Chapter 37

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I hope Sooyoung’s tending to Sungjae now,” said Seungwan.

 

“Aish, kwenchana. Stop worrying about them. I’m sure they know how to care for each other,” said Joohyun, as they finished up the preparation for their project.

 

But just as they stepped out of the classroom, they saw Sooyoung running towards them. Seungwan and Joohyun were shocked that Sooyoung appeared to be crying.

 

“What’s wrong, Sooyoung-ah? Why are you crying?” asked Joohyun.

 

“Nothing happened, unnie,” mumbled Sooyoung.

 

“Why are you crying, Sooyoung-ah? You were fine when you went to look for Sungjae. Did something happen?” asked Seungwan.

 

At the mention of Sungjae’s name, Sooyoung’s eyes filled with fresh tears and she leant into Seungwan’s shoulder to cry. Seungwan put her arm around Sooyoung and patted her back. Fire flashed in Joohyun’s eyes as she watched Sooyoung break down.

 

“Seungwan-ah, I think you should bring Sooyoung home first. I don't think she’s in any state to talk now. Lessons are over for the day anyway,” instructed Joohyun.

 

Seungwan nodded and helped Sooyoung stand up. Joohyun packed up Sooyoung’s belongings and handed them to Seungwan. Fortunately, Seungwan had brought her big umbrella with her that was large enough for two people. Just as Seungwan and Sooyoung reached the school gate, Sungjae came running up to the classroom.

 

“Joohyun-noona, did you see Sooyoung?” asked Sungjae panickedly.

 

“She just left with Seungwan,” replied Joohyun coldly. “Is something the matter?”

 

“Nothing, it’s fine. Thanks for letting me know,” replied Sungjae hurriedly, before turning to leave.

 

Sungjae was surprised to feel a hand grip his wrist sharply as he turned. Sungjae turned back to see Joohyun’s eyes dripping with venom, as she glared at Sungjae.

 

“I don't know what happened between you two but I know only you are capable of making Sooyoung cry like that nowadays,” said Joohyun in her coldest voice, sending shivers down Sungjae’s spine.

 

“Anniya, noona. You’re mistaken. Chaebal, I need to go find Sooyoung-ie,” said Sungjae in an attempt to placate Joohyun.

 

However, Joohyun maintained her vice-like grip on his wrist and said, “I don't think so, Yook Sungjae. By the looks of it, Sooyoung would be better off not seeing you at least for the rest of today.”

 

“Noona!” called a voice from the end of the corridor.

 

The pair turned towards the sound of the voice and they saw Ilhoon walking towards them.

 

“What’s going on here, Sungjae? Why is Joohyun-noona gripping your arm like this? Did you do something wrong?” asked Ilhoon.

 

Joohyun’s expression softened a little when she saw Ilhoon approach. After Sooyoung, Seungwan and Seulgi, Ilhoon was the one she nursed a soft spot for. She let go of Sungjae’s wrist and said, “Anniya, Ilhoon-ah.”

 

As soon as Sungjae felt Joohyun’s grip loosen around his wrist, he bolted from the classroom and ran straight towards the front gate of the school. He didn't care about Joohyun’s warning or that his bag was still in the room with Eunji. All he knew was that he had to explain everything to Sooyoung.

 

The rain beat down on Sungjae mercilessly, as he ran with all his might to Sooyoung’s house. Within a minute, Sungjae was soaked to the skin and he nearly slipped on the wet pathways many times. None of these things slowed him down and he reached Sooyoung’s house in a matter of minutes. Sungjae rang the doorbell and struggled to catch his breath.

 

Inside, Sooyoung was sitting with Seungwan in her room. Both of them heard the doorbell ring, which made Seungwan get up from her seat. Seungwan went to the window and saw Sungjae waiting outside the door.

 

“It’s Sungjae,” said Seungwan.

 

“Don't let him please, unnie. I don't think I can face him today after what I just saw,” insisted Sooyoung.

 

“But don't you think you should let him explain, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Seungwan.

 

“Shiro! I can’t think with a straight mind if I see him today, unnie. Chaebal!” pleaded Sooyoung.

 

Seungwan sighed and nodded resignedly.

 

When nobody opened the door, Sungjae continued to ring the bell relentlessly, as the rain turned into a downpour and continued to rain down on Sungjae mercilessly.

 

“Sooyoung-ah! Please open the door! Chaebal!” begged Sungjae. “I can explain!”

 

Sooyoung’s heart softened on a few occasions and nearly got up to open the door. But whenever she felt this way, the image of Eunji kissing Sungjae would flash through her mind again and cause her heart to harden with anger, bitterness and sadness.

 

“What exactly happened just now, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Seungwan.

 

Sooyoung looked at Seungwan, took a deep breath and related everything she just saw. Seungwan’s expression turned from one of solemnness to one of shock. Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter