Occurence

BESTOWED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm currently sitting inside a cafe pretending to read some newspaper when a girl suddenly approaches me.

"Hi!" The girl smiles.

I look up to the girl. She's beautiful alright with her red miniskirt and white sweaters. I fold the newspaper and look at her properly.

"By any chance, is this seat taken?" The girl shows her seductive smile.

I smirk. I know exactly what will happen next. I eye the girl from head to toe and she shifts uncomfortably.

"Sorry." I tell her.

"What?" The girl asks, dumbstrucked.

"If you're looking for a man to quench your desire, i suggest you look for someone else."

"Why? You look fine to me."

The girl moves to take the seat in front of me but i'm too fast to kick the chair and it falls down. The girl jumps out of the way before it could've hit her.

"I said get lost." I glare and the girl immediately leaves without saying a word.

"Yah!" I hear Jiwon shout from the earpiece. "Why did you do that for?  You should've at least asked for her number. The girl's actually kind of hot."

"The dude!" I almost scream and immediately lower my voice upon remembering that i'm supposed to be sitting alone. "I have Jisoo."

"I didn't say it's for you, ." Jiwon laughs. "It's for me."

I sigh and turn to the piece of paper that Dr Park Bom had given to me a few days ago. After we had a meeting with the general that day, both Jiwon and i decided to confront Dr Park and asked her about the real reason behind hunting the rogue, Song Mino.

A few days ago:

Everyone is getting out of the room of the General's office after holding a strategic meeting and both Jiwon and I decide to follow Dr Park Bom into her office after that.

"Boys!" The red-headed doctor seems surprised. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to meet the other bestowed to relay the general's orders?"

Jiwon and i exchange uncomfortable looks.

"Actually," i start. "We're here to ask you something."

The doctor scowls.

I take a deep breath before speaking again. "What really happened ten years ago?"

Dr Park Bom's eyes widen.

"Please." This time it's Jiwon who speaks. "You have to tell us everything. We want to know what really happened that day. The day that it all started."

"I saw this guy's eyes." I tell her. "This guy's eyes are someone's whose been hurt and betrayed before. They are the eyes of someone who seeks blood."

The doctor grimaces. "It was actually our fault."

Jiwon and i scowl at the doctor.

"If we didn't agree with Dara's plan, if we've just been firmer of our decision to oppose her of her plan to escape, she might've been still alive until now."

My eyes widen. "You mean--"

The doctor nods.

"Is that the reason why the three of you got punished?" Jiwon asks. "For helping this Dara to escape?"

The doctor nods again. The red-headed woman exhales before handing us each a cup of tea. We graciously accept it.

"Dara had always been frail. I used to take care of her since Teddy is busy with his military duties." She pauses to take a sip from her own cup. "One day, Teddy approached me and told me about the STOW project and the existence of the Bestowed. The Den actually offered my husband to cure Dara of her sickness. But we both knew that they were just looking for someone to volunteer as a test subject for the ongoing STOW project. Teddy intended to refuse but Dara heard our conversation and begged her brother to allow her to volunteer."

"Why would she do that?" Jiwon asks. "It's suicide."

"It's love." The doctor smiles sadly. "Dara knew it. She was not stupid to realize that by volunteering for the STOW project, meant betting her own life on the line but she was willing to take that risk just to experience how it is to be normal."

Both Jiwon and I exchange knowing looks. The doctor sees it and smiles.

"That's right. Kwon Jiyong, the man who Dara ever loved." Dr Park pauses. "Dara arrived at the Den 12 years ago and Jiyong came with her. Jiyong during that time was just an ordinary 18-year old chaebol."

Our eyes widen. GD-sunbae came from a rich family? Dr Park might've have seen our reaction since we hear her laugh.

"That's right. Jiyong lived a perfectly comfortable life since his dad is a senator. You could say that he couldn't have asked for a better life than he already had with a supportive and loving parents and a beautiful girlfriend at his side." The doctor suddenly scowls. "But fate is cruel. When Jiyong knew the truth about Dara volunteering for the STOW project, he was left with a harsh choice. He had to choose between his family and Dara. Jiyong's parents wanted him to study abroad for college which meant leaving Dara behind. Jiyong couldn't take that and decided to leave. His parents, his future, his life as Kwon Jiyong, he left all of it for Dara. He asked for Teddy's help and applied for the Den."

I hear Jiwon whistles. "Wow."

Dr Park smiles. "Jiyong may look strict and harsh but he truly loved Dara and i believe he still is."

The doctor sighs. "Dara did the experiments and her health seemed to improve. Her stow also began to develop but after two months, some complications started to show up for some unknown reasons. Dara underwent numerous tests after that to pinpoint the exact cause of these implications. The doctors discovered that Dara was too old to start hosting and nurturing a stow and was considered a rare case. The age limit is supposed to be 18 years old but Dara started the experiment when she was already 22 years old. Two years after Dara's admission to the Den, they found a batch of young kids to test their new theory."

"And that batch," i look at the red-headed doctor. "Was that Song Mino's batch?"

The doctor nods. "The new theory proved to be correct and they started to work on the kids. During that time, Dara and Mino have gotten close. You see, Dara was that kind of girl. She was kind to them for she understood what they were going through. Mino had mistaken it for love and continued to adore Dara from afar until the day when Dara almost died from one of the experiments."

"And that was when the rebellion came in." Jiwon says.

"Both sides blame the other for Dara's death." The doctor continues. "They don't understand that what happened to Dara that day was just one of those unfortunate accidents that happens all the time."

Dr Park Bom offers us some cookies and we help ourselves.

"My husband blames Mino for planting this idea of escaping into her sister's head." The doctor shares. "While Mino obviously accuses us of killing his first love to prevent her from escaping that day. But the thing is, we couldn't have possibly planted the bomb into the car. Teddy and Jiyong wouldn't allow it. They loved her so much."

We nod. My eyebrows suddenly furrow. What the doctor had said still doesn't answer the questions why Song Mino is after Jisoo. Why only her? I look at the kind doctor. Can i really trust her?

"Doctor." I call Dr Park's attention and she turns towards me. "Why do you think Mino chose to show up now?"

The doctor blinks. "I--"

She seems uncomfortable and nervous. She's still hiding something from us, i just know it. How can i trust someone who's still hiding something from us?

The doctor bites her lip. "I'm not supposed to tell you this part of the story."

"What do you mean doc?" Jiwon asks.

Dr Park Bom stands and heads to grab a piece of paper from her desk and writes something on it. She hands it to me. I look at her before accepting the piece of paper from her.

"I know you still have a lot of questions to ask but you're asking the wrong person." Dr Park says. "If you want all your questions to be answered, i suggest you look for that person."

I scowl. Does the red-headed doctor know about Jisoo's involvement in this?

"Go." Dr Park Bom says.

I nod for the last time before leaving the room. I keep walking while being distracted that i haven't realized Jiwon is not following me anymore. I look back and scowl when i spot him just getting out from the doctor's office.

"What did you two talked about?" I ask him as soon as he caught up to me.

"Nothing." He answers. "She was just asking me about Jennie."

Present:

"Yah," i hear Jiwon again from the other line. He's currently hiding somew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter