Love Hurts

Shadows In His Heart

Yesung walked to Hyorin's room, surprised that she had called him over since she usually just popped in and out of his office at random times. He was glad that she had called though he realized, a warm feeling in his chest as he got closer and closer. He knocked on her door and he heard her as she ran to the door, a somewhat relieved yet nervous expression on her face as she pulled him inside and locked the door behind him quickly.

"I need your help" Hyorin blurted out.

"Is something wrong?" He asked worriedly.

"No. I mean yes. I mean... I don't know anymore" She spoke honestly, coming to the resolution that she would tell Yesung the truth about everything.

"Yesung, what I'm about to tell you, you can't let anyone know that you know alright? You've got to swear to me that no matter what you'll keep what I'm going to tell you a secret" She said seriously as she walked up to him and gripped his hand nervously. She knew what she dragging him into and she was scared that he would get hurt in the process. But she had no choice. She needed his help.

"I promise" He answered immediately.

Hyorin nodded and before she could convince herself not to say another word, she began by telling him about how her mother was killed, the drug experiments, everything that had supposedly happened. She told him everything. Including how she had gotten kidnapped and how she had escaped.

"Why didn't you stay and at least look at the proof he claimed he had?" Yesung asked shortly after she finished talking.

"It was my only chance to escape" She began as she paced nervously, "Besides, I figured if there really was some kind of conspiracy then it'd be better for me to come back here anyways and get proof for myself and Yesung, as pathetic as it is, my whole life is this place" She admitted shamefully.

"...I wasn't judging you. Don't worry we'll figure this out. I need to get into your file then, maybe there's more information there. I do think there's something to Seung Hyun's claims Hyorin. I mean, it is a little weird that yours is the only file that was even locked" Yesung said, thinking out loud.

"It was?" Hyorin asked in surprise.

"Yeah, but it could just be a precaution. I'll have to hack in from an external location. It'll take some time, but I know I can do it. Let me ask you though, if it turns out that what that man says is the truth. What are you going to do?" He asked her as she paced in front of him and suddenly came to a stop.

"Whatever I have to do to finally put a stop to everything" She whispered.

"I'll do some research then. I feel like your mother's case isn't the only one, maybe we can link it to others and get a bigger picture of what we're dealing with. You should try to stay away from Jaejoong as much as possible" He announced as he headed to the door.

"I can't I have to at least try to get some answers out of him or some sort of explanation" Hyorin explained.

"He won't tell you the truth, it makes no sense" Yesung replied tensely.

"I know, but Jaejoong knows that Seung Hyun told me some things so if nothing else I have to get his side of things and pretend I believe everything so that he won't be suspicious...speaking of Jaejoong I need one more piece of advice" Hyorin said avoiding his gaze.

"Sure, what is it?" Yesung asked curiously.

"I think that... I think I might be having some feelings for Jaejoong..." Hyorin trailed off glancing quickly at his face, void of any emotion before she continued, "I mean like romantic... no, I just I don't know"

"Hide them" He answered quickly.

"I know, I want to, but it's hard and I wonder if maybe... if I told him how I felt—" Hyorin began.

"No!" Yesung exclaimed as he walked over to her and gripped her arms painfully tight, "You're probably confused Hyorin, it must be all the stress you're going through, plus that kidnapping thing and now all these doubts..."

"I-I don't think that's it. I'm sorry this is probably really awkward for you right?" She whispered, surprised and confused at Yesung's sudden change in attitude.

"Hyorin, that guy, what could you possibly see in him?!" Yesung asked through gritted teeth, his grip tightening on her arms, causing her to wince.

"Yesung... let go of me" She urged.

He ignored her, the only thing he could really hear was the incredibly loud pounding of his heart against his chest and the panic at what she was saying to him and what it meant. Not only was she in love with Jaejoong, but to have told Yesung about it... she must've really never seen him as anything more than a friend and it ate him up inside. She tried to step back from him and he merely followed her as she stumbled into her dresser. A small bottle of perfume tipped off the edge and shattered on  the ground.

", I have to clean it up" Hyorin said loudly hoping to snap some sense into Yesung.

"Forget him" He muttered under his breath.

"I can't I have to clean up the bottle, I could step on glass later!" She urged as she struggled more forcefully in his arms, failing to hear what he had really said.

"I said forget HIM, forget what you think you might be feeling Hyorin" Yesung said louder, looking up and meeting her eyes, "Why would you even think that way about him when I'm here? I don't get you. Are you really that blind to my feelings?" He asked as he saw realization dawn in her eyes.

"Oh god, Yesung, I... I didn't know. I mean how could I? I thought we were friends. I can't, I just... I don't feel that way" Hyorin answered guiltily, feeling stupid for being so inconsiderate with him. She shouldn't have said anything, she just... she had no clue.

He released her arms and pulled her into one of those warm embraces that she had grown to cherish. A last grasp at a string of hope that they both knew he didn't have. She felt her heart break for him and guilt ate her up inside. This wasn't fair. He tangled a hand in her hair and brought her closer, perhaps hoping to push the feelings that were bursting out of his heart into hers. Trying to make her search for some sort of feeling for him. He pulled back suddenly only to see her eyes downcast and away from him.

He let her go then. Almost as if her touch itself reminded him of the rejection his heart felt all too much. Her hands played with a loose string on her shirt as she struggled to say something.

"I'm sorry" Yesung whispered, running a hand through his hair. What was he doing? He knew, he knew he had always been just a friend. He was the one that had allowed himself to feel more, it wasn't her fault.

"No, don't be. I... I wish... that I could like you like that" Hyorin said gently, "You have no clue how much I want to, but I just... don't" She finished as she tried to search for any trace of the fire that she had felt when Jaejoong had kissed her. Instead her body was muted, her nerves were dead... she didn't feel anything, but a love she knew was nothing more than for a friend.

He opened his mouth to apologize once again when his words were cut off by a loud forceful knock on her door. A bitter smile made its way onto his face as he met Hyorin's eyes, which were now filling with guilt induced tears. He shook his head quietly.

"I'll find you if I get any new information" He said instead of all the things he wanted to say.

Yesung walked towards the door and pulled the door open. At least taking a bit of solace in the shocked look on Jaejoong's face. He left the door slightly ajar as he brushed past the man that Yesung hated most in the world and forced himself to keep walking. Even though he knew it was a bit cruel, he was determined to find something. Even if it wasn't as big as that Seung Hyun guy made it seem to be, he knew Jaejoong had to have done something wrong and eventually something was going to snap Hyorin into leaving this place.

Jaejoong didn't have time to hide the surprise on his face as he saw Yesung walked out calmly from Hyorin's room. He took a second to compose himself before he pushed the door and walked in. Hyorin was standing in front of her dresser, gripping the edges tightly. Jaejoong noticed her messy hair and the bruises on her arms and for a second his mind went blank. She looked up at him, her eyes full of conflict as she let out a breath and pushed herself off the dresser and walked to the door.

"What happened?" Jaejoong asked as he grabbed her wrist firmly and stopped her from going after Yesung.

"Nothing, what do you want?" She muttered as she pulled her wrist form his hold and forced herself to not run after Yesung. This wasn't the time, he probably needed some time alone she realized.

"Did he do something to you? Just tell me and I'll make sure he never gets near you again" Jaejoong said in all seriousness, trying to figure out what had just happened.

"No, if anyone did anything it was me. So just move on Jaejoong this is none of your business. What did you want?" Hyorin demanded as she tried to move away from him. .

"Those bruises on your arm, he put them there right?" Jaejoong asked, his temper quickly rising.

"He didn't hurt me!" She yelled at him.

"Well then you have to give me some sort of explanation as to why I walked in here and you look... like that and he just calmly walks out?!" Jaejoong asked angrily.

"Why?! Do I owe you anything when you never bother to explain anything to me?!" She asked him, too many things on her mind and his very presence was just... overwhelming right now.

"Those are two different things" He responded swiftly.

"That's what you always say! For once, just trust me! Tell me why that man had pictures of me and my mother, explain to me why he was so damn confident in that proof he had!" She yelled, her head pounding, her shoulder aching from the gunshot wound and her eyes burning.

"... I can't" Jaejoong answered coldly.

"You can't?! Why? Why is it that I'm always forced to tell you everything? Why is it that you get to know almost everything about me, but I don't know a single thing about you or even what goes on in this damn building?!" Hyorin yelled out feeling that tightening feeling in her chest getting worse and worse.

"It isn't your place to know" He answered.

"My place... what is my place then Jaejoong? Because it really seems to me like I don't have one here. I don't know why I came back! I should have stayed with Seung Hyun, I'm such a coward, I thought I would get answers. I trusted you to give them to me!" She whispered backing away from him.

"Hyorin calm down" Jaejoong said gently, reaching out for her.

"Don't get any closer. Please, you... I really hate you. All of this is because of you" She whispered as she looked to her white ceiling and fought to keep all her feelings bottled away. It was his fault. His fault that she had come back, his fault she had hurt Yesung, his fault she wouldn't see the truth, his fault that she hated herself for the feelings she had.

"I... care about you. It wasn't supposed to happen, but I do" Jaejoong said, fighting to push those words from inside of him out. He didn't want to say them, it made him weak. And yet... hearing him tell him she hated him bothered him and infinite times more.

"Did you guys have anything to with my mother's death?" She asked outright, ignoring the confession he was making.

"No" Jaejoong answered automatically. Another part of him wishing he could tell her that her mother's death was a casualty. She wasn't meant to die, but then again that really didn't change anything.

"Even if you've never kept your word before, promise me that this is the truth and I'll stop suspecting you" Hyorin asked quietly, deciding that this was enough. Her feelings had already taken control of too much of this conversation. Like she had told Yesung, even if she got an answer she needed to make Jaejoong believe that she believed him.

"I promise" He answered a bit too quickly. Wanting to get over this moment that he knew she would remember for a long time.

"Fine, I'll let it go" She answered hoping she looked like she had given in.

"I want answers too then" Jaejoong demanded, he was pushing it, but he didn't care.

"Answers to what? There's nothing you don't already know right?" She asked bitterly.

"...Can you really say you don't feel anything towards me?" Jaejoong asked bluntly.

"Yes. Jaejoong maybe you've misunderstood the way I've acted towards you, but you're really nothing more than someone I work with. The type of person you are... I don't think I could ever really love someone like that" She said firmly, lying through her teeth as she met his eyes, "You murdered the woman you loved, I could never feel anything for a monster like that" She finished, the last of her tears finally dripping off her face as she forced herself to look into his eyes.

"You must be so proud since you think you know what type of person I am don't you? Remember this moment, because I won't let you ever take it back Hyorin. What happened with Yu Jin is my business and my business alone. I had my reasons and if you really believe what that told you then you keep on being a stupid " He seethed as he turned from her and slammed the door so hard that she felt the walls around her shake in response.

Hyorin stared at the door and  let out a deep breath. Today, she had managed to hurt the two people she cared most about in the world and still she was as clueless as she was when she had woken up. She was scared of Jaejoong, but not that he would hurt her or that he would kill her, she was scared of what he made her feel. Because even while they fought, she wanted to do nothing else but to walk into his arms and have him comfort her. She wanted to ignore the doubt she felt and kiss him one more time and hold him in her arms. She really wanted to take back what she said to him, but she couldn't now. She was really alone she realized. Maybe it was that thought that made her look for Jaejoong three days later. He was like a bad drug that she just couldn't walk away from.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Sorry for the long chapter! I couldn't find a place to cut it into two so now there's just a big chapter... ^___^" At least I updated on time.... I think? So I know it's rated M and some ppl probably expected a little more... mature content to this fic and yes, it's already chapter 18 BUT it's coming I just wanted to work my way to it and have more of a stoyline rather than just , , . It will be worth it!

I appreciate all you guys that have been patient and still read/subscribe/comment on this fic (despite my somewhat faulty rating) =D

p.s. To those who are in this for TOP I swear he seems like a minor character, but has like a wholeeee bunch of chapters devoted solely to him coming up in the near future of my fic! I just wanted to put that out there