Vanilla (Mina • Hyeyeon)

The Multiplication Table for Readers

Title: Vanilla

Characters: Kang Mina, Cho Hyeyeon

Requested by: step1step2

===

This trip had to be the worst idea ever. If this wasn't between my interests and dislikes, I wouldn't have come. Nonetheless, I got to a familiar house, stopping my motorcycle as I got my helmet off and fixed my hair. I huffed and some maids let me in. 

"My daughter's here." I heard my mom.

"Heck, yeah. I'm here." I mumbled, seeing two pairs of parents and a girl on one side.

"Mina, watch your manners." My father huffed. "Mind me for Mina. She's gone feisty."

"Aigoo...I won't mind, my friend. After all, she'll be our future daughter-in-law." The other father spoke.

"Hm? This is new." I raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean, uncle?"

"Mina. Sit down." My mother spoke.

I sighed and joined her on one end. I faced a family, almost the same as mine. But my pair of eyes couldn't hold its stare at a fellow daughter. 

"Hey." I greeted, crossing my arms.

"That's not how you speak to your future wife, Mina." My father spat again.

"Uncle, it's okay." She answered her. "You know Mina can get feisty sometimes."

"Well, good for you to know that." I batted.

"Why don't we let them have their time?" My mother suggested.

The parents agreed and I crease my forehead. I went out to get some fresh air and of course, the said daughter would be following me. I got me some vanilla candies from my pocket and munched one.

"You hate vanilla." I stopped chewing as she got to my side. "You preferred chocolate more."

"Not anymore. They're too sticky." I said and gulped it down.

"Mina..." She looked at me. "...it's been a while."

Great. Why did she have to remind me? "And then what? You think I'd care?"

•••••

I would've expected this meeting to go well, that not for a single moment will there be any arguments and what not. But that is not what happened.

"Well, I do care, Mina." I said and crossing my arms. "We were something."

Yep. Kang Mina will be my future wife who happened to be my ex-girlfriend.

It started of with platonic love since we were best friends. There was also a point of affectionate love as a couple but then, Mina started to drift away and gave her heart to someone else. In my case, our love had flickered off and we decided to break up.

Ten years have passed. We were in our late 20s and somehow, there will still traces of my affection towards Mina. Knowing that our parents were business partners, that can only be ceased by one thing.

An arranged marriage.

"We were, Hyeyeon. But that was in the past." Mina spoke. "I have someone new, someone who's as rich as us and is far better than you."

"Look, Mina. I never wanted this as much as you do. But this is business. I want this to work." I spoke. "And I'm not going to let anything get in the way."

"Psh. You're only doing this for inheritance. We need the shares for ourselves. I'm in it for the shares. Nothing more. Nothing less." Mina batted.

I was damned. I could hear a break or two by my chest and Mina's words were ringing. Why does this woman have to be a cocky daughter of a ?!

"Mina." I called her again. "What does she have that I don't?"

"I don't need your future opinions nor will I judge the likes of you. Because to me..." She stares at me. "...Sohye is better than you'll ever be."

I heard whispers from our parents that we look good together. I could only sigh of the mess we got ourselves in, especially me.

As much as I had a little spot for Mina, this was an arranged and forced marriage that I want to rid myself into.

•••••

It was days before the wedding and I ditched my receptions to go to another place. I reached to a condominium and got to a room. The door opened and I was greeted by the person who made my heart flutter. I went in and kissed her passionately.

"Hey, baby Penguin..." I mumbled as I broke.

"Hmm...my Tangerine has gone mad. Still doing the wedding?"

Kim Sohye was the love of my life. She was more driven compared to Hyeyeon, making me fall for her more. She also knew about my forced marriage and she didn't react. She understood me, making me love her more. Also, she's involved in the same predicament.

"Haha." I chuckled as I burned Sohye's invitation with a lighter. "Who's better?"

"I don't need to compare because you're the best, Mina." Sohye smiled. "Although I feel sorry for Somi and her family. My mother had to force Somi to marry me."

"She knows me, right?" I asked.

"Yes. My father preferred you more than Somi. He said Somi's too young." Sohye commented.

"Actually, my relatives preferred you. My aunt even said that my parents are idiots to become business partners with Hyeyeon's family, especially the fact that Hyeyeon and I are to be wed." I said.

"Aigoo....why do we have to be stuck in predicaments like these?" Sohye spoke as she leans on my side.

Sohye had a point there. But we had to do it for inheritances, knowing that the world is cruel, we need these possessions to survive. Sure it was worth our freedom but time will come that we'll do as we please in the end. It's all about enduring.

"Something called reality." I answered.

"True. I guess all we can do now is to continue to love." Sohye said as she pinched my cheeks.

"Now that's one thing we're both good at." I winked.

I tackled her for a passionate kiss all while I carried her to our bedroom. I laid Sohye gently as my hands played within Sohye's articles. I felt a tug by my pants and I stopped. She raised her eyebrow at me. "One thing we're good at? Really?"

"Oh, shush..." I mumbled and French-kissed her. 

Sohye wraps her arms around me and I work on taking off her shirt. I broke from our kiss and gave supple kisses by her neck.

"Now..." I got her shirt off. "...we can have each other. I can't wait, my Penguin..." I kissed her neck again. "...because I want you now."

•••••

It was evening and I was at the condominium our parents bought for Mina and I. I was watching animal shows of sheep, all while I checked the time because that head Kang Mina is late.

Someone came in. And with the black boots, I sighed and resumed watching. She sat by one chair and flipped the channel. I turned the TV off and I look at her intently.

"I thought you'd be back by 5:30. It's already 7:00." I started.

"We didn't agree on a curfew. I didn't say that I'll be back at a specific time. I just said I'll be back in general." Mina reasoned.

Mina excused herself but I stopped her. I saw a hickey by her neck that I slapped her face. "Goddamnit, Kang Mina!!"

"What?!" She batted back. "What will you do?! Sohye's my girlfriend. She deserves it!" 

"But I'm your future wife!" I yelled. "Our marriage is in two days, Mina...and you went crazy and ed her?!"

"It's a thing I do for someone who loves me and whom I love in return." Mina spoke.

"Mina." I stopped her again.

She was raising an eyebrow at me when I reached to cup her cheek. I huffed, inching myself to kiss her when she stopped me, putting a finger by my lips.

"No." She spoke. "I don't love you."

"But I do." I mumbled.

"You're blinded by it, Hyeyeon. Don't cling onto it too much. You'll just get hurt in the end." Mina said. 

She went to another room and I was left to cry. I would've just told Appa and Eomma that I'll back out from this wedding but with the arrangements, there's no turning back.

•••••

Today would be a wedding celebration. Sohye's off to marry Somi and here I am to marry Hyeyeon. The celebration was extravagant, almost like some ceremony for celebrities yet I maintained the bemused face. 

After the celebration, our parents booked us a hotel room to celebrate the said honeymoon. I was changing myself for bed and saw Hyeyeon in bed, watching those sheep shows again. 

"Mina." She called and turned the TV off. "Are you tired now?"

"A little." I answered.

"Come." She pats a space next to her.

I got to the spot but I grabbed the pillow. Hyeyeon was confused but I made the motion to lie down on the couch.

"Mina, you're sleeping next to me." Hyeyeon demanded. "You're my wife."

"No thanks, Hyeyeon. The couch is more comfortable." I spoke. "Goodnight."

I rolled over and slept as the lights were off. I closed my eyes and heard soft cries. I opened my eyes lightly and there was Hyeyeon, crying on her sleep.

A pang of guilt made its way to my chest. Actually, Hyeyeon isn't that bad. I really cared for her but I realized that fate of love wasn't meant for the both of us. I'd consider that I'll be there for her as a friend again but as a wife? I have a girlfriend and she knows that but our parents forced us to marry. She says that she doesn't want to but she's starting to open up again. The problem is that I have no feelings for her anymore and letting her stick to that belief will only hurt her in the end.

I decided to sleep this off and hoped of another decent day.

•••••

I woke up as morning came, a start of a new day as a wedded person. I got up, seeing Mina still asleep on the couch, snoring herself to dreamland. How idiotic of her. Sleeping on the couch was like sleeping on concrete. Her back could get hurt.

"Mina-ya~" I called as I got closer.

I crouched and looked at her face. She looked so sweet when she sleeps that I couldn't help but reach for her cheek. Looking at her made me wonder why we broke up ten years ago.

Ten years felt platonic yet I didn't get into relationships. Mina was my first and she will be my last. I'd rather be single for the rest of my life than to love someone else. But this was different. Forced or not, I was utterly happy to marry her.

The problem was that she didn't feel the same. 

"Hyeyeon." Mina woke up and she got my hand off of her face. "What are you doing?"

"Is it wrong to cup your cheek lightly?" I asked sadly.

"Technically yes. We're not a couple in love." Mina sighed and got up. "I'm cooking breakfast. What do you want?"

She didn't even bother to look at me sincerely and her words felt like bullets coming to me, hitting my heart multiple times.

"Hyeyeon, are you listening?" Mina asked.

"Sorry." I mumbled. "I'll have the usual favorite."

She just nodded and cooked. I averted my gaze away from her and I shed a tear or two.

This has got to be the worst day ever.

•••••

I was visiting someone special today. Hyeyeon was going somewhere and I didn't bother to come with her since I hate shopping. I got to the condominium and wondered as a tall woman passed by. 

"Mina, right?" She spoke.

"Hm? How do you know my-"

"Sohye told me a lot about you." She spoke, lending a hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm her wife, Jeon Somi."

I hated it. I just hi-fived her. She reciprocated. This kid is just too innocent. "Is Sohye around?"

"Yes." Somi nodded. "Do take care of her."

I was shocked as Somi went on her way. I got to the room and opened the door. Sohye was there and I greeted her with a kiss.

"You've met Somi by now, right?" She asked as we broke.

"Yeah. Your Appa was right. She's too young." I commented.

"And she knows you're my girlfriend. Somi and I are almost partners in crime. She was forced to marry me but she actually has a girlfriend who is as old as us." Sohye said again.

"How old is she?" I asked.

"25." Sohye answered. "She treats me as a buddy more than a wife. What a kid."

"Good." I said as I carried her bridal style. "Because I'm the only one who can treat you like a good wife."

I put Sohye down and we shared our sensual kisses. We ended up making out on the couch as Sohye stopped me.

"What's wrong?" I asked, kissing her jaw.

"How are you and Hyeyeon?" Sohye asked.

It somehow triggered me but I could never get mad at Sohye for reminding me. She was too good to not care for others, even to strangers. She's the sweetest Penguin that I love so much.

"Fine." I mumbled. "May I?"

"Okay." Sohye lets me, her hands cupping my cheeks which melted my heart. "But we're talking later."

•••••

I got back to the condominium after going shopping and talking to my parents. They asked me of Mina and I and I was completely honest. My father was disappointed and wanted to end the relationship there but my mother was eager, that it takes time and that it'll work out in the end.

If only they know a lot about Mina, that she is a woman who sticks to her decisions like super glue, that she has a girlfriend whom she loves more than me, and that she could never love me as a lover again.

"I'm home." Mina spoke coldly. "I got you your favorite food."

Yep. My heart had gone too sensitive and it made me toss aside those bad impressions of Mina. I got closer to her and hugged her. I could only feel a pat by my shoulder.

"Where did you go? You should've came with me. Appa and Eomma talked to me."

Mina just nodded and excused herself to shower. A little break on the chest was there because Mina was still ignorant. Nonetheless, I made a risky move as I decided to get in the shower room. Seeing the door unlocked, it felt like I won a jackpot prize. I got in, taking off some of my clothes lightly.

"Put your clothes back on, Hyeyeon." I heard Mina that I almost flipped out.

Mina was already done in the shower. She looked at me and sighed. In my case, a plan to assault her in the shower to have with Mina was an epic fail.

"Well..." I had to defend myself feom a shameful plan. "...I was just going to take a shower myself."

I got a towel and got in. Mina shrugged and got out. I sighed again as I got my clothes off and let the water flow throughout my skin.

My gauge of patience is almost breaking. My relationship with Mina had tolled itself down to misery.

•••••

I decided to stay at home for today. Hyeyeon came back from work and I could only nod, pointing at the table that I saved her of her favorite food. She responded and chatted my Penguin.

Tangerine: Hey, baby. How you've been?

Penguin: I'm fine, Mina. Somi and I are playing video games.

Tangerine: You're winning, right? She better not cling onto you or something. Tell me and I'll avenge you.

Penguin: Oh, you! I'm fine, Mina. Don't get too deranged. Anyways, did you do that plead that I told you to do?

It hit me. I smiled sadly as I remembered it.

Mina was panting as she laid on top of a tired Sohye. Sohye could only chuckle at her as she held Mina tenderly, her fingers fixing Mina's hair.

"Baby?" Sohye called.

"Anything, Sohye-ya..." Mina responded.

"Be honest with me." Sohye said. "How are you and Hyeyeon?"

Mina didn't want to ignore Sohye so she answered her and told her everything. Sohye was a considering girlfriend that she patted Mina's back. Mina indulged as she nuzzled onto Sohye's neck.

"I understand, baby." Sohye said. "But do me a favor."

"What is it?" Mina asked.

"Don't hurt Hyeyeon. Be the best friend you were for her. If you have time, try to be someone she can lean onto. Even if she forces herself to you, resist yourself and be the friend she needed."

I was damned. My Sohye was just too caring towards others. And I know that this was for my sake. I ended up crying lightly. 

Hyeyeon was my best friend since we were kids. We did have a relationship but it was not meant for us. This arranged and forced marriage came and I accepted it for my shares. I thought Hyeyeon did too, that she moved on from me, and that she got over our relationship and got back to our friendship.

But she turned a blind eye again. She was falling for me again. She became expectant that we'll work this out not just for inheritance but for love. It's the goddamn reason that I was mad at her, that I gave her the cold shoulder, and that I treated her emotions like trash.

I was over of it but why can't she do the same?

Tangerine: I'm still trying, baby. I will, okay? Trust me.

Penguin: Okay. I'll be sleeping now. Take care of yourself. I love you.

Tangerine: Sweet dreams, baby. Take care of yourself too. I love you so much, baby.

A snatch of my phone hit me and I was shocked to see Hyeyeon read my texts with Sohye. I got angry and got my phone back. "Hey! It's wrong to disrespect privacy, Hyeyeon!"

"You're still texting her?!" Hyeyeon got mad. "What about me? Why don't you give me attention? I'm your wife!"

"Yah, Cho Hyeyeon-"

"It's Kang Hyeyeon." She batted. "Look, I know I'm too deranged for you but can't we try?" 

"Hyeyeon. I'm saying this for the last time." I spoke, may patience withering. "We're best friends who fell in love before but it wasn't meant for us. This marriage was for inheritance, remember? I'm considering it because of that reason and I'm considering us to be best friends again, to the least I won't ignore you again. But I beg of you..." I held her shoulders tight. "...don't cling onto that admiration. If you have the guts to get away, then go and get away. Because I can't love you like I used to."

"But..." Hyeyeon held onto me. "...I love you, Mina."

"You don't. I can only be here for you as a friend. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm so sorry, Hyeyeon."

Hyeyeon forced herself again and it was one moment that I would regret for the rest of my life.

A hit makes way to Hyeyeon's face and my eyes had gone red with anger. Hyeyeon cried, holding her bruised face. What made it worse was that our parents visited unexpectedly and it was ed up. 

*slap*

"What are you doing to Hyeyeon?!" My father said, slapping me again.

"I think we need them to be away for a while." My mother said to him. "And don't you dare slap Mina again!"

"That better be done!" Hyeyeon's father yelled. "I can't believe your insolent daughter just beated mine!"

My father demanded me to get my stuff and go. Hyeyeon does the same and we ended up in separate ways.

•••••

"Eomma, Appa, please help me file a divorce?" I begged them. "I can't do this anymore!"

My mother said no. Although my father loathed Mina for what she did to me, he was trying to make me open up of what happened between us, trying to make me open up of wonderful moments I had with Mina. I hated this mess. They're still trying to make Mina and I work which is just impossible.

"She ignores me and we don't even do things together!" I yelled. "She even hit me!"

"You're not trying enough!" My mother yelled at me. "Why don't you give yourself and Mina another chance?"

"Eomma, I know Mina more than anyone. She's been my best friend-"

"But didn't you two fell in love and became acouple?" Eomma disrupts me.

"We did. But it didn't work. We're just friends now!" I spoke. "I would've paved way back into our relationship but Mina doesn't love me anymore. I would've begged myself to force myself in but this is a mistake!" I huffed. "I'll just stop it from here. Please, oh please, help me file us a divorce, Eomma, Appa!"

My mother kept on bugging me not to. My father was always the understanding one that he nodded, saying that he'll talk to Eomma about it and he lets me loose for fresh air. 

I was thankful for that as I got outside at a park, sitting on a bench to relieve myself. A familiar person came closer and I gasped.

It was Mina.

"I'm not here to scare you or anything." She spoke and sat with me. "I had to relieve myself from my parents' argument."

"And you came all the way here when your home is twice the distance?" I asked.

"Well, my girlfriend heard about what happened. She got mad at me for acting like a complete towards a friend." Mina spoke. "And my parents are deciding that we should have a divorce."

"Hm? What about your inheritance?" I asked.

"I got to talk to them of everything. I got it settled. And they have decided to settle it with your parents to." Mina said. "They'll maintain the allegiance but they not letting us involve again."

"Mina, are you eager for a divorce?" I asked.

"Yes. I have a girlfriend I love so much and besides, she and Somi have filed one weeks ago and we'll be talking to our parents of our wedding." Mina said.

"I guess Sohye won, huh?" I asked. "How did it even come to this, Mina?"

"I know, Hyeyeon. I'm sorry for the way I treated you. I wanted you to to know that you'll always be the best friend I could lean onto." Mina confessed.

"I'm sorry too, for forcing ourselves in this. I should've known better." I said. "Still best friends?"

"Of course, Hyeyeon." Mina answered and got a vanilla candy. "Have some."

I accepted it and we both munched some while watching the stars as we await of our good future as best friends and a life of acceptance and assurance.

===

That was the story, guys. Stay tuned.