Time Passes, Things Change, But Fate Won't

Shadows In His Heart

~7 Years Later~

Kim Jaejoong looked in the mirror and sighed as he tried to comb a particularly stubborn piece of hair back. Finally giving in he let the hair roam free as he straightened his tie, grabbed his gun, badge, and keys and set out dressed in all black. The sun was not a welcoming presence as it beat down his back and intensified as it reflected of his black suit. He got into the black Cadillac and headed to his job destination. Pulling out a walkie talkie that rested on the dashboard he clicked the button and contacted his team.

"I'm heading to the Han household. Tell Changmin to loosen security and to be prepared for me to come for pickup" He spoke evenly into the phone.

A calm and even voice responded quickly and he enjoyed the silence of the car as he drove up to the mansion of the prime minister. He spotted several of his men all around the perimeter and flashed his badge at Changmin who nodded and opened the gates for the Cadillac. Cherishing the last moments of peace he would get he drove up the winding road all the way onto the front doors where he parked the car and got out.

Han Mi Ran was a woman in her mid forties who had welcomed her first son along with the prime minister 7 years ago. Because of the importance of her husband's position, she had immediately set out for a personal security team for her son and that was when Jaejoong's security company had been contacted. Over 7 years, Jaejoong had managed to set up the most reputable and trusted security company in Seoul. It gave him a boost of pride every time he thought about it as he stepped out and walked over to Mi Ran and her son, Chang Sun.

"Good morning Mrs. Han. I'm here for Chang Sun" He said formally as he offered a deep bow and kept his professional face on.

"Yes, thank you very much Jaejoong. Here's Chang Sun, I've emailed his schedule for the day, he has a play date today with a new friend he made in school so you'll have to stop and pick the boy up alright?" She said with a polite smile and she pushed Chang Sun forward.

"That'll be alright ma'am. I'll have him back after his activities are over. As decided, all communications channels will be open should you need to reach me. If that's all, we'll take our leave then" Jaejoong said formally and bowed once again.

"Bye Mom!" The young boy called as he climbed in the car and they were finally on their way.

"Ahjussi! I want ice cream!! I want ice cream now!" The boy screamed with a smirk on his face, this was their daily routine every day.

"Yah! Shut up you punk! Ice cream? Was I born yesterday?! Now sit back while we go pick up your friend!" Jaejoong yelled with a smile on his face, he had to hand it to the kid. He really knew how to pick at his nerves.

"Ahjussi, you work for me! Now give some ice cream before I get you fired got it?" He replied cheekily, a smart smile on his face.

"Hah!" Jaejoong scoffed as he pulled the car over, unbuckled his seat and reached back to give a yank to the boy's ear, "You do that and I'll tell all your little school friends all about Mr. Fuzzy Boots! Oh yeah and I have pictures too..."

"A-alright! Gosh..." Chang Sun quickly backed off, frowning at the smile that Jaejoong wore, "It wouldn't kill you to let me  have some ice cream in the morning...."

"We do this every morning, I think it's a safe bet I won't disobey your moms strict orders. Now, who are we going to pick up today?"

"Oh! Ahjussi it's my new friend! Seriously he's so daebak! This kid tried to pick on him and he wasn't even afraid, seriously he even almost beat him up! I think he's a good friend to have so he's coming with me today!" He replied proudly.

"What's his name?" Jaejoong asked with a smile as he heard the excitement in his voice.

"Kang Min Hyuk" He answered immediately, "Now hurry up ahjussi! I don't wanna be late!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"MOM!!!" A seven year old screamed as he ran down the hall way from his room.

"NOONAA!!!" Yelled the much deeper voice of a fifteen year old as he too barreled down the hall trying to beat the small boy to the kitchen.

"What? What now?" Hyorin called as she placed the large stirring spoon down and removed her apron only to step out and have Min Hyuk run straight into her legs with an oomph.

"Mom, hyung is being so mean! He took my new sweater and told me to get it but I was too short to reach it!" Min Hyuk whined as he pulled on her the edge of her shirt, stomping his legs a bit.

"Dae Hyun..." Hyorin warned as the older boy ran in panting, holding Min Hyuk's new sweater in his hands.

"Noona he's a liar!" He yelled.

"No I'm not!" Min Hyuk screamed as he ran to Dae Hyun and kicked him in the shins repeatedly.

"Yah! You little—" Dae Hyun yelled as he put Min Hyuk in a choke hold and the boys fell to the ground.

Hyorin stared at the two fighting boys on the ground and felt a familiar headache come on. Reaching down to pick up the dirty sweater, she dusted it off and closed her eyes for a second... maybe if she just let them fight it out? No... no, that was bad. At least, that's what the books said. Oh... screw the books.

"Both of you stop right now!" She yelled at the top of her lungs, making both boys freeze in shock.

"Kang Dae Hyun come over here right now!" She ordered, Dae Hyun standing up rather guilty his hair messy and limping for the added effect from the shin kicking. It was all a lie Hyorin decided, boys were definitely more dramatic than girls, they just knew how to hide it, "What are you fighting with your brother like that? He's seven!" She chided him and upon seeing Min Hyuk's smug face she him also, "And you! Don't think I don't know how you are! He wouldn't give you your sweater and you did nothing but tell on him? Both of you better tell me the truth right now!"

After ten minutes of bickering back and forth and Hyorin trying to sort through the mess she was hearing they finally all came to a compromise.... well sort of, and mostly because Min Hyuk had a play date coming to pick him up any minute.

"Alright I'm going to change into a clean shirt and I'll walk you to the front door to meet your friend. I heard his bodyguard is coming to get you? I have to meet him" Hyorin told them as she ignored the roll of both of their eyes.

"Noona I'll take him downstairs, you're in the middle of cooking" Dae Hyun offered.

"No, I have to see who gets Min Hyuk, you know I don't like him going off with strangers..." Hyorin mumbled as Min Hyuk pulled his sweater on, oblivious to the conversation.

"The food's about to burn" Dae Hyun pointed out with a smirk as Hyorin gasped and ran back trying to save the dish, "I really think you should stick to simpler dishes..."

"Shut up" She grumbled as she turned the heat down and stared at the food hopelessly.

"I'll take him down, don't worry I won't let him get into any weird cars. Trust me alright? By the way, I didn't invite my girlfriend over to eat ashes so if that's what you're serving... maybe I should order something fast alright?" He teased with a smile as he turned and called for Min Hyuk, "Yo midget! We gotta go!"

"Alright Bye mom! And I'm not a midget!" Min Hyuk yelled as he ran after him.

"Wait! Min Hyuk did you tell your dad where you were going this morning?" She asked as she ran to the door.

"Yes mom! I called him! I have to go! My friend is here!" He called and with a last wave and a kiss on the cheek he ran out behind Dae Hyun.

Hyorin collapsed on a chair and rested her head in her arms. At 27, being a mother just didn't get any simpler. And here she thought when she officially adopted Dae Hyun seven years ago and brought him to live with her  he would be a mature influence on Min Hyuk, but instead what happened? They fight worse than a couple of toddlers. She had two toddlers. That was it. And they just never grew up. Oh god...

The phone rang and she reached out and answered it tiredly.

"I'm not coming home tonight" Seung Hyun announced from the other side.

"You told Min Hyuk you'd take him to  a baseball game later tonight" Hyorin said softly.

"I know what I said and I won't be able to, being director of the NIS takes effort" He said firmly.

"... Fine" Hyorin said closing her eyes and hanging up the phone.

"He's bailing out tonight too huh?" Dae Hyun asked as he took a seat besides Hyorin.

"Yeah... what do I tell Min Hyuk? He'll be so disappointed" Hyorin groaned as she shook her head.

"I'll take him after we have dinner and you meet the love of my life!" He said in such a silly tone that Hyorin burst out laughing.

"Ugh you're such a kid. How was the guy who came to get Min Hyuk?" She asked.

"He looked nice I guess? Hahaha I feel like I've seen him somewhere before, but I guess now a days all bodyguards look the same? You've seen one, you've seen them all. But Geez Min Hyuk is making some high end friends, it's all because of that preppy school you make us go to" He grumbled.

"The school is one of the best, stop whining about it! Ah... now help me find a good restaurant that delivers alright?" She said as she pulled out the pile of take out menus she kept hidden for occasions on which this happened, of course, ignoring the grin on Dae Hyun's face.

One day, she would master cooking for now... it was better not to take any chances

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yay I updated! and here is the result of a large internal debate I had in my head, courtesy of my indecisive mind. Sometimes, that really slows down my updating... It was fun writing a more mature and light hearted Jaejoong and Hyorin though. I think I'm gonna have fun trying to get into a kid's point of view and a teenager's? Well that's the easiest XD

Thanks for reading/subscribing/commenting! ^__^