Evil Comes in Many Forms

Shadows In His Heart

The boy was quiet as they walked in to a room whose walls were painted vividly and professionally like a jungle. A mountain of toy animals all over the place, complete with a dinosaur bed set. Hyorin sat him down with a smile as she looked around in awe. There certainly was a difference in how kids with money were raised she thought ironically.

"Robbers are bad people, but you don't seem bad...." He asked quietly as he crawled under his covers and looked up at her.

"It's very complicated. Your parents must really love you a lot" She said as she quickly changed the subject.

"I guess... I never see my mom or dad though, they're always working... but it's my birthday weekend and so they flew all the way here!" He finished happily.

"Well, happy birthday then. Now, just go back to sleep and you can keep celebrating with your parents tomorrow alright?" Hyorin asked him.

He nodded obediently and Hyorin smiled warmly, the sight of him making her heart melt. She turned as walked out quietly. She walked back to the studio only to find Jaejoong all by himself searching through files stacked up in the safe.

"Where is she?" Hyorin asked as he called her over.

"She went to do a run on the perimeter, help me find these files" He asked as he pushed over to her a piece of paper with weird numbers on it. Hyorin knew better than to ask as she searched through stacks of folder.

"Oh! I got it" Hyorin said triumphantly minutes later as she pulled the last folder from the list out and placed it to the side.

"Good now let's get the hell out of here" He said quietly.

Hyorin smiled and nodded as she grabbed the stack of folders they were going to take and Jaejoong closed the safe. A loud shot rang through the house, so out of nowhere that Hyorin jumped in surprise and dropped the folders on the ground. She didn't have to ask to know what that sound was. She looked in surprise over at Jaejoong wondering what the hell was going on before a feeling of dread settled in.

They both ran out of the studio and into the house. They ran up the stairs where they met Chae Rim half way down. A gun was hanging lazily on the crook of her fingers and a dark liquid dripped off her hands.

"Oh god, what did you do?" Hyorin asked as she chocked back a scream, Chae Rim's image and void eyes doing nothing to help.

"I took care of business" She answered coldly, "We're not here to pretend we're the good guys. It's about doing a mission perfectly"

"A mission? The boy, is he alright?" Hyorin asked quietly.

"What do you think?" She asked, a sick and somewhat arrogant look on her face.

"His parents must've heard something" Hyorin said in shock.

"I was finished with his parents by the time you left his room" She shot back.

Hyorin stared with wide eyes as she opened and closed , unable to find any words as her heart pounded in her chest. She stayed still as Jaejoong angrily stalked forward and backhanded Chae Rim so hard she stumbled to the side. He grabbed her by the collar and slammed her into the wall.

"I told you to leave the boy alone" He yelled angrily.

"He was a liability" She answered.

Jaejoong responded something else, it was loud and insulting Hyorin knew, but she couldn't really process it as she walked past the two and up the stairs. She turned to the right and walked down the long hallway. Counting the doors she reached his room, the door was ajar, she had definitely shut it on her way out. Her whole body trembled as she pushed the door open and walked in. He laid on his back in the corner of the bed. So still that Hyorin didn't know what to do. She wanted to call his name, but found that she didn't even know it. She tried to take a breath and choked. She collapsed to the ground and closed her eyes tightly as tears she knew wanted to fall just wouldn't come out.

"Hey... wake up" She pleaded. She had promised him he would be safe. He trusted her.

"We should go" Jaejoong said softly as he came to her side and pulled her up.

Hyorin followed him numbly until she spotted his toy dinosaur, the one he had been holding laying off the side of the bed. She pulled away from Jaejoong and bent down to pick it up when she heard a soft sound, so soft that she knew Jaejoong hadn't heard as she looked at him suddenly and he looked at her in confusion. She took a deep breath as she approached his bed and reached over to him.

"What are you doing?" He asked her cautiously, unable to look at the child whose blood freely stained the sheets and wall behind him. Of all things he had done, or even taken part in, killing a child was not one of them.

"He's alive...." Hyorin whispered in surprise as she turned to Jaejoong, "It's barely there, but he has a pulse. Call an ambulance"

Jaejoong hesitated a fraction of a second before running to the house phone they had passed on the way up.

"Where are you going now?" Chae Rim asked, her lip bloody and her eyes a filled with anger and resentment.

"I'm calling for help, the child's alive" Jaejoong answered angrily as he picked the phone up and dialed 119.

"That's impossible" She said.

"You better hope it's not because if that child dies I promise you you'll be lying in a ditch and you know I won't be as merciful as to simply use a gun" He seethed at her, quickly giving out the directions to the ambulance.

"Get to the car and get it running, we'll be right out" Jaejoong ordered. Chae Rim stared at him for a moment before doing what she was told. She didn't understand why Jaejoong wasn't proud of her, she had done what was needed to keep them safe. There were some sacrifices that had to be made. That had changed him. Did he think she enjoyed killing them? Sure, it didn't particularly bother her, but she wouldn't have done it had it not been necessary and it had.... right?

"We have to go" Jaejoong said as he walked in to the boy's room again.

"Did you call for help?" She asked him, her voice emotionless.

"Yeah" Jaejoong said softly, not sure how to approach Hyorin.

"Good" She whispered as she found herself unable to move away.

Jaejoong didn't say a word as he pulled her up and out of the house, her eyes still empty and her face so pale. Her body was also cold and still trembled slightly, her knuckles white from holding the stuffed dinosaur she had been unable to let go. It was only when Jaejoong pulled open the car door that Hyorin let out a scream and struggled to be let go.

"I can't... I can't be in the same car as her" She said shakily.

"Don't be so dramatic" Chae Rim snapped.

"Get out of the car" Jaejoong snapped right back, pulling money from his pocket and throwing it at her feet as she came around to their side, "call for a cab"

"What? You're kidding right?!" Chae Rim asked as Jaejoong sat Hyorin in the front seat and got into the driver's side, locking the car doors immediately.

Chae Rim screamed something as she picked up the money and walked away. Jaejoong started the car, throwing the backpack full of documents to the back seat.

"Until the ambulance comes... let's stay please" She asked quietly.

".... Alright" He answered.

"Why aren't you more shocked?" Hyorin asked him, her head pounding in pain and her eyes burning in response, "You should be horrified"

"I've seen a lot of things done to people in the time I've been here... this must've been merciful in her eyes. It's disgusting what she did, but I've spent so long building a wall around myself that if I let myself break down from this... I wouldn't be sane any longer" He murmured, feeling more than a little disgusted with himself for being unable to feel the pain that was so evident in Hyorin. Was it too much to hope that she would make him human again?

Hyorin didn't know what to say so stayed quiet, minutes stretching into what seemed like years in her mind when finally an ambulance whizzed past them and stopped at the house. They got in relatively easily, breaking down the doors and running inside. Jaejoong started the car and drove away just as they took the bodies out. It had to be a good sign that the boy wasn't in a body bag like his parents. Hyorin couldn't see much, but she hoped that he would still be alive, he had to be.

"I'm sorry, I love you" He offered hoping it would be some comfort. Instead he found it hurt more when she simply stared at him, opened but no words came out. He could see it in her eyes, an accusation that she tried to hide by looking away.

Jaejoong turned back to the road, trying to think of ways to make it up to her. Being able to worry about her so openly was still so new that he was afriad after tonight he might not get the chance to show her. A somewhat bitter feeling came over him, if Chae Rim had done this to drive a wedge between the two it was certainly working. Even the surprise date he had so carefully planned for them would have to be pushed back.

Hyorin didn't even notice when the car stopped moving near a forest she had never seen before. Jaejoong watched her stare at the dashboard, her face blank of any emotion. He hesistated before he got out of the car adn went around to her side. This had been his place for so long, something he had never before shared with anyone. But he went whenever he was conflicted about things and maybe she would appreciate it too. So without another word he led her out of the car and down a makeshift path he had created long ago. The night had cleared up and thin rays of moonlight illuminated their path.

She followed alogn, unaware of what was happening. The only thing she could see was taht boy's room, his bloody bed, and suddenly that night. Her mother on the floor and the man who had tried to save her. The man whose face she still couldn't see. The two memories swirled and combined into her own custom made nightmare. She couldn't even say a word, her voice was gone.

Jaejoong led her by the hadn until the tall grass cleared to a small field surrounded by wild flowers and a small lake sitting quietly off to the side.

"Hyorin... Say something" Jaejoong asked worriedly as he shook her, "Hyorin!"

She stared into the man's face a fog beginning to clear when she found herself face to face with Jaejoong. She gasped as she instinctively pulled away from me and stumbled back. She looked around the unfamiliar place and back at him.

"Where are we?" She asked him quietly after much effort.

"This... is my place. I mean, the place where I just go to think and forget" He answered honestly.

She nodded somewhat absentmindedly as she kept looking around. She still held the stuffed animal tight in her arms and she refused to make eye contact with Jaejoong.

"It wasn't my fault" He said suddenly, breaking the silence and causing her to freeze.

"... I know that... I just, you're so calm about it.... I can't look at you, I'm sorry" She whispered.

"I would have stopped her. Hyorin I'm not alright with what she did. I just... you can't just do this to me. You can't pull away from me like this. It's not right, I'm here talk to me" He pleaded.

Hyorin focused on the water. It reflected the moonlight so effortlessly and looked so peaceful. She wondered how much more she could take before she broke... before she ended up like Chae Rim. She finally found the courage to meet Jaejoong's eyes and she smiled softly.

"No matter what, you can't ever leave me" She whispered as she stepped into his arms and allowed all the pain and guilt she felt to spill out.

"I swear to you I never will" He answered with determination as he held her tightly as sobs escaped from her and tears flowed out freely. She gripped him tightly.

"I love you" She whispered.

"I love you too" He answered, feeling something in his crack. He felt sad... and happy. Sad at all that he had lost, all that happened tonight, and happy that she was with him despite it all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

They laid on the grass, hours had gone by and they just stared up at the sky, at the moon and stars, her hand safely resting in his.

"If there's one thing you could take back, one moment that you wish would have never happened, what would it be?" She asked him quietly.

"It would be the night your mother died... I would have liked to meet you under other circumstances" He answered honestly, picking a lonely flower by her head. He grabbed her hand and tied the stem around her finger, forming a beautiful flower ring.

"Then you might have never met me" She said.

"Who knows? You might regret meeting me someday" He answered honestly.

"Never, I'm sure they'll be many things I'll regret in the future, but meeting you will never be one of them" Hyorin said firmly, "I've only seen this happening in movies" she added tiredly.

"I'm not creative enough to come up with things like this in by myself" He confessed.

"At least you try" She whispered.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: Next chapter has so skip you innocent ones! ^_^

Thanks for reading/subscribing/commenting =)