Chapter 32

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungjae woke to see himself lying on the seat of a bus stop. He sat up from the seat and found himself clothed in a soft, white robe. The road in front of the bus stop looked like any other road he normally saw. But when he peered into the distance towards both ends of the road, all he could see was white mist. In fact, beyond the bus stop and the road in front of him, all he could see was white mist.

 

Sungjae got up from the seat and walked to the end of the bus stop, where a sign that typically showed the bus service numbers that served this bus stop stood. Sungjae saw that there was only one bus that served this bus stop.

 

“1004,” said Sungjae to himself. “Hahaha, am I becoming an angel?” [A/N: 1004 is pronounced ‘cheonsa’ (천사), same as the pronunciation for ‘angel’.]

 

Just as Sungjae finished that sentence, he heard the rumbling of an engine. Seconds later, a pure white double-decker bus emerged from the white mist and stopped in front of the bus stop. The front door of the bus opened. Sungjae peered into the bus and got a shock. There was no driver’s seat.

 

“I guess I shouldn't be scared that there’s no driver. After all, this is the afterlife,” thought Sungjae.

 

The bus remained stationary with its door open, as though expecting Sungjae to board before it could move on. Sungjae stepped onto the bus cautiously, while trying to see what was inside. The moment Sungjae placed both feet on the interior of the bus, the bus door closed and the bus moved off with a jerk, causing Sungjae to stumble.

 

“Careful, Sungjae-ah. The bus can be a little unstable sometimes,” said a familiar voice.

 

Sungjae looked up and saw So Hyun’s grandmother sitting on one of the seats, smiling serenely at him.

 

“Halmonni!” exclaimed Sungjae, as he walked over to sit next to her. “How have you been?”

 

“I’ve been good. Everything’s been peaceful for me and I can see that my So Hyun and Eunji are growing up nicely and healthily,” said So Hyun’s grandmother, though with a tinge of sadness.

 

“That’s great, halmonni,” replied Sungjae with a smile.

 

“No, it’s not!” said So Hyun’s grandmother suddenly in a sharp tone, as she hit Sungjae on the head with her hand.

 

“Ah! Wae, halmonni? Why did you hit me?” asked Sungjae.

 

“You weren’t supposed to come up so soon!” scolded So Hyun’s grandmother. “Didn't you and Sooyoung promise me that you would stay together as the Bbyu couple? Didn't you promise me that on my deathbed? Why did you come up here so soon? Why were you so foolish to make such a decision?”

 

Sungjae looked at his knees guiltily, before replying, “Anniya, halmonni. Sooyoung needed my heart. I couldn't bear for her to die like that. I just… I just wanted to protect her.”

 

So Hyun’s grandmother dealt Sungjae another blow on his head, before continuing, “You silly boy! Was it not enough that Sooyoung had no choice but to hurt all the people around her because of her condition? Now you have to add to their pain by doing this to yourself? Do you know how much pain you caused Sooyoung? She came to my grave and cried there for hours, begging me to help her stop you from doing what you planned.”

 

Sungjae hung his head, blinking away the tears that formed in his eyes.

 

“We were both stubborn, halmonni,” said Sooyoung.

 

“She had no choice, Sungjae-ah!” scolded So Hyun’s grandmother. “You did! Aish~ Maybe I should get Sooyoung to scold you herself.”

 

“How would Sooyoung be able to scold me now, halmonni?” asked Sungjae with a smile.

 

“Why not? She’s on the upper deck. She’ll come down in a short while to scold you,” said So Hyun’s grandmother.

 

“BWOH? What do you mean she’s on the upper deck?” asked Sungjae in shock.

 

Before So Hyun’s grandmother could reply, Sungjae heard soft footsteps coming from the staircase that lead to the second floor. Sungjae looked towards the staircase and saw Sooyoung step off the stairs. Sooyoung was wearing a beautiful white dress that seemed to make her glow.

 

“Oppa,” said Sooyoung softly with a smile.

 

“What are you doing here, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Sungjae panickedly, as he rushed over to Sooyoung’s side. “You shouldn't be here! I gave you my heart, didn't I? My heart was almost completely compatible with yours! You shouldn't be here!”

 

Sooyoung frowned a little and said, “It’s okay, oppa. Calm down and have a seat.”

 

Sooyoung and Sungjae sat on two adjoining seats, before Sungjae turned to Sooyoung and repeated his question, “So why are you here as well, Sooyoung-ah?”

 

“I don't know, oppa. I woke up and found myself at a bus stop. This bus came along and I boarded it. I saw halmonni and had a long chat with her. Then I remembered that there was an upper deck and went up to take a look. That’s when you boarded the bus,” said Sooyoung.

 

“But… but… but does that mean…?” Sungjae couldn't finish his question.

 

“I’m also not sure, oppa,” replied Sooyoung. “But I’m very angry with you for doing what you did.”

 

“Sooyoung-ah…” began Sungjae.

 

“But I’m happy that we’re talking now, oppa. I was foolish to think that breaking up with you would help you lessen your pain. I missed you so much, oppa,” said Sooyoung tearfully.

 

Sungjae reached out to Sooyoung and pulled her into his chest. Sooyoung leant in and the Bbyu couple hugged for the first time since they broke up. Sungjae had no idea how long they hugged but he eventually had to let go.

 

“What’s going to happen now, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Sungjae. “Are we going to become angels together? Is that why this bus has the service number ‘1004’?”

 

“Molla, oppa,” said Sooyoung.

 

“You can look at your tickets to check,” piped up So Hyun’s grandmother from behind them.

 

Sungjae gave a start at her words and turned to look at her.

 

“Tickets?” asked Sungjae.

 

“They’re in your pockets,” said So Hyun’s grandmother. “I think you didn't notice them, even though they’ve been there since you came here.”

 

Sooyoung and Sungjae reached into their pockets. Sure enough, Sungjae heard a faint rustling in his pocket and pulled out the ticket.

 

“Mine says 12,” said Sungjae.

 

“Mine doesn't have anything written on it,” said Sooyoung.

 

“That means Sooyoung won’t be getting off. You got on at bus stop 11, Sungjae-ah. Your stop is the next stop,” said So Hyun’s grandmother.

 

“Bwoh?! What are you saying, halmonni?” asked Sungjae in shock.

 

“There are certain things out of your control, Sungjae-ah,” replied So Hyun’s grandmother.

 

Sungjae turned to Sooyoung and clasped her hand in his. “I’ll change my ticket with yours, Sooyoung-ah. You should already have been saved. I have no need for t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter