Chapter 28

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Bwoh?! What did you say?” asked Moonbyul disbelievingly.

 

“I think I should break up with him, Byul-ah,” repeated Sooyoung.

 

“Just because you’re not sure how he’s going to take it if you don’t make it through doesn't mean you should break up with him, Sooyoung-ah. You’ve been through so much with Sungjae-oppa. Do you really want it to end this way?” chided Moonbyul.

 

“It’s precisely because I know how much we’ve been through together and how Sungjae-oppa is like that I’m thinking about this. There’s no telling what he’ll do to himself if I really don't make it. I’m scared, Byul-ah,” said Sooyoung, as her eyes glistened with tears.

 

“Why do you keep sounding like you know you’re going to die, Sooyoung-ah? There’s still time! There’s still hope!” ranted Moonbyul.

 

“But I cannot wait till that ray of hope flickers and dies before I do something about Sungjae-oppa, Byul-ah. It’ll be fine, Byul-ah. Sungjae-oppa will feel hurt but at least it’ll be shortlived,” replied Sooyoung with an air of finality.

 

Moonbyul could do nothing but to look helplessly at Sooyoung.

 

 

The following Friday in school, Sungjae received a text message from Sooyoung between lessons.

 

Sooyoung: Oppa, I want to go out tomorrow. I know I’m not supposed to do vigorous activities but I’m going to be driven mad if all I do is go to school and head home to rest.

 

Sungjae raised an eyebrow when he saw the message and replied.

 

Sungjae: Yah, you can’t risk it, Sooyoung-ah. You really need to rest. What if you get a relapse if you go out?

 

Sooyoung: Aish~! Fine, if you don't want to go out with me, I’ll find someone else to go with me then. Pabo!

 

Sungjae’s eyes widened at Sooyoung’s reply. It wasn’t in Sooyoung’s nature to throw a tantrum like this.

 

Yah, is she out of her mind? Why is she suddenly behaving like that?

 

Sungjae replied quickly, hoping that she would calm down.

 

Sungjae: Arasso, arasso. I’ll accompany you out tomorrow.

 

Sooyoung: Yay!

 

Sungjae: Where do you want to go?

 

Sooyoung: I’ve got it all planned! Just meet me outside my house at 9am tomorrow!

 

Sungjae smiled to himself as the teacher walked in for the next class.

 

 

Sungjae arrived bright and early the next morning in front of Sooyoung’s house, wearing a bright red polo T-shirt with slim fit navy jeans. Red was Sooyoung’s favourite colour and he wanted Sooyoung to be in the highest spirits since they rarely went out together now, due to Sooyoung’s condition. Sungjae rang the bell and Sooyoung appeared at the front door holding her bag and a container in another small carrier.

 

“What’s this, Sooyoung-ah?”  asked Sungjae.

 

“These are my special red velvet muffins. I baked them for you yesterday,” replied Sooyoung with a twinkle in her eye, as she opened the container.

 

“Wah, they look delicious!” exclaimed Sungjae.

 

“You can try one now, oppa. I heated them for a short while in the microwave just now, so they should be nice and warm,” said Sooyoung, smiling at Sungjae’s reaction.

 

The warm taste of cream and muffin spread over Sungjae’s tongue as he bit into one. Sungjae’s face automatically split into a big smile as he savoured it.

 

“Yah, Sooyoung-ah. This is amazing! You should bake for me more often. That should take up your time when you’re resting,” said Sungjae.

 

Sooyoung’s smiled flickered for a moment but thankfully, it went unnoticed by Sungjae who was still enjoying his muffin. Sooyoung hitched it back on immediately and replied, “Of course, oppa. I’ll bake for you more often from now on.”

 

After Sungjae finished his muffin, he closed the container carefully and placed it back in the carrier.

 

“So where are we going today?” asked Sungjae.

 

“Do you want me to hold on to those muffins instead, oppa?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Andwae! You baked these for me and I want to keep them with me. You might eat them if you hold them,” teased Sungjae.

 

“Aish~!” replied Sooyoung in a huff, as she smacked Sungjae on the head. “You haven’t changed a bit, oppa!”

 

“Arasso. So where are we going today?” asked Sungjae with a huge grin.

 

“I want to go to the sauna today, oppa. I think we haven’t been there together before and I think it’s going to be the perfect relaxing activity for us,” said Sooyoung.

 

“That’s sounds great!” said Sungjae. “Kaja!”

 

The Bbyu couple reached the sauna half an hour later and got changed into the outfits provided by the sauna. Sooyoung linked her arm tightly through Sungjae’s arm as they headed towards the salt kiln. They sat down on the clothed floor and leant against the wall.

 

“Do you want to make sheep heads with our towels, oppa?” asked Sungjae.

 

“I don't know how,” said Sooyoung sheepishly.

 

“I’ll show you,” replied Sungjae.

 

Sungjae took his towel and showed Sooyoung how to fold it into a sheep’s head. Sooyoung mimicked his procedure but the horns on her sheep’s head kept falling apart. Sungjae laughed and said, “Aigoo Sooyoung-ah, why are you so bad at this? Here, I’ll do it for you.”

 

Sungjae took the towel from Sooyoung and folded it neatly for her. Sooyoung then sat up, as Sungjae placed the sheep’s head carefully on her head. Sooyoung looked deep into his eyes as he did so and recalled the time she first met Sungjae and the time she finally knew about Sungjae’s feelings for her. Sungjae’s scent floated up her nose and made her feel a little heady.

 

“There we go, all done!” said Sungjae, stirring Sooyoung out of her trance.

 

Sungjae smiled and turned his back towards her, before lying on her lap. His sheep’s head fell off

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter