Anatomy (Sejeong • Hana)

The Multiplication Table for Readers

Title: Anatomy

Characters: Kim Sejeong, Shin Bora

Requested by: Agyusshi

===

"Again with the Fs!!" I yelled, throwing my recent testpaper in Biology. "How can I at this?! This is the easiest branch of science!"

"That's because you don't study, Ahjusshi." Soyee batted. "You're so busy with you flirtatious life, with memes, and with you being an Ahjusshi."

"What's wrong with memes?" Sally batted in. 

"Sally has a point, Soyee." I grinned. "Memes are funny and whimsical."

"Yeah, but it doesn't help in your ing mess with this subject." Soyee said, grabbing my crumpled test paper as she sees the big red F. "I gotta hand it to you. You've accomplished your 30th F for the past month when we had our quizzes."

"How did you even get a D?" I asked then smirked. "Did you get the D?"

I couldn't recall much other than seeing stars and a worried Liu Xiening as I got punched by the giant statue Jang Sojin.

•••••

"Another A+ from the Great Shin Bora." Mimi clapped. "This has been your 30th perfect quiz in Biology."

"Biology's fun, Mimi." I grinned. "It's a branch of science that focuses on life. How cool is that?" I gleamed. "You get to learn parts of our bodies, even photosynthesis, especially the animal kingdom, a very favorite."

"Aigoo, no wonder you're always first, Hana, especially in Biology. You're number one for a reason," said Mimi.

I could only nod but then the whole class gasped as a student fell on the floor. I gasped seeing the giant statue Jang Sojin. She was a Taekwondo master and a good boxer. No one dares to provoke her because her moves can kill.

Xiening was the innocent one but smart. She got an A- like Mimi on her Biology quiz today but she was never talkative. I could watch her calm Soyee down as I ask Mimi of the commotion after she was done talking with our fellow classmate.

"The dork Kim Sejeong had to provoke Soyee with a joke about her grade in the quiz." Mimi sighed. "She's knocked out. Nayoung and Haebin just carried her to the clinic."

"Will she be okay?" I asked.

"Sejeong may be dorky and may at Biology but she's strong, inside and out." Mimi said. "But Soyee's punch is stronger."

"I heard that!" Soyee batted.

"It's a compliment, Soyee. You even broke a tooth, to think enamel is the hardest part of the body." Mimi sighed as she got Sejeong's tooth. "Here, Hana. For experimental purposes."

"You sure got me, Mimi." I grinned and accepted the tooth.

•••••

Despite of Soyee punching my face and me losing a molar, I got myself on my feet. School was of the usual, me acing on PE and at Biology.

One of the less bullty conventions of the whole works here was that I hated Biology. Why is an eardrum called a timpanic membrane? Why does a plant produce glucose in photosynthesis? And why the is a shark part of the Chordata class? 

How do I know these s? Well, it came to me too late. See? That's me, weak in Biology.

And with the new lesson on the Circulatory System, specifically the Human Heart, I wonder what to do when the quizzes come. I always fail the quizzes and now, I want to be serious. I need to pass the next quiz because I've failed so many.

Classes were over in a shake of a lamb's tail and I got to the canteen like everyone else. I joined with my usual squad, with Sally and Soyee. With a tray good old bulgogi, rice, ox head soup, pickled radish and kimchi, I sat next to Sally since I was still wee mad at Soyee for punching my face and losing a tooth.

"Hey, buddy." Soyee waved.

"Save your ing breath, Jang Sojin. You owe me a tooth." I batted. "Which reminds me, where is it? Hand it over."

"Jung Mimi took it...and she gave it to Hana, our top notcher."

I almost spat my soup at Sally but I gained composure. And with Mimi and Hana on another table, I almost gagged out of my rice.

"Aigoo...the Ahjusshi and her little crush over the number one-"

"What the ?" I hissed lightly. "Hush!"

"Well, you've been telling us that for so long." Sally said.

I couldn't bat. They had a point there.

Shin Bora was the top in our class, especially in Biology. Biology was her life. She knew everything about the subject, she can even memorize all bones in the skeletal system like what the , I don't even know what a femur is, let alone the tibia. In general, she was like a goddess. She had beauty and brains.

"Speaking of which, have you been studying for the upcoming quiz on Biology, Sally?" Soyee asked.

"Of course." Sally nodded. "I wouldn't miss it."

"Are you having a group of study or something? Can I join your guys?" I asked.

"As much as we'd love to, Xiening's parents don't like you, considering that you're not studious like her." Soyee said.

"Soyee and I study in the house since Papa doesn't want me to go to other classmates' houses for a group study. I only have you guys for my friends so Soyee and I do our group studies in my house." Sally said. "But you can join us, Sejeong. I'll try to convince Papa."

Soyee gave me a cold look. I could only smirk as I finish my meal. Now, I say it.

"Thanks for the offer, Sally, but I'll just study myself." I grinned. "I wouldn't want to spoil the giant statue's moment with her Chinese goddess."

Sally was innocent so she didn't get that...but Soyee did. So, I made a run for it.

"KIM SEJEONG!! YOU COME BACK HERE, YOU ING !" Soyee growled as I laughed while running.

Soyee may kill me most of the time but we're friends. But meh- that's just me. I'm God Sejeong after all.

•••••

"Aigoo..." Mimi sighed. "Kim Sejeong is at it again."

I saw Sejeong run as a rampaging Jang Sojin ran after her and Xiening was calming her down. I sighed, although Sejeong looked funny and cute. It made me smile.

"Yeah, Sejeong is a funny sight. I heard she'll study herself. And it's impossible. Sejeong even slept reading a title of a book." Mimi said and we both laughed of it.

Although it was funny, I wonder of Sejeong. She's good in most subjects but why does she at Biology? She's actually one of those gifted people wherein she would ace all subjects without studying but Biology had to be a nutjob.

"Hana?" I was out of my daze as Mimi called me back to reality. "You okay, buddy?"

"I'm fine, Mimi." I assured her. "Say...would it be nice if I engage a tutorial to Kim Sejeong?"

"A tutorial on Biology?" Mimi asked and I nodded. "Hmmm...that could help, Hana...but Sejeong is an independent woman. She'd decline your help."

I lower my head lightly. Mimi pats my back as she excused herself due to a meeting with the Student Council. Being the President, she can be busy sometimes.

I thought of what she said about Sejeong and her indepedency. But I could barely believe that. I saw Sejeong struggle with Biology. I guess she must need help.

I got my stuff and decided to go to the library to study.

•••••

I'm at the library, reading any Biology book I could carry to my table. I flipped through the Circulatory System and studied about it. I was in the part about the heart, artery, and vein when I felt my eyes droop. I was almost in the brink of sleep when I felt a hold by my chin. I jolted up and when I saw the person, I almost flipped out.

"Hi, Sejeong." It was Hana and she had to give a smile that I could fall for all over again.

"Wha...oh, hi, Hana." I greeted and went back to my book.

"You look so cute today, Sejeong." Hana said.

I could feel my face heating up of her gesture. Luckily, the book and a phrase of systole and diastole distracted me. I felt a presence. I looked to see Hana sitting face to face to me.

"Shall we study together?" She asked.

"Aigoo..." I said with my Ahjusshi voice. "...the top notcher of Biology can't study with the person who fails at it. In order to harness your skills even more, you need to study with people who meet your intelligence."

"But you are one of those people, Sejeong." Hana said. "Although you at this one subject, you excel in other subjects. I consider that."

"All the same, Hana." I said. "I'd be a hindrance to your time in studying."

"Puhlease. I already know that book like it's my life. Biology is life, I must admit..." Hana said. "...but wanting to help a friend who at it is 'lifer'." 

"Is 'lifer' even a word?" I asked. "Oh, wait it is..."

"Really?" Hana asked.

"Yeah. It's a term used by Nazis for prisoners. But I know you mean something else." I said. "Anyways, I'm fine studying alone as you are so..."

"Yah. Let me help you, Sejeong." Hana pouted.

I looked at Hana and istg, she looked cute. It made my hidden motive very clear. I shook my head.

"Why not?" Hana asked.

"I'm shy!" I yelped.

I heard the shush from the librarian as I cover my mouth and pressed my face onto the book, hiding my shame.

"Being shy is a no-no for me, Sejeong." Hana spoke, making me look back at her. "I understand that. But now, you can ask help from me. I won't hesitate to help you."

I thought about that. I had this desire to get taught by the number one but shyness had to be a sly . 

I could nod and agree. Well, what can go wrong?

•••••

"Is it me or you're excited today?" Mimi asked as me as I picked a lot of Biology books. 

"Well, I heeded the suggestion of tutoring Kim Sejeong." I grinned.

"Really?" Mimi reacted.

"Yes, really." I said. "I better get going. Sejeong might be waiting."

Mimi nodded and I bid goodbye, heading to the usual spot, seeing Sejeong reading her favorite Biology book. I smiled for Sejeong's start as I went closer.

"Hi, Sejeong." I grinned.

"Hi, Hana." She greted back and I could adore that Ahjusshi smile forever. "We shouldn't start right away. Breathe for a moment."

I nodded and relaxed. I glimpsed at Sejeong and slumped her head on the table. I got a good look at what she's reading and she was still at the general terms. I sighed of the small progress.

"You still haven't proceeded?" I asked her.

"No...I think my mind and heart aren't cooperating with me." Sejeong mumbled.

"That's because you don't like me back. You had to be uninspired and fail. You don't know how to use that heart of yours." I mumbled to myself.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" Sejeong asked.

"Nothing." I grinned. "Shall we start?"

"Okay." Sejeong said as she got her notebook and pen. "Let's get it ooooonnn~" She cheered and I chuckled.

"The Circulatory System takes charge of the blood coursing through the body, composing of arteries, veins, capillaries, and mainly, the heart." I began as I drew on my whiteboard. "The heart is a muscular and propulsive organ. It's the size of a fist and its main function is to draw blood throughout the parts of the body.

"Parts...of the body..." Sejeong mumbled as she jotted down. "So if a small person has small fists, is the heart of that person small too?"

I laughed of Sejeong's whims. It made the starting point of this session fun. "Well, body parts vary of the structure of the person, Sejeong."

"Okay. Let's resume." Sejeong said.

"The right part of heart receives deoxygenated blood from the body and pumps it to the lungs. The left part of the heart receives oxygenated blood from the lungs and pumps it throughout the body." I said again as Sejeong listened while her hands jotted down some notes. "Another note. The heart has a covering called pericardium."

"It's a protective sac, right?" Sejeong asked.

I nodded and I adored Sejeong as she cheers lightly of getting a least one idea remembered. Nonetheless, we resumed.

"Each side of the heart as an auricle, atrium in most books, which draws blood in from the veins. And a ventricle, which pushes the blood out from the arteries." I said then devised a little exercise. "Sejeong, can you enumerate the four chambers of the heart?"

"Uhh..." Sejeong began. "Right and left atria, right and left ventricles."

"You got it!" I cheered with her.

"Woah. This is getting fun." Sejeong gleamed. "Let's continue."

"Okay." I nodded. "Heartbeat or cardiac rhythm is a single sequence of atrial contractions followed by ventrical contractions. A single heartbeat is almost like a cycle wherein there are two stages."

"Systole and diastole." Sejeong answered and I clapped as she got it right.

"So, in diastole..." I point at my diagram. "...the heart muscle relaxes, and blood is drawn into the two atria. Rising of each atrium opens the tricuspid and mitral valves, and blood in drawn into the ventricles. Each of the atria contract, filling the ventricles to capacity."

"Oooh...so in that case, the atria is contracted so that it draws blood in the ventricles?" Sejeong asked.

"That's right." I nodded. "Now, during the systole stage, the ventricles contract. The mitral and tricuspid valves close and the aortic and pulmonary valves are forced open, and the blood is pumped through the body. Then, the heart relaxes. The aortic and pulmonary valves close, and diastole starts again."

Sejeong nodded as she jotted in down. I stop foe a moment to adore her hard work. Sejeong relaxed and she looked at me again. "Shall we take a break, Hana?"

"Your call, Sejeong." I said.

Sejeong nodded and went to the vending machine. I smiled and decided to read in advance about hemodynamics, hemodialysis, and hemorheology. As I scanned through my book, I felt something on the table. I saw a bottle of soy milk and a pack of boiled quail eggs. Sejeong got an egg and ate. 

"It's brain food, Hana. Dig in." Sejeong smiled.

I nodded and indulged on the food and delicious milk. I thanked Sejeong for this as we resumed.

"It's also important to know the normal rate of the heartbeat. It's 60 to 100 per minute, although most books specified 75, even Wikipedia specified 72."

"Well, mine is 200 per minute everytime I get whipped by Soyee." Sejeong said and we laughed lightly.

"I bet Sally's is 205 per minute in calming the giant statue down." I said and we both laughed again.

We decided to continue again when Mimi stormed inside. I saw her look and wondered.

"Yah... I came to inform you guys that the Biology quiz is moved today!" Mimi said.

"Whaaat?!" Sejeong reacted.

"I thought it was next week." I said.

"Professor Lee said that the teachers will be having a meeting next week. She moved the quiz today so that we won't miss it next week."

"It's fifteen minutes before the quiz." I sighed. "We should go."

Mimi nodded and went ahead. I got my milk as Sejeong packed her snack and fixed the table. I was sad as I saw her weary while putting the books back on the shelf.

I was worried too. With this teaching, I don't want Sejeong to taste another F in this quiz. I can't let her down because I was incompetent in teaching.

"Sejeong?" I called.

I would've thought she was sad. But I was shocked when she smiled. She pats my head. "Thanks for the time, Hana. I couldn't learn much of this without your help."

"You're welcome." I smiled sadly. "Will you be alright?"

"I got the information I need. I'll be fine." She said and that was enough assurance thaf she'll get through this quiz.

•••••

Here we are, back at the classroom. I would've been down since I might taste another failing grade but somehow, thanks to Hana's teachings, I have a feeling I'll get through this time.

I saw Sally and Soyee reviewing. Mimi and Hana were at the front. Hana was calm, preparing a pen as Mimi still fiddled on her notes. Professor Lee came and we started the quiz. As I got the paper, I huffed and got a look.

I gasped. It was the same things Hana taught. I huffed, read the questions thoroughly, and answered diligently. Thirty minutes passed and I glimpsed at Hana who passed her paper and went out for fresh air. I smiled and resumed answering. I was the second to pass and went out to catch up to Hana.

I admired Hana and her tranquil phase. I called her and I gasped as she tackled me for a hug. A thump made its way to my heart as I hugged her back.

"How's the quiz?" She asked.

"It's okay, Hana. It didn't literally kill me." I said. "I somehow managed to make it thanks to your teachings."

She smiles at me. I smiled back as I hope for a good result on my quiz this time.

•••••

"There are two who got perfect in the quiz." Professor Lee spoke. "Congratulations, Shin Bora..."

I bowed lightly as everyone applauded, especially Mimi.

"...and Kim Sejeong."

I heard Sally and Soyee cheer loudly as they messed with Sejeong. Professor Lee couldn't hold a little laugh as Mimi wowed and clapped of me. For me, I clapped at Sejeong's achievement.

"You're the woman, Hana." Mimi grinned. "You moulded Kim Sejeong on the right track."

I could only nod. For Mimi, she ranked second with Sally and Soyee and I was happy with the results. 

Classes went on until it ended. I got to pack my stuff when I saw Sejeong. I smiled and went closer to her, lending a hand. "Congratulations, Sejeong."

"Congratulations to you, Hana. And thank you." Sejeong said. "How could I ever repay you?"

"You did." I said and she wondered. "With your feelings towards me and your tooth."

Sejeong was flustered, her cheeks turning red. I chuckled on how cute she was. "Mimi told me."

Sejeong grinned and scratched her head cutely. I got my necklace with Sejeong's tooth and showed it to her. "I like you too, Sejeong."

She looked at me and lent a hand. "Can I take you out today?"

I nodded, grabbed her hand, and went with her.

Who knew it had only to do with bits of anatomy to get my crush?

===

That was the sixth. For the reader who requested this, I was inspired by your version of IOI chatroom and I presumed you got your idea out of your own story. Anyways, I hope you like it.

Keep them requests coming, guys!