Chapter 2

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung got up bright and early the next morning, after a good night’s sleep. It surprised her that she didn't even need to rely on her alarm clock that day, considering that she was a heavy sleeper who took a long time to get out of bed every morning.

“Omo, it’s still so early. Just as well, I should start getting ready for school,” said Sooyoung to herself.

Sooyoung went downstairs after washing up and was greeted by her mother.

“Omo, Sooyoung-ah. Is the sun rising from the west today? Why are you up so early?” said Mrs. Park in surprise.

“Wae, eomma? I just happened to wake up earlier today for some reason. I slept really well last night,” replied Sooyoung.

“Wae? Were you very tired last night? Or did something good happen?” asked Mrs. Park.

Sooyoung flushed again as she recalled what happened the evening before. She hated the fact that she blushed so easily when she thought of Sungjae, especially since all he did was to wipe off a grain of rice for her. But try as she might, she realised that she could not control herself.

“A bit of both, eomma,” replied Sooyoung shyly. “So what’s for breakfast?”

“Kimchi fried rice, your favourite!” said Mrs. Park with a smile.

“Wah~! Eomma jjang!” cheered Sooyoung.

“All right, you start eating. I’ll go wake your sisters,” said Mrs. Park.

Sooyoung tucked into her breakfast and had finished by the time her sisters came downstairs for breakfast.

“Eomma, I’m done! I’ll head to school now!” called Sooyoung.

“Arasso! Take care and don’t come back too late!” said Mrs. Park.

“Don’t worry, eomma. Sungjae-oppa will bring her back if she stays out too late,” said Sooyoung’s youngest sister cheekily.

“Yah! Don’t talk nonsense!” said Sooyoung as she swiped her sister’s head. Her sister dodged and stuck out her tongue at Sooyoung.

“Yah, yah. That’s enough. All right, Sooyoung-ah, you should get going,” said Mrs. Park in a firm voice as she walked over to the squabbling sisters.

Sooyoung picked up her bag and headed out of her house. As she walked down the street and turned round the corner, she saw Sungjae waiting at his usual spot for her while scrolling through his handphone.

“Morning, oppa!” called Sooyoung brightly.

“Gamjagya!” said Sungjae in a startled tone, as he looked up from his handphone in surprise. “Yah, Sooyoung-ah, you’re never this early. Did the sun rise from the west today?”

“Yah! Why are you like that to me first thing in the morning, oppa?” complained Sooyoung. “My eomma said the same thing.”

“Haha! That means it’s true! You’re never this early,” laughed Sungjae.

Sooyoung gave a peeved expression and stomped on Sungjae’s foot before striding off with a cheeky smile on her face. Sungjae gave a cry of pain and made him shout, “Yah! Park Sooyoung!”

Sungjae tried to catch up to Sooyoung but couldn’t because of his foot. Sooyoung giggled as she hurried off ahead of him to school.

As Sooyoung reached her classroom and put her things down, she heard someone call her from behind.

“Sooyoung-ah!” called the voice.

Sooyoung turned around to see Hyunwoo standing at the back door of her classroom.

“Yes, oppa? You’re looking for me?” asked Sooyoung.

“Neh. Could you come over for a while?” replied Hyunwoo.

Sooyoung walked over to him in curiosity and asked, “What is it oppa? Must be something urgent for you to come to my classroom before lessons have even started.”

“I need you to meet me during break today,” said Hyunwoo in a flustered tone. “Bomi just texted me saying that she’s down with measles, so she won’t be in school for two weeks. But with the music club having its performance at the upcoming spring festival I’m going to go crazy without anyone handling Bomi’s load. You’ll have to take it up, since you’re her understudy.”

“Bwoh?” exclaimed Sooyoung. “Me? But I’m only a freshman, oppa. How can I possibly take on such a big event?”

“Think of it as a challenge, Sooyoung-ah. I need the help,” coaxed Hyunwoo. “Besides, you won’t be alone. I’ll be around to help you whenever I can. Don’t worry, I know it’s your first time, so I don’t expect you to know everything. But I’m sure what Bomi has told you in the past few weeks should have given you an idea of how to handle these issues.”

“But oppa…” hesitated Sooyoung.

“Have faith in yourself, Sooyoung-ah,” said Hyunwoo in an encouraging tone. “Oh, and one more thing. This will also mean you staying late in the music club room for almost every day for the next two weeks. But since they’re no major exams or projects for these two weeks for freshmen, I think it shouldn’t affect your work too much.”

“A-arassoyo, oppa,” replied Sooyoung in the same hesitant tone.

“Like I said, have faith in yourself, Sooyoung-ah,” smiled Hyunwoo. “I’m sure you’ll do just fine.”

That evening, it was already 8.30pm when Sooyoung stepped out of the music club room. She walked over to where Sungjae was sitting and smiled when she saw that Sungjae had nodded off.

“Oppa~” said Sooyoung softly as she tapped him on the shoulder. “Oppa~!”

Sungjae woke up with a start and stared at Sooyoung with bloodshot eyes for a moment before replying, “Oh! You’re finally done?”

“Oppa, you don’t have to wait for me if it’s too late for you,” said Sooyoung. “It must be really tiring for you to wait till so late.”

“But aren’t you scared

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter