Too late

Double Trouble (Hyun Family)
Baekhyun was still having a hard time sleeping that night. Taehyung was laying next to him sound asleep. Baekhyun looked over at him, wishing he was able to not have a care in the world like his son. But he had to find a way to get his husband out of jail before it was too late. 
 
Baekhyun got out of bed without waking up Taehyung and made his way to Bambam to check on him.
 
Bambam was laying in his crib playing with Taehyung's bear. Baekhyun smiled at him as he picked him up. He took Bambam into the kitchen to feed him. But Bambam wasn't hungry, he just wanted to play. He started crying so Baekhyun could let him down to go play.
 
Mrs. Byun came into the room with her robe on. She was still half asleep.
 
'What's going on?' She asked Baekhyun.
 
'Bambam doesn't want to eat'. Baekhyun replied.
 
Mrs. Byun looked at the clock on the wall. 'Well, no wonder he doesn't want to eat, it's 3am'.
 
'What?' Baekhyun looked at her confused.
 
Mrs. Byun went over to Baekhyun. 'Why are you awake at this hour?' She asked as she sat down next to him at the kitchen table.
 
Baekhyun sighed. 'I can't sleep'.
 
'Is it about Daehyun?'
 
Baekhyun nodded. 'I don't know what to do. The cops won't let him go'.
 
Mrs. Byun put her hand on Baekhyun's shoulder. 'I'm sorry you and the boys have to go through this'.
 
'The boys don't even know what's going on'. Baekhyun looked at Bambam who was sitting on the floor chewing on the teddy bear in his hands. 'They think Daehyun is ok'.
 
'I'm sure he will be'.
 
'I want to believe that, but the cops are threatening to kill him'. Baekhyun wiped away the tear that tried to escape his eye. 'I just don't know how to prove that Daehyun is innocent'.
 
Mrs. Byun pulled Baekhyun to her and held him. She wanted to take away her son's pain.
 
Baekhyun held his mom tight as he tried to calm down. He was just wanting all this pain to go away. Suddenly he felt something pull on his pant leg.
 
Baekhyun pulled away and looked down to find Bambam trying to crawl in his lap.
 
Baekhyun smiled and picked Bambam up. He sat him in his lap and kissed the top of his head.
 
Bambam looked at Baekhyun then back at his bear. 'Eom...' Bambam mumbled.
 
Baekhyun put his head in his free hand. He was feeling so stressed and upset. He wanted to go back to the police station and bring Daehyun home. But it was too early.
 
Baekhyun started falling asleep at the table. His head in his hand and Bambam still in his arm.
 
Mrs. Byun took Bambam from Baekhyun when she saw he was falling asleep. Bambam started crying and reaching for Baekhyun. 
 
Baekhyun immediately woke up and saw his mom trying to calm down Bambam.
 
'I've got him'. Baekhyun said as he got up and tried to take Bambam.
 
'Baek, honey. You need to rest.'
 
'I'm fine'. Baekhyun lied.
 
'No, you're not'. She looked at him. 'I'm worried about you'.
 
'The only person we need to be worried about is Daehyun'. Baekhyun said as he took Bambam.
 
Bambam stopped crying and grabbed the back of Baekhyun's shirt tight.
 
'Eom...' 
 
Baekhyun looked at him. 'Are you trying to say something?'
 
Bambam looked at Baekhyun. 'Eom...'
 
Baekhyun kissed his cheek and sat on the couch. Bambam didn't let him go.
 
Baekhyun grabbed the remote and turned the tv on to see if there had been any updates on Daehyun.
 
Baekhyun started falling asleep again as he sat on the couch listening to the news. Bambam sat in Baekhyun's lap and watched the tv, not knowing what was going on.
 
'Ap...!' Bambam yelled.
 
Baekhyun woke up and saw Bambam pointing at the tv. 
 
'Ap...!' Bambam said again.
 
Baekhyun looked at the tv and saw them talking about Daehyun. He looked back at Bambam surprised he recognized Daehyun on tv.
 
Baekhyun grabbed the remote and turned the volume up.
 
'Decisions are still being made about what to do with the man that attacked EXO Planet. He is currently waiting to hear his fate at the jail. A decision should be made some time today'.
 
Baekhyun sighed as he listened to the tv. Nothing new that he didn't already know. He was getting ready to turn the tv off when he heard the news anchors talking to each other.
 
'He's obviously guilty, I'd go ahead and give him the death penalty so he doesn't cause anymore problems'.
 
'I agree. They caught him red handed. No point in dragging this out'.
 
Baekhyun glared at the tv and turned it off. What did those stupid news people know? They didn't know Daehyun. They don't know he has a husband and kids that need him back home with them. They just saw a criminal.
 
Baekhyun leaned his head back on the couch. 
 
'Ap!' Bambam yelled as he stared at the black screen on the tv.
 
Baekhyun rubbed his back. 'Appa is not here'.
 
Bambam looked at Baekhyun. 'Eom'. He said as he pointed at Baekhyun.
 
'Eomma'. Baekhyun tried to correct him.
 
'Eom'. Bambam smiled.
 
Baekhyun shook his head and smiled.
 
'Eomma...' Baekhyun looked up and saw Taehyung come into the room.
 
'What is it?'
 
'Why'd you leave?' Taehyung climbed on the couch next to Baekhyun.
 
'Sorry, I couldn't sleep. So I came to check on your brother'.
 
Taehyung hugged Baekhyun and tried to go back to sleep.
 
Baekhyun put his arm around Taehyung and kissed the top of his head. He watched Taehyung fall back asleep.
 
 
A few hours later, Mrs. Byun turned the news on while Baekhyun was playing with the kids trying too take his mind off of Daehyun.
 
Mrs. Byun saw them start talking about Daehyun and called for Baekhyun.
 
'A decision has been made about the man that attacked EXO Planet'.
 
'Baekhyun!' Mrs Byun called.
 
The screen turned to show officer Park making an announcement about Daehyun.
 
'We have found it in the best interest of EXO Planet to go ahead with the death penalty of the attacker'.
 
Baekhyun ran into the room right when officer Park mentioned the death penalty. Baekhyun collapsed on the floor not believing what he was hearing.
 
Mrs. Byun went over to Baekhyun. 'I'm so sorry honey'.
 
Baekhyun shook his head. 'I can't let them do this'.
 
Baekhyun got up and ran out of the house. Tears blinding his vision as he ran. He didn't care about the tears, he just cared about getting to Daehyun.
 
 
Baekhyun ran inside the police station and went over to officer Park.
 
'How could you?' Baekhyun yelled.
 
Officer Park backed away from Baekhyun as much as he could but ran into the wall behind him.
 
'I'm sorry. It was a unanimous decision'.
 
'So you want to take away my husband and my sons father?' Baekhyun glared at him.
 
'You need to back up'. Officer Park said.
 
'Not until you change your mind and let my husband go'.
 
Officer Park shook his head. 'I'm sorry. It's too late'. He looked at Baekhyun. 'We feel that this will send a message to his father to stop attacking EXO Planet'.
 
Baekhyun glared at him. 'I've got news for you. He doesn't give a crap about his son. To him you'd be doing him a favor by getting rid of Daehyun. Not scaring him'.
 
'You really expect us to believe that?' He said as he eyed Baekhyun. 'I think you'll say anything to get us to let your husband go'.
 
Baekhyun got in officer Park's face. 'I told you, my husband is innocent. I'm only telling you what you're too blind to see'.
 
'The decision won't be changed'.
 
Baekhyun shoved everything off of Officer Park's desk.
 
'Let my husband go. He doesn't deserve this'.
 
Baekhyun felt officer Kim grab him. 'Don't touch me!' Baekhyun yelled.
 
'You need to calm down'. Officer Park said. 'Or I will have you arrested'.
 
'How the hell do you expect me to calm down when you're going to murder my husband?!'
 
'I'm sorry'.
 
'You're not sorry'. Baekhyun shoved him. 'But you're gonna be'.
 
Officer Kim grabbed Baekhyun and started to handcuff him. 
 
'You want to join your husband?' Officer Park asked. 'Cause you're on your way if you don't stop acting like this'.
 
Baekhyun glared at him. 'You let both of us go and you'll never see me again'.
 
'I told you, I can't do that'.
 
'His father is the one you want'. Baekhyun said.
 
'We'll catch him next'.
 
Baekhyun rolled his eyes. 'You should be doing that now instead of fighting with me'.
 
'We would be able to try and find him if you weren't here bothering us'.
 
'I'm not bothering you. I'm trying to get an innocent man out of here'.
 
Officer Park got close to Baekhyun. 'Your husband isn't even here anymore'.
 
'What?' Baekhyun looked at him.
 
'He was taken out of here after the decision was made'.
 
Baekhyun tried to get away from officer Kim. 'Let me see him'. Baekhyun looked at officer Park. 'Take me to him'.
 
'You've caused enough problems already'.
 
'Please'. Baekhyun pleaded. 'I have to see my husband'.
 
Officer Park agreed just so he'd get Baekhyun off his back.
 
 
Baekhyun was taken to another building where Daehyun was being held. Officer Kim and Park escorted Baekhyun to Daehyun's room.
 
Baekhyun went over to Daehyun and saw him handcuffed.
 
'Dae!'
 
'Baek'. Daehyun said. 'You shouldn't be here now'.
 
'You think I'd stay away from you when you need me the most right now?' Baekhyun looked at him confused.
 
'I just don't want you to see this'. Daehyun looked at the ground.
 
'There's still time to get you out of here'.
 
'How?' Daehyun looked at him. 'You said they won't listen'.
 
Baekhyun shook his head. 'There has to be a way'.
 
Daehyun tried to grab Baekhyun's hand. 'I'm sorry I didn't go with you and the boys'.
 
'It's too late now'. Baekhyun sighed.
 
Daehyun leaned forward and kissed Baekhyun.
 
'Hey, none of that'. Officer Park said trying to get them apart. 'You're only here to see each other'.
 
Baekhyun glared at him. 'Get lost! This is our time together before you seperate us for good'.

'Time's over anyway'. Officer Park said as he grabbed Daehyun.

'Get away from him!' Baekhyun yelled.

Officer Kim grabbed Baekhyun and kept him away from Daehyun. They took Daehyun and Baekhyun to separate rooms.

Baekhyun was scared more than ever now at thinking that was the last time he would ever see Daehyun.

 

Baekhyun sat in the corner of the room. Officer Park came inside and went over to Baekhyun.

'Get away from me'. Baekhyun said.

'I came to check on you'.

Baekhyun glared at him. 'I don't want to see you...murderer'.

Officer Park sighed. 'Look, I'm just trying to do my job which is protect the community'.

'You have the wrong guy'.

'I don't think we do'.

'You really think I would be married to a criminal?'

Officer Park shrugged. 'People snap. Anyone could turn into a criminal'.

'I know my husband didn't do this. But you won't listen'. Baekhyun looked at his lap as tears fell from his eyes.

Officer Park gave him a tissue. 'Deciding someone's fate is not easy for us. I know you hate us for what we're about to do, but we have no choice'.

'You had a choice!' Baekhyun turned to him. 'You chose wrong. Now what are my kids going to do without their father?'

'I'm sorry'.

'Is that all you can say? Cause sorry doesn't mean anything right now'.

Officer Park sighed and stood up knowing nothing he said to Baekhyun would help. Daehyun was on his way to his death.

 

Before officer Park could get to the door, officer Kim walked into the room.

'Sorry to interrupt, but we just got word of another attack downtown'.

Baekhyun looked up. 'It's Mr. Jung. Daehyun isn't able to attack anyone'.

Officer Park sighed. 'Stay here while I deal with this'.

'But...' Baekhyun started. But officer Park and Kim left without another word.

Baekhyun tried to open the door but it was locked. There was no way he could get to Daehyun now.