Side Effects

Shadows In His Heart

Hyorin ducked fast barely missing the hand that headed straight for her. She quickly scrambled back up and ran to put a distance between herself and Jaejoong. He scoffed at her cowardice and ran to her once again. The long wooden pole in his other hand just itching to make contact with her skin once again. Hyorin once again tried the evading technique she so heavily relied on. She realized her mistake as soon as she spotted the glint of triumph in his eyes. The end of the wooden stick cracked against her back, knocking the breath out of her and sending her sprawling to the ground with a loud grunt.

"What did I tell you?" He reminded her as he walked back to the racks and placed the damn stick back in its rightful place

"Always keep an eye on the opponent, go for the unexpected, and... keep my balance at all times" She answered as she pushed herself back up. She wondered why when she put so much effort she always seemed to end up beat up and on the ground.

"That's your problem, you're too predictable" He scolded as he grabbed a towel and threw it at her feet, "Ten minutes"

She didn't waste any time as she grabbed the towel and ran straight for the showers.

Jaejoong had been acting strangely today. It wasn't even obvious it was just... the little things? Hyorin couldn't put her finger on it, but something just felt weird to her. She tried to figure out if something was going on, but aside from it being the fifteenth again, then she really couldn't come up with an answer.

She followed him quietly once again, her eyes widening slightly when she spotted Jessica leaving the hospital like room, her head bandaged and her arm in a splint. A man, the usual doctor she supposed, stepped out right after giving them only a nod as he left them the room once again. She couldn't help it as she turned her head and watched her walk away. She had barely spared them a glance, but it looked like she had been seriously hurt. Hyorin knew that Jessica was among the more experienced of the women here and so she wondered with a prickling of nerves just who would be talented enough to cause that much damage to her.

Jaejoong turned his back to her as he set up the medical tray. Hyorin felt the tense atmosphere around her as she sat with a plain white short sleeved shirt. She was just about to ask what was taking so long as he finally turned around pulling the tray behind him. On it rested two syringes. One was the usual, for taking her blood but the other was smaller and filled with a bright blue liquid that struck a twinge of fear inside of her.

"What is that?" She asked quietly as she subconsciously pulled her once extended arm closer to her body.

"... It's a serum, it will send these pathogens into your body that will enhance your physical abilities" He answered truthfully as he took in her expression of apprehension.

"Ah, it's part of the experiment that my... er, that man told me about right? The one my mother was working on?" Hyorin asked him as she eyed the almost fake looking syringe, "Is this really going to help people?" She asked him.

"Yes" Jaejoong lied. The tiniest twinge of guilt as he realized how naive she was.

"I guess since it was what my mother tried to defend until the end then it must be helpful right?" She asked more to herself as she let out a small nervous laugh, "Are there any risks?" Hyorin asked, looking up into his eyes that betrayed no emotion.

"Only some dizziness, I'll be monitoring you for the next 48 hours" He answered as he grabbed her arm and cleaned the area where he would be drawing blood.

"You'll be monitoring be for dizziness?" She asked suspiciously.

"Yes" He answered simply as he stuck the needle into her arm and drew the blood. She in air as she looked at her blood flowing into the syringe, "You don't have to take the serum" He said suddenly, as he put the blood into a vial and dated it.

Hyorin gave him a strange look as she once again eyed the blue liquid. Shouldn't he be pushing her to take it? She suddenly felt a little sick, why was he asking her that? Jaejoong watched all these thoughts run past her face and mentally kicked himself. Why the hell was he saying such nonsense?

"I think I do. Let's just get it over with, I mean, what's a little dizziness?" She joked, somehow feeling like dizziness might be the least of her worries.

She surprised him with her new found courage, it was clear that she was scared. He nodded as he once again took her arm. With a slow precision he cleaned it once again, exactly half an inch below the first injection. He grabbed the blue liquid and watched as she slowly closed her eyes. For the first time in his life Jaejoong hesitated for a fraction of a second before he inserted the needle into her skin. He watched with a small almost unnoticeable frown on his face, as the blue serum rushed into her body.

"Oh it wasn't that-" She began before she collapsed forward.

With reflexes faster than she realized he had he let the old syringe fall to the ground as he rushed to grab her shoulders, an angry frown making its way onto his face as he watched her look up at him sheepishly.

"I was kidding..." Hyorin said apologetically as he suddenly let her go. He was angry, she could tell. She didn't mean to make him it's just that... she had bad timing when she got nervous.

"Stay in your room for the next 48 hrs, only go out to eat so I don't have to waste time looking for you" He snapped as he picked up the fallen syringe and placed the vial of blood into his pocket, "If you feel anything's off then come look for me" He said as he left her without another word.

Hyorin sat there for a few moments longer, his hands weren't cold today she thought randomly. She wiggled her feet slightly before standing up. Taking a couple of deep breaths she walked toward her room, reassuring herself that she felt fine and contemplating what she would do in her room for the next 48 hours. Suddenly, she felt very lonely. It was weird, being 17 years old and not having any friends. She shook her head. Letting thoughts like those in were dangerous, it made her want to run away.

He checked up on her once every hour, though he had been told that after the first 6 the chances of her reacting badly to the drug were almost nonexistent. It was midnight now and she had finally gone to bed. Jaejoong walked into her room, she stirred when he flipped on the lights. He walked over to her sleeping form and looked down on her to make sure everything was fine. Her hair was sprawled all around her and hung slightly open as she laid comfily in her blankets. He stood there and shook himself. What was he doing watching some whiny teenager sleep? Not that he was much older himself, but still. He took one last look at her and told himself that it would be fine if he just checked on her tomorrow morning.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I'm enjoying updating this fic alot... XD Hence the double update in a day thing so I need to go work on my other fic before I end up like posting ten chapters of this one by Friday =_= Thanks to everyone that's reading!

Subscribe and comment! (^-^)