Chapter 5

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oppa!” called Sooyoung, as she saw Hyunwoo limping along the corridor towards his classroom in crutches. “You’re back!”

“Ah, Sooyoung-ah!” Hyunwoo’s face lit up as he saw Sooyoung running over to him. “Yeah, I’m finally back in school. Thanks to your muffins I’ve recovered a lot more quickly than the doctor predicted. I should be able to get off crutches by next week.”

Sooyoung blushed at his compliment about her muffins and looked at her skirt shyly. Hyunwoo saw her embarrassment and smiled to himself.

Aigoo, why does she have to look so cute when she’s embarrassed.

“Sooyoung-ah, you said you felt guilty about causing my injury right?” said Hyunwoo teasingly. “And you wanted to make it up to me?”

“Yes, I do, oppa,” replied Sooyoung.

“Then is it okay if you grant me two wishes?” asked Hyunwoo.

“Of course! But don’t make it too difficult for me, oppa,” said Sooyoung.

“Anniya, it won’t be,” replied Hyunwoo.

“So what do you want me to do, oppa?” asked Sooyoung.

Hyunwoo thought about it for a while before replying, “Well… my first wish is… could you bake me another batch of muffins? Ever since I finished the last one in that box you gave me I’ve been craving for more. I especially liked the red velvet ones. I don’t know how you do it but the way the cream inside it melts over the tongue after I bite into it is amazing.”

“You can host a food show by the way you’re describing the muffins, oppa,” giggled Sooyoung.

“Ahh jinjja? Maybe I will in future,” said Hyunwoo with a laugh.

“All right, I’ll bake you another batch of the muffins. What about your second wish, oppa?” asked Sooyoung.

“I’ll send you a text about it during break,” said Hyunwoo.

“Aaaaeeee, oppa. Why are you being so mysterious about it?” asked Sooyoung.

“Oh good, it looks like my plan to keep you wondering is working,” replied Hyunwoo with a tongue-in-cheek smile.

Sooyoung gave a peeved expression, which made Hyunwoo laugh.

“I think your first class is starting soon. You should head to class quickly before your teacher catches you for being late,” said Hyunwoo.

“Arasso. I’ll bring you the muffins tomorrow, oppa,” said Sooyoung as she walked off to class.

However, unbeknownst to them, Minhyuk, who sat next to the window facing the corridor, had heard almost everything that the two of them had said. Seeing that there was still five minutes left before class started, Minhyuk whipped out his phone and scrolled frantically to the chat he was looking for.

MISSION TO AWAKEN MAKNAE TO HIS FEELINGS

Minhyuk: Yah! Emergency! I just found out that Sooyoung baked Hyunwoo muffins when he was resting at home.

Changsub: Aish~ So what? She was probably just making it up to Hyunwoo.

Minhyuk: But she just agreed to fulfil two wishes for Hyunwoo. He asked her to bake him another batch of muffins and started acting mysterious about his second wish. Something about texting her later during break to tell her what it was.

Hyunsik: Hyung, if you feel uncertain, I’ll ask Seungwan and see what she can find out from Sooyoung.

Minhyuk: I think that’s a good idea.

Peniel: Does Sungjae know about this?

Ilhoon: Isn’t he in the same class as you, Minhyuk-hyung?

Minhyuk: I haven’t seen him. Maybe Sooyoung came earlier to talk to Hyunwoo.

Eunkwang: I think we should wait till we find out what Seungwan has to say before we do anything.

Changsub: I agree.

As the bell for the end of the last class sounded, Sooyoung hurriedly packed her belongings and walked out of class. As she turned at the corner, she bumped into Sungjae.

“Omo! We really need to stop bumping into each other like that, Sooyoung-ah. Where are you off to in such a hurry?” asked Sungjae.

“I’m heading to the supermarket to buy some things I need for baking,” said Sooyoung.

“Baking? Are you trying something new? Be careful not to poison people by asking them to try your baked goodies,” teased Sungjae.

“It’s nothing new, oppa. I’m just baking muffins. And no, I won’t ask you to try even a single one of them,” replied Sooyoung with a peeved expression. “Hyunwoo-oppa asked me to bake him muffins, so I’m going to buy the things I need for baking them.”

“Hyunwoo asked you to bake muffins for him? And you agreed?” said Sungjae in a surprised tone.

“Of course. Why shouldn't I? He got injured because of me, so I should repay him,” said Sooyoung.

“How come you never baked anything for me when I walked you home when you were scared of walking home alone?” asked Sungjae, pretending to be hurt.

“Didn’t you just say my baked goodies will poison people? You should be grateful that I’ve never tried to poison you with my baked goodies,” retorted Sooyoung with a tongue-in-cheek smile.

For once, Sungjae was rendered speechless.

Aish~ Since when did this girl become so good at answering back?

“Yah! Don’t be rude! Don’t forget you’re talking to a sunbae,” rambled Sungjae, as he frantically thought of what to say.

“Arassoyo, sunbae-nim. Now please excuse me, I need to go shopping unless you want to come along?” said Sooyoung with a bow.

“Sure, I’ll go with you. You might struggle with the weight of the flour and other ingredients,” replied Sungjae with a smile.

Sooyoung raised an eyebrow when Sungjae accepted her offer. She had meant it as a sarcastic remark as she was still peeved at Sungjae’s snide comment about her baked goodies. But she accepted his offer for help nonetheless and smiled as they set off for the supermarket together, happy to have Sungjae walking with her again.

However, despite his cheery disposition, Sungjae couldn't help but feel something that he couldn’t quite explain as he walked alongside Sooyoung at the supermarket. This strange feeling of unease crept through him while seeing Sooyoung chattering brightly about the different types of muffins that she was going to bake, wondering which ingredients to buy so that “Hyunwoo-oppa will be even more amazed at their taste this time” and thinking if she should prepare anything else in addition to muffins. Sungjae finally couldn’t take it and spoke up, “Sooyoung-ah, isn’t this a little too much just for making it up to Hyunwoo?”

“Wae, oppa? Do you think it’s too much?” asked Sooyoung in a puzzled tone. “I think this little bit of trouble is nothing compared to what Hyunwoo-oppa had to go through just because he wanted to protect me from injury.”

“Arasso. Anyway, I need to meet Eunkwang-hyung soon, so I can’t carry these home for you,” said Sungjae. “I didn’t know you were going to take this long to buy all your ingredients.”

“Ah, has it been long?” asked Sooyoung, as she looked at her watch. “Omo! You’re right! I might not have enough time to bake them if I don’t hurry! I wonder why I’m so slow today.”

Because you’ve been distracting yourself by going on and on and on and on about Hyunwoo and nothing but Hyunwoo, that’s why!

Sungjae caught himself before his mental tirade continued.

Yah, Yook Sungjae! What’s happening to you? You never used to be like this with Sooyoung!

“I guess maybe it’s because you’ve just ended school, Sooyoung-ah. If you’re too tired to bake the muffins today, you can let Hyunwoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter