Chapter 26

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The following day in school, Sungjae walked into class with a slightly dazed expression. Hyunwoo noticed his expression and walked over with an air of concern.

 

“Kwenchana, Sungjae-ah?” asked Hyunwoo.

 

“Oh, kwenchana, Hyunwoo-ah. Thanks for asking,” replied Sungjae slightly dazedly.

 

“Why do you look so dazed?” asked Hyunwoo.

 

“I slept late last night and Sooyoung didn't return my calls or messages this morning when I waited for her outside her house to walk to school together,” replied Sungjae.

 

“Jinjja? Is she sick? Yah, Yook Sungjae! Have you been ill-treating her?” asked Hyunwoo.

 

“Bwoh yah? Don't talk nonsense, Hyunwoo-ah. You know I would never do that. I a lot but you should know she means the world to me,” replied Sungjae.

 

“Then that’s odd. She’s never like that,” said Hyunwoo, half to himself.

 

“I know right. I was intending to talk to her unnies later on during break,” replied Sungjae.

 

The morning lessons passed less quickly than Sungjae would have liked, as he was anxious about what could have happened to Sooyoung. However, the lessons still passed reasonably quickly for him, as he spent most of it sleeping, due to his lack of sleep last night.

 

The bell for lunch went before he knew it, which jerked him awake. Sungjae jumped out of his seat and headed towards Joohyun’s classroom. Once outside, he saw that the class had also just gone for lunch but Joohyun was still at her seat, taking her purse out of her bag.

 

“Joohyun-noona!” called Sungjae.

 

Joohyun looked up in surprise and walked out of the classroom.

 

“Are you looking for me, Sungjae?” asked Joohyun.

 

“Yes, I was,” replied Sungjae. “Did Sooyoung tell you why she didn't come to school today?”

 

“Sooyoung’s not in school today?” asked Joohyun in surprise. “I don't always get to see her before lunch and even then, she usually eats with you. I thought you would know better than I do, Sungjae-ssi.”

 

“Oh, I see. I’m sorry for bothering you then,” replied Sungjae apologetically.

 

“I’m sure you’ve already tried calling and texting you. Hasn’t she replied to any of them?” asked Joohyun.

 

“Not at all. What else can I do? I keep telling myself not to be worried and that she probably just woke up late because she’s not feeling well today due to a cold or something but I’m still anxious,” replied Sungjae.

 

“Don't worry too much, Sungjae-ssi. Tell you what, why don't you ask Moonbyul-ssi? Sooyoung has been hanging out with Moonbyul-ssi more often than she has with us recently, so she might know something that we don't,” suggested Joohyun.

 

“Oh yeah! Why didn't I think of that? I’ll head to her classroom now,” said Sungjae.

 

Sungjae walked quickly over to Sooyoung’s classroom to look for Moonbyul, hoping that she would have returned from lunch. But as he looked into Sooyoung’s classroom, he saw that Moonbyul’s seat was empty. There were no belongings on her table that were usually present if a student were present for that day. Sungjae gave a puzzled expression and walked off.

 

Did they both decide to skip school today?

 

Sungjae walked back to his classroom and saw Minhyuk and Eunkwang standing outside his classroom.

 

“Ah Sungjae-ah! We were just looking for you!” called Minhyuk. “We were waiting for you for lunch. Where were you?”

 

“I’ve been trying to look for Sooyoung but I think she’s not in school today,” replied Sungjae. “I think Moonbyul’s not in school today too. Have you seen her, hyung?”

 

“Anni. Why would I have seen her?” asked Minhyuk.

 

“Well, since you two went on a date together, I thought maybe you two might have exchanged phone numbers or something,” replied Sungjae.

 

Sungjae had to dodge quickly as Minhyuk lunged out at him.

 

“Yah! Stop bringing that up! Just because we went out together due to you and Sooyoung setting us up doesn't mean anything!” protested Minhyuk. “And besides, I already had her number before that day.”

 

“Arasso, hyung. No need to get violent,” replied Sungjae. “I’m just worried because Sooyoung didn't take any of my calls or reply to any of my messages.”

 

“Jinjja?” asked Eunkwang. “That doesn't sound like her at all.”

 

“I know right. That’s why I’m feeling worried,” replied Sungjae.

 

“Why don't you go to her house to see if she’s at home after school? Want us to come with you?” offered Minhyuk.

 

“Anni. I’ll manage. But thanks for offering, hyung,” replied Sungjae.

 

“Uri maknae doesn't want you probing your nose into his affairs with Sooyoung, Minhyuk-ah,” teased Eunkwang.

 

“Yah! Did you two agree to gang up on me today or something?” protested Minhyuk, as he proceeded to tickle Eunkwang, making Eunkwang scream with laughter and run into his classroom.

 

Sungjae could only shake his head at his hyungs in amusement and walk back to his classroom.

 

 

Sungjae walked over to Sooyoung’s house after school in a hurried step, still unable to shake off that feeling of worry. After he reached Sooyoung’s house, he rang the doorbell and waited anxiously. When nobody came to answer the door after some time, he rang again. Finally, the door opened and Sooyoung’s mother opened the door.

 

“Ah, Sungjae-ah. I’m sorry for answering the door so slowly,” said Sooyoung’s mother apologetically.

 

“Kwenchanayo, eommoni. Is Sooyoung at home? She didn't reply to any of my messages or take my calls yesterday. She wasn't in school today either. I’m very worried, eommoni,” said Sungjae.

 

“Sooyoung woke up feeling terrible this morning, so she didn't go to school. I thought she would have informed you beforehand but it looks like she didn't,” explained Sooyoung’s mother.

 

“May I come in, eommoni?” asked Sungjae.

 

“Of course, dear. She was still sleeping the last time I checked her room, so try not to wake her if she’s still sleeping,” replied Sooyoung’s mother with a smile.

 

Sungjae bowed and stepped into the house, before heading for the stairs and walking up to Sooyoung’s room. The door to Sooyoung’s room was ajar and Sungjae pushed it gently to reveal Sooyoung’s sleeping form. Sungjae smiled a little and pulled up a chair to sit next to Sooyoung. He looked at her peaceful sleeping form and reached out his hand to her hair gently. Suddenly, something caught his eye that made him frown a little. Sungjae saw that Sooyoung’s eyes looked a little swollen, even when they were closed.

 

Has she been crying? What happened, Sooyoung-ah? You’re making me worry so much, even when I see you in front of me like this.

 

Sungjae’s caress made Sooyoung stir a little in her sleep and she eventually opened her eyes a little. Her groggy state made her look at Sungjae confusedly for a while before giving an exclam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter