Chapter 8

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung walked down the street leading to her school the next morning but was surprised that Sungjae was not there. Sooyoung checked her phone for new messages but didn't see any.

 

That’s odd. Oppa usually will tell me if he’s too sick to go to school.

 

Sooyoung tried calling Sungjae on his handphone but was directed to voicemail. She waited another 10 minutes before eventually heading to school alone, feeling puzzled and a little worried.

 

As she reached school, Eunkwang and Minhyuk had just arrived and she called out to them. “Oppa!”

 

Eunkwang and Minhyuk turned at the familiar voice and smiled as Sooyoung came running up.

 

“Oppa, have either of you seen Sungjae-oppa today?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“No, we haven’t. We don’t usually see each other until break time or after school. Is anything the matter?” asked Eunkwang concernedly.

 

“Sungjae-oppa didn't come to school with me today. He usually texts me if he’s not feeling well and not coming to school,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“Don’t worry too much, Sooyoung-ah. He probably just overslept,” said Minhyuk reassuringly.

 

“Ah, I see. Okay then,” replied Sooyoung, as she bowed politely and headed to her classroom, not thoroughly convinced.

 

As they watched Sooyoung walk over, Eunkwang and Minhyuk turned to each other.

 

“Do you think something happened yesterday when Sungjae left school?” asked Minhyuk.

 

 

FLASHBACK

 

Hyunsik headed to the toilet after the announcement in the hall and as he walked down the corridor that led to the toilet, he glanced down at the school field and gate and was surprised to see Sungjae striding out of school.

 

“Sungjae-ah!” called Hyunsik.

 

To Hyunsik’s surprise, even though Sungjae was within earshot, Sungjae continued striding out of school, his ears red as beetroot and his face black as thunder. Hyunsik felt worried and immediately texted in the MISSION TO AWAKEN MAKNAE TO HIS FEELINGS chat.

 

Hyunsik: Hey guys, I just saw Sungjae walk out of school.

 

Eunkwang: At this time? Doesn’t he still have lessons later?

 

Hyunsik: Molla.

 

Changsub: Could he be feeling sick?

 

Hyunsik: At the rate that he was striding out of school? I really doubt it.

 

Ilhoon: Aish~! That maknae is always making us worry.

 

Eunkwang: I think we can ask him tomorrow.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

 

“I think we should visit Sungjae after school today,” said Eunkwang.

 

“I’ll come along. Do you think we should get the others to go as well?” asked Minhyuk.

 

“Anni. I have a feeling something’s happened and we should handle it first,” insisted Eunkwang, sounding uncharacteristically serious. “We can rope in the others when we figure out exactly what’s wrong.”

 

“You sound serious,” said Minhyuk apprehensively.

 

“Sungjae is cheeky, playful and pretty much the happy virus in our group. But he’s never irresponsible,” said Eunkwang. “For Sungjae to skip the rest of the school day yesterday and not turn up for school today without informing anybody is totally unlike Sungjae. That’s why I think something’s happened.”

 

“Hmmm, you have a point,” replied Minhyuk. “Shall we head there straight after our last lesson.”

 

“Sounds good. I’ll see you outside the school gate then,” said Eunkwang.

 

 

Eunkwang and Minhyuk met at the school gate promptly at 2pm after their lessons ended and made a beeline for Sungjae’s house. Upon reaching, Minhyuk rang the doorbell and the pair waited for someone to open the door. After waiting for a few seconds, the door was opened by Sungjae’s mother.

 

“Annyeonghasaeyo, eommonim,” greeted the pair politely.

 

“Ah, Eunkwang-ah, Minhyuk-ah,” said Mrs. Yook. “Are you here to see Sungjae?”

 

“Yes, eommonim. Is he at home? He didn’t come to school yesterday,” said Eunkwang.

 

Mrs. Yook’s eyebrows knitted slightly and she beckoned them to come in. Once they settled themselves in the living room, Mrs. Yook came over and sat with them.

 

“I don’t know what happened. Sungjae came storming into the house yesterday afternoon and locked himself in his room,” said Mrs. Yook in a worried tone. “I’ve never seen him like that before. He’s been in bad moods before but never anything like this. Has anything happened?”

 

“Not that we know, Mrs. Yook. But we can talk to him and see what we can do,” said Minhyuk reassuringly.

 

“Thank you both so much. You’re his best friends, so I’m sure he’ll listen to you. Hopefully he’ll listen to you more than he’ll listen to me,’ said Mrs. Yook.

 

“We’ll go to his room now,” said Eunkwang.

 

“You go ahead then. I’ll head out to do some grocery shopping. Feel free to help yourselves to anything you want to eat or drink. Hope you’ll be able to talk some sense into him,” said Mrs. Yook.

 

The pair nodded and headed to Sungjae’s room. Eunkwang knocked but no response came. The pair grew worried and opened the door without invitation.

 

Sungjae was lying curled up in bed, staring into space. Eunkwang and Minhyuk walked over to his bed and stood over him.

 

“Sungjae-ah, what happened to you?” asked Minhyuk gently.

 

Sungjae didn’t reply but simply continued staring into space. Eunkwang sat down next to him and put his arm around Sungjae.

 

“Maknae-ah, do you want to tell us what happened?” asked Eunkwang gently.

 

“GET OUT!” shouted Sungjae suddenly, shocking both Eunkwang and Minhyuk. A flash of anger streaked through Minhyuk but Eunkwang gripped Minhyuk’s arm and shook his head.

 

“Sungjae-ah,” said Eunkwang soothingly. “Did something happen with Sooyoungie?”

 

At the mention of Sooyoung, tears welled up and leaked out of Sungjae’s eyes, wetting his pillow. Eunkwang leant in and hugged Sungjae, while patting him on his back.

 

“There, there. Cry it out. You’ll feel better,” said Eunkwang soothingly.

 

Sungjae cried for another 15 minutes before he finally calmed down. As his crying quietened to sobs, Sungjae said, “Please leave me alone, hyungs.”

 

“Sungjae-ah,” began Minhyuk.

 

“Please, hyung. I need time to be alone,” insisted Sungjae.

 

Minhyuk was about to speak again when Eunkwang cut him off. “All right, we understand. You rest well, Sungjae-ah.”

 

Eunkwang and Minhyuk walked out of his room and closed the door behind them. They settled down in the living room before Minhyuk asked, “Yah, why did you do that?”

 

“You saw how he was, Minhyuk-ah,” replied Eunkwang softly, careful not to speak at a volume that could be heard by Sungjae in his room. “Pressing him more would only have made him have a meltdown. Anyway, it’s not like it was a total loss. We have more information now.”

 

“We do?” asked Minhyuk in a surprised tone.

 

“Of course! Didn’t you notice?” asked Eunkwang, surprised at Minhyuk’s lack of attention. “Why did Sungjae start crying?”

 

“Because… because… because you mentioned Sooyoung!” replied Minhyuk.

 

“That’s right. At least we have a lead now. W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter