Chapter 20

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night, Sungjae lay in bed, almost falling asleep due to his stakeout that morning. Despite that, he reached for his phone and texted Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung-ah, tomorrow’s Saturday. Shall we go to the park together?

 

Sungjae waited for a while before Sooyoung replied.

 

SY: That sounds great, oppa. How about after that we go see if we can visit So Hyun and her grandmother?

 

SJ: Sure! I want to play with So Hyun too. She’s so cute, isn’t she?

 

SY: So she’s cuter than me?

 

Sungjae let out a loud laugh after reading her reply.

 

SJ: Yah, you’re jealous of a 5-year-old girl?

 

SY: Of course not! I just can’t stand it when my boyfriend thinks someone else is cuter than me.

 

SJ: That’s jealousy, Sooyoung-ah. ^_^

 

SY: Whatever. So am I cuter than her?

 

SJ: Of course you are. Especially now.

 

SY: Now?

 

SJ: Yeah, now. When you think that I could possibly think that someone else could be cuter than you.

 

SY: You’re so cheesy!

 

SJ: And you love it when I’m cheesy.

 

SY: Sigh, I do.

 

SJ: Go to bed, Sooyoung-ah. It’s going to be a long day tomorrow. Shall we have breakfast together?

 

SY: Of course! What time shall we meet?

 

SJ: Don’t worry about that, Sooyoung-ah. I’ll see you when I see you.

 

SY: Arasso. You turn in early too, oppa. See you tomorrow. Goodnight!

 

SJ: Saranghae, Sooyoung-ah.

 

SY: Saranghae, oppa.

 

Sungjae put his phone down and eventually drifted off to sleep smiling like an idiot that night.

 

 

Sooyoung woke up early the next day, despite it being a Saturday. After she washed up, Sooyoung spent 20 minutes in front of her wardrobe trying to decide what to wear. Eventually, she picked a simple blouse and skirt and matched them with a necklace that she bought a few weeks back and headed downstairs. Her mother gave a start of surprise when she saw Sooyoung.

 

“Omo! Sooyoung-ah! Why are you up so early? It’s Saturday!” exclaimed her mother.

 

“I’m meeting someone today, eomma,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“Is it Sungjae?” asked her mother with a twinkle in her eye.

 

“Eomma~~” whined Sooyoung.

 

“Wae? You didn't tell me upfront but who doesn't know that you’re dating him? And it’s not difficult to guess that you’re meeting him, given that he’s been waiting outside our main door for the past half an hour,” replied her mother with a sly smile.

 

“Bwoh?! Oppa’s been waiting there for half an hour?” asked Sooyoung in shock.

 

“Yeah, he has. I even told him to go home and wait because my sleepyhead daughter won’t wake up that early,” said her mother.

 

“Eomma!” pouted Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung’s mother laughed and walked back to the kitchen. Sooyoung unconsciously ran her fingers through her hair and walked to the front door. As she opened it, she saw Sungjae leaning against the wall in front of her house. He looked up as she opened the door and smiled at her.

 

“Good morning, Sooyoung-ah,” smiled Sungjae.

 

“Good morning, oppa!” replied Sooyoung with a bright smile, as she ran over to him. His slightly tousled hair and sleepy eyes added to his good looks and made Sooyoung’s heart flutter a little when he smiled at her.

 

“Let’s go, Sooyoung-ah,” said Sungjae, as he laced his fingers through hers.

 

Sungjae and Sooyoung walked down the street, though Sooyoung had no idea where they were going. Sooyoung let go of Sungjae’s hand eventually but linked her arm through his elbow.

 

“You really like being this close to me, don’t you, Sooyoung?” asked Sungjae, as he felt Sooyoung linking her arm through his.

 

“Of course, oppa. And it’s been so long since we went out together. I miss walking along like that with you,” replied Sooyoung.

 

“I think that’s not the main point now. I think we need to focus on getting to our destination, so that our Sooyoung’s stomach doesn’t grumble too loudly,” teased Sungjae.

 

“Yah, Yook Sungjae!” shouted Sooyoung, as she smacked him on his arm.

 

Sungjae gave a loud laugh and said, “There’s our breakfast!”

 

Sungjae pointed to the new café that had opened a few streets away from his house. “I’ve been wanting to try out the food at this place for some time but haven’t had the chance. But today’s the day!”

 

The pair walked into the café and placed their order before sitting down. The waiter came with their orders shortly and they tucked in hungrily.

 

“Are you in a hurry, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Sungjae.

 

“Anni, why do you ask that, oppa?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“You’re eating like you haven’t eaten in weeks,” teased Sungjae, which earned him another smack on the head.

 

“Oppa! I’m just hungry cuz I usually have my breakfast much earlier. Besides, I want to go visit So Hyun quickly. I haven’t seen her for some time,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Arasso. But it certainly looks like you’re enjoying your food!” said Sungjae, as he watched Sooyoung tuck into her kimchi fried rice with an amused expression.

 

As they finished their breakfast, the waiter handed a promotion voucher to them.

 

“Hi, as we’ve just opened, we’re having a promotion for couples who dine here. If you take an instant photo of yourselves in our café and allow us to hang it up on our wall, you’ll get a 15% discount on your bill,” said the waiter with a smile. “Would you like to do so?”

 

“Of course!” replied Sooyoung and Sungjae in unison.

 

“All right. Could each of you raise an arm and form a heart shape above yourselves for the photo?” asked the waiter, as he raised the instant camera in his hands.

 

Sungjae and Sooyoung followed suit and smiled, as the camera gave a loud click and the instant photo was pushed out of the camera. The waiter took it out and flicked it in the air a few times before handing it to Sungjae. After it was developed, Sooyoung took out her phone and snapped a snapshot of it, before handing it back to the waiter.

 

“Thank you, here is your bill. Have a nice day!” said the waiter.

 

Sungjae paid for their breakfast and they headed out of the café and towards the park. As they walked, Sungjae saw Sooyoung fiddling with something on her phone.

 

“What are you doing, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Sungjae.

 

Sooyoung did not reply and continued to fiddle with her phone for a few more seconds before showing the screen to Sungjae. Sungjae saw that she had set her handphone lock screen to the photo that they took in the café. Sungjae smiled and grabbed Sooyoung’s hand.

 

“How can you look so pretty, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Sungjae.

 

“I’m pretty?” asked Sooyoung with her eye smile.

 

“Of course! Prettier than the flowers that have bloomed. I’m sure they’re going to return to their buds after looking at you,” replied Sungjae.

 

Sooyoung blushed and linked her arm through Sungjae’s. She leant o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter