Chapter 11

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung gave a start at Seungwan’s question.

 

“Why are you asking that, unnie?” asked Sooyoung.

 

Before Seungwan could reply, Sooyoung’s phone beeped. Sooyoung took a look at it and placed it back on her bed.

 

“Who is it from?” asked Seungwan.

 

“It’s not important, unnie,” replied Sooyoung shiftily.

 

Seungwan didn’t quite believe Sooyoung but decided to let it slide.

 

“You haven’t answered my question, Sooyoung-ah,” insisted Seungwan.

 

“You sound like Joohyun-unnie tonight, unnie,” said Sooyoung, trying to lighten the atmosphere. But she realised she was going nowhere when Seungwan kept looking at her intently.

 

“I do like Hyunwoo-oppa, unnie. Being with him makes me happy and safe,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Jinjja?” asked Seungwan.

 

“Why don’t you believe me, unnie?” asked Sooyoung. “Do I look very sad to you?”

 

“Because when you talk to me about Hyunwoo-oppa, you smile and look happy. But when you talk about Sungjae, your eyes light up and you jabber about him endlessly until the topic ends. When the topic does end and we start a new topic, you somehow manage to link it back to Sungjae. I’ve never seen you talk so excitedly about Hyunwoo before, despite the fact that it’s been almost a month since you two started dating. The honeymoon period doesn’t fade away that quickly, Sooyoung-ah. In fact, I think you looked happier on days when Sungjae walked you to school and back home than you do with Hyunwoo-oppa nowadays. Are you sure you’re happy with Hyunwoo-oppa?” ranted Seungwan.

 

“But don’t all couples need to warm up a little before they become really close?” asked Sooyoung hesitantly. “Didn’t you and Hyunsik-oppa take time as well?”

 

Seungwan felt frustrated at Sooyoung’s resistance and thought hard on how to prove her point with Sooyoung.

 

“Close your eyes, Sooyoung-ah,” instructed Seungwan.

 

“Is it time for bed?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Anni~! Don’t you dare fall asleep! This is very important,” warned Seungwan.

 

“You’re really sounding like Joohyun-unnie tonight, unnie,” teased Sooyoung.

 

“Aish~ Palli! Close your eyes!” repeated Seungwan.

 

Sooyoung closed her eyes obediently and waited.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, I want you to follow my instructions with your eyes closed. You can respond by nodding or shaking your head, if necessary. Don’t open them until I tell you to,” instructed Seungwan.

 

Sooyoung nodded.

 

Seungwan peered closely at Sooyoung to make sure her eyes were fully closed before she started. “Do you remember the first time you met Hyunwoo-oppa?”

 

Sooyoung nodded.

 

“Think back on that time. Then think back on when you first worked with him. Think about the first time he walked you home when you worked late for the music club. Think back on the time he saved you from the falling chairs and ended up with a broken ankle. Think back on the first time you cried for him. Think back on the time you first baked him muffins and he said he liked them. Think back on the time you two first went out for a meal together,” said Seungwan.

 

Seungwan watched Sooyoung closely and gave Sooyoung some time to finish recalling all the memories she shared with Hyunwoo.

 

“Are you done?” asked Seungwan after a while.

 

Sooyoung nodded with her eyes closed.

 

“Now, Sooyoung-ah, I want you to think about Sungjae. Think back on the first time you met Sungjae. The first time you said hi to him. The first time you found out he lived down the street from you. The first time you found out he was willing to walk you home. The first time he did walk you home. The first time he walked you to school. The first time you had a meal with him. The first time he teased you. The first time you hit him. The first time you cried for him. The time when Sungjae was in hospital. The time when you held him in your arms just before he passed out,” said Seungwan.

 

Seungwan continued to watch Sooyoung closely and remained silent after she finished what she wanted to say.

 

“You can open your eyes once you’re done, Sooyoung-ah,” said Seungwan.

 

Sooyoung opened her eyes and looked at Seungwan.

 

“Why did you want me to do that, unnie?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“It’s not the end yet. Now it’s time to look at this,” said Seungwan, as she showed Sooyoung the video camera she was hiding behind her back.

 

“What is this, unnie?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“I recorded you thinking about them,” said Seungwan.

 

“Why would you do that, unnie?” protested Sooyoung.

 

“Calm down. Now I want you to look closely at the recording,” instructed Seungwan.

 

Seungwan sat next to Sooyoung and pressed the Play button.

 

Do you remember the first time you met Hyunwoo-oppa? Think back on that time. Then think back on when you first worked with him. Think about the first time he walked you home when you worked late for the music club. Think back on the time he saved you from the falling chairs and ended up with a broken ankle. Think back on the first time you cried for him. Think back on the time you first baked him muffins and he said he liked them. Think back on the time you two first went out for a meal together.

 

Sooyoung saw herself smile a little, before looking sad and finally easing into a neutral expression.

 

Now, Sooyoung-ah, I want you to think about Sungjae. Think back on the first time you met Sungjae. The first time you said hi to him. The first time you found out he lived down the street from you. The first time you found out he was willing to walk you home. The first time he did walk you home. The first time he walked you to school. The first time you had a meal with him. The first time he teased you. The first time you hit him. The first time you cried for him. The time when Sungjae was in hospital. The time when you held him in your arms just before he passed out.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter