Apocalypse (Sejeong • Nayoung)

The Multiplication Table for Readers

Title: Apocalypse

Characters: Kim Sejeong, Kim Nayoung

Requested by: gugudanist

===

The world had gone mad and so did my conscience. Living in a post-apocalyptic world with the inevitability of a bright future, one would question of the point of living when all humans had only one option: to run.

I heard the grossing screams of the people getting suffocated by the gas outside which had turned the likes of them into monstrous beings. The TV was on, breaking on the said news of the gas leak, the great war, and the mutation of humans within the contaminated area. I looked around the house, making sure that it was completely sealed. The aircon would ease leaked gases but it was better to be safe than sorry.

A ring surrounded the four walls of the house and I went to get it. Seeing the caller, it hit me. I hastily answered it. "Where are you?"

I'm at home.

"Are you alone?" I asked.

Apparently so. My family were a bunch of dimwits. I told them to wear their gas masks but they got out of the house and turned into the sacrificial pancakes they are.

"Stay put. Don't follow them onto the afterlife." I demanded.

I heard ruffling noises as if she was packing clothes. The sounds triggered me, making me infuriated. "Yah! Didn't my words seep in into your ears?"

No can do, princess. I'm going there.

"You're insane! It's really dangerous outside and aome mutants will kill you along the way!" I scolded.

That's me. It's a thing I do for love.

She hung up. I had gone frantic and looked at the glass window for any signs of one unexpected and unassured expedition.

I sighed. That dork better be come here in one piece.

•••••

She was right. I looked outside my own glass window and it was chaos. A part of me took her heed but most of it wanted to get to her and to be with her. I thought maybe she might be lonely and she might get herself in harm if she was alone. And in times like these, living ones need to gather up and team up in order to survive.

Packing the last of my things, I put my backpack on and got the suit, checking for any damages before putting it on. I grabbed the gas mask and disinfected it by the backyard and went out.

Haha...nice move, Kim Nayoung.

Looking around all while running for my life was one ty part of my existence now. A war is happening, the gas is as toxic as acid rain, and the least part of the human population have become sacrificial pancakes and are now composed of the mutant population, almost like the ones in a zombie apocalypse found in books and movies. Never in the lives of many thought it would be real. And for us who have lived, it takes a matter of perseverance to survive.

Her house was a bit far so I had to quicken the pace. A bunch of them following didn't help but I had to be keen. Seeing a plank of wood, I grabbed it and ran. As soon as I got to the door, I knocked and hit their heads, sending them fying in the air like tossing a watermelon. I heard the door unlock and I went in, disinfecting my suit and getting myself off of it. As I got in, I was greeted by a slap on the face.

•••••

"You tall idiot!" I yelled. " I ask you one thing. One thing!"

"I know. I'm sorry, Sejeong. But to the least I lived, right?" She spoke.

It made sense. If she wasn't, well...

"Where's your bathroom?" She asked.

I motioned her to follow me and we got to the bathroom. She washed her face by the sink and wiped it with her shirt.

"How's outside?" I asked.

"It's madness in a masterpiece." She commented. "The war is going on, the mutants are populating exponentially, and the gas is fogging up the area. I couldn't see much when I ran at that time but I managed to get here."

I continue to look at her as she washed and wiped alternatively. She stopped to look at me and I crossed me fingers. I was mad. "Nayoung."

"Yes?" Nayoung asked.

"Do anything reckless again and I'll kill you myself." My gaze would've been etched by fear now. "I was worried sick when I heard those ruffling noises. And I worried to the point that I'll lose my sanity. Jesus, Nayoung..." I ran a hand by my hair.

Nayoung sighed and I looked away, still angry thst she became the idiot and coming here almost uncertainly but relieved that she wasn't going to turn into the likes of sacrificial pancakes, that she's here in one piece.

"Yah, Sejeong." Nayoung spoke. "How could I leave my girlfriend all alone?"

Such words soften my heart and it made me sigh hard.

In the amidst of this forsaken life, happiness should be there. But to me, despite of bring happy outside, inside I was a meek lamb, almost ironic. All happening because of this madness made me lose that essence of assurance and happiness but I found it in one person.

It was this dork in front of me who goes by the name of Kim Nayoung.

I met her during the first time I auditioned for an entertainment label and ended up being fellow trainees. We had our bonds and what not until it came to a point that we were attracted to each other like magnets.

And when the world turned into the it is now, Nayoung helped me through this. She made me continue to laugh and maintained a positive vibe as if time will come that we will all be free and that there will finally be a cure despite of it caving beyong ourselves. It's almost inevitable to why I had gone worried for this dork. Anything bad happening to Nayoung would be the death of me.

"I know, Nayoung. But please..." I sighed again, almost my teeth.

"Okay, okay..." Nayoung raises her arms. "We shouldn't be rancid about this. What matters is that we're still living."

I nodded and reached to hug her tight. She, in turn, hugged me back, all while patting it. "We'll be alright. I'm not going to let anything happen to you. I promise."

Promise is a really big word, almost unassured if granted yet enticingly bitter if broken. But in my case, at the end of the day, I believe her.

It's a thing I do for love.

•••••

Another day and another chance, I wake up I wanna dance

So as long as I got my friends...

I'm better (x3)

Yep. That upbeat song was almost like a salvation within this madness as we start another day with our daily routine. It would be going on within the course of time. Now, we were still inside the house, not because of an end result that we were expecting our loved ones to return but with the chaos outside, it's risky to travel elsewhere.

Sejeong may be bright but she wasn't tough so I played that role for the both of us. There are chances that our minds would be messed up because of this chaos but there wasn't any option good enough in order for us to survive. Back down and we'll die so we only have ourselves and each other to get through every obstacle this life had to offer.

And in my case, as Sejeong's girlfriend, I'll keep her alive and healthy. It was my word.

After the usual routines, Sejeong and I sat by the couch and had our talks when a knock was on the door. I turned to the door and stood up and I was restricted. Sejeong was looking worriedly at me as she held my wrist.

"Don't. It could be a mutant." Sejeong spoke.

"And it could be a person. I just need to check it." I said.

I got towards the door and peer at the peephole. It was a mutant and it was breaking the door. I cussed and grabbed Sejeong and we made a run by the rooms. I got Sejeong inside but we didn't have any necessities so I went back to grab some. Getting the last pack of beef jerky, the mutant came in. I grabbed a knife and stabbed its head and sliced it off. I checked for any injuries and there were none. I put the stuff down and moved the furniture by the door to seal it.

This is . Now the living room isn't safe.

I got the stuff again and went back to the room, seeing Sejeong in a frantic state. I locked the door and put the stuff down then went closer to her. Sejeong was quick to hug me.

"You shouldn't have kicked on that mutant! You should've just stayed here!" She sniffled.

"I'm sorry." I spoke. 

With the living room unprotected, mutants would come and go. Their sounds would be resonating the whole place and it would cost us sleep. And looking at Sejeong, she was almost an insomniac panda.

"Sejeong." I spoke gently. "I need to kick for a moment. Their noises won't let you sleep if I don't wipe them off."

"No. Stay here." Sejeong shook her head.

"But you won't get to sleep properly." I reasoned but she continued to shake her head. "Alright. You better not complain of not getting any sleep."

Sejeong had her smile again as she nuzzled onto my's neck. "I love you..."

I sighed of this woman. I hug her back and ease her of her worries. "I love you too."

•••••

I woke up. It was dark. I felt something and I felt a hand patting my head. I smiled again and cuddled up to Nayoung.

She was right. The noises were disturbing us and by the looks of it, I wasn't getting any sleep at all. But even if there weren't any noises, I made a choice not to sleep. Feeling Nayoung holding me in her arms made me feel safe and worried. I fear that if I close my eyes one bit, when I wake up in the blink of an eye, she would be gone.

Nayoung is everything to me. She is the reason that I live and if I lose  her, she would be the reason of my death.

"That's it. It's pissing me off." I heard Nayoung.

I know of Nayoung's toughness and it was like cuddling to a brick wall. She's stubborn and will do any heroic act just to save me. But I didn't need it. I only needed her.

"Nayoungie..." I whined and cuddled onto her harder. "It's dark. Don't go outside."

"Sejeong, the noises are starting to piss me off. You're not getting any sleep." Nayoung sighed.

"I'd rather not get any sleep than to wake up without you here." Sejeong was about to cry.

"Almost poetic." I commented like it was a joke to make her smile.

But Sejeong wasn't the one to joke in times like these. I sighed and let go. "I'll be quicker than lightning." 

Sejeong had turned into the stubborn one and held onto me tight. But then, the noises had gotten louder. It hit me.

The mutants are inside the house. I needed to destroy them. 

"Sejeong, something's up." I spoke to get some sense into her. "Mutants have gone in. For us to survive, we need to wipe them off and move elsewhere."

Sejeong huffed and got herself composed. I checked the closets for any protective gear and I thank the Lord that there were two. I checked them for any damages and let Sejeong wear one first. I wore the other and held her hand. "Whatever happens, we'll get through this together." I look onto her despite of seeing a gas mask. "I love you."

"I love you too." Sejeong spoke beyond her own mask.

I broke the chair and got our wood as weapons. I kicked the door open and huffed.

Time to kick some .

•••••

Nayoung may be tough but the both of us were trained back in the days of self-defense. I helped Nayoung fight the mutants and made sure nothing happens to us. They have gone greater in number and staying in one place to fight them would cost our lives. As we got an opening, Nayoung and I got out and we went onto the open highway. We run for our lives as the fleet of them were behind us.

This was pure chaos. People would've gone with the usual routine of work, school, even gimmicks. But no. Our lives were plastered upon this Armageddon. And in our case with Nayoung, we were like lab rats running from the scientists of mutants who would cost us our humanitarian lives and our sanity.

With all the running, we got to a warehouse. Nayoung lets me in first and she followed, blocking the doors and windows. I managed to find a candle and lit the place. Nayoung huffed. 

"That was close." I sighed.

But Nayoung didn't say anything. She looked at me then at the place and got rid off her mask and suit. I got rid of mine and asked her. "What's wrong?"

"Look." She showed her arm and I felt the world crumbling down.

"N-No..." I was almost shaking.

Nayoung got herself bitten by the forearm. The color of her hand was changing slowly. I want to go near her but she drives herself away. 

"N-Nayoung..."

"I'm so sorry." Nayoung cried in front of me. "Stay here until it is safe."

Nayoung huffed and decided to go back outside but I stopped her, hugging her tight from the back. Nayoung shook beyond my hug. "Sejeong...whatever happens, remember?"

"No!" I yelled. "Not without you."

"S-Sejeong...it's spreading. I might turn into one." Nayoung huffed. "Please. I need to do this."

"I won't let you!" I cried. "You're the only I have..."

Nayoung's forearm was contaminated. A pang of epiphany hit me. And hearing sounds from the air of planes and helicopters, Nayoung and I had our hunches.

Such timing. 

Nayoung pushed me away and groaned. I inch closer but she moves away. Looking around the warehouse, I saw a chainsaw. It hit me again and I hastily got it. I tried turning it on and it worked.

Nayoungie...I'm so sorry...

"I'll have to cut your arm off." I mumbled. "I'm sorry, Nayoungie."

Nayoung froze and I inched closer. The contamination was on her elbow and I aimed the raging blades close to her shoulders.

"I love you so much. I can't lose you in this world." I mumbled. "This must be done. I won't let this chaos take you away from me."

Nayoung's sickening scream filled the walls, her blood splattered on me and rain fell outside.

•••••

"That is retarded." Hana spoke.

"Heol...so your own girlfriend cut off your arm just to save you?" Soyee was shocked.

I chuckled at them as I looked at my robotic arm. I was part cyborg, which is awesome, all thanks to these people in front of me.

Yes. Sejeong cut off my arm and saved me from being contaminated. The rain was actually a rain of an antidote that cured bitten humans. For the mutants, it was their death. Sejeong and I got out and went off again, looking for a place and resources since I was bleeding. We then met Haebin and she took us in. And these people in front of were her friends, lost as us but found.

"Okay. Our mother is here with our girlfriends and the kids." Soyee grinned.

She and Soyee got to them and Sejeong went to hug me. I hug her back although my robotic arm was still sloppy.

"How are you, Nayoung?" Haebin asked.

"Good." I nodded.

"Do join us for dinner later. Mimi, keep an eye on the kids. While the rest of us will prepare." Haebin instructed.

"Shall we join them?" Sejeong asked.

I could only nod as we joined the others and went on with another phase of life surviving with friends and with each other.

===

That was the update, guys. Stay tuned for two more.