A Hidden Darkness

Shadows In His Heart

Yesung walked into the large conference room filled with computer screens and men diligently working away at their laptops, hoping to find the source of the hack. A few of them gave him a nod of acknowledgement, but other than that no more words were exchanged. He had already been briefed on the situation now he sat behind his screen, trying to track down what he had worked hard to make sure was untraceable. He was confident, maybe a little too much in this part of his plan. Regardless, he kept a mindful watch on the time. He had a meeting he couldn't be late to.

After tonight, he hoped that he might finally understand everything that's going on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hyorin was startled as she pulled open her door and Jaejoong walked in briskly, dressed in pure black and his body tight with tension.

"Get ready we have a mission" He announced to her as he took the liberty to open her closet.

"So soon? We've barely had time to train lately" She answered, catching the clothes he threw back at her and quickly changing into them in her bathroom.

"A situation's come up and now they're pushing things to go faster" He explained, hiding the worry inside. Pushing things to go faster was an understatement, things were in over-drive at the moment. It was because of that damn security breach.

"Is it because of that hacking thing? What did they find to cause all this uproar?" She asked him curiously.

"Something important. They didn't tell me what" Jaejoong answered, avoiding her gaze, "But we have to go. So come on"

Hyorin followed him down, their pace at a near run as Jaejoong explained to her how their mission was going to be carried out. Since Hyorin hadn't been given any time, this mission she was going to have to follow Jaejoong around carefully since she didn't even know the layout of the house they were going to be breaking into.

They finally arrived to the black SUV and Hyorin froze as she pulled the door open and saw why Jaejoong had gotten into the passenger's seat. Chae Rim greeted her with a smirk and Jaejoong said nothing as he slammed the door shut. Hyorin swallowed her angry words and slammed her own door shut. She had told him that she didn't want to have to work with that crazy woman and yet here she was once again. Why on earth did she always have to be around?! Even during their missions she had to be involved? Her eyes stung, not from sadness, but from anger and her inability to say anything. Instead, she sat in the back, her fists clenched tight, burning a hole with her angry stare on the back of Jaejoong's head. Suddenly, Hyorin reached for a brown folder resting in the middle of the car. Jaejoong's reaction was only a fraction of a second late before she took the folder.

"Put that down" He ordered sternly.

Hyorin ignored him as she opened the folder and looked through what she figured was their target. He was man in his 40s, married, with a young son of 8 years. She frowned as she noticed his occupation was of a world-renowned geneticists and microbiologist. Why did they need him?

"Are you going to kill him?" She asked firmly once Jaejoong had turned to pull the folder from her grasp.

"No. This is not that type of mission, I promise we're just here to take some documents and leave" Jaejoong told her.

"What? Don't tell me you don't have the guts to kill someone?" Chae Rim piped up as they neared their destination, a mocking tone clear as day.

"There's nothing wrong with not wanting to take someone's life" Hyorin defended.

"You're in the wrong business then. You're nothing but a burden like this. A defenseless and naive burden at that too. You need a wakeup call" She replied, the car slowing down.

"Why the hell are you even here for?" Hyorin snapped.

"Jaejoong called me. You two need my help" She said arrogantly.

"She's the best when it comes to state of the art security systems and safes" Jaejoong cut in.

Hyorin shut and waited as the car pulled off by a dark forest, an awkward silence hanging heavily in the air. They got out, Chae Rim carrying a small duffle bag that tinkled with metallic objects inside. The large house was on a large piece of property lined by thick and leafy trees, a bad moves in terms of security. The night was near pitch black and Hyorin had a bad feeling as she watched Chae Rim crouch and connect this small phone like device to the house's high tech lock. Hyorin turned away, aware where the cameras were and walked away, she needed to clear her head before they actually went in.

"Hyorin" Jaejoong called, noticing that she had walked off and following her into the thick of the trees, away from Chae Rim's earshot.

"I'm not going anywhere, relax" She answered tensely.

"We couldn't afford to have any errors tonight, we needed someone with more lock expertise" Jaejoong explained to her, noticing how tense and uncomfortable she was.

"And there was no one else?!" Hyorin asked.

"No one as good" Jaejoong told her as he walked closer.

"I asked you to not put us together again! You promised" She said exasperatedly, Jaejoong just didn't seem to get it. Maybe it was because he had been in this line of business for too long, but something was wrong with Chae Rim. There was something about her that scared Hyorin so much.

"This is for a job, just be professional about it" He said sternly, immediately regretting just dismissing her feelings like that. He knew better.

"For a job... am I not more important than a job then? If you so desperately needed her help then you didn't need me, there are others more experienced and skilled" She told him, knowing that it was stupid to fight over this at a time like this. Was Chae Rim done yet? They should go back.

"No. Chae Rim I don't care about, but you, I absolutely need you with me" He said seriously as he grasped her wrist and pulled her closer.

"Let's just get this over with" Hyorin answered annoyed as she pulled her wrist from his hold angrily.

"Thank you. Just remember, Chae Rim... she's really nothing to me. I don't know what goes on in her crazy mind, but I only really need you. No matter what happens... it will always be you" He whispered, holding himself back from embracing her.

"It's just—" Hyorin began before she stopped suddenly. She had heard something, "Let's go back to the door, I'm sure Chae Rim is finished" She said suddenly, confusing Jaejoong and fighting the sick feeling in her stomach that told her to get away. Suddenly the dark seemed much more menacing and vengeful.

They got back to a waiting Chae Rim a serious look on her face. Hyorin told herself that she was finally being serious, but still... there was something hidden behind those eyes of hers. She looked to Jaejoong who didn't seem to notice anything amiss and motioned for them to enter. It was the dead of night and so the family was in a deep sleep as they silently removed some glass to unlock the back door and snuck in. He seemed to know where they were heading as he led them through the house to a large studio. Hyorin stared in wonder at the walls lined with books and small trinkets.

And then there it was, a large silver safe hidden cautiously in the wall and behind a large picture frame. Jaejoong watched over Chae Rim as she got to work. Hyorin had to admit the woman was exceptional at what she did. The front door lock had been a breeze to her and the safe seemed to only be taking a couple minutes and still she didn't even look worried.

"Dad?" Asked a small and soft sleepy voice from behind them as the lights suddenly flickered on and all three stood up in shock and turned to watch a small boy walk in, a small stuffed dinosaur in his arms.

"Where's my dad?" Asked the boy cutting through the silence first. Hyorin turned to Jaejoong and Chae Rim, both with an equally shocked look on their faces.

"W-who are you?" Hyorin asked him quietly.

"I'm going to get my mom!" He called out loudly, watching them in fear.

"Wait! Please I promise we won't hurt you, right?" Hyorin said urgently as she locked eyes with Jaejoong who nodded in agreement.

"He's seen our faces" Chae Rim said, a blank look on her face.

"He's a little boy. By this time tomorrow he probably won't remember anything about tonight" Hyorin answered quickly and defensively as she stepped between the boy and Chae Rim.

"I want to go to my mom and dad" Whined the small boy, his bottom lip suddenly trembling and his eyes filling with tears.

"We can't get sloppy just because she has a weak stomach Jaejoong, take her outside and I can take care of this" Chae Rim said coldly as she straightened out determinedly.

"No. Absolutely not. Hyorin take him to his room and make sure he stays there. There's no need to harm the child" Jaejoong said, his tone final.

Chae Rim clenched her jaw and turned back to focus on the safe angrily. Hyorin nodded quickly, not needing any more incentive as she turned back to the boy and quickly picked him up and took him out of the room into the hallway, wanting to get him as far away from the study as fast as she could.

"Shh... Please be quiet" Hyorin begged as she fought to remember the layout of the house and hoped she was taking him in the right direction.

"Are you thieves?" He asked quietly as he hiccupped back small sobs.

"...Yes, but we're not here to hurt you or your parents, just please go back to bed quietly" She said, hoping that he would listen to her.

"...promise if I'm quiet nothing bad will happen?" He asked, his big brown eyes looking up at her.

"Yes, I promise " She answered with a smile and opened the door to what she hoped was his bedroom.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Thanks for being so understanding guys! ^__^ I had some time tonight while discovering new music and I decided to write up a long chapter which I split into two because it was just too long. I figured at the very least I should get this posted up before I head off to study tonight. It would be a waste to leave it sitting in my computer (i'm extremely forgetful...)

Thanks for reading, subscribing, and commenting =D