Chapter 24

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Bbyu couple reached the hospital fifteen minutes later. Sungjae paid for the cab fare and the pair ran into the hospital and frantically looked for the lifts. After what seemed like an eternity, they finally located ward 6B and ran in. However, they nearly took a step back after seeing the number of people in the ward.

 

“Sungjae-oppa!” cried a familiar voice, as So Hyun came running out from the mass of people and hugged Sungjae’s leg with a tearful face.

 

Sungjae knelt and put an arm around the sobbing So Hyun. “Why are you here, So Hyun-ah?”

 

“I brought her here, Sungjae-ssi,” said Eunji from the corner.

 

Sooyoung walked over to Eunji and helped wipe off the tear streaks on Eunji’s cheeks. “Kwenchana, unnie? Why are you and So Hyun here?”

 

“Mianhe, Sooyoung-ah. Mianhe, Sungjae-ssi,” replied Eunji, as tears continued to fall. “I’m sorry I never told the both of you the truth. Halmonni wouldn't let me.”

 

“Tell us what, unnie?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Halmonni’s been suffering from terminal brain cancer. It was already nearing the terminal stage when you first got to know her,” explained Eunji. “She refused to go for chemotherapy because she said it would only prolong a miserable life. She wanted to live the rest of her days happy. The doctor told her she would be able to live a normal life until the cancer finally takes its grip on her. And once it does, it meant that she could die within a few hours. The doctor predicted that she only had six months left when she was diagnosed. Halmonni said that was enough for her. She took care of So Hyun during this time because she wanted to be by herself as she lived out the rest of her days. I came over to stay with her because despite halmonni’s insistence, we wanted to make sure there was at least one person who could be there for her. As you saw for yourselves, halmonni could still function well on her own. But today…”

 

At this point, Eunji dissolved into tears again and Sooyoung put a comforting arm around her shoulders, though she had started crying as well.

 

A lady in her mid-forties came forward and addressed Sungjae and Sooyoung.

 

“You two must be Sungjae and Sooyoung,” said the lady. “I’m sorry you can’t talk to her now. The doctor had to administer a strong painkiller and she’s currently asleep. You can talk to her later when she’s awake… I hope.”

 

“Please don’t say that, eommoni. I’m sure halmonni will be fine,” said Sungjae.

 

“Thank you so much for coming to visit my daughter and mother. You two meant a lot to her,” said So Hyun’s mother.

 

“We didn't do much. We only came to visit So Hyun and halmonni once in a while,” replied Sungjae.

 

“That was more than enough for my mother,” said So Hyun’s mother. “I know she didn't want us around her in the past six months because she didn't want us to see her condition deteriorate. But during our phone calls, she used to speak most highly of this young couple who took good care of my daughter and often came over to keep her company. She told me that my daughter had even given you the nickname “Bbyu couple”. She laughed so loudly when she shared that with me and I remember feeling so happy. I can’t remember the last time my mother laughed that loudly after she was diagnosed with cancer. I thought to myself that if this young couple was able to make her so happy while she was living out her days, then they really must be something. So I really want to extend my deepest gratitude to the both of you.”

 

“Please don't say that, eommoni. We never saw it as a chore. All three of them were always so warm and welcoming. It was our pleasure to get to know them,” assured Sungjae.

 

A stir from the bed got everyone’s attention and So Hyun’s mother moved over to the bed immediately.

 

“Eomma! How are you feeling?” asked So Hyun’s mother.

 

“Kwenchana, kwenchana. Stop worrying so much about me,” said So Hyun’s grandmother.

 

“Eomma, there’s someone here to see you,” said So Hyun’s mother.

 

“Nugu?” asked So Hyun’s grandmother.

 

Sungjae and Sooyoung walked forward hand in hand.

 

“Halmonni, we’re here to see you,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Ah, Sooyoung-ah, Sungjae-ah! I’m sorry I never told you the truth. I hope you’ll forgive me but these past few months with you have been a blessing for both So Hyun and myself. I didn't want to ruin whatever you had built up with So Hyun. She also knew nothing about my condition,” said So Hyun’s grandmother.

 

“Please don’t say that, halmonni,” said Sooyoung in a tearful voice. “We loved every minute we spent with you, So Hyun and Eunji-unnie.”

 

“I have something for the both of you. I told Hyeri to order it for me as soon as she could after I woke up from my collapse. Hyeri-ah, can you bring it over please?” requested So Hyun’s grandmother.

 

“Neh, eomma,” said So Hyun’s mother, as she hurried forward with a small pouch in her hand.

 

So Hyun’s mother handed the pouch to Sooyoung, who took it with a confused look.

 

“What is this, halmonni?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Look at what’s inside it, Sooyoung-ah,” instructed So Hyun’s grandmother.

 

Sooyoung ped the pouch and tipped out the contents onto her hand. Two rose gold rings tumbled out of the pouch. Sungjae’s name was engraved on one, while Sooyoung’s name was engraved on the other. The character 쀼 was also engraved next to their names.

 

“Those rings are for you two, Sooyoung-ah,” said So Hyun’s grandmother.

 

“Bwoh? Andwaeyo, halmonni. Oppa and I can’t possibly accept such an expensive gift from you!” protested Sooyoung.

 

“That’s right, halmonni. We can’t accept this,” echoed Sungjae.

 

“Aish! Sungjae-ah! Sooyoung-ah! I’m dying! I have no more need for money. I don't even know if I can hold out till tomorrow. My entire family is filthy rich. Money did not buy me a longer life. But I saw in the both of you what money could not buy as well. Promise me that the two of you will last long, Sungjae-ah. Promise me that the belief I will carry into the afterlife of you two going long and far will be a true one. This is one of my last consolations,” ranted So Hyun’s grandmother.

 

“Halmonni, please don't talk like that,” protested Sooyoung, tears welling up in her eyes.

 

“She’s right, Sooyoung-ah,” interrupted So Hyun’s mother. “Our family is indeed quite well to do. But eomma refused to live in any form of luxury in the past six months because she felt angry that whatever money she had could not cure her cancer. The cost of these rings won’t take a toll on my family. Please take them as a form of appreciation for what you have done for my mother and daughter.”

 

Sooyoung nodded and slipped the rings into her pocket. Unable to hold in her tears, she leant o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter