The Last Night

Shadows In His Heart

"Everything's going to change in a few days" Seung Hyun commented as he escorted her out of the NIS and into a dark car.

"I know" Hyorin said quietly.

"Are you sure you're going to be able to do this?" He asked her as his doubt in her resolve to separate with Jaejoong deepened.

"I'm sure" She answered after a small pause.

"Wasn't he supposed to be back already?" He asked as they pulled out form the underground parking lot and into the glaring sun.

"He was supposed to be back three days ago... he's late" She informed him.

"That's good I guess. As of today we won't meet anymore. It's safer this way" Seung Hyun said as they pulled to a red light and he pushed a small paper bag into her lap, "In five days it's going to happen. There a gun and a small disposable cell phone. Keep it turned off until that day. Since you will be the only one inside, we're moving on your signal. There's also a drug in there to slip into Jaejoong's drink is he happens to be around you when it's time"

"Alright. Just pull over here. I can walk the rest of the way, the further away you leave the better" Hyorin advised.

"Ok, well then, I'll see you soon" He said solemnly as he locked the car doors behind her and drove off leaving her alone.

Hyorin walked slowly and tiredly, she hadn't slept since the night before. Unfortunately, her reason for not sleeping had nothing to do with vengeance, nightmares, or plans. She was worried because Jaejoong hadn't come back yet. She laughed at herself as she spotted a diner and walked in. Jaejoong was always back in time and just because he was three days late she was worrying? Not to mention that in five short days...

She bought a big lunch and asked for a large bag at the counter. As soon as she got back outside she placed the paper bag Seung Hyun had given to her underneath all the food she had bought and continued her walk back. Once again her mind wondered to Jaejoong. The last time they had seen each other was a week ago and they had a big fight. What if his mission was extended and he didn't come back for another week? By then Hyorin would be gone.

Though she told herself that it might be better that way, there would be no painful goodbye, she still hoped he would come back soon. The first three days he had been gone were fine, she was still nursing her anger and pain, but by the last day she had been painfully aware of his lack of presence. They might be running out of time, but still... she wanted to ask him so many things. That's why he had to be there on the last day she would stay because otherwise she might never know. Even if she might not believe him, she wanted to hear the truth from his mouth at least once.

"What's that?" The security guard asked as she walked in.

"My dinner" She answered coldly as the man took the bag from her and opened it, the smell of fresh food wafting out.

"Go ahead" He said in a gruff voice as he roughly handed the bag back.

Like always, she made a point to walk past what used to be Yesung's office. It served as a strengthening reminder of what she had to do and why. It made her remember that this didn't only involve her feelings. It was something much bigger. So with a heavy heart she made it back to her room where she hid the bag and took out her food.

She stared at the warm food only to place it back in the bag and push it aside. She wasn't hungry anyways.

What if he was hurt? What if there had been an accident?

"Damn" She muttered as she laid back in her bed and placed an arm over her eyes. In five days she was expected to basically let Jaejoong die and she couldn't even make it over a week without worrying about him.

~~~~~~~~

He was seven days late, an entire week. He was never this late. He would have called. He would have said something. Hyorin was going insane in her small room. There was no one to talk to, no one to ask about him and as the hours passed she found herself on her bed shedding tears of regret. What if he was gone? As it got darker the only thing that was on her mind was that by tomorrow night she would be long gone and it made her cry harder because she was confused. Part of her wanted to forgive him for all the lies, after all, he had taken care of her all this time and if he really did love her... but the other half of her always chimed and mocked her for being so stupid as to really believe that she could have a happy ending. It laughed at her and reminded her of everything bad that had happened that Jaejoong knew about.

As she pushed herself off her bed she dried her tears and stared at the spot where she had hidden the bag. Suddenly she turned around and walked out. She practically ran down to Yesung's office. It had been emptied out and cleaned so well that there was no trace of him left. That's right she reminded herself, in order to help her he put his life in danger and now she wanted to throw away this chance because she was in love?

Hyorin placed a firm hand on the cold and bare desk and closed her eyes. She stayed like that for a long time. Thinking of the people that she couldn't let down. Seung Hyun too... he was helping her out and he trusted her. She couldn't mess up. With a small nod of her head she headed back up.

The thought that there were only hours left until it was time left her with goosebumps.

"Hey, I just got back, I was waiting for you" Jaejoong said casually as he dropped a small duffle bag on the side of her bed and smiled carelessly, "I wanted to talk to you and it looks like you have good timing" he joked.

Hyorin was speechless as she walked in and closed the door behind her slowly. Why... was it that whenever she tried to make up her mind he seemed to appear and rip her resolve to shreds?

"You're late..." Hyorin whispered as she stepped closer.

"Only by a week. I actually finished my mission on time, but I had something to take care of—" He explained, going quiet when she walked up to him and threw her arms around him silently shaking with tears.

"I thought I'd never see you again!" She mumbled into his chest as he held her tightly.

"I was only a little late... we have lots of time" He said comfortably as he held her tighter, knowing just how much he had truly missed her.

"You're such a jerk.... you should have come back faster" She cried as she shook her head softly.

"Don't cry. I'm sorry" He said gently as he thought of the present he had gotten for her as soon as he had stepped foot back in Seoul.

"I'm not crying" She said as she wiped her tears away and looked to the side.

"If you say so" Jaejoong agreed with a smile as he sat, "I figured you were probably getting sick of spending too much with me and that you needed some time alone" He explained.

"That was never it. I wouldn't get sick of you" She said honestly.

"That makes me glad and I won't ask you what was wrong last time either" Jaejoong promised.

"I'll tell you" Hyorin said after a moment of hesitation, "Tomorrow. I promise I'll tell you tomorrow"

"Alright. Then I'll give you your gift tomorrow too" Jaejoong said happily as he smiled brightly at her.

"Ah! I know what we need to celebrate my return" He said playfully, "Wait here" He called as he ran out and returned with a bag of drinks and a grin on his face.

"You want... to get drunk? Even though I hadn't seen you in so long?" Hyorin said incredulously.

"I want to get drunk, with you" He corrected as he took out the bottles and placed two glasses down, "It'll be fun, we've never done this before"

"... True" Hyorin agreed after consideration and finally took a seat as they both took their first drink. A strangely satisfied expression crossing their faces. It had been stressful lately.

"Did you have a relaxing 2 weeks without me?" He asked her, brushing a strand of hair from her face affectionately.

"It was boring without you" She confessed.

"Ha, it probably shouldn't, but that makes me happy to hear" He whispered, satisfied when a shy smile crossed her face.

That night they talked about stupid little things and it was a moment Hyorin knew she would treasure forever as they both smiled and laughed together. She found that she spent most of her time gazing at him while he talked and told her about his mission. While minutes turned into hours he kept drinking, slowly getting more and more drunk. Hyorin smirked as he missed while refilling her cup. She hadn't been drinking nearly as much as Jaejoong, since getting drunk the night before her plans was a bad idea, but she was still a bit dazed. Most importantly, it was a wonder that Jaejoong wasn't completely knocked out.

"Yah Hyorin... Do you know when you changed to me?" Jaejoong spoke resting his head on his outstretched arm on the table.

"What do you mean?" She questioned.

"Like... you changed. You know, like... one day, I swear it was in one day you were just so beautiful!" He blurted out suddenly.

"A-ah... was I really?" She trailed off, his words making her heart flutter. Even drunk... he still made her feel like this.

"Yeah and strong too. You don't see it" He continued, moving his chair right next to hers and throwing an arm around her, "but you're really strong. Seriously, anyone can come into this place and lose their humanity and become a monster... it takes a strong person to remain as kind as you. Yup, that's definitely one of the reasons... you know... yeah..." He said with a lazy smile.

Hyorin smiled as she looked at him and gently took the glass from his hand and pushed it away, leaning into his chest.

"You know why I love you?" She began, knowing he wouldn't remember this by tomorrow, "because in all this darkness and evil in this building, the only ray of light I ever saw was in you. You think you're so evil and horrible... but I know you're not" She whispered.

"Oh... I really am. If you knew you'd hate me" He mumbled.

"...If I knew what?" She whispered.

"If you knew about all the lies I've told you..." He confessed as he shut his eyes tight, "Oh all sorts of things, this and that... and that... and about everything... I'm a really bad guy. I took advantage of you because you know? People like me... we can't have nice people around us"

Hyorin stayed quiet. He was confessing he took advantage of her?

"We destroy nice people here so I really tried. I did everything I could to keep you intact. Like a glass doll" He mused, laughing randomly, "But I couldn't tell you the truth... because I was so afraid. I was a coward and I still am. I worry... that you'll wise up and leave me" Jaejoong joked as he patted her leg affectionately.

"Jaejoong... did you hurt Yesung?" She asked him is hushed tone.

"Yesung....  I hate him. All the time Yesung this Yesung that blah blah blah" He mocked, "I felt bad though.. not for him, for you because of him"

"Did you kill him?" She asked quietly.

"Nah, but I... I practically .... uh... yeah I told the boss about what he did" He slurred, "I don't know who... he shouldn't have.... tried to find out more" He muttered.

Hyorin closed her eyes and swallowed back the knot in as she leaned even more into Jaejoong and inhaled his scent. One that she had gotten so accustomed to. He loved her she told herself, that mocking voice was gone. Very slowly she opened her eyes and placed a hand over his while he mumbled on about something else and held it there. She couldn't walk away from him tomorrow she knew. Even if her mind couldn't make sense of it, after she talked to him tomorrow she would forgive him she told herself. If he told her the truth... she would forgive him. Yesung's memory came up and she silently begged for his forgiveness along with her mother's. She was being selfish she knew, but she couldn't simply walk away from Jaejoong.

Hyorin rested her head on his shoulder as he put his arm around her waist and laughed about something stupid. They were both the same she thought suddenly, they were both doing stupid things to stay together. Now if only they could both make it out safely.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Today I took a look at how many chapters this fic was and I have to admit I was surprised it was still 31... it feels like I've written a lot more XD

Thanks for reading/subscribing/commenting! ^_^