Chapter 10

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It’s this ward, Chorong-ah,” said Changsub.

 

Changsub and Chorong walked into Sungjae’s ward together the following day, just as the doctor had finished his checkup.

 

“You should be discharged tomorrow, Sungjae-ssi,” said the doctor.

 

“Kamsahamnida,” replied Sungjae.

 

As the doctor walked out, Changsub and Chorong walked over to Sungjae.

 

“Looks like you’re recovering well, maknae-ah!” said Changsub brightly, as he ruffled Sungjae’s hair.

 

“Aaaaeeee hyung. Annyeonghasaeyo, jesu-ssi,” said Sungjae.

 

“Good to see you, Sungjae-ah. I’ll head over to the cafeteria first and leave you two to talk. Do you want anything, Subbie?” asked Chorong.

 

“Aish~ Don’t call me that in front of my dongsaeng. No, I don’t need anything. You go ahead,” replied Changsub.

 

As Chorong walked out, Sungjae looked at Changsub cheekily and said, “How have you been, Subbie?”

 

“Yah!” barked Changsub. “If you can tease me like that, then it means you’ve fully recovered. I should leave now.”

 

“Aaaaeeee hyung. Don’t be so petty. It’s nice to have you here,” laughed Sungjae.

 

“Does your head wound still hurt?” asked Changsub.

 

“Anni. The doctor also said I can be discharged tomorrow,” replied Sungjae.

 

“Then does your heart still hurt?” asked Changsub abruptly.

 

Sungjae’s smile faded and his expression darkened. “What are you talking about, hyung?”

 

“Don’t try to hide it from me, Yook Sungjae. Haven’t we known each other long enough? Eunkwang-hyung told me everything about what happened when he and Minhyuk-hyung went to visit you the other day,” related Changsub. “Something happened with Sooyoungie, am I right?”

 

Sungjae remained silent and stared ahead of him. Changsub remained silent too, as he waited for Sungjae to speak.

 

“I’m a fool, hyung,” began Sungjae. “I always thought she was just a dongsaeng to me. But… but… when I found out that Hyunwoo was trying to win her heart, I felt so uneasy. I felt uneasy when she didn't tell me that Hyunwoo had confessed to her. I thought I felt that way because she didn't tell me even though we were such close friends. But… I know it’s not the case now.”

 

“Then why don’t you do something about it now, Sungjae-ah?” asked Changsub. “You see each other so often, I’m sure it won’t be difficult for you to win her heart.”

 

Sungjae gave a mirthless laugh and said bitterly, “I’m too late, hyung.”

 

“Bwoh? What do you mean?” asked Changsub.

 

“Hyunwoo confessed to her a few weeks ago,” said Sungjae flatly.

 

“BWOH?! How do you know?” asked Changsub.

 

“I heard her say it personally. The point is: I’m too late,” said Sungjae.

 

“He only confessed to Sooyoung. Surely you can still try to fight for her,” replied Changsub.

 

“Sooyoung… Sooyoung accepted his feelings, hyung,” said Sungjae, choking up as tears welled up in his eyes. “I’ve lost her, hyung.”

 

Changsub leant over and put his arm around Sungjae’s shoulders. Changsub patted Sungjae’s back comfortingly, as Sungjae wept into Changsub’s shoulder.

 

 

“Did you enjoy our lunch today, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Hyunwoo.

 

“Neh. I especially liked the spicy stir-fried octopus,” replied Sooyoung with a smile.

 

“I’m glad,” replied Hyunwoo, as they reached Sooyoung’s place.

 

Sooyoung let go of Hyunwoo’s hand and said, “I’ll get going then. See you tomorrow, oppa.”

 

Hyunwoo watched her as she entered her house, hoping that she would turn back and smile at him. But Sooyoung had already entered her house.

 

 

Sungjae wept for nearly 20 minutes, venting all the frustration and pain he had bottled up inside him all this while. All Changsub could do was pat him on the back and comfort him as he cried. As much as Changsub loved to tease his maknae, he nursed a very soft spot for him and seeing Sungjae in this state made Changsub’s heart ache.

 

Sungjae’s crying quietened to sobs and he eventually let go of Changsub’s shoulder.

 

“What should I do now, hyung?” asked Sungjae.

 

Changsub looked at Sungjae for a long while, before replying, “I think you should sleep on it and stop thinking about it for now. You don’t need a problem on your mind weighing you down when you have injuries to nurse. We can always talk as a group again once you’ve fully recovered. I don’t want you to keep thinking about this problem over the next few days, Sungjae-ah. Things won’t change whether you think about it or not. Focus on getting well and we’ll talk about it again when you’re discharged.”

 

“Arasso, hyung,” said Sungjae as he laid back down in bed.

 

“And don’t you ever dare run off like that again!” barked Changsub, as he smacked Sungjae on the head.

 

“Appo! Hyung! I haven’t removed my stitches!” complained Sungjae.

 

“Serves you right! And there will be more if you ever dare to make Sooyoung and us worry about you like that again!” scolded Changsub.

 

“Sooyoung was worried about me?” asked Sungjae in a hopeful tone.

 

“Of course! Why else would she have put herself in danger by been wandering around at midnight looking for some stupid idiot?” said Changsub.

 

Sungjae lapsed into silence again for some time before saying, “Do you think there’s still hope for me, hyung?”

 

“Aish! I told you to stop thinking about it! We’ll talk again when you get discharged. Did the doctor say when?” asked Changsub.

 

“I’m getting discharged tomorrow, hyung. Are we meeting tomorrow?” asked Sungjae.

 

“Should be. I’ll get going now. You rest well and we’ll see you tomorrow. Now, I’d better go find Chorong before that crazy woman wipes out the whole cafeteria,” said Changsub, as he got up to leave.

 

Sungjae laughed and bade Changsub goodbye, before snuggling back into bed.

 

I know I shouldn't be hoping. I’m in no position to hope. But Sooyoung-ah, I still hope I stand a chance. Jinjja nomu saranghae, Sooyoung-ah. I hope I’ll have the chance to tell you this one day.

 

Sungjae indulged in his thoughts for another half an hour before he dozed off.

 

 

Changsub found Chorong in the cafeteria stirring a cup of coffee as she turned the page of the book she was reading. As Changsub walked in, Chorong looked up and smiled. She bookmarked the page and put the book back in her bag, before looking up at Changsub.

 

“How did it go, Subbie? Did you manage to have a good talk with him?” asked Chorong.

 

“I did and I found out something that could be a game changer for Sungjae,” replied Changsub. “I need to discuss this with the other guys and see how we can help our maknae.”

 

“This sounds serious. Do you need to go off now?” asked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter