Know Where To Look

Shadows In His Heart

 

He only felt the pierce of the bullet through his chest before he fell to his knees. As he instinctively brought up a hand to his chest, he was surprised at how it didn't hurt as much as he would have imagined. The strength to stay on his knees diminished quickly and he fell forward, coughing faintly to get rid of the blood building up in the back of his throat. With the little effort he had he looked up. It was dark and he could only make out the silhouette of a man standing over him,  the long silver barrel of his gun pointing straight for his head.

He closed his eyes, no memories flashed past like people said, Instead it was lonely and dark in his mind. As he wondered when he would be put out of his misery the shot rang out and with it took his life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the third day Hyorin decided that something had gone very wrong. She stood in her shower, the water loud and restless as it poured down and furrowed her brow, trying to come up with answers. This was time in which she didn't have to hide what she felt or keep a sickeningly happy expression. Yesung had told her they would talk soon and yet here she was three days later with no contact from him. Every time she had gone to his room or office it would be locked, dark, and empty.

Anxiety ran through her body as she tried to figure what to do. Without Yesung she was alone and it wasn't like she could exactly uncover the secrets this place had while she was with Jaejoong.

Jaejoong... her body shivered and she got out of the shower. She was still very confused and angry. Having to act like everything was alright with him protected him in her heart. It gave her mind a chance to go along with that illusion and she hated it. As she got dressed she spotted the bruise she had just gotten earlier today. It was carelessness on her part as she messed up and let Jaejoong make contact with her leg during training. It was already turning purple...

For what seemed like the hundredth time she knocked on the door to Yesung's office. She wanted to walk about, but instead she knocked some more, each time getting louder and more urgent. He wouldn't have gone anywhere for this long without letting her know. Especially after what he had told her.

"I don't think he's in" Jaejoong's voice chimed as she pulled her arm back to knock once again.

"I'm worried..." She began hesitantly, trying to find the right words, "I think something's wrong" She said to him as she followed the nod of his head and walked alongside him, sparing one last look towards his closed door.

"What is it?" He asked leisurely, hands in his pocket.

"Yesung's missing" She said firmly, keeping a sharp eye for any reaction within him. Had he found out what Yesung had done.

"He can't be missing, how do you know?" Jaejoong answered calmly.

"It's been three days and every time I go see him, he's not there. There's something wrong" She insisted, looking up into his eyes, searching for any truths that might be hidden there.

"... I heard he talked to the boss about leaving, maybe he just left. You know, because you turned him down" He answered, trying to seem calm.

"He wouldn't leave without saying goodbye" Hyorin told him as Jaejoong pushed open the door to the familiar white room that she visited monthly.

"He would if he knew that his love had been turned down for a person who he hates" He replied.

"...I guess... what you're saying makes sense" She agreed quietly knowing inside that it was the last reason that Yesung would leave her behind.

"Don't worry Hyorin. What he does no longer concerns you " Jaejoong said softly as she took a seat and he pulled out a vial and a syringe, "he's probably better off"

"She didn't answer as she took a seat and watched as Jaejoong took a sample of her blood and put it in that small vial like usual, except now she knew that it a lie. Still, she had to play her part.

"Should we run away too?" She asked him quietly, the question unable to stay inside of her as she watched him cap her blood and date it.

He turned to face her, taking in the expression on her face.

"We could you know... leave and get new identities and just try to start new lives. I wouldn't mind leaving Korea and we could—" She began, offering him a way out. If he agreed now... she would go.

"We can't" Jaejoong said cutting her off. These were dangerous thoughts she was having. If her father got wind of this... she would be in danger. He couldn't risk that.

She didn't want to think that the reason he didn't want to leave might be because it would mean risking his mission and that it might be the reason why he pretended to love her. She didn't want to wonder if the concern he showed on his face was real as she allowed her sadness to show in her face. He froze as guilt ran through him. Would it really be such a bad idea to run away with her he wondered. He saw the disappointment in her face. Since when had she been so unhappy? He was just trying to find a way to keep her safe and happy.

Hyorin reached out and locked her arms around him trying to memorize this warm feeling between them.

"Do you love me?" She asked him in a whisper.

"More than anything... " He murmured as he held her tightly.

"Swear it" Hyorin said.

"I swear to you I love you Hyorin" He replied honestly.

"I love you too. I love you so much Jaejoong" She whispered as an image of Yesung came up.

"Yesung is fine" He lied, "Don't be sad. Later, I could take you out to dinner. We've never really done that. I never take you anywhere..." He trailed off, regrets popping up in his mind one by one.

"Ok, I'll see you after you deliver that then?" She said with a small smile.

"Yeah" He answered simply as he placed a soft kiss on her forehead and with one last smile that sent her heart racing he walked off.

She stood in place as she counted down from five. Then she quickly stepped out of the room and raced down the hallways, stopping short as she turned the corner and spied Jaejoong getting into an elevator. Her heart pounded loudly as the doors closed behind him and she rushed over to see that it was headed to the basement. Without missing a beat she turned and ran for the staircase, racing down as if her life depended on it. Which in a way, it did. Their training had made her fast so she wasn't tired as she reached the basement a moment before the elevator did.

It was dark, but it was no big problem for her eye sight. She pressed her body into the shadows created by the large basement, a large pipe in front of her making her hiding place that much better. She had never been much of a believer, but in this moment she prayed that he wouldn't find her. Whether it was her own skills or something else she didn't know as he walked past her and went to the far end. Moving a large box out of the way he ran his  hand down a wall and a small panel slid open revealing a small scanner. He held up his ID card as it got scanned and what looked like a normal wall slide open to reveal a bright and shiny steel elevator. With a serious look on his face he stepped in and the wall closed once again.

After she was sure he was gone she neared the place where the elevator had been. Careful not to touch anything she examined it carefully. If she hadn't seen it herself she might have never believe because there were no signs of what she was sure she had seen. This was where her blood went to every month... There was no way in at the moment Hyorin decided quickly as she turned and ran for the stairs.

As if nothing had happened she ran up to her room, the way up making her breathless. She didn't know what to do Hyorin decided as she paced in her room. There were no other sounds but the echoes of her steps. She didn't know what possessed her to, but she went over to her drawers and pulled out the DVD case Yesung had gotten her so long ago. She must've seen this drama thousands of times, the words etched into her mind. It was the only thing she had left from Yesung. She pulled it open, surprised when a small card fell out.

With a small frown she reached down and noticed it was a business card. She read the back first, in blue pen the word "call" was written, her heart nearly stopped as she turned the card and read the front. With a panicked hurry she moved to her sock drawer, searching for the pair of old socks rolled up in the very back. Her hands trembled as she undid them and the same card, only folded and wrinkled, fell out.

Yesung was working with Seung Hyun... or at least, he had met him because he had left his card for her to find. That's right Hyorin remembered feeling stupid, Seung Hyun had tried to tell her. Remembering that Jaejoong was on his way back she placed both card in those old socks and carefully pushed them all the way to the back.

She had to find a way to contact him. If anything, he might be able to help her find Yesung.

~~~~~~~~~

Seung Hyun laid in bed as his phone rang in the middle of the night.

He had a bad feeling even as he woke up and tiredly sat up. With a groan he looked at the clock to find he had only been asleep for an hour. Gritting his teeth he reached for his phone, cursing loudly when instead of grabbing it, his fingertips caused it to fall to the ground with a loud thud. With a loud yawn he wondered if it wouldn't be better to just leave it and go back to bed. But when it started ringing again he knew it couldn't be helped.

"Hyung? Hyung are you there?!" His friend asked in a worried tone.

"What?" He answered, suppressing yet another yawn.

"We found a body down by the river...." He began.

"So? We don't handle every single homicide in the country. I just got home!" Seung Hyun snapped, rubbing his eyes tiredly. Sometimes the things he was called on...

"We need a positive ID, but I think it's that guys that came in to talk to you a couple of times. I think... yeah, Yesung?" He asked himself.

Seung Hyun felt his heart sink. Yet another lead had been so quickly eliminated. Every time he got close to catching a break his witnesses or informants all seemed to go missing. He had told Yesung to not go back and now this had happened. Ignoring the silent plead of his body to stay in bed and get some much needed sleep he got out of bed and noticing he hadn't even changed out of his work clothes to begin with, he grabbed some clean ones and threw them in a small duffle bag.

"I'll be there in 15 minutes" He said.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the long wait, it's been a weirdly stressful past few weeks for me mixed with some writer's block too. I swear I've come up with like 15 different directions this story could take and all of them seem stupid T^T But I got a little inspired tonight so I wrote a lot ^^ But I'm gonna space it out into separate chapters =) Also just to let you guys know (thought it'll be obvious XD) I'm changing the rating of my fic to not mature since I really don't have that much (I think it's only one chapter?) and... I just recently figured out I could do that... I swear I'm smarter than that, I just seemed to have been completely just... i don't even know -_-"

Anyways, thanks for reading/commenting/subscribing