Chapter 17

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyunwoo’s cheek stung from the slap that Sooyoung had dealt him. Gripping it with his left hand, fury brewed in his eyes as he glared at Sooyoung.

 

“So is this payback for me cheating on you?” demanded Hyunwoo. Thankfully, the rest of his class was in the canteen as it was their break time.

 

“Stop acting, Lee Hyunwoo!” screamed Sooyoung in such a loud and high voice that the mask of anger that Hyunwoo had put on slipped to give way to an expression of shock.

 

“You never cheated on me! You only pretended you did! Why did you do that?” continued Sooyoung, her eyes shining with tears.

 

“Moragu? Who told you that?” asked Hyunwoo.

 

“It doesn’t matter who told me. But why did you have to do that?” asked Sooyoung.

 

Hyunwoo looked at Sooyoung intently for a few moments, before seizing her wrist and pulling her along with him, as they headed for the rooftop. When they finally reached the rooftop, Sooyoung pulled her hand out of his grip, as he turned to face her.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, I did that because everyone around you, including me, could see your true feelings. You didn’t have to tell me anything. I know we didn't end on a good note but I meant what I said when I broke up with you. You only ever had feelings for Sungjae, and none for me. I didn't want you to be stuck in a loveless relationship with me. That’s why I chose to do what I did,” said Hyunwoo.

 

“Who gave you the right to decide anything for me?” said Sooyoung in as scathing a tone as she could manage, as she blinked away the tears in her eyes.

 

“Nobody. But you would never have made that decision by yourself. You know deep down that that's true. I believed that making you believe that I cheated on you would hurt you enough to mute the guilt that you would have experienced,” related Hyunwoo. “Tell me honestly, Sooyoung. Didn't you feel any relief when you found out that I was cheating on you? Didn't you feel happy when you finally got together with Sungjae? Look deep into yourself and answer me honestly.”

 

Sooyoung didn't have to look deep into herself to answer that. She had known the answer to that from the beginning. She had felt relieved when she thought that Hyunwoo was cheating on her. Even though she had not been conscious of it, she realised that she had felt relieved. And there could be no denying of the fact that Sungjae’s confession had sent her to seventh heaven. She had had a crush on Sungjae for so long and him confessing had indeed given her bliss and happiness of a kind that she had never known.

 

Hyunwoo stared intently at her, as he watched her figure out her own thoughts. “I don't need you to answer my questions, Sooyoung-ah. I know what your honest answers are and I’m happy to accept those answers,” said Hyunwoo. “Also, I hope you won’t blame Seungwan-ssi. I dragged her into this mess. If you want to blame anyone, just put all the blame on me. I really hope this incident doesn’t damage the long and deep relationship you have with her. She just wanted the best for you because she could see what I saw too.”

 

Hyunwoo paused and looked at Sooyoung, who had to look away. “It’s probably too much to ask for but I hope we can still be friends in future,” finished Hyunwoo.

 

Hyunwoo smiled at Sooyoung, though his eyes betrayed the sadness that he felt deep inside. He turned to leave and Sooyoung watched him walk back to his class.

 

 

Sooyoung sat at the bench next to the playground near her house after school, as she mulled over what Hyunwoo said earlier that day. She buried her face in her hands but try as she might, she could not get the sadness that she saw in Hyunwoo’s eyes out of her mind. Suddenly, Sooyoung felt someone tap her gently on her shoulder. Sooyoung looked up and saw the little girl who had been swinging on the swing a short while ago.

 

“Unnie, this is for you,” said the girl, as she held out a peach-flavoured sweet.

 

“Omo, what is this for?” asked Sooyoung in surprise.

 

“You look sad, unnie. I hope this will make you feel better,” replied the girl with a sweet smile.

 

Sooyoung smiled and said, “Kwenchana. You keep it. You offering it to me has made me feel better already.”

 

“Andwaeyo, unnie. I can tell that you’re not telling the truth. You’re still feeling sad,” said the girl.

 

Sooyoung hesitated before finally accepting the sweet. “Gomawoyo. Would you like me to push you on the swing in return?”

 

“Yes!” squealed the girl in delight, as she ran over to the swing. Sooyoung laughed and walked over to the swing and started pushing the girl. They did so for 10 minutes before Sooyoung stopped for a rest.

 

“You’re still feeling sad, aren’t you, unnie?” asked the girl.

 

“A little. But I know someone who will make me feel happy again later,” replied Sooyoung with a smile.

 

The girl was about to reply when they heard someone shout behind them, “Sooyoung-ah!”

 

Sooyoung and the girl turned and saw Sungjae running over to them.

 

“Sooyoung-ah!” called Sungjae, as he ran over to the two girls. “Why did you go off without me today? Didn't we agree to walk home together today?”

 

“Ah, mianhe oppa. Something happened and I got too distracted thinking about it,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Unnie, is this oppa the person who will make you feel happy again?” asked the girl.

 

Sooyoung and Sungjae turned to look at the girl. Sungjae blushed a little as Sooyoung gave a short laugh and replied, “Neh! This is the person who will make me feel happy again.”

 

Sooyoung giggled at Sungjae’s confusion as she wrapped her arms around Sungjae’s waist. “You’ll make me feel happy again, won’t you?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Of course!” said Sungjae. “What do you want me to do?”

 

“She wants you to kiss her,” replied the girl on Sooyoung’s behalf.

 

“Bwoh?” said Sooyoung with an aghast look on her face.

 

“Is that all? That’s easy!” said Sungjae with a huge grin, as he puckered up and leant forward.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter