Calling For Help

Shadows In His Heart

"How has your therapy been going?" Hyorin asked as she pulled open the curtain to allow more sunlight into Dae Hyun's room.

"It's fine. My movements are getting better, I don't drop stuff as often" He said quietly.

"That's great Dae Hyun, you'll be out of this place faster than you think" She offered kindly as she brought back water for the plants and spotted a framed image that had fallen over.

"What's going to happen after I leave?" He asked her, looking straight at her.

"Well, for starters no more bandaged head, and you'll be able to go back to school, see your friends, meet—" She began as she continued to water the plants.

"Will that be the last time I see you?" Dae Hyun asked bluntly. He had been thinking about this for quite a while. Part of him wished he would never see her again, the other part wished that she would stay in contact. After all, she was the only person who understood, she had made him a promise.

"...I don't know. That's up to you" She said as she moved in front of the frame, turning it over to see it was a family photograph, "I would like to go visit you still..." She said, letting her sentence hang in the air, she wouldn't push her company on him for her own need of forgiveness she decided as she fixed the photograph.

"I have to make a quick phone call. I'll be back in a minute Dae Hyun" Hyorin said when the silence had stretched out too long. She didn't want to put him in an awkward place and she really did have a phone call to make.

He nodded in response and she gave him a supportive smile as she walked out into the hallway. She only had to walk a little ways until she found the small public telephone. Jaejoong was off doing who knows what she reminded herself as a trembling hand reached into her pocket and she pulled out the small business card. She stared at the numbers and forced herself to pick up the phone and dial the numbers. It was quiet for a moment before it began to ring.

"Hello?" A deep voice said on the other side, she froze and slammed the phone back down, quickly hanging up.

Taking a deep breath she dialed once again.

"Hello? ... who is this?" Asked Seung Hyun from his office.

"I need help" She whispered into the phone. Those three words taking more effort than she had.

"Who are you?" Seung Hyun asked, more alert, sensing that this was important.

"It's Kang Hyorin. I need to meet with you" She said softly, wondering how she could feel like she was betraying someone who had done nothing but from the beginning.

"Hyorin, is that really you?" He asked in disbelief.

"Yes, I don't have a lot of time so you have to come fast. I'll be waiting for you at the Seoul hospital waiting area" She whispered, somehow unable to speak too loud, a faint sense of fear trickling into her.

"I'll be there" Seung Hyun agreed without hesitation.

"Good. I'll see you then" She said quickly, hanging up the phone immediately.

It was the right thing to do she reminded herself as she turned to say goodbye to Dae Hyun

~~~~~~~~~~

Seung Hyun wondered for the tenth time if this was some sort of trap as he parked his car as went over to the hospital. He couldn't help it, she had been so sure in what she believed the last time they had met that this sudden phone call was just strange. Despite the nagging suspicion he had still raced to his car and with no explanation to anyone had run out of work to come meet her. It was a public enough place that he was almost sure it wasn't a trap.

He spotted her as soon as he walked in. She was the only one standing up, back against the wall and head down. She looked up at him suddenly, as if sensing him when he walked in. They stared for a second before approaching each other wearily.

"...I found a place where we can talk" She said to him and he followed her as he noticed that there was something different from the last time they had met.

He realized what it was as they both walked into an empty hospital room filled with plants and she locked the door behind them.

"The boy in here is in his therapy session right now so the room will be empty until he comes back" She explained when she saw his look of question.

"I didn't think you'd ever call" Seung Hyun said.

"Neither did I" Hyorin admitted, "I had no choice"

"Did something happen?" He asked, worry lacing his voice as he looked her over, as if the answers would somehow appear.

"I had— have. I have a friend he went missing a couple of days ago. He told me some things recently and he left this for me to find" Hyorin said as she handed the card out to him.

"Who was he?" Seung Hyun asked, recognizing his card and getting the feeling he knew who she was talking about.

"His name was Yesung. I can bring you more information the next time we meet. I think he's in some sort of trouble. He wouldn't run away without letting me know. I was hoping since he seemed to be in contact with you, you might know something?" She asked him taking the card back and examining the blank look on Seung Hyun's face.

"What did he tell you?" Seung Hyun asked trying to buy him time to figure out what to say. He knew she cared about him, he was probably her only friend.

"Not much, but I know enough to apologize to you" She whispered, "You were telling me the truth and I stupidly ignored you. But we can talk about that when we find Yesung, I'm worried about him"

"Hyorin... about... 26 hours ago we found a body down by the river—" He began suddenly knowing that trying to beat around the bush wasn't going to make the news any easier to hear.

"Stop" She snapped, her body going rigid.

"I was called in late at night to identify it since my co-workers had seen him to meet me—" Seung Hyun began again.

"I called you to help me find him. To help me find a living, breathing man. Not a corpse. That's impossible" She insisted fiercely.

"He was murdered, I confirmed it myself" Seung Hyun kept going.

"No... That's not right. He was supposed to be safe. He told me that no one suspected him" She whispered to herself.

"I'm sorry" Seung Hyun offered as he watched the news crush her. She looked up at him her face void of emotions, except for the tears that rolled down her cheeks.

"I can't... I can't do this anymore" She whispered as she fell to her knees, "He shouldn't be dead... he was trying to save me. I got him killed, just like my mother... He loved me you know. He really did. I knew it before he told me, but I was selfish so I ignored it hoping that if we never talked about it we would stay friends. And then Jaejoong... and I lost control and I— I was blinded by what I thought he felt for me and I got him killed!" She finished gasping for a breath as guilt and remorse collided inside.

"It wasn't your fault" He said gently as he pulled her up, "You know the truth now and that's the most important thing he wanted to do for you"

"Did Jaejoong kill him?" She asked numbly.

"I don't know, it was a professional hit, there was absolutely no forensic trace left on him" Seung Hyun told her.

"He killed him didn't he? And then, he lied to me. Just like every time... it's all been a lie" She said, the full weight of the truth hitting her like  slap to the face.

"This time you're not alone though Hyorin, I promise I won't leave you alone and unlike Jaejoong, I'll give you the justice that your mother and Yesung need with your help" He promised, placing a firm hand on her shoulder.

~~~~~~

"What... are these couple baseball hats?" Hyorin asked in surprise as Jaejoong pulled out a bag from his car.

They were far from the hospital now and by a shopping mall.

"Yes. Couples wear this and go walking around shopping. Girls like shopping right? So I thought this would be a good date" He said happily as he pulled the pink hat out and placed it snugly on her head and pulled his out and placed it on his own.

"Are we even allowed to be on a date right now?" She asked him nervously.

"What they don't know won't hurt us" He replied proudly.

"So what? Lying is just the answer to everything? You think the truth won't ever catch up? Are you a god that you can get away with anything?" She asked darkly, his words like salt on an open wound.

He looked at her strangely and she knew she had made a mistake, but she wasn't a robot, she couldn't hide everything always, especially now.

"Maybe we should just go back then?" He said coldly, his own temper flaring.

"Sounds good to me" Hyorin snapped pulling off the stupid cap and slapping it on top of the trunk of the car.

"Stop" He ordered as he reached out and grabbed her arm.

"What?" Hyorin muttered angrily.

"Is something wrong? Did the kid lash out at you again at the hospital?" He asked, trying to figure out why she was acting like this and trying to be more understanding of her by calming himself down.

"I want to go home" She said, avoiding his searching gaze.

"...It'll be ok I planned a good night for us. After this you'll be in a better mood" Jaejoong said as he pulled her along.

"I don't want to do this now. I want to go! Please" She added at the end.

"Fine" He snapped angrily. Throwing the hats to the floor and getting back in the car angrily.

Hyorin looked at where the hats laid on the floor and held back the flood of feelings that came up. She wouldn't have made it through a date with him.

That night they both laid quietly in her bed. He had refused to leave and so now they laid as far apart from each other as they could get without falling over.

"I'm sorry" He whispered into the darkness.

"For what?" She whispered quietly.

"I don't know, but I'm sorry" He repeated.

"You're an idiot" She answered quietly, picturing his face in her mind.

She slowed down her breathing and relaxed her body until she felt his body do the same. Even then she waited another 30 minutes without moving.

"Jaejoong? I need to tell you something" She whispered into the night, "Are you awake?" She whispered once again.

Calling his name a few more times until she was satisfied he was asleep she slid off the bed and tip toed to his side. Carefully she reached for his coat on the floor, looking through the pockets until her fingers touched the cool plastic she was looking for. Grabbing the long sweater she had deliberately left by the door she winced as she pulled the door open just a crack and slipped out. Closing it silently she finally allowed herself to breath as she pulled on the long sweater and walked cautiously to the staircase, holding his ID card in one hand.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You know... I was actually gonna make the part with the hats alot worse for Jaejoong complete with throwing his cute little hats in his face, harsh words and everything, but then In Heaven came up on my ipod and I just felt bad... xD

Thanks for subscribing/reading/commenting ^^