Chapter 14

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Peniel and Hyunwoo walked in silence to the nurse’s office. As they reached, Peniel asked Hyunwoo, “Are you all right?”

 

“I’ll be fine,” replied Hyunwoo curtly. “Is the nurse around?”

 

Peniel peered into the office but saw no one there. “Nope. Do you want to come back later?”

 

“It’s fine. I’ll just attend to myself then,” said Hyunwoo. “Go back to class. I’ll be fine.”

 

Peniel nodded and walked off. Just as Peniel turned round the corner, a girl walked quietly into the nurse’s office. Hyunwoo looked up and gave a sigh.

 

“Do you want me to help you with that?” asked the girl.

 

 

“Hyung! Why did you drag me away? That bastard cheated on Sooyoung!” shouted Sungjae.

 

Minhyuk and Hyunsik maintained their vice-like grips on Sungjae as he continued to rant. Eunkwang and the rest waited patiently for Sungjae to tire himself out. Sungjae eventually shouted himself hoarse and quietened down.

 

“I won’t scold you, maknae-ah,” said Eunkwang. “But I’ll let someone else talk to you.”

 

Eunkwang stepped back as Peniel walked back to rejoin the group. A feminine figure trailed behind Peniel and Sungjae saw Sooyoung walk up to him.

 

“Why did you bring her here, hyung?” croaked Sungjae.

 

“Because she’s the only person who can talk sense into you now,” said Minhyuk firmly.

 

“Please tell her to leave. I don’t want her to see me in this state,” insisted Sungjae.

 

But Eunkwang and the rest moved away from Sungjae and allowed Sooyoung to move forward. As Sooyoung walked past Eunkwang, Eunkwang said, “Please help me talk some sense into him. You’re the only one he will listen to now in this state.”

 

“I’ll try my best, oppa. Don’t worry,” said Sooyoung reassuringly.

 

Sooyoung walked up to Sungjae, looking into his eyes as she did so. She reached up for his right cheek and caressed it gently.

 

“Peniel-oppa told me Changsub-oppa slapped you. Does it still hurt?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“A little,” replied Sungjae.

 

“Peniel-oppa also told me why Changsub-oppa had to slap you. Why did you do that, oppa?” asked Sooyoung.

 

Sungjae hesitated for a while, before replying, “He cheated on you, Sooyoung-ah. I felt so indignant and angry for you.”

 

“But you shouldn’t have confronted him like that,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“Why are you still shielding him, Sooyoung-ah? He cheated on you! Aren’t you angry at all? Aren’t you sad?” demanded Sungjae.

 

“I am, oppa. I’m angry with Hyunwoo-oppa. I’m sad about what he’s done. But I feel even sadder that you confronted him like that. What if he reports you to his teacher? It’ll hurt me even more if you get into trouble because you stood up for me,” said Sooyoung in a pained voice.

 

Sooyoung’s words wrenched at Sungjae’s heart.

 

She cares for me. She still cares for me.

 

“Please don’t do this again, oppa,” pleaded Sooyoung.

 

“I won’t, Sooyoung-ah. But do you still plan to be with him? Are you going to break up with him?” asked Sungjae.

 

“I already planned to break up with him before this happened, oppa,” mumbled Sooyoung.

 

“Bwoh? Wae?” asked Sungjae in shock.

 

Sooyoung gazed into Sungjae’s eyes.

 

Because of you, oppa. Because of you.

 

“You don’t need to know, oppa. Look, I’ll make things clear with Hyunwoo-oppa soon. But please, don’t make things any more difficult than they already are,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Sooyoung-ah,” began Sungjae.

 

“I need to go, oppa. Class is starting soon,” said Sooyoung, as she the spot and walked off.

 

Sungjae watched her walk off, his heart giving a painful wrench as she did so.

 

 

Three days passed and Sooyoung found herself standing outside Hyunwoo’s house after dinner. She had not received a single message from him since the day he was punched by Sungjae.

 

I’m sure this is all for the best, oppa.

 

She plucked up her courage and reached out to ring the doorbell. Hyunwoo answered the door after a short while. After seeing Sooyoung at the door, Hyunwoo looked at her and said, “What do you want?”

 

Sooyoung looked at Hyunwoo disbelievingly.

 

“Is this how we’re going to end, oppa?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“I’m sure you’ve heard everything from Sungjae already. Yes, I’m seeing someone behind your back. Yes, I think we should break up. Is that enough for you?” asked Hyunwoo mockingly.

 

Sooyoung was rendered speechless. Was this the same Hyunwoo who had tried so hard to win her heart just a few months ago?

 

“Mo…moragu?” asked Sooyoung. “Are you for real, oppa? Why are you doing this, oppa?”

 

“Don’t act innocent with me. You smile at Sungjae and talk about him in a way that I’ve never seen you do with me. Your eyes light up for him in a way that they never do for me. You clearly don’t have feelings for me the way you do for Sungjae,” retorted Hyunwoo.

 

Sooyoung faltered at Hyunwoo’s words. Her mind went blank as Hyunwoo’s words sank in.

 

“Look, you can stand there all you want. I’m busy, so please don’t come disturb me again. We’re over,” said Hyunwoo, before turning and slamming the door.

 

Sooyoung walked off slowly, her mind still a whirl.

 

Am I really free now? But why do I still feel so heavy inside? Wasn’t I keen to break up with him just a while ago? Could I have developed feelings for Hyunwoo-oppa after all?

 

Sooyoung turned things over and over in her head as she walked home. Even though the walk home wasn’t long, it helped clear Sooyoung’s mind.

 

It never was love with Hyunwoo-oppa. All I’m feeling is guilt. Guilt, pity and shame.

 

As Sooyoung stepped into her house, her mother called, “Sooyoung-ah! I cooked your favourite red bean soup! Do you want some?”

 

“Anniyo, eomma. I’m tired. I’ll go shower and sleep,” replied Sooyoung lifelessly.

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter