Chapter 34

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungjae and Sooyoung sat on a bench in the hospital’s garden. Sooyoung laid her head on Sungjae’s shoulder as she slept. Sungjae reached over to put an arm over Sooyoung’s shoulder and pulled her closer to him, so that she slept in a more comfortable position. As Sungjae watched Sooyoung’s slow and steady breathing, a wave of gratitude washed over him, and he smiled at the fact that Sooyoung was sitting next to him.

 

We made it together, Sooyoung-ah. We’ve been foolish in our own ways but we’re finally together.

 

Minhyuk and Moonbyul stood at the entrance of the garden and looked at the pair sitting on the bench. Minhyuk laced his fingers through Moonbyul’s and held her hand in a tight grip.

 

“You can finally rest well, Byul-ah. I think those two won’t give us anything to worry about any time soon,” commented Minhyuk.

 

Moonbyul smiled and let go of Minhyuk’s hand to hook her arm through his. She leant on his shoulder and said, “You have no idea how relieved I am, oppa. Sooyoung’s been such an angel that I feel that it’s been so unfair that she has had to go through so much. I missed her smiling like that.”

 

“Now you can finally focus on yourself and on us for a while. Gomawo, Byul-ah,” said Minhyuk with his trademark smile.

 

Moonbyul looked over at him and smiled.

 

FLASHBACK

 

“Oppa, I…” said Moonbyul.

 

Minyuk stared at her with beseeching eyes.

 

“I would love to accept your feelings, oppa,” said Moonbyul shyly.

 

“YES! WOOHOO!” shouted Minhyuk in celebratory cheer.

 

A nurse came running into the ward shortly after Minhyuk’s cheer and asked panickedly, “What’s wrong? Did something happen?”

 

“Ah… Mianhe, I was too excited,” apologised Minhyuk sheepishly.

 

“Please control yourself, sir. This is a hospital,” chided the nurse, before walking out of the ward.

 

Everyone laughed as Minhyuk gave an embarrassed look. After the nurse left, Moonbyul was surprised by Minhyuk as he turned to hug her tightly.

 

“Gomawo, Byul-ah. Saranghae,” said Minhyuk.

 

“Oppa! Let go of me! Everyone’s watching!” protested Moonbyul.

 

“So let them watch! I want the whole world to know that you belong to me now!” declared Minhyuk.

 

Moonbyul turned a deeper shade of scarlet at Minhyuk’s words, as everyone else in the ward laughed.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

 

Sooyoung was discharged from the hospital two weeks later, after the doctor was satisfied that the transplanted heart was indeed working well for her and was not causing any complications.

 

“Come on, oppa! Let’s go!” said Sooyoung excitedly.

 

“Oei, oei… calm down!” said Sungjae worriedly. “You’ve only just been discharged. Don't overexcite yourself!”

 

“Kwenchana, oppa! I haven’t seen the outside world for so long!” exclaimed Sooyoung. “Oh, it feels so good to breathe the fresh air outside the hospital!”

 

Sungjae couldn't help but smile at Sooyoung’s reaction. “Arasso, aegi-ah. But for heaven’s sake, calm down so that we can walk like normal people,” said Sungjae.

 

“Arasso, oppa. Now, where shall we go first?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“I know we’ve been there thousands of times, but I feel like going to the café where we took the polaroid shot,” said Sungjae.

 

“Oh? Why do you suddenly want to go there, oppa?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“You’ll see when we get there,” said Sungjae with a smile.

 

The pair reached the café after twenty minutes and the waiter smiled as he recognised them and showed them to a table that had greater privacy.

 

“May I take your order?” asked the waiter.

 

“I’d like an iced Americano please,” said Sungjae.

 

“I want an iced latte please,” said Sooyoung.

 

The waiter smiled and walked back to the counter to place their order. As the waiter walked off, Sooyoung looked at Sungjae and asked, “Neh, oppa, why did you want to come here?”

 

“I wanted to be with you in a quiet place. I know the hospital was quiet too but you always had visitors and doctors checking on your condition,” said Sungjae. “I just want to spend some quality time with you here.”

 

Sungjae reached into his pocket and pulled out the rings that So Hyun’s grandmother had given them. He reache

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter