Chapter 19

This Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

FLASHBACK

 

Minhyuk and Eunkwang had just stepped out of the school gate when they heard someone call out to Minhyuk.

 

“Minhyuk-oppa!” shouted a familiar voice.

 

The pair turned around to see Moonbyul running towards them.

 

“Oh, Byul-ah. What is it?” asked Minhyuk.

 

“I need to tell you something important,” replied Moonbyul.

 

“What is it? You look so worried,” asked Minhyuk concernedly.

 

Moonbyul related everything that had been happening to Sooyoung in class for the past few days. Minhyuk and Eunkwang’s expressions hardened as they listened to her and Moonbyul noticed.

 

“I know you two will tell Sungjae-oppa. But please make sure he doesn’t lose his mind over it. Sooyoung stopped telling him about it because she felt he wouldn’t be able to do anything about it,” related Moonbyul. “I’m betraying Sooyoung’s trust now but I think I need to before it gets any worse. I’m not sure how much more she can take this.”

 

“Arasso, Byul-ah. Thanks for telling us this. We’ll make sure we take Sungjae in hand when we tell him this. We’ll also make sure he doesn't make a fuss with Sooyoung. Don't worry about betraying Sooyoung’s trust on this matter. You’re doing so for her welfare, not for your own benefit, so don't worry,” assured Minhyuk.

 

“Yeah, thanks for telling us. We’ll make sure to keep a firm hand on Sungjae,” echoed Eunkwang.

 

“Gomawo, oppa. I’ll get going now then,” said Moonbyul, before walking off.

 

Eunkwang looked over at Minhyuk and gave a cheeky smirk. “When do you plan to make a move? A cute girl like that will have people flocking to her sooner or later.”

 

“Yah! Didn’t I say? She’s a dongsaeng to me. Focus on the problem at hand!” protested Minhyuk.

 

“Arasso,” smiled Eunkwang, though he almost immediately assumed a more serious expression. “I’ll text the others to meet at my house.”

 

 

The seven of them met at Eunkwang’s place later that day. When Sungjae arrived, Eunkwang sat him down on his couch and sat facing him with Minhyuk. After getting Sungjae to promise them that he would remain calm, Minhyuk related everything that Moonbyul told them earlier that day.

 

Sungjae’s ears steadily grew redder and redder but managed to keep his cool as he listened to his hyungs. Finally, after Minhyuk and Eunkwang finished relating the whole story, Eunkwang asked, “What do you think, maknae-ah?”

 

Sungjae counted to 10 inside his mind before trusting himself to speak. “I know losing my temper won’t solve anything. But we need to catch the culprit before Sooyoung has to go through any more bullying. She may think that I can’t do anything about it and she’s right. I can’t do it alone. But I have you hyungs right? Surely we can work something out?”

 

“Of course, Sungjae-ah. We’ll definitely figure something out, don’t worry,” assured Minhyuk.

 

“What do you all think, guys?” asked Eunkwang, addressing the others.

 

Silence ensued over the seven boys for a while before Ilhoon spoke up. “We’ve tried waiting after school, right? But nothing’s ever happened then.”

 

“What about before school then? Those things happen to Sooyoung’s table before school starts every day, right?” asked Hyunsik.

 

“Bwoh? You’re suggesting we go to school while it’s still dark? Micchoseo?” asked Changsub.

 

“I think Hyunsik has a point,” said Minhyuk. “I think it’ll be the only way we can catch the culprit. You can stay at home if you want.”

 

“Shiro! I want to be part of the action too!” protested Changsub.

 

“So, shall we decide on this then?” asked Sungjae.

 

“I think so,” replied Eunkwang decisively. “We have no other way of figuring this problem out anyway.”

 

“What time shall we meet?” asked Peniel.

 

“I think we’d better meet at 5am,” replied Minhyuk. “We have no idea how early the culprit comes. We’ll meet at 5am in front of the school gate.”

 

“Do we need to bring anything?” asked Ilhoon.

 

“Definitely a good camera, in case the culprit really does show up. Otherwise, it’ll be our word against the culprit’s,” replied Eunkwang.

 

“I’ll bring my DSLR. Somebody can record using their handphone as well,” said Hyunsik.

 

“I’ll bring my big torchlight,” added Minhyuk.

 

The boys left Eunkwang’s house after deciding on everything that had to be done the next day. They all decided to sleep early that night, seeing how early they had to wake up. Sungjae walked in the direction of Sooyoung’s house to meet her at the playground where So Hyun usually played, though he first made sure that his face showed none of the anger or stress that he felt about what was to happen the following morning.

 

 

Sungjae was the first to arrive in front of the school gate the next morning. Though it was so early, the anger he felt from Sooyoung being bullied fuelled him to wake up early and made him alert. The others arrived soon after and they headed into the school compound together.

 

As they walked up to Sooyoung’s classroom, they debated on how they should plan their surprise attack.

 

“There’s no space to hide!” exclaimed Peniel. “We didn't discuss this well enough yesterday!”

 

“Kwenchana. This corridor that leads to Sooyoung’s classroom turns at the corner and ends in a dead end,” said Sungjae, recalling all that had happened when he overheard Hyunwoo confessing his feelings to Sooyoung, his heart giving a slight wrench as he did so. “We’ll be able to hide in the dead end with plenty of space to spare.”

 

The others nodded as they crowded over to the dead end. They waited for well over an hour in that dead end. Changsub and Ilhoon fell asleep as they waited. However, Sungjae remained vigilant as he kept a sharp eye on Sooyoung’s classroom from around the corner. His patience was rewarded when they finally heard soft footsteps. A dark figure approached Sooyoung’s locker and took out a bottle of clear liquid. He was shocked when the lock on Sooyoung’s locker hissed and fumed as the dark figure poured the liquid onto the lock. Behind him, Minhyuk was ready with his torchlight and Hyunsik with his DSLR.

 

The dark figure managed to force open Sooyoung’s locker after removing the lock and started scribbling something on the door of Sooyoung’s locker. Sungjae turned to Hyunsik and whispered, “Now, hyung!”

 

Hyunsik turned his camera to night mode and set it to take a burst shot, before focusing on the culprit’s side profile. He gave a small start of surprise as he saw who it was. He collected himself and pressed the shutter, causing the camera to give off a series of loud clicks. After he did so, he walked out of the corner, followed by the remaining six boys.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

“So it was you all along!” shouted Hyunsik.

 

The girl turned and faced Hyunsik with a shocked expression, as she dropped the pink lipstick in her hand.

 

“There’s no point in running away or trying to deny it. All the evidence we need is in my camera now,” warned Hyunsik.

 

Minhyuk switched on his torchlight and focused it on the culprit. As the torchlight illuminated the culprit’s face, Changsub gave an exclamation of shock.

 

“Bomi?!”

 

Sungjae strode forward and caught hold of Bomi’s wrist. “Why have you been doing this to Sooyoung?”

 

Bomi tried to pull away from him but Sungjae was too strong for her.

 

“Why have you been doing this to Sooyoung? ANSWER ME!” demanded Sungjae.

 

The other six boys rushed up to the pair and Minhyuk pulled Sungjae’s hand off Bomi’s wrist.

 

“Enough, Sungjae. I’m sure she’ll talk without you forcing her,” said Minhyuk.

 

Eunkwang walked up to Bomi and said softly, “Could you tell us why you’ve been doing this to Sooyoung?”

 

Upon hearing Eunkwang’s gentle tone, the look of defiance slid off Bomi’s face. Her face crumpled up and she squatted down and began to sob.

 

“I… I… just wanted to get… get back a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter