Follicle (Sejeong • Mina)

The Multiplication Table for Readers

Title: Follicle

Characters: Kim Sejeong, Kang Mina

Requested by: Agyusshi

===

I was ten. I would've been just any typical kid without any care of what reality has to offer. But at the time, I never thought that reality caught me onto a realm of nothingness because of one thing.

I had a sister by the name of Mina. We were really close. We would play and have fun until that one reality hit me.

She wasn't my real sister. We had different fathers.

I got mad because she cut the hair of my doll, a sentimental toy that my father gave before he passed away. Due to my frustrations, I would slap her back.

"Yah! Why do you mess up my things?!" I yelled. "You have a doll, right?! Why do you insist on taking mine?!"

I gritted my teeth as Mina cried like the little wuss she was, snot running down her nostrils and tears messing her cheeks. And when I heard footsteps, I knew I was screwed.

*slap*

Mina had ruined everything ever since that reality check. Now my own mother never sides me. It's all about Mina again.

*slap*

"Don't you bully you sister again, you understand?!!"

*slap*

"Can't you see she's just a small girl?!"

*slap*

Mina looks at me with those oh-so innocent eyes and I kept on crying.

God...why does this have to happen?

•••••

Who knew fifteen years passed by so quickly?

My mom and dad have passed away and I'm left with my sister. Scratch that. My stepsister.

*ring*

I was busy preparing myself as I got a phone call from Sohye. Her call made me excited as we were going on a date today.

"Hey, baby...oh, you're almost here?...okay, I'll get ready...I love you too, baby..."

I hung up and looked myself at the mirror, looking fabulous as always. I plaster a cheeky grin and went outside. And seeing the dark blue car, I knew that it was Sohye.

And seeing a spray of water by our yellow bells, I knew it was Sejeong watering them.

With the reality check and the mistreatment, I would never get close to her again. No greetings, no permissions, no nothing. How could I give respect to her when she mistreated me after all those years of finding out that we didn't have the same blood? And what can I do to regain that lost bond? I'm nothing to her as she is nothing to me.

I didn't bid anything towards Sejeong and got inside Sohye's car. I greeted Sohye with a passionate kiss in which she reciprocated. 

"Just in time." I said as I caressed her face.

"Haha... I'll always be in time for you, baby." Sohye winked. "Hold on."

Sohye honked her car and got Sejeong's attention. Sohye did a gesture of permission and Sejeong just nodded. Sohye drove off and I wonder of what she did as I looked at her.

"Well...I have to let your unnie know that her dongsaeng is in her girlfriend's good hands." Sohye said.

I chuckled because it's Sohye's cute charm. But then, I shook my head. "You won't be doing it sometime."

It's was the truth...because I meant nothing to Sejeong...

•••••

Do you ever look at someone and wonder what if they didn't exist from the beginning?

Living alone with your stepsister was almost like hell. I work my off for the two of us yet she doesn't give credit for that. My mother and stepfather have died and we only have each other. But what happened? She goes off partying and spending too much time on her respectful girlfriend.

Her messy room didn't help too. Her books were scattered on the floor, her sheets had stains of food, and there was even a mouse lingering around the recent mess of ramen by her nightstand. I had my frustrations so I clean up her room.

It's really frustrating. I wish good riddance of her existence. My life would've been so much better and happier without Mina. Because to me, she's garbage, a burden, a parasite...

Later that evening, I chilled by the living room and waited for the said parasite. Although I had my dispositions of having regrets of having a stepsister, I couldn't help but worry like...she has to come home in one piece.

A knock answered my plea and I got to the door, opening it to see a girl holding my drunken stepsister. The smell of alcohol was an indication.

"Uhh...good evening, unnie." Her girlfriend spoke.

"Good evening." I spoke back. "I'll take it from here, kid."

She nodded and I carry Mina. I was making a face like Jesus, why did Mina have to drink too much?

"I apologize, unnie." Her girlfriend spoke again. "I told her not to drink too much."

"That's her mistake for not listening to you." I answered. 

She nodded and bowed again when I told her to stop and asked of her name.

"I'm Kim Sohye."

"Nice to meet you, Sohye." I said.

She nodded and left. I felt Mina fidget and I hissed and piggyback her to her bedroom.

Sheesh...what a cute parasite...

•••••

I was smoking inside the bathroom to relieve myself from the hangover and I could giggle of today.

It was Sohye's birthday. I invited Hyeyeon and the rest to celebrate with us later at a bar. I reached my pocket and got something. It was a .

I smirked. Knowing from Hyeyeon that she was a shemale, this could be a perfect gift. It would be satisfying for the both of us, mostly for her.

*knock*

. The said stepsister had to disturb. I kill my cigarette and whip off the smoke inside and I left the bathroom, passing her. She would smell some of it but who cares? Why would she care of what I do?

I'm nothing to her...

Later that evening, I got myself ready and I decided to let Hyeyeon pick me up because I want to surprise Sohye. As her motor arrived, I got out and called my friends.

"It's Sohye's birthday. Let's go~~" Hyeyeon did the same as I got to her motor.

"Come on." I was also busy with my call. "It would be our treat, me and my Sohye~"

They all agreed and I was happy. I hung up and greeted Hyeyeon with a high five. I hopped in as Hyeyeon gave me a spare helmet.

"Have you asked permission from Sejeong-unnie?"

Hyeyeon was a family friend so she knew Sejeong. She also knew that Sejeong and I were not related by pure blood. 

"No." I answered. "She wouldn't care anyway."

"I can't force you...but do know she's still your sister." Hyeyeon said.

I could just nod as Hyeyeon sped off towards the bar.

•••••

Another evening would come and go and I would deal with another dose of the cute parasite. The knock was heard around the household and I got to greet Hyeyeon and more friends on her back. "Hyeyeon?"

"Hi, Sejeong-unnie. It's been a while." Hyeyeon greeted and the rest of her friends joined her. "Mina...she..."

"I know. Let me take it from here." I smiled lightly.

Hyeyeon and her friends helped Mina up and I carried her. I said my thanks to the kids and they left. I carried Mina to her bedroom and just slump her on her bed like I was doing a Batista toss. I tucked her onto hee blanket and I sighed. I can finally get some sleep.

"Unnie..."

I froze. I felt my hands shiver as I face Mina, asleep. 

"I'm so sorry..." Mina mumbled. "... I'm so sorry we're not related..."

"Idiot." I mumbled and left her room.

I stopped to contemplate of her words. I put a hand on my forehead and thought of everything. We used to be so close but how could we just drift apart with a reality check?

Mina didn't have to say that because those words were for me to say...

•••••

"Cheers~~"

I reunited with my friends and we had a blast at the club, drinking, dancing, and letting loose. I was smiling the same cheeky grin and kissing Sohye's cheeks when Hyeyeon looked from a distance. 

"Heol...it's Sejeong-unnie."

I broke and felt my ears tingle. Did Hyeyeon just say Sejeong was here? I took a reality check as I turned around and she really was here.

She must've found out I stole her money.

She approached me and slapped my face, making everyone gasp. I snickered.

"Did you steal my money?!" She ranted.

I faced her. "So what if I did?"

*slap*

"That's it! Why did Eomma have to leave me with the likes of you?!"

*slap*

"If it weren't the fact that our parents died and left you with me, I would've dumped you in an instant!"

*slap*

I was mad. I faced her again. "Just dump me off then! Why do you have to be so condescending as if you pity me?! You hate me!" I could feel tears running down my face. "You hate me because we're not of the same blood!"

*slap*

It was the last straw. Sejeong had tears on her eyes too. I couldn't stand watching it as I stormed off.

She was right. She had the right to dump me off. I'm nothing to her as much as she is to me...

•••••

Have you ever wished to get rid of someone off of your entire life, the person whom you believe would've been so much better to live without?

That was my death ray towards Mina.

She's garbage that needs to be cleaned. She was a burden yet she was a parasite that was almost impossible to get rid of. I wished for her non-existence. I wish her death...

Heaven answered my pleas but it was misheard and misinterpreted...

"You have cancer, Miss Kim. It may have spreaded to some parts of the body but its stage is not severe if treated by chemotherapy as early as now..."

I felt my ears ring. I could even turn on a blind eye but what can I do? It was what Heaven misheard and misinterpreted. Who knew the one who wished death would be the one dying?

Who knew the person dying was me?

An ache by my lungs wasn't helping. It occured on a daily basis that I had to get a check-up. And when I did, the doctor said it wasn't a touch of any pain or disease. It was a touch of cancer.

I didn't know what specific force pushed me but with that, I obeyed the doctor's prescriptions. I drank medicine and conducted chemotherapy as early as the day of the check-up. There were even times I work and get some money from my father's bankbooks so that I can support myself in my chemotherapy.

But out of all that, I wonder where Mina was.

I didn't see her since the incident at the bar. I didn't know if she left or if she was always in her room. I didn't have some time to wonder because of my health but a part of me wanted to see her again.

A day after work was my opportunity as I saw her by the living room, watching TV. I looked at her and she lost her gothic look and looked like the sister I used to take care of before. In fact, she looked so cute and sullen.

But no. Her face was the opposite of that. It had a gaze of fear.

She turned off the TV and bowed lightly before goinf back to her room. I was frozen. I would've smiled and said hi and asked how she has been but I was too proud and too afraid. 

After all that has happened, how could I approach her, ler alone ask for forgiveness?

•••••

"Miss Kang, I might have to change your prescription. Once instead of twice."

"Ne." I nodded.

I thanked the doctor and went home. And when I would arrive, I prayed Sejeong wasn't around. Thank God she wasn't as I got to my room.

Ever since the incident, I stopped doing anything. My day only revolved around eating, sleeping, reading, keeping myself inside my room...

...and keeping myself alive...

A touch of some cardiac arrest could occur anytime and it would be the death of me. It was Appa's cause of death passed onto me. I sighed and looked at the prescription and wondered how to follow it since I have nothing today...

I shared it to some friends and Sohye and Hyeyeon always helped me and were the only ones helping me. They visited when I told them to and helped me with anything I need. Hyeyeon was like my sister as she got me food and medicine. Sohye will always be my Sohye as she would get me of my errands and comfort me and love me as her one and only. These two were making me alive and I was grateful. But there was one thing missing.

Sejeong.

Seeing her after her work while I watched TV felt like I came back after leaving. But I couldn't leave. I had nowhere else to go and this was my home. A part of me never wanted to leave Sejeong so I treated myself as wind, as if I just passed by and didn't exist.

It was better that way. Sejeong wanted it so I accept it...

•••••

The days had gone gloomy, even the yellow bells have wilted. My bits of follicles dropped off of my head and so did my health.

I knocked a couple of times on the bathroom door because I felt the urge. Mina came out and I got inside and puked on the toilet. I huffed a lot and relieve myself.

"What's the matter?"

I could just cuss at myself. How can I just let this slip and let Mina see? I shook my head and made a gesture saying that it's nothing, that I'm just fine.

I flushed the toilet and got out. I decided to get some rest when Mina was still rooted onto her spot and asked the same question. "What's the matter?"

"It's nothing, Mina." I answered.

It has been a while since I said her name and a part of my heart was hurt. And as an older stepsister, I couldn't be weak in front of her and tell her. What would she think of me?

I gasped as Mina got rid of the scarf wrapping around my head, showing a bit of my bald head. There was no more hair on the top because of the chemo and I only had hair left at the bottom. I was ashamed, weak, and disgraced at myself. Seeing Mina's look hurt me even more.

I lowered my head when I felt a hug. I looked to see Mina this close and I heard her cries.

"Yah! What happened!? How could you not tell me?!" She ranted. "I know you hate me and all but we only have each other!" She sniffled. "Stepsister or not, I only have one of you."

She didn't need to apologize for her mistakes. Her words were enough for me. It was one thing I didn't expect to hear yet I wanted to hear from her for so long.

I hugged her tighter and I cried in her arms. It meant that I missed her, I needed her, and that I never wanted her to leave or wish her death...

... because even if I turn the world upside down, Mina will always be the sister that I love so much...

•••••

Reconciliation would've been the tearjerking moments of apologies and pleas of forgiveness but it was done differently. With that came a time of restoration of bonds and a course of epiphany that family will always be family. Sisters will always be sisters.

With Sejeong-unnie's condition, I embraced the obligation to be there for her because I want my actions to extend her breaths and bring her hope of living. 

I would give her baths as much as did for me when she gave me bubbly baths when we were kids. I would help her with her clothes as much as she did for me when I was young and had a hard time buttoning my shirt. I would dry her off of her beads of sweat as much as she did when we played tag with our friends as little rascals. I would tie her little hairs into little braids as much as she did with my hair in fifth grade, tying it up to a big braid. I would join her in our swing by the gazebo as much as we had done after finishing our snacks during our elementary years. I would join her in making funny faces in the mirror as much as we did that made our parents smile. And most of all, I would water our yellow bells as much as she did when our parents passed away.

But out of all the things I did for her, this was my special gift for her.

"My unnie has beautiful hair now~~"

I got my Sejeong-unnie a wig and she looked good with it. I even chuckled of my short hair.

Yes. That wig was from my own hair and I made it as my most precious gift for my unnie.

"Come on, unnie. Our friends are here." I smiled. 

She nodded and we got out to greet out guests. I saw Sejeong-unnie's co-teachers: Hana, Mimi, Haebin, Kim Nayoung, Stone Nayoung, Chungha, Chaeyeon, and Jieqiong. And my girlfriend and my friends: Sohye, Yeonjung, Yoojung, Doyeon, Hyeyeon, and Somi.

It was Sejeong-unnie's special day and we celebrated it together. We had a wonderful time the whole day. I was happy seeing Sejeong-unnie happy.

When the party ceased, Sohye was the last to leave as she got a camera. She decided to take a picture of Sejeong-unnie and I. We agreed and Sohye got her camera ready.

"Okay. One...two..."

*click*

It was the last thing I could do for Sejeong-unnie. I placed the new picture close to the frame our picture as kids. I held onto my chest with a pacemaker and thought of one thing.

My gift for Sejeong-unnie was more than a bunch of follicles.

It was our lives as sisters.

===

That was the story, guys. I cried while writing it so I wonder how did you feel about this? Comment it below.

@Agyusshi: Sorry I took so long, unnie. I have gotten busy. For your other request, I'll work on it soon. 

Hope you guys like the story and feel free to leave a comment for reactions and keep the requests coming.