

Han Haebin was a classmate of Sejeong’s sister and Chungha’s fellow doctor at Seoul Hospital and a part of the forensics team specializing in autopsies. She was called by the police department to check on the body.

Mimi got the pictures of the victim and gave them to Haebin.

“The pictures were of two days ago. She did the usual routines tucking her children to bed and sleeping with her husband. She was gone when the husband woke up and was found overnight.”

“Hmm…the body was in the state of cachexia meaning it was reduced to skin and bones.”

“Yeah.” Mimi nodded.

“It doesn’t make any sense. Decomposition like this can’t happen overnight.” Haebin said.

“So it is alien abduction?” Sejeong asked.

“Shut up, you punk. To hell with your conspiracies.” Haebin hissed. “Anyways, that’s not the first of the other bodies like it.”

“What do you mean?” Mimi asked.

“There were two bodies found three days ago, each from Jamsil and Bundang and a week ago, bodies of a family from Gangwondo. The cases were similar to this body.”

“Then this is a case for Feds then.” Sejeong concluded. “I’ll let Mimi finish this business with you.”

“What the hell-“

“Thanks, Mimi.” Sejeong grinned and went off.

Mimi called as Haebin sighed. Mimi huffed and apologized.

“That’s fine.” Haebin said. “That cocky son of a hasn’t changed a bit.”

+++

More news of dead bodies in the shallow parts of the river spread across the country. Hana even watched one that she nudged Nayoung to wake up. Her husband hissed and got up.

“Nayoung honey, you need to watch the news.” Hana speaks.

“Are we at war?” Nayoung asked as she yawned.

“I don’t think so.” Hana answered. “Call Sejeong. She must know something.”

“Sejeong is the lowest ranked cop and detective in her department. What would she know?” Nayoung batted. “Can you get me my music sheets?”

“Hey. You’re going to play a street piano and watch people die by the seconds?” Hana batted.

“That’s not a concern, Hana. If I dig my nose onto that, who’s going to put the food in our plates?” Nayoung batted back.

Hana sighed and watched herself. Nayoung saw Hyeyeon eating silently as she asked her. “Not even a ‘good morning’ to your Appa?”

+++

Sejeong was on her station checking the audits of Gx9 Insurance. Suhyun had helped her but they weren’t any leads. Sejeong continued to search when Mimi nudged her.

“What?” Sejeong asked.

“Captain wants you to come with her to Gangwondo.” Mimi speaks. “Remember the body we found at Bundang?”

“Yeah. Why?” Sejeong asked. “But those members were fine.”

“Her husband and kids died recently. They had a family outing on a mountain stream that is connected to the same stream in Bundang, where the body was found.”

“And so?” Sejeong asked.

“Captain believes that the waters are contaminated. She said we’ll find some contaminators…and you’re joining her.” Mimi explained. “Go find a tox screen and get your bangs combed.”

“We’re not the ing CSI nor the CDC to deal with this .” Sejeong cussed but went on anyway.

Mimi sighed. Another detective heard them and asked. “What was that, sunbae? Does Sejeong even want to be a cop?”

“She has a loan to pay for.” was all Mimi could say.

+++

Nayoung was in an entertainment industry doing tutorials on piano lessons for three clients. Lessons came and went until they talked about the news.

“Do we also have to talk it here?” Kang Kyungwon, her second main client, spoke.

“Of course not, madam,” said one of her staff, also one of the clients.

 One of the clients went to the dispenser every second, drinking water. The rest noticed it as Nayoung asks. “Madam, you okay?”

“I’m just parched.” She panted as she drank again.

Nayoung gave her bottle of water and continued the lessons. The said client couldn’t proceed the lessons as she felt thirstier than before and emptied the whole dispenser.

“You seem parched, Eunwoo.” Kyungwon said. “How about we go to the indoor pool instead?”

+++

Nayoung sighed as she looked like a lifeguard. Kyungwon and her first staff were relaxing by the side as the second staff dipped in the pool.

Nayoung was almost dozing off when screams were heard. Nayoung saw the staff struggling in the pool that she dove to save her. As she got closer, the body was afloat. But as she flipped the body over, she flipped out.

The staff was dead. Kyungwon and the last of the staff called 911.

+++

Sejeong was on the water resource of the rivers and was interrogating the village head about the source of the water.

“It’s from the hills and it flows down here, connecting the lines of the rivers in Bundang and the Han River.” The village head spoke. “The water is cool during the summer that it attracts tourists and you believe it’s contaminated?!”

She went off and Sejeong sighed. Eventually, Mimi caught up and met with her.

“Where the hell have you been?” Sejeong batted.

“Other matters in the office. What’s the stat?” Mimi asked.

“Source is from there, connecting Bundang and the Han River.” Sejeong pointed at the mountain. “And the cocky head wouldn’t believe that the waters are contaminated.”

“The others are checking.” Mimi looked. “I also got some information.”

“What?” Sejeong asked.

“The latest family of victims from Bundang were Heo Jooeun, her husband Heo Seoyoon, and their children, Soyul and Eunjin.” Mimi said.

“What?!” Sejeong reacted.

“What’s wrong?” Mimi asked.

“The wife is the cousin of my sister-in-law.” Sejeong said.

+++

Evening came and Hana and her kids drank water since they ate little food. They were also down since Hana’s cousin died with her family. Mina and Hyeyeon were aware of the situation and sulked with their mother.

Nayoung arrived and was triggered. “What are you doing? Why are you all drinking like that?”

Hana slams her glass as she teared up. “Supper wasn’t going well and you can’t stand us drinking water now?!”

“Appa…Imonie Jooeun and Imonie Sooyeon died…Soyul and Eunjin unnies too.” Mina quivered.

Nayoung was shocked. She encountered a dead person and even heard of another.

Was the news from before really an issue now?

+++

Sejeong remained in Gangwondo as she called Chungha. She was worried that Sejeong couldn’t come home but Sejeong didn’t want her to worry. “I have to stay here until we get the tox screen.

Where will you sleep?

“In my car, like a dog.” Sejeong said. “The village won’t offer a room for me. What a weird neighborhood if you ask me.”

Sejeong adjusts her seat as she asked again. “Have you looked onto the loans I asked you?”

I couldn’t. We’re busy with the mass deaths. Their lives at stake.

“What?! It’s our future that’s at stake-“

Chungha hung on her and Sejeong decides to call it a night.

Sets of footsteps passed by yet Sejeong had snored to dreamland.

+++

The next day went drastic. Sejeong woke up and witnessed a morning view of dead bodies by the river. She called authorities quickly and they acted to get the bodies.

It wasn’t only Gangwondo. Other areas in the country have also witnessed the same situation. The Department of Health and Welfare alleged with Seoul Hospital and the CDC to settle the matter, restricting any word towards the press, identifying the cause of the deaths, and conducting social control towards the relatives of the victims.

Sejeong was still in Gangwondo as she received a call from Mimi.

We got the tox result. There’s no toxic content in the river. The water is A-graded clean.

“What?” Sejeong reacted. “How can that be?!”

Come back to Seoul. We’re having a meeting here. The three sectors will be discussing matters.

Sejeong didn’t have a choice as she ran back to her car and drove off.

+++

“Sojin-nim!”

A tall woman was with her crew as they had a recent case of a dead old woman in a bathroom. Jang Sojin, head of the CDC and the Department of Health and Welfare, checked the scenario, seeing the dead body drowned in the tub.

“L-Look.” Her assistant pointed.

She gasped as she saw worms. She got a tube and called another assistant. “Extract them carefully and call Xiening.”

+++

Liu Xiening, head doctor of Seoul Hospital, had checked the sample Sojin sent as the rest of the specialists gathered, even her right-hand, Chungha.

“These resemble horsehair worms.” Xiening concluded.

“But aren’t horsehair worms parasites from animals?” Chungha asked.

“Right. But in this case, they chose humans.” Xiening suggested. “This is a different species.”

“Explain in layman term.” Sojin said.

“Gordius nudatus…” Haebin spoke.

“Right.” Xiening nodded as she went to another counter, with the rest following her. “They are worms that dwell inside insects, disrupting the nervous system to make them go in water. Once the worms mature, they go out of the host’s body to reproduce.”

“But a human? How could the process be possible?” Chungha was shocked.

“Mutant variants could be a term for these parasites. The same effects apply to the human host.” Xiening explained. “The parasites transmit themselves into the host through the or mouth and stay at the intestinal tracts until they mature.”

“Hosts then would be uncertain that they’re giving nutrients to the parasite and once maturity is complete, the host would feel excessive thirst and go to the water. In the worst-case scenario, the hosts would have cachexia.” Haebin got the idea as she added.

“No wonder the victims looked like suffering from excessive malnutrition.” Sojin nods. “Is there a past case similar to this?”

The medical experts shook their heads. Sojin gave the water samples and Xiening told Chungha to check it.

“Larvae could be found in the waters. They lay eggs exponentially.” Xiening said.

“Will the results be given today?” Sojin asked.

“Yes.” Haebin nodded.

“I got it!” Chungha exclaimed. “Dr. Liu was right!”

“Sojin, tell the sectors about this immediately! Conduct a conference! The public must be informed.” Haebin spat.

“Understood.” Sojin said as she left.

+++

The news was spread immediately. Sojin became a representative for the conference as she discussed the matters.

Everyone was in a frenzy. For Nayoung, after hearing the news, she rushed back home. As she got inside, she saw her wife and kids drinking water again. It had become a regular basis and the signs were identical to the news. Nayoung had gone worried for her family because of it.

She got their glasses and poured the water out.

“What’s wrong with you?!” Hana batted.

“Answer me.” Nayoung spoke. “Did you go with Sooyeon and her family to a stream or a river?”

“Yes. When you were busy with a project last week.” Hana answered. “The kids got bored so we went with Sooyeon and her family to the river in Bundang.”

“Aish…get them dressed.” Nayoung said as she rushed.

“Why?” Hana was confused.

“We need to get them to the hospital.” Nayoung batted.

“Why do we need to go to the hospital, Nayoung?”

“Because you might be infected with the parasites.” Nayoung spoke as she packed their stuff. “We need to make sure that you’re all okay.”

“But were fine.” Hana said as she drank water with her children.

“Haven’t you seen the news?” Nayoung stopped to ask. “The victims had the same symptoms as you three. You drink water as if you were fishes!”

Hana was shocked the she agreed to her husband’s concern. She told Mina and Hyeyeon to dress up and they rushed to the nearest hospital.

+++

As the news was spread to the public, the hospitals ran with abrupt errands from various patients. For the three heads, they had a private meeting with regards to the parasites.

“The parasites dwell into the intestines, blending within the organ and getting nutrients from the host. Physical extraction can’t be done due to risks of hemorrhage.” Haebin said.

“How about extraction towards reservoirs and vermicides?” Sojin suggested.

“Impossible!” Xiening batted. “Think of the side effects it can uphold towards the victims!”

“And so?! Are we just going to let he people die?!” Sojin batted back. “We’ll do protocols until we find a solution! Haebin! Conduct a conference about this!”

Haebin went off but Chungha went to stop her. Sojin decided to call the meeting adjourned but Xiening wasn’t done with her.

“This isn’t right, Sojin!” Xiening grabbed her arm. “Preventing people from water won’t be enough. We should conduct quarantine to prevent more victims-“

“Protocols will be followed whether you like it or not!” Sojin yelled. “As for you, you need to lead your team and getting a solution for this mess.”

Sojin went out and Xiening was defeated. She looked at the patients from below as they were given vermicides then die five minutes later.

In her case, she had no choice.

+++

Things had gone for the worst in South Korea. The fiasco of parasitic contamination has taken a toll on most of the citizens. It was like a zombie apocalypse as many got infected and were famished for water.

Sejeong and Mimi were facing the fiasco in Gangwondo as the villagers went mad. The chief was crying due to his ignorance as Sejeong and Mimi were called to come back to Seoul.

A ring disrupts Sejeong’s field of thought as she answered. “Yes, Chungha.”

You need to return. Your sister-in-law and nieces are infected.

Sejeong hung up but before she and Mimi could go, the villagers have rampaged.

+++

Nayoung thanked Chungha for the reservation but as they were ready to go, Hana submerged herself onto the sink. Nayoung stops her but she had her children to worry.

Mina raced towards the door and Hana even joined her that Nayoung grabbed them both. She looked back and Hyeyeon was climbing out of the balcony.

“Water! Water!” She yelled as she panted.

“No, Hyeyeon-ah!” Nayoung rushed to get her.

Mina and Hana rushed out again. Nayoung carried Hyeyeon and went to get the two of them. Nayoung pinned Hana with her legs and she got Mina and Hyeyeon in her arms. The three struggled but Nayoung made sure they weren’t going anywhere.

Hours passed and the three finally fainted from exhaustion. Nayoung panted, sweat coursing through her body as she sighed of the future, knowing that her mother and children are affected.

She prays that a cure can be found soon.

+++

Xiening, Sojin, Chungha, and Haebin could freeze of the aftermath of their situation. From witnessing a rampage of victims to hearing news of dead people around Seoul and watching some die in the hospital, it was crazy.

Haebin clenched Sojin’s collar but Xiening and Chungha stop her. Xiening did the clenching and Sojin huffed.

“Now look of the consequence of your decision.” Xiening batted. “The damage has been done now so what are you going to do?”

A cry of a child disrupted them and Chungha went to comfort her. With the situation at hand, they made sure to handle the situation properly this time.

+++

Sejeong and Mimi witnessed the villagers die in the river that they couldn’t sleep. The morning came and the chief finally decided to talk to the officers.

“It was night time. I was taking a bath when I saw some people releasing dogs. The dogs swam into the water and their owners left them here.” He began. “I thought they were bastards leaving them behind because the dogs were in a bad shape.”

“And you didn’t report to authorities?” Mimi batted, looking pissed.

“It was close to tourist season. I couldn’t bear to jeopardize an annual income.” He said. “The dogs died and I buried their bodies on the mountain. I take the blame for what happened to the village…”

Mimi could kill the out of the chief for his ignorance. For Sejeong, she got a call again.

“Suhyun?” Sejeong was shocked to finally get a call from her.

I tracked the shares of Gx9 Insurance!

+++

Sojin had gone mad with the time and the news that she scolded her staff and had another fight with Haebin.

“What have you told the public?” Sojin gritted her teeth.

“It was for evacuation purposes, Sojin.” Haebin defended. “The President himself had made a decreed for everyone to evacuate.”

“The remedy?” Sojin asked for Xiening.

“Still on-going.” Xiening answered.

“Until when? Until the majority of the country dies?!” Sojin banged her fist. “Keep you acts together and get on the remedy!”

“Xiening-nim!” Chungha arrived as she panted. “Something’s up.”

+++

Nayoung had taken her family to the evacuation area. They were almost sandwiched inside a covered court, with Nayoung tucking Hyeyeon close as she lets her drink water.

“Honey…” Hana spoke. “…I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have taken the kids to the river.”

“It’s not your fault, darling.” Nayoung eases her. “I’m the one who should be sorry. I failed as a father looking out for her family.”

“Appa…” Mina mumbled as she laid in Hana’s arms. “…are we going to die?”

“Don’t say that, my big trooper. You’ll be well once you get the medicine.” Nayoung reasoned.

“Why aren’t they giving it to us?” Mina asked again. “You work as a saleswoman for an insurance company with a pharmacy. Can’t you tell them to hurry?”

“It’s still being processed. It’ll be on its way. I’ll tell them.” Nayoung said. “Promise me you’ll be strong and take the medicine. I’ll take you to a theme park. Hyeyeon and Eomma will come too.”

“Really?” Mina gleamed despite of being weak.

“Promise.” Nayoung said.

Another news came that it made Nayoung jolt up. Her family wondered but all she could say was that…

“It’s a medicine done by the company.”

+++

Nayoung ran to every pharmacy of the said drug but there was no supply. She even rushed back to the office to get some supply but she was greeted by Heehyun scrambling onto a list.

“Heehyun!” Nayoung grabs her attention. “Do we have a stock for Omega 9?”

“Not even here.” Heehyun huffed. “I contacted every pharmacy but they have no stock, to think that it was disclosed a year ago.”

“Will there be process of manufacturing?” Nayoung asked.

“It’s uncertain but they’re rushing it today.” Heehyun answered.

Nayoung had no leads and decided to run back to her family.

+++

The worst-case scenario occurred in one night. The government has made desperate measures and isolated the infected ones inside. The relatives were refuting against it, even Nayoung.

Inside, Hana was clinging onto her children. Mina was feisty but Hana maintained her hold as death was in front of her. The rest had gone crazy for water and other collapsed to their demise. Some even made plans to escape.

“Eomma…” Hyeyeon sniffled.

“Water!” Mina struggled.

“No!” Hana held her tight again.

+++

In Seoul Hospital, Sojin had threw a fuse in front of everyone. Xiening and Haebin rushed as Sojin yelled. “The manufacturer couldn’t create a single pill! Bull!”

“This is crazy! Even if we were to create something, it will be too late!” Haebin raged. “What the hell, Jang Sojin?!”

“Stop it.” Xiening disrupts another feud. “Chungha got something from before. She had called Gx9 Insurance.”

“And?” Haebin asked.

“, why didn’t I think of that?!” Sojin called her staff. “Call the head manufacturer of Gx9 Pharmacy! We’ll be doing a trial!”

“Eh?!” Haebin gasped. “You may be a part of the Cabinet but now’s not the time!”

“Sojin’s a politician?!” Xiening gasped too.

“I’m head of the Department of Health and Welfare for a reason.” Sojin said. “Gx9 Insurance holds the pharmacy that manufactures Omega 9, the said antidote against horsehair worms. We tell the head to let Ideal Corporation dispose the patent for the medicine’s composition, we can get other manufacturers to produce the drug for rapid distribution.”

“Exactly.” Haebin spoke. “Chungha, call the head.”

“Ne.” Chungha nodded.

+++

The trial went on and Sojin had to attend and made negotiations with the Cabinet members. They agreed to it and they faced the head manufacturer for Gx9 Pharmacy Lee Jaehwan.

It was crucial. Jaehwan would always refute against the distribution of the medicine’s composition. But Sojin didn’t give up and so did the Cabinet.

“We got a report that Ideal Corporation got 51% of its sales, the 40% of it from Gx9 Pharmacy.” Sojin stated. “Give the word about the patent and there be privileges.”

“Yes.” Prime Minister Han Sanghyuk said. “President Cha has made it clear.”

“Alright.” Jaehwan nodded. “I’ll give the word.”

It was a recess and Sojin rubbed her temples as she remained on her seat.

+++

Nayoung raced to Gx9 Pharmacy. Heehyun was aware that her family was infected so she looked for any stock remaining in the crevices of the manufacturing house.

Nayoung could thank God for Heehyun got her the last box. The two arrived and got access to get in since they worked there.

“Got the money, right?” Heehyun asked and got the box. “Why the did it have to cost three dollars?!”

“Doesn’t matter. Thanks for this.” Nayoung spoke and kept it.

They got out again and Nayoung decided to go back when she saw a woman crying with her dying baby.

She couldn’t help her. She still has her family to worry about…

…but why does the divinity have to test her self-worth and conscience?

“Here.” She rushed quietly towards the woman and child and gave one tablet.

The woman was grateful. Nayoung felt relieved but her help was repaid but a suspecting victim.

She was screwed. The rest found out that she had the cure and raced towards her. They were predators and she was their prey.

“Nayoung!!” Heehyun rushed towards the crowd.

Nayoung was beaten to a pulp. What made it worse that she lost her stock and the rest just wasted it because of insanity. Heehyun managed to get Nayoung up as they sat helplessly by the car.

“That was the last one! How could you let yourself slip, Kim Nayoung?!” Heehyun yelled.

Nayoung banged her head as her act of empathy went down the drain. She only had grains of the medicine in hand. How could she help her family now?

A buzz was felt as Nayoung got her phone and answered.

Appa…

“Mina-ya…what is it, my big girl?” Nayoung asked.

Where are you? Come here! Hurry!

She even heard Hyeyeon’s cries. Nayoung hung up and she and Heehyun went back to the evacuation area.

+++

It was chaos.

Sojin blew up a fuse with the other members of the Cabinet. Lee Jaehwan called Ideal Corporation and they refused to disclose the patent of the medicine’s composition.

On the other side, Nayoung arrived and they weren’t given entry to see the infected. A call from Chungha didn’t help either. The words that the government will handle the situation pissed Nayoung off.

Nayoung got a video call from Hana and Nayoung checked if they were okay. “Honey…they won’t let us in.”

What about the medicine?

“None.” Nayoung lied for her sake.

Why won’t they let you inside? Are they giving up on us? Nayoungie, please…even if they did, don’t give up on us…

“Of course not!” Nayoung spoke as a tear dropped. “Be strong for me, okay?”

Mina and Hyeyeon are barely holding on.

Hearing from her kids broke Nayoung’s heart. “I’m so sorry…”

It’s okay. You did what you could. Have you eaten yet?

“How could you worry about me at a time like this?!” Nayoung yelled.

Okay. I’ll call you later.

+++

Hana ended her call as she teared up, looking helplessly at her resting kids. Being as weak at them and seeing more people die inside, she ended up joining them as usual.

Another woman cried next to her, holding her son. Hana looked at her and called. “Hey.”

The woman stopped as she looked at her. Hana sighed and spoke. “Don’t cry. You need to be strong for your son.”

She nodded. Hana looked at her sleeping daughters as she promised to do the same thing for them.

+++

Outside, Nayoung was crying. Heehyun sat with her and comforted her.

“Nayoung, don’t blame yourself.”

“How can I not?” Nayoung asked. “I can’t even look after my own family and I acted like an idiotic saint! I am an idiot, Heehyun!”

“But it doesn’t make sense.” Heehyun said. “Horsehair worms are parasites, not viruses. Yet, it caused rampage throughout the country. Another thing is that Omega 9 was developed last year. Even if it was disclosed, there should be at least a million boxes in stock. Even if it were to be consumed for a year, there’s still 100,000. Each box has 4 doses, good enough for 400,000 people.”

“Then…” Nayoung stopped crying as she thought. “…why wouldn’t there be any more stock?”

“Maybe they weren’t there or…” Heehyun spoke. “…someone hoarded them away?”

“Like the black market!” Nayoung spoke as she ran off, leaving Heehyun to chase her.

+++

“Are these the people who bought the shares?” Sejeong asked as she got some pictures.

“Yes. They’re unidentified.” Suhyun said. “No names nor records for civil service.”

“So what do you suggest?” Sejeong asked.

“They’re surrogates for the real shareholders.” Suhyun said.

“Not even a face?” Sejeong asked.

“No.” Suhyun shook her head.

“Dickhead.” Sejeong hissed.

“There’s this one.” Suhyun showed the last one. “A mentally disabled farmer. Another thing is that one of his eldest sons is a researcher of a pharmacy.”

“What pharmacy?” Sejeong asked.

“Gx9 Pharmacy.”

+++

“How about this?” Jaehwan spoke and the Cabinet went quiet. “Taking possession of the company would be one way. Our company wants profit. If you offer a price, then they’ll let you have it.”

“Are you sure about this, Sanghyuk-nim?” Sojin asked. “It could cost a lot.”

Sanghyuk got a call from President Cha as he answered. He also told the situation and got a decision. He hung up and spoke. “Name your price.”

Sojin was shocked but then she also got a call. “Xiening.”

Sojin. You need to come here this instant.

+++

“What do you mean isolating them is crucial?” Sojin was shocked.

“The worms take three to four months to reproduce and only require water. Isolating the victims from water would cause the worms to force their way out.” Xiening explained.

“Meaning?”

“It’s the reason to why we’re getting news that the isolated victims are suffering. You thought isolating them from water would prevent the disease but no, it’s not simple as that.” Haebin said. “If the external factors trigger, the parasite will put up one big fight.”

“Worst cases would be hemorrhage…and the parasite will force its way out through the .” Chungha finished.

“President Cha has made a decreed. Prime Minister Han decided to invest for Gx9 Pharmacy. That way, they can handle the company for the distribution of Omega 9.” Sojin said.

“Is that even certain, Sojin?” Haebin asked.

“Even I’m uncertain.” Sojin said. “Continue the procedures for the antidote. If matters go for the worse, we’ll go with Plan B.”

“Noted.” The three nodded.

+++

Nayoung had been in her office to research for any market that might sell Omega 9. She spent the whole time eyeing the screen and taking down notes for any lead until she called a merchant and found the building close to Ideal Corporation.

She went up the 5th floor and went to the second room, ringing the doorbell.

Yes?

“I’m the one who called.” Nayoung said.

You’re in luck. It’s my last box. You got the money?

“I did.” Nayoung said and gave the envelope.

She waited outside for the transaction. Later, the box was out. Nayoung went to grab it when.

“Freeze! Police!”

Nayoung saw Sejeong and Mimi as the door closed shut. Nayoung knocked when Mimi dragged her away and Sejeong kicked the door open. The other officers got inside. Mimi followed as Nayoung ran inside, seeing the merchant handcuffed and something being flushed in the toilet.

Nayoung saw that it was the medicine that she went desperate to get it but it was flushed all the way. Nayoung got mad for her lost second chance as the merchant was sent away.

“Unnie.”

Nayoung saw Sejeong that she tackled and punched her. “You! You lost my chance!! How am I supposed to cure my family now?!”

Sejeong defended but still got hit, costing her a bruised forehead and cheek. Sejeong stopped her and pinned her tight. “Unnie-“

“You bastard!” Nayoung struggled. “I’m going to kill you-“

“Unnie!!! Listen to me!!” Sejeong yelled that caused Nayoung to stop. “I know you hate me now but please…hear me out.”

“What now?!” Nayoung yelled.

“I know where they’re hiding the Omega 9.”

Nayoung went calm as Sejeong still pinned her.

“I had Mimi and Suhyun to secure the area so it will give me time to explain what happened.” Sejeong said. “We got a lead from a researcher at Gx9 Pharmacy. They orchestrated this whole pandemonium. It was a plan conducted by the same insurance company that lost your share!”

Sejeong and Mimi found the eldest son Suhyun talked about. Sejeong dealt with him herself as Mimi called the rest of the officers to secure the place.

Beating him up and locking themselves, Sejeong made a notion to kill him. The researcher surrendered and decided to confess everything.

Long time ago, just before 50% of Gx9 Insurance shares would be sold to Ideal Corporation, a special research project was to be launched will full support from the former CEO.

It was a top-secret project of horsehair worm’s ability to manipulate the host’s brain. An antidote was supposed to be made for it against neurological diseases. If the proteins of the worms were to be discovered for that antidote, it would become a catalyst in pharmaceutical history.

The first phase was to create a mutant worm in canines for testing. After countless attempts, they succeeded. With that came a breakthrough in creating the antidote. But with the word that Gx9 Insurance invested most of the pharmaceutical shares to Ideal Corporation, it was postponed.

Why?

One, the new CEO dismantled the R&D department. Two, the former CEO killed himself and. And three, the researchers lost their credentials. But another silver lining came for them.

They decided to make profit out of their research. In other words, they developed a cure, released the mutant variants through infected canines, sold it to the market as a vermicide, and took shares from the insurances of random citizens registered in Gx9 Insurance as a last draw.

“Those bastards!” Nayoung hissed as she cried.

“I know. That’s why we need to go there. Now.” Sejeong said.

+++

The two of them got to the warehouse. Mimi and Suhyun got the researcher in their hands as Nayoung rushed to get inside. Sejeong was the composed one as she had to calm her sister down.

“That’s the medicine, right?!” Nayoung spoke as she banged another door off.

Sejeong rushed to follow her inside and they saw boxes of the Omega 9. Nayoung huffed and went to open box when the door locked behind them. Sejeong went towards it when they heard three gunshots and a crack by the window. But what was unexpected was that a bottle was thrown and the boxes were on fire.

Nayoung went insane as she rushed to get a piece but Sejeong stops has as the fire got stronger. Nayoung ignored and wanted to look for the Omega 9. Sejeong wanted herself and Nayoung to live so she had to find a way out. But as doing so, burning buts of wood fell onto her as she collapsed.

“Sejeong!” Nayoung coughed and went to her.

She got her to a safer part as the place burned and they exchanged coughs. Sejeong managed to wake up as she looked sadly at her sister.

“First was the bad investment and now this…” Sejeong huffed. “…I just wanted to make it up to you but I always fail…I’m really sorry, unnie…”

“Stop saying such things. We’re getting out together!” Nayoung huffed and went to find a way out too.

Nayoung bangs the other door. The fire was spreading as she bangs the door harder with a spade. Another set of burning wood fell on Nayoung and she collapses. Sejeong wanted to come to her sister’s aid but she could only drag herself closer as she collapsed with her.

Nayoung had her eyes on the ceiling as she teared up. Sejeong withdrew and was next to her, motionless.

Will it be the end for her and her family?

+++

Hana had lost herself with the disease, letting go of her children as she ran towards a full dispenser and drank. The cries of her children became insignificant as she buries herself onto the gushing fluid.

“Stop!” The same woman she gave words to stopped her as she struggled. “You have to be strong! You said those words to me for my son! Now look at your children!”

Something awakened in Hana as she saw Mina and Hyeyeon hugging each other and calling her as they wept. Hana was drawn back to her senses as she was stopped.

Nayoung will return with a cure. Remember that.

“Nayoungie…” Hana huffed and got back to her children.

Mina and Hyeyeon cried with their mother, uncertain of the future ahead of this pandemonium.

+++

Sunbaenim!

Unnie, wake up! Wake up!

A flash from the rays of the sun and faces greeted Nayoung. Feeling a mask by for oxygen, she jolted and huffed. She saw Chungha, Sejeong, and even Mimi and Suhyun injured.

“Unnie, are you okay?” Sejeong got closer and helped her up. “How do you feel?”

Nayoung saw the researcher dead and the warehouse in ashes. She rushed inside despite of the firemen stopping her. Pushing them aside, she got inside and felt the world fall as the boxes that contained the salvation of her family from the disease in ashes.

She rushed, holding the crisp covers, hoping to at least find a box. But to no avail, the fire consumed everything. Nayoung felt hopeless as she cried. Sejeong and Chungha were witnessing it and Sejeong teared up.

Nayoung’s phone buzzed and she answers it quickly. “Honey…”

Nayoungie. They’ll be taking our phones. I thought I should talk to you last.

“What?” Nayoung was shocked.

Whatever happens, please promise me that you do not take the burden on your shoulders. You did everything you could for me…for Mina…and for Hyeyeon…

“Stop it!” Nayoung yelled as her tears dropped. “What are you saying?”

You’ve been a good husband to me and you’ve always been a good father to our children.

“What happened to being strong?!” Nayoung sobbed. “Please…just a little longer…”

Appa…Appa, I miss you…

“Mina-ya…” Nayoung was losing it. “Mina, my big trooper. I miss you too…”

Appa…when are you coming back?

“Hyeyeon, baby…” Nayoung sniffled. “Appa’s here. I’ll return soon. Be strong for me, please…I-I’ll have your medicine-“

The call was cut off. Nayoung called for her wife and children but the line was disconnected. Nayoung puts her phone down and sobbed.

Sejeong couldn’t look at her sister. Chungha got a call from Xiening and she rants to quicken the pace of the antidote and about the infected being isolated. Haebin and Sojin joined her and Sojin yelled the out.

Just give us a week!

“Bull!” Chungha hissed.

She saw Nayoung still knelt as she cried silently. She got closer and decided to comfort her. “Sunbae…don’t worry. Gx9 Pharmacy is now in the hands of the government and Seoul Hospital is one of the primary heads. They can finally disclose the composition of Omega 9 so that other manufacturers can duplicate it.”

A thought hits Nayoung. She remembered the time she made soap for Mina and Hyeyeon. With that she realized something. She knew its chemical components and they don’t change despite of varying physical components. And she realizes she could do the same for the antidote.

Nayoung gets up and faced them. “Let’s go to Gx9 Pharmacy. Now.”

+++

The three drove with the same truck. Chungha called for Xiening and Haebin as Sejeong got a call from Mimi of more details with their investigation. Sejeong hung up and spoke. “Unnie…this wasn’t a plan by the researchers only.”

“What do you mean?” Nayoung asked.

“The dead researcher was the team leader. According to the recent investigation, they conspired with the CEOs of Gx9 and Ideal Corp to plan this pandemonium for the money.”

“Cheap bastards.” Nayoung hissed.

“Also, there are crude drugs found in Gx9 Pharmacy for Omega 9.”

“Good!” Nayoung yelled as she drove.

“Sunbae, what are you playing at?” Chungha asked. “Are you even sure you can make another drug for this?”

“Eh!?” Sejeong reacred.

“Chemical components are constant in substances, whatever the form. With the components of an existing drug, an addition of crude drugs can create mockups for that existing drug.” Nayoung explained. “If I can get the crude drug, I can duplicate the Omega 9.”

They got to the pharmacy and many uninfected people protested. Nayoung got down as she calls the attention of the people. “Listen, everyone!!!”

They all looked at her as Nayoung cuts to the chase. “Inside that pharmacy is a crude drug that can be used to duplicate Omega 9. Please help me to save our families!!!”

The people agreed instantly and helped defending. Nayoung got back to the vehicle as she spoke. “Chungha. Let your Head know of this. Sejeong, go back to the evacuation area and check on Hana and the kids!”

She saw a familiar person and pulled her out of the crowd. “Heehyun.”

“Yah, Kim Nayoung!” Heehyun gasped.

“No time to react. Take Sejeong to the evacuation center where my family’s at with your car! Now!!”

Sejeong and Heehyun went off. Nayoung got back to drive as Chungha ended the call.

“I got Xiening-nim notified. Haebin will catch up to meet us.” Chungha said.

“That would take long. We need to get in now.” Nayoung spoke as she turned the engine up a notch.

The people made way and Nayoung backed away. She drove fast, knocking the gates off. She sped towards the manufacturing house where a group of medical technicians and a car stayed. Nayoung and Chungha got out and met Haebin and Xiening.

“Where’s the crude drug?” Nayoung asked as she pointed her gun.

“Sunbaenim!” Chungha puts it down.

“Follow me.” Haebin spoke as she decided to hop on the truck.

“Chungha, we need to go back.” Xiening spoke as they get in the car. “The antidote was rushed. Its components will be added to the mockup drug. We’ll go to the head manufacturers to distribute it.”

Chungha nodded and the four people went in pairs in separate ways. Nayoung and Haebin were in an epic ride as they got to the storage room. They got down, seeing that the first area was locked. Nayoung shot the lock and Haebin opened the doors and got inside. She got to the barrels and got one of them, carrying it as the rest of her team got in.

“What are you all staring at? Help me! We have lives to save!” Haebin batted.

They nodded and got all the barrels to the truck. Nayoung and Haebin rode off again to follow Xiening and Chungha towards the manufacturing houses.

During the drive, Haebin cuts the formalities. “Not even a hi, Nayoung?”

“I know it’s been a while, Haebin.” Nayoung spoke.

“Now I’m an idiot. How could I forget that you were a smart in sciences and that you can actually duplicate a drug?” Haebin hissed and sighed.

“What’s done is done.” Nayoung spat to shut her up.

“Yeah…” Haebin nodded.

+++

Nayoung and Haebin managed to catch up with Xiening and Chungha and Nayoung oriented the heads of the manufacturing house on how the mockup drugs will be made. Everyone was astonished of Nayoung, that an ordinary saleswoman was smart and actually knew this. Everyone listened carefully and obeyed.

“Legality won’t be an issue. Lives are at stake here so we need to distribute this medicine to the evacuation centers first.” Xiening commanded.

The heads nodded and disseminated the crude drugs on their respective houses. Nayoung hopped back to the truck and the other three went back to Seoul Hospital. Nayoung drove back to the evacuation area, hoping and praying that her family still lived.

+++

It was a fiasco inside the evacuation center. Countable ones were dying and Hana even had to ease herself and her children. Looking up, she saw a sprinkler.

She thought of turning the alarm to let water spray and quench the thirst of everyone. But she realized that it will kill them so she resisted. It all changed when a woman had the same thought.

“Mina, take Hyeyeon away to the podium. Now.” Hana said.

Mina obeyed despite of her weak state as Hana ran towards the woman to stop her. It was a fight and everyone watched them, all the while they thought of the same idea that they stampeded towards Hana as she blocked the alarm.

Above the area, Sejeong and Heehyun ran up to the water valves. Sejeong saw Hana stopping the people from pressing the alarm that she and Heehyun rushed to turn them off. They did it just in time.

“Shoot…” Heehyun huffed. “…I could kick your now for ruining your sister’s life.”

“You can now.” Sejeong panted back.

“I won’t.” Heehyun said as Sejeong looked at her. “You have proven yourself. Now go and come to your family’s aid.”

Sejeong nodded and went back. She looked for Hana and the kids and managed to find them.

“Samcheon!” The kids went to hug her.

“Sejeong.” Hana joined in and hugged Sejeong too.

“Stay by the tent.” Sejeong helps them out as they sat. “The medicine will come soon.”

The door swung open and Nayoung came in, her eyes looking around for her children. She saw them with Sejeong and felt overjoyed to see them still alive.

“Appa~!!!” Mina and Hyeyeon saw her and ran closer.

“Mina-ya! Hyeyeon-ya!” Nayoung rushed and hugged her children close.

The three wept. Hana got to them and knelt as she cried. “Honey…”

“Hana, come here!” Nayoung pulled her and the family finally hugged in reunion.

Sejeong smiled looking at them. Hana was ecstatic, knowing all her efforts to be strong were worth it. Mina and Hyeyeon were happy to see their father again. And for Nayoung, she was happy to see her family again.

+++

Sojin was into a deep situation. Without the presence of President Cha and Prime Minister Han, she was held accountability to sign the contract for Gx9 Insurance and Ideal Corporation.

She checked the contracts and made the notion to sign when she got a text from Xiening and Haebin.

H: We got the drugs manufactured.

X: The crude drug is enough for production. Don’t sign the contracts.

“Excuse me!” A police officer wearing a cast came inside. “A notification from President Cha and Prime Minister Han.”

“What’s the matter?” The Gx9 Insurance CEO asked.

Sojin lets her come in as she was handed a document. She read them over that she slammed the papers and crumpled the contracts. “You insolent bastards! You planned this pandemonium all along, huh?!”

Sojin passed the documents out and the Cabinet was dismayed. Sojin got the contracts and threw them away. “The deal is off!”

The officer called her crew and the CEOs were sent away. Sojin shared the news to the Cabinet and they cheered. She smiled herself and called the officer.

“What happened to you?” She asked.

“Injury.” She asked.

“Name?” Sojin asked.

“Jung Mimi.”

+++

All has been well for South Korea. The drugs were made quickly and were distributed to the different evacuation areas. Every infected person got to drink the medicine and felt the relief in three days. And a week after, the delusion of horsehair worms has come to an end.

CEO Kian Cho of Gx9 Insurance and CEO Samson Shin of Ideal Corporation were found out to be responsible for the epidemic just for their selfish plan. They were pressed with charges and mockery from the public.

Friendship developed, especially with Nayoung’s family, the three heads, and the two cops. Hana was still a loyal wife and mother and got work as a saleswoman in a pharmacy. Sojin was now the Prime Minister and managed the health and medical departments mostly. Sejeong became Chief of the Seoul Police Department and married Chungha. Nayoung became the new CEO of Gx9 Insurance with Heehyun as her COO. Haebin became head doctor at Seoul Hospital. Mimi was the new head of the CDC. Xiening was the department head on health and Sojin’s wingman, and little Hyeyeon and Mina went to school and had dreams of becoming experts in medicine like their father.

The delusion may have passed and ruined the lives of the South Koreans but all was well in the end.

+++

“Finally, they brought the news of those idiots up.” Sejeong said as she ate noodles. “They are a symbol of abandoning humanity.”

“Same as you before, only thinking about money.” Chungha batted as she ate with her.

“I’m a reformed character now. I learned it the hard way.” Sejeong said. “Anyways, let’s eat quickly. We’ll be late for the play.”

+++

Two kids were smiling as they ride the carousel. Their parents were watching as a pink-haired woman took pictures of them. “Aigoo…so lovely…”

“It’s been a while, honey. Just look at those cute smiling faces.” Hana said.

“I’ve been an idiotic father.” Nayoung sighed. “I should’ve taken us sooner.”

“You were busy.” Hana hugged her.

“I thank you for pulling through.” Nayoung smiled.

“And I thank you for saving South Korea and us.” Hana said as she pecked her lips.

They smiled and looked at the kids again. Nayoung had an arm around Hana as she said. “Let’s go on a trip overseas.”

“Where?” Hana asked.

“You pick the country, as long as it has a lot of pharmacies.” Nayoung said.

“You think there are horsehair worms outside the country?” Hana asked that made Nayoung freeze. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” Nayoung answered.

At the back of mind, she might have to be ready to face any delusion.

===

That was Delusion. Thank you for reading. For the one who requested it, my bae, sorry that it took a while. This would be, so far, my best breakthrough for this collection since it involved all nine members and featured other characters from the Produce 101 circle. I hope it's the same for the readers. 

Lovelots, asahdako <3