Wear Your Masks Well

Shadows In His Heart

Hyorin pushed the door open to her room and gasped in surprise. Jaejoong had to make a phone call and so she had gone up by herself only to find Yesung standing there with a serious look on his face. She had a bad feeling as she stepped into her room and locked the door behind her.

"What's wrong? Jaejoong is coming back soon" She said in a hushed tone.

"Everything. Hyorin, I looked up the information you asked me too. Everything from your mother's murder to your stay here. Your files, your information... what you've told me they've said to you, nothing matches up" Yesung explained quickly.

"...What do you mean nothing matches up?" She asked, her heart beginning to race.

"I mean that not one bit of information that you think has happened, is true. I looked up what I could on your mother and it's true she was involved in a project, but..." He trailed off, looking unsure.

"But what?" She pushed, her pulse racing.

"But she wasn't listed under a researcher; she was listed as a test subject. The only test subject who received a check by her name" Yesung said quietly.

"A test subject?" She whispered, the words feeling thick and slimy as they made their way out . Her room seemed to spin for a second and the next thing she knew she swayed forward, stabilized by Yesung's arms. He was saying something else, in a quick and hurried tone but she couldn't process the words. Instead she held on to him, her mind racing and shook her head trying to clear her thoughts.

"Just take deep breaths" Yesung murmured as he held her, her hair gently, "I'm working on a way, but soon--" He started, the sound of the jiggling doorknob cutting him off.

"Hyorin?" Jaejoong called from outside the door, trying to open the door, "Hyorin? Why did you lock your door?" He called.

They both froze as they watched the doorknob turn. Pushing Yesung away from her she shook herself and glanced at herself in the mirror behind him. If there was ever a time to hide her emotions, it would be now.

"Open the door, he doesn't suspect me at all, we'll be fine" He whispered, with a small nod she let out a breath and turned.

"Sorry, Yesung wanted to come talk to me" She explained calmly as she pulled the door open for Jaejoong, noticing the stillness that ran through his body.

"But since you’re here, it seems like we won't have much privacy, so we'll talk another day Hyorin" Yesung said cooly, waving a quick goodbye and walking past a still Jaejoong.

"Why did you lock your door?" He asked her suddenly, turning on her, his body tense.

"Yesung confessed that he was in love with me a while ago. I knew you were coming back soon so I told him so and closed the door so I could explain to him that... well, I was with you now so he should try to move on so we can still be friends" Hyorin explained with a small grimace, "I felt bad since he's been so nice to me all this time..."

"That's it?" He asked her quietly.

"What else would there really be?" She answered lightly, fighting to stay normal.

"Well the reason that I took longer was that it turns out it was easier than I had thought to get your files. Here" He said as he handed over a thin stack of papers to her.

"Thank you Jaejoong" She whispered, stepping up to him and giving him a small hug, hiding her face in his chest.

Jaejoong returned the hug and studied her carefully. Everything seemed normal; he hadn't had a chance to tell her anything he realized with relief.

"Since you wanted me to get all the files, I was going to check with the IT office one more time to see if they missed anything. I'll be back in 20 minutes" Jaejoong said gently.

"Oh that's fine" She answered calmly.

Jaejoong couldn't help himself as he walked to her and kissed her. He felt her freeze for a fraction of a second in surprise and then relax in his hold. The papers fell to the ground with a loud scatter as she let them go to wrap her arms around him. It was a passionate kiss, which he continued even as he pushed her back until he was laying over her on the bed. Her body moved underneath his, her hands edging his shirt upwards and his at her sides. He pulled back suddenly to look at the expression on her face. Her breathing had quickened and her face was flushed red as she looked up at him with eager expectation. He smiled, reassured in his initial assessment of her. If she had truly known something, she would have never let him touch her.

"I should go" He whispered.

"That's a shame" She replied.

With a last peck on her lips, he left her lying there as he quickly got off of her, pulled his shirt down and with a quick goodbye went on his way.

As soon as she heard the door shut, the smile that had been on Hyorin's face disappeared. She closed her eyes and shakily pulled her shirt all the way back down. Yesung's words ran through her mind and she tried to imagine Jaejoong's role in this. Was it possible he didn't know? That he was as clueless about this whole thing as she was? But no, that didn't make sense. Jaejoong knew everything she realized with a sickening feeling.

She felt like crying, but there would be no point. She slowly slid off the bed and reached for one of the papers on the ground. It was a profile on her mother, naming her as a head researcher except she wasn't one was she? Hyorin reached out and touched a finger to the photograph of her mother in the right side. This was the woman who had given birth to her, the one who had loved her, and Hyorin's father... to him, was she just an experiment? And Jaejoong must've known. He had to know. And all this time, he was lying to her. Every second they were together, it was all a lie.

A wave of nausea racked through her body and she shot up and raced to the bathroom and she threw up. There was a feeling of defilement and disgust towards herself, to a man like that, that's who she had given herself up to and it killed her. The pain she was feeling was killing her and the worst part was that she had to keep it hidden. As another dry heave came over her and she leaned over the toilet, she knew she had to talk to Yesung again, there was still so much she didn’t understand and she needed answers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaejoong walked at a fast pace to and raced up the stairs to the highest floor. Hyorin's dad was in his office, studying something on the computer.

"What do you think you're doing, barging in like that?" He asked in an angry tone when Jaejoong stepped in, forgetting the rules and merely walking in without a knock.

"I apologize, it was an emergency. I've found the one responsible for the security leak" Jaejoong stated, "It was Yesung, he was the one who hacked into our systems and I believe he's planning on revealing the truth to Hyorin"

Her father regarded him thoughtfully and nodded solemnly.

"I understand. I'll get it taken care of" He said, writing what must've been a note on a piece of paper besides him.

"Alright. I'll get going now sir" Jaejoong said, bowing and turning to leave when his words stopped him.

"The research we've been working on, we haven't made much progress on it. Plus there is a increasingly high possibility that something could go wrong. I understand she was asking for the files on her mother?" He questioned seriously.

"Yes she was, but that was handled" Jaejoong answered quickly, not liking the turn of the conversation.

"I've learned something in my life Jaejoong, and that was if things aren't going well it's better to pull out while you can and destroy the evidence and start anew" He said coldly.

"Start anew? What does that mean?" He asked, keeping his face blank though there was ice running through his veins in that very same moment.

"Nothing has been decided yet, but if there are too many signs that things are slipping out of control, I'll be counting on you to help me... discard of the more useless aspects of the project" He finished.

"Of course" Jaejoong answered automatically, his muscles stiffening and his throat drying up.

With a nod he turned and stepped out. He walked rather numbly back to her room having to stop for a few seconds to run through what had just happened.  As long as things stayed under control it should all be fine right? He reassured himself that it would be as soon as Yesung was out of the picture. Pushing the worries away he walked back in to find her sitting over the papers in her bed, studying them with focus. When she heard him come in she looked up with an easygoing smile that just gripped his heart.

He smiled back, hoping his face didn’t betray the worry and tension he felt.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

SO I'm currently in the same country as EXO, SHINee, DBSK and SuJu for god's sake! BUT I'm too broke to go to California to see them.... So I'm depressed and burrying my sorrows in fanfiction love, I might write an EXO fanfic soon, because those boys have just taken my fangirl heart by storm or a Yunho one since he was my first kpop love ever XD He will forever have my kpop itiy (,<- kpop ity wtf?) See I'm so sad I'm not making any sense. It depresing though to read all the fan accounts of those that got to hug some of them adn get their autographs! Waeee kpop waeee couldn't you come to another state besides Cali?! I even saved up this year thinking they might go back out to NYC (I missed that too) I'm just too broke, oh well need to work harder then! Me hwaiting! XD

Sorry for the kpop rant, here's a second chapter to make up for it ^^

Thanks to those that read/subscribe/comment (and put up with my stupid add ons at the end XD) :3