Chapter 33

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The bus moved off after Sungjae had been forcefully removed from the bus. Sooyoung sat next to So Hyun’s grandmother and leant on her shoulder.

 

“Wae, halmonni? Even in the afterlife, I’m crying over Sungjae-oppa. What did we ever do to deserve treatment like this?” asked Sooyoung, as she cried into So Hyun’s grandmother’s shoulder.

 

So Hyun’s grandmother extended an arm and patted Sooyoung comfortingly.

 

“Aigoo, aegi-ah. You didn't do anything wrong. Life isn’t always fair. But for what it’s worth, my dear Sooyoung, you can move on knowing that that silly boy loved you with all his heart. So much so that he was willing to give you his life,” said So Hyun’s grandmother.

 

“I’m so glad he didn't succeed in the end, halmonni. I’m sure he’ll be able to move on eventually. I sometimes wish I had never come into his life. If our time together was only supposed to be this short, maybe it would have been better if we had just never met. That would have saved the both of us a lot of pain,” said Sooyoung.

 

So Hyun’s grandmother raised an eyebrow before replying, “Do you really mean that, Sooyoung-ah? While your story with Sungjae did not have a happy ending, do you honestly think the both of you would have been happier if you had not known each other? I think that’s one regret you should never have, Sooyoung-ah! Don't feel sorry for the outcome! Feel happy that you and Sungjae managed to get together, even though it was only for a short period of time! That is an infinitely precious memory that you can hold on to; something that not even death can take away from you!”

 

Just as So Hyun’s grandmother finished her rant, the blank ticket in Sooyoung’s pocket suddenly flew out of her pocket and landed in her palm. To their astonishment, they saw a number ‘15’ appear on the ticket.

 

“Wh…what’s happening, halmonni? W-why is a number appearing on my ticket?” asked Sooyoung nervously.

 

“That’s good news, Sooyoung-ah!” exclaimed So Hyun’s grandmother. “That means you’re not following this bus to the terminal! You’re getting off at bus stop 15!”

 

“Bwoh?! But… but aren’t I supposed to be dead? Did Sungjae-oppa manage to give me his heart after all? Shiroyo, halmonni! I’m the one who is supposed to die, not Sungjae-oppa!” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Anniya, Sooyoung-ah. Don't worry! If Sungjae really had succeeded in giving you his heart, he wouldn't have been forced to alight just now,” explained So Hyun’s grandmother. “Something’s happened that’s allowing you to alight from this bus at bus stop 15! Seize the chance, Sooyoung-ah! Remember, if you get a second chance, tell Sungjae that you two must cherish this second chance for life! I shall be watching!”

 

Bus stop 15 loomed ahead of them, as Sooyoung’s palm closed over her ticket. She wrapped her arms around So Hyun’s grandmother and gave her a tight hug.

 

“Gomawo, halmonni,” said Sooyoung gratefully. “I promise I’ll never leave Sungjae-oppa again if I really do have a second chance with him. Please watch over us as you always have been.”

 

“Of course, aegi-ah,” replied So Hyun’s grandmother, as she patted Sooyoung’s back comfortingly. “I’ve long since regarded the two of you as my own grandchildren. Just remember to treasure each other if you do get a second chance at the relationship.”

 

The bus rumbled to a stop and the exit doors opened. Sooyoung stood up and smiled at So Hyun’s grandmother.

 

“I’ll get going, halmonni. Gomawoyo,” said Sooyoung with a deep bow.

 

So Hyun’s grandmother smiled at her as she stepped off the bus. As soon as Sooyoung stepped off the bus, the doors slammed shut and the bus moved off.

 

 

FLASHBACK

 

Hyunwoo ran back to the waiting area in front of the operating theatre after checking Sungjae’s condition with the counter staff, where everyone was waiting. Minhyuk and Eunkwang stood up as Hyunwoo ran up to them.

 

“How is he, Hyunwoo-ah? Has he successfully knocked himself out?” asked Eunkwang anxiously.

 

“Yes he has, Eunkwang-hyung. I’ve also collected the organ donation papers from them,” replied Hyunwoo, as he handed them to Minhyuk.

 

Minhyuk took the papers and tore them into small pieces before flinging them into the bin next to them and turning back to the other two boys.

 

“How is she?” asked Hyunwoo.

 

“One of the nurses came out to tell us that Sooyoung has a very low chance of survival,” replied Eunkwang grimly. “Her heart has already stopped twice, though they managed to revive it successfully so far.”

 

Next to them, Moonbyul and Seungwan both burst into tears simultaneously. Minhyuk and Hyunsik went over to the girls and put their arms over the girls’ shoulders to comfort them.

 

“Why can’t they just have a happy ending, oppa?” asked Moonbyul between sobs. “Sooyoung loves him so much but all she’s going to be able to do is watch over him from above.”

 

Tears welled up in Minhyuk’s eyes, but he pulled Moonbyul closer to him and hugged her tightly.

 

“I know, Byul-ah. I know,” said Minhyuk comfortingly.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

Sungjae continued to cling to Sooyoung’s arm as he cried. So blurred was his vision that he failed to notice Sooyoung’s fingers give a slight twitch. Sooyoung stirred a little in her resting position after a while and this finally caught Sungjae’s attention.

 

“Sooyoung-ah?” said Sungjae hesitantly.

 

Sooyoung’s eyelids flickered and Sooyoung opened her eyes with some difficulty.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter