Changes

Double Trouble (Hyun Family)

Baekhyun had been miserable for days. He told his mom what happened with Daehyun and she tried to comfort him, but it wasn't working. Baekhyun was upset and pissed off at Daehyun for leaving without saying anything. It put Baekhyun in a tough spot with the kids.

Baekhyun was glad he had his mom's help, but it wasn't the same without Daehyun.

'Daehyun promised he would never leave me again'. Baekhyun wiped the tears that escaped his eyes. 'Why would he break his promise?'

Mrs. Byun put her hand on Baekhyun's knee. 'I'm sorry he did this to you. But I think he needs time for himself. From what he left in his letter, he isn't able to focus on you and the kids till he knows his father is no longer a threat'.

Baekhyun kept wiping the tears from his eyes. 'He didn't have to leave behind my back like that'.

'Would you of stopped him from leaving?'

'Of course I would of! I don't trust his father. He'll hurt Daehyun'.

Mrs. Byun sighed and kept trying to comfort Baekhyun. 'I know this is hard for you, but you have to be strong for the kids. Daehyun is a strong man, he'll be back'.

Baekhyun wanted to believe his mom, but he had a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Baekhyun looked down at his hand and played with his wedding ring. He saw Daehyun's name on it as he twisted the band around. All the good memories of their love flooding back to him. He was scared Daehyun would never return to him, no matter how much he promised he would.

 

*A couple weeks later*

 

Baekhyun's alarm went off. He groaned as he reached over and turned it off. He forced himself out of bed like he had been doing since Daehyun left.

He was having a hard time being strong in front of the kids. Taehyung was worried about Baekhyun. He had never seen him that upset. Even when Daehyun was almost given the death penalty, Baekhyun had put on a smile for the kids. But now it was like Baekhyun had reached his breaking point of acting happy for them. He just went through the motions of his daily routine.

Mrs. Byun had noticed the change in Baekhyun and tried to help him with the kids as much as she could.

 

Baekhyun went to the boy's room and woke up Taehyung. He shook him gently.

'Tae baby, get up'.

Taehyung rubbed his eyes and looked at Baekhyun. 'Why?'

'Because, you need to go to school'.

Baekhyun hated the thought of Taehyung going to school on Earth, but he had no choice. He needed to go to work, and Mrs. Byun couldn't keep watching him all the time. 

Taehyung got out of bed and followed Baekhyun into the kitchen and ate breakfast. Baekhyun sat next to him as he ate.

'I know you've been going to school for a few days now, but just remember to not use your powers'.

'I know, eomma'.

Baekhyun smiled and moved the hair out of Taehyung's eyes.

'Eomma?'

'Yes?'

'When's appa coming home?'

Baekhyun's smile faded at the mention of Daehyun. He hadn't told Taehyung where Daehyun went. Just that he would be gone awhile.

'I don't know. But he'll be back when he can'. Baekhyun said as he stood up from the table.

'Finish eating so you can go to school'.

'Okay, eomma'.

 

Baekhyun went to his room and changed into his work clothes. A lot of Daehyun's things were still there and it upset Baekhyun to see them and not know what was going on with Daehyun.

Baekhyun shut the door to the closet and heard his phone going off. He went over to the nightstand and picked it up.

'Hello?' He answered.

'Baek?' Baekhyun froze at the sound of Daehyun's voice.

'Dae?'

'Yeah'.

'What the hell, Dae! Why did you wait so long to call me back? Are you alright? What's going on?'

Baekhyun kept throwing a million questions at Daehyun.

'Baek, calm down'. Daehyun interrupted him. 'Everything is fine. I was just calling to check on you and the boys. I knew you'd be worried'.

'Of course I'm worried! You snuck out in the middle of the night to go confront your father. You haven't contacted me in weeks. I really hate you did this Daehyun'.

'I know. I'm sorry'.

'How many times are you going to leave me and the boys?'

'Baek, I'm not leaving you. I'm doing this for you and the boys'.

'Dae, I'm having to be a single parent to Taehyung and BamBam again. I can't keep doing this'.

'What are you saying?'

'Come back to me and the boys and never leave again'.

Daehyun sighed. 'I want to be back with you more than anything. But I'm close to taking down my father. I need to stay here a little while longer. I'm sorry'.

Baekhyun closed his eyes in frustration. 'Please be careful. It kills me that I can't help you'.

'I know. Just focus on the boys. I'll try to keep you updated so you don't worry'.

'I'm still going to worry until you're back in my arms'.

'I'll come back as soon as I can. I love you'.

'I love you too'.

Baekhyun heard Daehyun hang up on the other end. He pulled the phone away from his ear and hung up.

A part of him was relieved to know Daehyun was okay. It made him relax a little as he heard a knock on the door.

'Eomma?'

Baekhyun opened the door and found Taehyung dressed for school.

'I'm ready'.

Baekhyun smiled. 'I'll be right there'.

Baekhyun shut the door and finished getting ready for work, then he walked Taehyung to school.

 

Baekhyun dropped Taehyung off and left for work. Taehyung went in the classroom and saw the kids playing. He went to join them, but he saw a group of boys in the corner. He went over to see what was going on.

As he reached the boys, he heard them laughing and shoving a kid. Taehyung looked at the kid, but didn't recognize him. He only noticed the boy crying and cowering.

Taehyung didn't like what he was seeing. He wanted to stand up to the boys but there were too many of them.

Luckily, the teacher started calling them over and they left the boy alone.

Taehyung went over to the boy and tried to put his hand on his shoulder, but the boy suddenly pulled away from him.

'Don't touch me'.

'I wasn't going to hurt you'. Taehyung said. 'I came to check on you'.

'Please, leave me alone'.

Taehyung pulled away and started to leave, but he kept eyeing the boy carefully. He knew the other boys hurt him, but he didn't know why. He didn't like seeing the boy curled up in a ball on the floor.

Taehyung looked around to make sure no one was looking before he went back over to the boy.

The boy looked up at Taehyung with watery eyes, not knowing what he was going to do.

'What's your name?' Taehyung asked.

'Jungkook'. The boy whispered.

Taehyung smiled at him. 'I'm Taehyung. Are you new here?'

Jungkook nodded. 'That's why the boys were picking on me. They were hitting me and calling me names'.

'They did that to me too on my first day'.

'Really?' Jungkook sat up and wiped his eyes.

'Yeah'. Taehyung nodded. 'They're jerks. But I'll be your friend'.

Jungkook was hesitant as he looked at Taehyung.

'Can I show you something?' Taehyung asked. 'It might cheer you up'.

'What is it?' Jungkook asked.

Taehyung sat in front of Jungkook and opened his hand, palm up. 

Jungkook stared in shock as light shone from Taehyung's hand.

'How are you doing that?'

'It's a secret'. Taehyung smiled. 'My eomma taught me'.

'Can you teach me?'

Taehyung bit his lip. He knew he couldn't, but he was enjoying seeing the excitement on Jungkook's face. 'I can try'.

Taehyung tried to pass the light to Jungkook's hand, but nothing happened. 

Taehyung could tell Jungkook was disappointed he wasn't able to get the light in his hands, but he kept trying.

 

As Taehyung kept showing Jungkook his powers, he heard the boys from earlier come over to them.

'You're a freak just like the new kid'.

Taehyung glared at them and stood in front of Jungkook to protect him.

'I'm not a freak. I'm just more talented than all of you. None of you can do this'.

Taehyung held his hand out as the light kept shining in his hand.

'Cut it out, freak!'

One boy shoved Taehyung against the wall. That was enough to upset him and the lights started flickering.

Everyone in the classroom started screaming and crying. Taehyung suddenly realized why Baekhyun told him not to use his powers.

 

Baekhyun finished his shift and started heading home. As he made his way up the steps, he heard someone behind him.

'Hi'.

Baekhyun turned to the voice behind him, but didn't recognize him.

'Hi'. Baekhyun fake smiled.

'Sorry to bother you. I just moved in next door and I'm trying to get to know the neighbors'.

'Oh. Well hope you like it here'. Baekhyun said as he tried to get inside.

'I'm Chanyeol'. The guy said, not taking the hint Baekhyun wasn't in the mood to talk.

'I'm Baekhyun'.

'Have you lived here long?' Chanyeol asked.

'A few months. It's a nice place'.

Chanyeol nodded. 'Seems like it'.

Baekhyun opened the door and tried to go inside, but Chanyeol kept asking him questions.

'I saw you walk by yesterday. You have kids right?'

Baekhyun nodded. 'I have two sons. Why?'

'I have a son as well'. Chanyeol said. 'Step son actually. He's the only one I have. I was thinking they could hang out since he doesn't have any friends here'.

Baekhyun smiled. 'I'm sure the boys will like that'.

'Maybe we could hang out while the kids spend time together. If your wife is okay with that'.

Baekhyun raised his eyebrow. 'I don't have a wife'.

'Me either. Single parent'.

'I'm not...' Baekhyun started but was interrupted by his phone going off. He reached in his pocket and answered it.

'What?! I'll be right there'.

Baekhyun hung up the phone. 'I gotta go'. He told Chanyeol and made his way to Taehyung's school.

 

When Baekhyun got to the school, he found Taehyung sitting in the principal's office. The principal and Taehyung's teacher led Baekhyun into the office and shut the door.

'Thank you for coming Mr. Jung. I'm sorry to call you in such short notice, but this is a very serious situation your son has caused'.

'What did Taehyung do?' Baekhyun asked, even though he had an idea what happened.

'I can't even explain it'. Taehyung's teacher started. 'I had called the students over to start class, but Taehyung stayed behind. He was with the new student, and I saw light coming from Taehyung's hand'.

Baekhyun's eyes got wide as he listened to the teacher. 'Are you sure?'

'Positive'. She nodded. 'Everyone saw. Then the lights started flickering. I know it seems crazy, but it was like Taehyung was controlling them'.

'What? How could he?' Baekhyun asked, pretending he knew nothing about it. 'He's a kid. Kids don't have powers'.

'I told you it's crazy, but everyone saw it. So I thought it would be best to let you know what Taehyung did'.

'You can't prove a kid can control the lights'.

'What about the light in his hand?'

'Could of been anything'.

'Except there was nothing in his hand'.

'So what am I supposed to do?' Baekhyun asked.

'We just think it's in everyone's best interest if Taehyung leaves the class until we can figure out what happened. If it is Taehyung, we can't have him scaring the kids'.

Baekhyun leaned over and put his hands on the principal's desk. 'Are you kidding me? You're going to kick my son out of class for your building having faulty wiring?'

'This building is up to code. There is nothing wrong with the electrical wiring'.

Baekhyun sighed. 'Maybe not, but there's something wrong with a bunch of adults blaming an innocent kid for something he couldn't possibly do'.

'I'm sorry Mr. Jung'.

'Whatever'. Baekhyun made his way to the door. 'Taehyung can do better than this school'.

As Baekhyun opened the door, he turned to the teacher and principal. 'So, tell me, did the light in Taehyung's hand look like this?'

Baekhyun held his hand out and light shone brightly in his hand.

The principal and the teacher backed up terrified of the sight in front of them.

'Yes. How are you and your son able to do that?'

Baekhyun closed his hand and smiled slyly. 'It's a secret you'll never find out'.

Baekhyun left the principal's office and went to Taehyung, who was still sitting quietly in the chair.

'Let's go Taehyung'. Baekhyun grabbed his hand and started walking him home.

'I'm sorry, eomma'. Taehyung said as they kept walking. 'I know you told me not to use my powers'.

Baekhyun sighed. 'Why did you?'

Taehyung shrugged. 'I was just trying to cheer up the new kid. Everyone was bullying him. Then they started bullying me'.

'What?'

'They kept calling me a freak'.

Baekhyun stopped walking and kneeled next to Taehyung. 'You know you are not a freak. You're just different from everyone since you're not from Earth'.

Taehyung nodded.

'But there are other ways you could of cheered the new kid up. Exposing our powers is very dangerous'. Baekhyun looked at Taehyung seriously. 'But, I am proud of you for sticking up for the new kid'.

Taehyung smiled. 'I like him, he's nice'.

Taehyung started climbing the stairs to their apartment and heard someone call his name.

'Taehyung!'

Taehyung turned around and saw Jungkook running towards him.

'Jungkook. What are you doing here?' Taehyung asked.

'I live here'.

'Really?'

Jungkook nodded. 'Want to go play?'

'Yeah'.

Taehyung grabbed Jungkook's hand and led him to the backyard.

Baekhyun smiled as the boys went to play. He started making his way inside when he heard Chanyeol behind him.

'Looks like our boys like each other'. He smiled.

Baekhyun turned towards Chanyeol in shock. 'You're Jungkook's father?'

'Step father. But yeah, he's mine'. Chanyeol smiled. 'Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of each other'.

Baekhyun fake smiled. He didn't know how he was going to put up with Chanyeol and his flirting every time the boys hung out.

 

~ Author's Note ~

Huge thanks to my friend and fellow DaeBaek author, Haru Kamiya, for helping me put my ideas together for this story.