Enigma (Nayoung • Mimi)

The Multiplication Table for Readers

Title: Enigma

Characters: Kim Nayoung, Jung Mimi

Requested by: lmw217

===

Bickering filled the classroom as I got to my favorite seat in the front. It ceased when the teacher came and I went with the usual routine of listening to a boring yet scrutinized class and did the usual studying regime that every coordinated student would typically do.

They say it's weird. Why would a student strain herself to be the best when it would just lead to another dose of a failing grade and a stressed mind? How could a student possibly be coordinated, risking quality education in exchange for the life of a cool kid?

But I care nonetheless. So what if I defy the laws of coolness due to my nerdy side?

Yep. That's me. Kim Nayoung, the typical nerd here in SWU.

"Yo, Kim!" Soyee waved.

She stopped by my locker and shoved her hand by the door. I slapped it off because she's barging onto my territory within the corners of my locker.

"What's your business, Jang Sojin?" I asked.

"Lose the foresaken formalities, Nayoung." She hissed as she lays her palm. "My answer key."

"Hahahaha...you're not getting anything." I batted. "Instead of ogling on Liu Xiening all day, all night and 365, why don't you prioritize your studies?"

"That's a lame life, Nayoung. You're a basis for that and to be frank..." Soyee sighed. "...you're perspective of life has no color in it."

"I don't care. Now buzz off." I batted.

Soyee cussed and went off. I sighed and just went on with the walks of life. I went on when I felt like someone just saw me in the last situation I was in.

•••••

"Phew. I thought Soyee is going to kick Nayoung's this time." Hana sighed.

"You're wishing that?" I asked back.

"Of course not." Hana said. "The perpespective of a nerd is so dull and boring but she's still a person like any of us." 

I nodded as I got to pedastal and got my lighter. I grabbed Haebin, who happened to sit and chill, and did the usual tricks on her.

"Now go and dance like a chicken." I said, snapping my fingers.

Haebin did a chicken dance and Hana just sighed of my antics. I shrugged, snapped my fingers back, and Haebin was back to normal. We let her sit back down and we went on.

"You're cute but you sure are a mean con artist sometimes." Hana said.

"I only do my speciality to anyone I wish. I have my preferences." I said.

We stopped by the lobby and Hana had to go for an important meeting with the Student Council. I could only bid goodbye and sat by the benches while playing with my lighter.

I saw Nayoung, studying again. I see her everyday in the lobby, a book or two plastered in front of her face. As I flicked with my lighter, I dropped it due to what I'm seeing.

Usually, Nayoung carries books. But why do I see a record of Skrillex by the pages? 

I got my lighter back as my curiosity increases.

•••••

The bar was always rowdy with drunkards, party-goers, and ing bastards who engage in physical combat which were a favorite of the bouncers. I was going to the pedastal and was greeted by Kim Sejeong, a pro DJ here in the bar.

"Wassup', fellow Kim?" She greeted me with a handshake.

"My hyperactivity in this new activity of mixing music through proper rhythm and harmony." I answered.

"Sounds cool enough." Sejeong said as she showed the pad. "It's an obsolete model. We were supposed to get the latest one today but the freight-in had to be a dickhead."

"It's fine, Sejeong. I can adjust." I answered again.

"For a nerdy college girl, you have a nice aura of sophistication. By the way, I've heard your mixes online and they're lit. In fact..." Sejeong tosses me her headset. "...you mix and play today's tunes."

I nodded. Sejeong lets me change onto my clothes first before I got my chance to mix and play. Sejeong had her last round and as I got to the pedastal, she plays my mix. I saw everyone loving it and I smiled of a little color of progress beyond my boring nerdy life.

I added a little mix and everyone loved it even more, even Sejeong was dancing on top of the speakers. I continued to spin, mix, play, and repeat for three hours until the bar died down as I played my slow mixes.

"Aigoo...the queen's here." Sejeong said. "It's MM."

"MM?" I asked her as I looked at the crowd making way for two women.

I was shocked. It was Shin Bora and Jung Mimi, the most popular girls in the university.

"Jung Mimi, MM as the people call her, is like a legend. Being part of the business world at age 15, she owns this bar." Sejeong said. "She even brought a gorgeous woman."

I watched Hana partying with the other women as Mimi did a little show for one crowd. I could only watch her as she got a lighter, flicking it with her skillful fingers.

"Now..." She pats a woman's back. "...kiss the person on your left."

She did exactly what Mimi said and I gasped again. I didn't know Mimi could do that.

"Confidential tricks are Mimi's speciality. Well, that explains the aura of sophistication and scrutiny combined." Sejeong said. "It's one of the reasons why she's a legendary enigma who rules these parts."

I nodded and somehow, I can't avert my eyes towards the woman. She was done with her tricks and gor served with a bourbon when I saw her eyes as they lock onto mine. She gives me a smirk and I was ed up. 

She can't find out that the nerd and DJ are of one person.

"Sejeong, I need to go now." I said.

"So soon?" She asked and I nodded. "Okay. See you again tomorrow."

I bidded goodbye, got my bag with my school uniform and went out on the back. I agihed in relief and decided to go home since there's still school tomorrow.

•••••

"Earth to Mimi!"

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked as Hana came into view.

"You've been staring into space for hours. What happened to you?" She asked.

"Nothing." I said as I got my favorite fidgeting cube. "Imm'a going to drink water by the fountain. I'll be right back."

Hana just nodded and I went out and went to the drinking fountain by the lockers. As I drank, I joticed the nerd again...and Jang Sojin had to bug her again.

I stopped drinking and went close to the women. Soyee stopped her assault as she faces me.

"What's with the interference, Mimi?" She asked me.

I flicked my lighter and Soyee looks directly at the flame. I did the usual trick and by the looks of her sullen eyes, I held back my smirk. I jabbed her shoulder lightly and I whisper.

"It's wrong to demand answers from the know-it-all. You'll avert from that thinking and work hard to get the answers yourself. Only then you will seek true answers and find peace."

I snapped my fingers and pushed her back as she leaves. I faced the nerd and she looked familiar, like the DJ from the club that I own.

"You didn't have to do that." She spoke.

"And you thought I just give you the cold shoulder?" I batted back.

"I didn't ask for your help." She said again.

"At least you should thank me." I said again.

"Fine." She sighed. "Thank you back there."

"Kim Nayoung, right?" I asked and she nodded. "So you're the nerd everyone's talking about."

"Yes. Quite a reputation, actually." Nayoung said. "And you must be the con artist Jung Mimi."

"Pleasure to meet you." I said, lending a hand.

She gladly shook it. I let out a little smile, peering her from head to toe without raising her suspicions. I could only sigh of this woman. She was as dull as a monochromatic painting, just like the rest would say.

"Mind me for my looks. I know I'm not that impressive." Nayoung spoke.

I was shocked inside. How did this woman catch my reflexes so well?

"Observant." I said. "But meh-that's just you."

"Point taken." Nayoung said. "If you'll excuse me, I need to go and study."

I let her pass and I watch her go. But seeing a record of Afrojack by her book, I wonder again.

•••••

I hastily got to my spot in the library and got my book. I was relieving myself from the tension I had with Jung Mimi. I got a little mirror and I saw my pink cheeks, my admiration etched on my whole face.

It was Mimi who saw me with Soyee days ago. It was Mimi whom I saw at the bar and it was Mimi that made my heart flutter in ways that I cannot explain. I could picture out the different sides of her, like a coin. She was still the con artist she was but the difference was obvious.

She was a chill student by day and a hot entrepreneur at night. I liked how cute she was with her calm side but I bit my lip as I remember that gaze she gave me at the bar. I huffed and went on with today as I await of another night at the bar.

Night came and I was in charge of the tunes for tonight since Sejeong was out of town. I loved it when everyone dances to my tunes and that gave me another point in my colorful progress beyond my nerdy self. I put it my prepped mixes as I decided to chill. I got my notebook and decided to study since there will be a quiz tomorrow.

"Accounting, huh?" I almost dropped my book when I saw Mimi.

"Omo-sajangnim, annyeonghaseyo." I bowed.

"I finally got to meet the DJ GS mentored." She lent a hand. "Nice to meet you, NY. I'm Mimi, owner of Gx9."

I nodded and I shook hands with her. I hid my admiration, feeling her soft hands. She retracts her hand and gazed upon the party-goers and boy, she looked hot.

"Your mixes are great like GS'. She had to excuse herself for an errand but I'm glad you managed to back up for her." Mimi said as she peers at my book. "You're still in college?"

"Yes, sajangnim." I nodded.

"Me too." She answered. "And you must address me as MM. The two-letter code for workers here is there for a reason."

"Okay, MM." I said.

"You remind me of someone." Mimi spoke and I gulped. "You're like Kim Nayoung, a nerd in my school."

"Really?" I asked, hiding the tension.

"Yeah. In fact..." She spoke as she got her lighter. "You two are almost identical."

"MM, can I stop tonight's shift?" I asked. "I need to go."

"But it's not yet the end of your shift, NY." Mimi was starting to flicker her lighter. "Stay a bit longer."

I have a bad feeling that Mimi was already raising suspicions. Being a con artist, she might defraud me into saying the truth of my identity. I decided to back away and make a run for it when Mimi held my hand and my gaze focused onto that flame.

•••••

I could've sworn she was Nayoung. I did my best to not raise suspicions and just let Nayoung be but with the records and this predicament, I needed answers now.

Her eyes have gone sullen and I let her picture out a scene in the university, just by her locker.

"Tell me." I spoke. "Why don't you study?"

She shook her head right away and pushed me off as she ran. I was back to the sight of the bar and I cussed.

"She got away from my trick!" I hissed as I saw her and ran after her outside.

I ran by the back and I saw her run. I ran after her and caught her hand when she struggled.

"Don't. Move." I spoke and she froze. "Kim Nayoung."

I felt her push me away and she didn't run away. I saw thw tears on her eyes and I felt guilty. 

"I'm so sorry." I said. "But can we talk?"

She wiped her tears off and nodded. She goes back inside and I could only follow her inside.

•••••

When everyone left, Mimi calls me to go down. We got to the counter as she serves us some flavored beer. I downed my drink instantly as she asked me.

"Why did you have to hide?" 

"Simple. Stick to the status quo." I answered. "What right do the students have to know that I'm a coloful gem hidden in the dull mud?"

"They do." Mimi batted. "You know, you don't deserve the insult that you're just a nerd, that you do nothing but plaster a book in front of your face."

"So you're saying that they need to know that I'm the oh-so-cool DJ at night just to get everyone's attention?" I batted back. "Look who's talking. You can't even tell the university that you're a stone hidden in that ball of fluff."

"If everyone knew I'm a businesswoman, they'd swoop all over me." Mimi reasoned.

"See?" I huffed. "We have our issues but seriously, Mimi..." I put a hand by my forehead. "...you shouldn't have just..."

"How can I?" Mimi asked. "How can I give a cold shoulder to the person I care so much?"

"You're tricking me again." I mumbled. 

"I'm not, Nayoung." Mimi said.

I felt the thump on my chest. I sighed as I look away. "Why did I even bother to have a crush on you?"

We chuckled. We could only look at each other, oir enigmas tossed onto the side as we wonder of the days ahead of us.

•••••

I didn't bother Nayoung's intention of hiding her vibrant self as much as she did with my serious personality. The status quo hasn't changed and we got the same treatments at the university and went on with our usual lives. During the day, I managed to hang out with Nayoung from time to time. At night, I would watch her mix and play and I enjoyed dancing to her mixes.

Another day came and it was something I didn't expect.

"Hey, Mimi." She greeted.

"What's up, Nayoung?" I greeted back.

She lowered her head and hands me a CD. "It's my latest mix." She looked around to see that the coast was clear. "I'm playing it for tonight's gig but I want you to hear it first."

"Okay." I nodded. 

"I have to study." She said.

"Okay." I raised a hand. "Godspeed."

*chu*

I didn't expect that peck. Nonetheless, she hi-fived me and went on. I chuckled and went to get my audio player and played her mix.

I loved it. I could only listen by my locker as I remember our meeting, all thanks to our own enigmas.

===

This has been the tenth one-shot. For the requester, I hope you like it.

Keep them requests coming!