Just Another Job

Shadows In His Heart

"Mom!" Hyorin screamed loudly, raw from her screams.

"Shut up!" The man in black yelled as he backhanded the 16 year old girl one more time.

"Please, help her! She's going to die if you don't do something!" She whimpered, her eyes watering from the force of the slap.

"Are you stupid? Come here!" He yelled as he roughly grabbed her by the collar and dragged her over to the motionless body in the corner of the room, "She's dead and she's been dead long before you stepped through that door!"

The man threw her to the side where she struggled to get back into a sitting position. Tears flowed out freely as sobs of pain shuddered through her small body. Blood streamed out from the binds around her wrists and strands of hair stuck to the blood running down her lips and forehead. The man paced as he muttered to himself, something about them being late. He shot another disgusted look at Hyorin and sighed loudly.

"They said it wouldn't last, but if it means only a minute without your damn crying I'm willing to try" He growled as he made his way to her and pulled a small needle out of his pocket.

"What are you doing?!" The girl screamed loudly as she tried to kick him away, to no use since he pushed on her back and held her down with all his weight.

Hyorin kept screaming as he injected whatever it was into her arm. Almost immediately she felt herself go limp and darkness settle in behind her eyes.

When she opened her eyes next she found herself disoriented and lost. Colors swirled around her as pieces of her memory desperately tried to go back into place. The world blurred in front of her as she struggled to get into a sitting position. She could only make out shapes, but she stayed still. Was the man gone? She couldn't hear anything, panic pumped loudly in her ears and she could feel her breath speeding up as she crawled pitifully to the blur that laid in the corner where she remembered her mom was.

"Mom... Mom wake up... please... don't leave me alone..." She sobbed as she bent her head down, tears flowed faster when she realized that even her mother's perfume, the one that she had treasured so much since it was too expensive to buy another bottle, mixed with the smell of blood.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry... I should have listened to you, I should have come when you called, but I— I thought you were overreacting! I didn't know.... please!" She begged silently as she tried with all her might to hear or see any signs of life. It was her fault, her mother had called her and she just... she ignored her... she felt nausea taunt her as guilt took a hold of her soul.

"Are you kidding me?! Not even fifteen minutes!" The man yelled as he walked in and saw her, "That's it they're taking too long, if drugs won't work I'm sure you're not immune to a good slap" He muttered more to himself as he rolled up a sleeve and headed towards her.

 A loud crash surprised them both and Hyorin struggled to see. Her eyesight was still too blurry to see anything, no matter how rapidly she tried to blink and clear it away.

A man ran in and attacked the man in black. They fought, fists and kicks flying so fast it was hard for anyone to keep track. They fought so fast and skillfully that she could barely register when the man in black pulled out something from his back.

"Watch out!" She screamed not quite sure at what she warning him against, as the man in black rushed the other guy, blade in hand.

His dark eyes flickered to hers for the slightest moment and faster than she could have imagined, he must have pulled a gun from his back and pulled the trigger because the loud noise rang loudly in the small home. The man in black crumpled to the ground in front of her eyes and Hyorin looked up to him in awe. He walked with cool precision to the man he had just shot and turned him over. He took a good look at him before he stood up once again and aimed the gun to the man's head.

He looked at her as the shot rang around the small room.  She flinched, unable to overlook the image of the dead man in front of her. She heard his steps echo on the floor and froze in fear. Was he going to kill her too? He might as well... her mother was all she had Hyorin realized as more tears spilled out.

She heard a small click as relief spread from her wrists. She opened her eyes in shock as she brought her wrists to herself and turned to look at him.  

"Come on" He said firmly as he grasped her arm.

"I can't leave her here!" Hyorin said pitifully as she stiffened.

"She's gone, you need to come if you want to live" He told her softly. She looked up and shook her head.

"There's nothing you can do by staying here" He said to her as he pulled her up a bit more forcefully this time. She cried harder, knowing exactly what he was saying yet still not being able to accept that her mother was gone.

"I can't see right" Hyorin said between sobs.

"Did he give you something weird?" He asked her, his deep voice echoing around them.

"It knocked me out for a bit" She whispered.

"This must be some side effect or allergic reaction, I'm sure it'll go away, now come on" He insisted as she looked back to where her mother lay, digging her heels into the ground. She couldn't leave her!

He ended up having to pull the crying teenage girl away. Suddenly shots rang out. He cursed loudly as he pulled her into his arms and shielded her, pulling out his gun in the process. She buried her head into his chest, trying to stop the panic building inside and focusing on his steady heartbeat. Suddenly he grunted loudly and stumbled back as he pulled her deeper into the house and locked them both into the nearby bathroom.

"Damn it" He cursed as he let her go and limped over to the window sill.

He grabbed a towel, wrapped it around his arm and punched the window glass out of the way. Hyorin yelped as he cleared the glass away. Her eyesight was clearing up a bit and she glanced at the blood seeping from the gunshot wound right above his ankle.

"Listen, climb through and run, run as far away as you can. Don't stop!" He instructed as he reached out to her and pulled her to the window sill.

"I can't... you're hurt... where am I going to go, I can't even see!" She asked in panic as they heard loud footsteps get closer.

"I'll be fine they're here for you! You'll be all right as long as you just keep running! Just trust me, I'll come find you" He promised as he looked into her teary eyes.

"Here" She said softly as she dug around her pocket clumsily.

"What the hell are you doing!?" He asked her, frustration lacing his tone.

"For your leg, I hear you have to keep pressure on it" She told him quickly as she placed into his hand the handkerchief her mother had embroidered for her so long ago. She always carried it in the pocket of her school uniform and she didn't know if it would help much, but he had helped her and the way she was now, it was the least she could do.

"Just go!" He barked as he grabbed the cloth and pushed her forward.

She nodded, too afraid to do anything else. For the first time, she was thankful they lived on the ground floor she thought as he lifted her up and helped her climb to the other side. He nodded as she took one last look, turned as ran as fast as she could.

Her lungs burned as she kept running, not knowing where she was heading. She turned a corner and stopped, her blood running cold as a group of men turned and pointed at her, screaming for her to stop. She ly to crash into the body of a guy who couldn't have been that much older than her. With speed she had only seen in movies, he grabbed her tightly.

"We've been looking for you" He said lightly as he grabbed her tighter when she began to struggle, "I really did hope that you wouldn't be this difficult. We're not the bad guys Hyorin, we're here to save you from the bastards that killed your mother" He said to her.

Hyorin didn't care what he was saying, she needed to get away so she could find him. She opened to scream and her eyes widened as he slapped a cloth over and face. A sickly scent washed over her and made her mind begin to fade out for the second time that night. Her eyes drooped as she passed out in his arms.

"I got her!" Yelled the guy as he picked up the young girl in his arms and carried her back to the waiting car.

He held her firmly in his arm as he sat inside and other men climbed in behind him. He didn't know how long she would stay knocked out and he couldn't take any chances.

"I thought I specifically said to handle this quietly, why on earth did you send that idiot to kill her mother?" He asked coldly.

No man dared open his mouth to answer because even though he was holding the girl so gently in his arms, there was something far more dangerous and murderous going on deep in his eyes.

"Well... we'll have to deal with that later I guess, the important thing is that we have her now. Did you guys deal with him?" He asked coolly.

"Uh... he um... got away" Sungmin said quietly when no one else spoke up.

The man froze, taking a good long look at each of them.

"Yet another disappointment tonight... " He murmured, tilting his head back while he worked up a story for her. No matter what, she had to be a willful participant, failing after all the work that's been put into getting her would cost him his life.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Well, there you go! First chapter out ^-^ Hope you guys enjoyed it and I'll be sure to post the second chapter up sometime soon.

Also, subscribe and comment please? =D