Chapter 23

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The bell rang, indicating the end of the lesson for break. As Sungjae put away his things, Eunji stashed some papers under her desk and walked out of the classroom for break. Sungjae was about to do the same when one of the papers that Eunji had stashed underneath her table slipped out from the stash and floated over to Sungjae’s foot. Sungjae bent down to pick it up and saw that it was a receipt from the hospital.

 

Eunji-ssi has been to the hospital? Has she been unwell?

 

Sungjae looked at the receipt and decided to put it back underneath Eunji’s desk. As he stepped out of the classroom, he saw Eunji at the other end of the corridor with her back against the wall while pinching her nose bridge. Sungjae rushed forward concernedly and asked, “Kwenchana, Eunji-ssi?”

 

Eunji looked up and replied, “Ah, gomawo. Kwenchana, Sungjae-ssi.”

 

“Jinjja? I saw a receipt from the hospital under your desk. Have you been feeling unwell?” asked Sungjae.

 

To Sungjae’s immense surprise, Eunji looked up and stared daggers at Sungjae. “Did you look through my desk? Who gave you the permission to look through my desk?” asked Eunji, her voice trembling in anger.

 

“An-anniyo, Eunji-ssi,” replied Sungjae, slightly taken aback by Eunji’s response. “A receipt from the hospital dropped out from the bottom of your desk, so I picked it up and put it back under your desk. I didn't rummage through your desk on purpose. Have you been feeling unwell?”

 

The anger faded slightly from Eunji’s eyes, though her voice still trembled slightly as she said, “Anni. It’s nothing, Sungjae-ssi. Please don't think too much about it. I have to get going now.”

 

Eunji turned and strode off, though Sungjae could see that she was still very upset and she continued to pinch her nose bridge as she walked off. Sungjae walked off after her but turned in a different direction soon after to look for Sooyoung.

 

As Eunji heard Sungjae’s footsteps fade away behind her as she walked away, her expression relaxed a little, though her eyebrows were still knitted in deep thought.

 

He still doesn't know, right? Nobody must know! Especially Yook Sungjae!

 

 

That day after school, as Sooyoung stepped out of her classroom, she saw Sungjae walking briskly towards her classroom. She waved and called out with a smile, “Oppa!”

 

“Sooyoung-ah!” replied Sungjae, with a slight tone of urgency in his voice.

 

“Wae, oppa? Why do you sound so flustered?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Let’s go! We need to go somewhere today,” said Sungjae, as he grabbed Sooyoung’s hand and walked briskly towards the school gate.

 

“Where are we going, oppa? Why are you in such a hurry?” asked Sooyoung in surprise.

 

“I think there’s something wrong with Eunji and I want to be sure. I think you would want to know too, so I want you to come together to see what’s wrong,” replied Sungjae, as he kept up his steady pace.

 

“Eunji-unnie? What could be wrong with her?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“I saw a receipt from the hospital that fell out of her desk this morning. When I walked out of my classroom for break, she was leaning against the wall and pinching her nose, seeming like she was in pain. And I think she doesn't know that I noticed but after class just now, I saw her refer to an appointment card issued by the same hospital. Don't you think something has happened to her?” asked Sungjae.

 

“But even if something has, we have no right to interfere, oppa. Besides, it might not be anything serious,” reasoned Sooyoung, as she hastened to keep up with Sungjae’s pace. “Furthermore, how do you know which road to take to follow her?”

 

“I know the way she took because of the way she turned when I saw her walk out of school. There’s only one way to the hospital based on the route she took. Come on, we need to hurry!” said Sungjae urgently.

 

“Why are you so worried about her, oppa? I care for her too but don't you think this is going overboard?” asked Sooyoung, as she gradually became more and more out of breath from walking so fast.

 

“So Hyun and halmonni need Eunji around, Sooyoung-ah. How worried do you think halmonni is going to be if Eunji really is going through something on her own?” questioned Sungjae, as he broke into a run.

 

Sooyoung tried her best to match Sungjae’s pace but she eventually became winded and suddenly felt her breath catch in her chest sharply. A tightness clamped down on her chest and the world spun around her. The sudden feeling caught Sooyoung by surprise and she slowed her pace immediately.

 

“Oppa!” cried Sooyoung.

 

Sungjae heard and ran back to Sooyoung in shock. Sooyoung clutched at her chest and tried to draw breath, her face turning red with the effort.

 

“Sooyoung-ah! What’s wrong?” asked Sungjae in a panicked tone. “Calm down, Sooyoung-ah.”

 

Sooyoung fought to calm down and after a few seconds, she could draw breath again. Sungjae led her to a bench nearby and they sat down. Sungjae put an arm on her back and rubbed it gently, before asking, “Kwenchana, Sooyoung-ah?”

 

“I’m fine, oppa. Don't worry,” said Sooyoung.

 

“How can I not worry? Sooyoung-ah, it seems to me that you’ve been having more and more of these episodes. You never had such episodes before you entered high school. Has something been happening, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Sungjae.

 

“I don’t know, oppa. But I’m sure it’s nothing serious,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“Mianhe, Sooyoung-ah. I don’t know what came over me just now. I must be really obsessed with finding out what’s been happening with Eunji,” said Sungjae apologetically.

 

“Kwenchana, oppa,” replied Sooyoung with a reassuring smile.

 

“You should go see a doctor regarding these episodes, Sooyoung-ah,” said Sungjae. “Do you want me to go with you?”

 

“Anni, oppa. Don't make a big fuss out of nothing. Now, to make up for making me run after Eunji-unnie, you’re going to buy me lunch,” said Sooyoung with an aegyo face.

 

Sungjae laughed and replied, “Arasso. I’m craving jjampong. I know of this shop that’s been around for a long time that’s just around here. Does that sound good to you? It sells jjajangmyun too!”

 

“Yes! I want jjajangmyun today!” cheered Sooyoung.

 

Sungjae turned and squatted in front of Sooyoung.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter