Final Chapter

I'M WITH YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyomin's POV

It's a cold December morning and a Saturday; I am familiarizing myself on directions, retracing the road to where my parents' were.

It felt so good to finally be able to see the outside world again.

 It's as though I was locked up in some chamber for a long time that I have this wonderment in everything I see outside, that of a kid.

I love morning drives and all the wonders that come with it. The deep blue to purple to pink and orange mixture of the sun's spectrum as it dawns humanity once more.

Morning drives clear my mind, although technically speaking my mind was as clear as a freshly pressed bond paper.

There's nothing in it.

Anyway, it was two weeks since I woke up from that dreaded slumber. The past days were filled with doctor appointments, check-ups and driving lessons.

Yes, driving lessons again because uncle doesn't want to be so sure; it even took me an hour of persuasion and promises that I'll be extra careful for him to allow me to drive to Umma and Appa's today.

 I parked my bike near the mausoleum and tugged my leather jacket tighter as the breeze of six in the morning got colder.I opened the gates and there they are still looking happy, embracing each other.

I lit up a candle and I was silent the whole time but my mind echoed all the things I wanted to tell them. It's just, it's all mixed up into a messy tray for me to sift through to try and make sense of anything. But then, I sighed giving up to the thought of constructing a momentous speech and just blurted out whatever comes on my mind.

"Umma, Appa. You know I almost died a month ago. You see, I was the wrong person at the wrong place and on the wrong time. Funny right? Everything was negated so it equaled to a positive outcome, because I positively almost lost my life. I know you'd be upset hearing this from me since I didn't get the chance to visit you often and I'm sorry. But I'm okay now, I lost part of my memories but I'm coping. Although as much possible I don't try and remember any of them imperatively. Uncle told me that if it didn't come back naturally I should be okay with it and just move on. He told me to not force things and let it come fluidly like water, and naturally like breathing… I miss you Umma, Appa and I love you so much. I'll visit again soon."

 

Jiyeon’s POV

"Jiyeon?"

"Yep?"

"Are sure you aren't wasting your life?" Eunjung unnie asked accusingly as I pack my things

"Unnie, I am trying to move on, and I won't be able to that here. You know that this place is Hyomin unnie's territory. And it will stay like that forever. I need to get away from it, if I wanted to have a new start."

"Just curious how were you able to let her go? It's not so you..."

"What's that supposed to mean? That I'm clingy and selfish?"

"I just didn't thought you're a - - a quitter."

"I am not quitting..."

"Then what do you call this? You gave her a letter of what? Letting her go? Setting her free? So that maybe you could free her from the curse? When you should've given her some video of you talking to her introducing yourself like what Adam Sandler did for Drew Barrymore?!"

She exasperated collapsing on the bed beside my huge suitcase. I laughed at her.

"We're not in movie unnie..."

"I know, but 50 First Dates' making more sense than your real life right now, you know?"

"Whatever... I'm doing this for the both of us. Who knows maybe we'll bump again into each other in the future, and until then let's just hope she still sees her soul in my eyes."

"That's pathetic." She rolled her eyes

 "That's the closest to brave that I'll ever be. So can you please just help me finish packing? I'll be leaving in two days by the way so you need to send me of."

 "Okay okay whatever you say."

"Thanks unnie, wouldn't have done everything without you. You're a real life saver."

"Yah! Save me your speech at the airport, for now let's grab some lunch I'll call them."

She said exiting my room I let out a deep and long sigh of relief, I sat on the edge of my bed cupping my forehead and for the hundredth time I let out a silent cry.

 I guess I'll always be in grief of what I've done. Of course you're not okay with leaving her behind. She's your life remember? But we know well enough that this is for the best.

On the day she woke up I was already half way out the hospital when my weaker part propelled me back to the hallway of her room.

I stopped at the partly ajar door I noticed that the envelope I left was already gone.

Maybe uncle already got it, I hope he did. I was about to push the door open when I heard her talk...

"Maybe they're not important... those people, places and events... maybe they're not important that's why I don't remember them..." my heartbeat stopped, it felt like a rusty knife was driven right through my heart.

Hot tears pooled my eyes in an instant when it hit me that, I don't belong in her world anymore.

cold and empty it's not her speaking it was amnesia but they cut through every small part of my flesh, rotting my bones, infecting my blood it was slowly but surely killing me. So before I could hear more of their conversation I ran away. So here I am two weeks after already waiting for my flight.

I took an indefinite leave from all my businesses even in our family's businesses and I set a flight to the US in two days.

Until now I am unsure, I am battling whether to stay and torture myself seeing her everywhere or leave and torture myself for not seeing any of her anymore.

I know either of the two choices I have would crush me but there's one worth suffering more than the other. Because I know one is a dead end while the other would eventually open up the door for living. I just have to figure out which is which.

"So nothing's gonna stop you now?" Soyeon unnie sighed as she hug me goodbye we're here on our final moments trying to hold on and let go to one another at the same.

“I'll see you on holidays. Take care unnie." I smiled at her

"You keep in touch okay?" Qri unnie in pulling me from Soyeon unnie

"Of course!" I laughed tears already at the brink

 "You stay safe and enjoy your time alone. We'll try and visit you there next year."

 They slowly move in crushing me at the center that made me lose my cool.

"You guys! Stop it you're making me cry." They then loosened up slowly while we melt into laughter and tears.

"Jiyeona, you know I'm still a text or call away okay? Don't hesitate to contact me. I'll just be lying around."

"I know you are. Thank you for everything Eunjung unnie. I'll miss you. And I'll miss all of you." Right on cue like the ones in the movies after the goodbyes my flight has been called and it's time for me to leave.

I gave them one last wave as they were all watching me inch towards the immigration.

As I stepped forward to the new start I am going to face, I felt lighter and I smiled at the thought of my baby steps of moving on and letting go.

 

********3 years later********

 

Hyomin’s POV

"Congratulations. The opening of your hotel in Asia has been a huge success!"

"Thank you Ms. Goo." Uncle smiled

"Thank you and your team Hara, it wouldn't have been possible without you guys." I seconded

Today is the opening of our first 7 star-hotel. The opening of the hotel was ground breaking because a month before the actual opening, the whole hotel has been fully booked by tourists who were not only after Asia's first hotel on water but also Singapore itself.

"Hyomin?"

"Oh hey Hara." I smiled

 We're at the penthouse floor of the hotel where our team's victory party was held. I actually own the penthouse it's an office slash lovely abode.

"Congratulations on another successful venture." She cheered

"Thanks." I plainly answered

"You don't seem genuinely happy, you were happier the last time I saw you. When you're in London."

"That was long time ago, many things has changed. I lost my memory remember?" I said with slight bitterness in my tongue All cards on the table, I am happy and contented with everything that's happened in my life for the past three years, after the accident the rest falls perfectly in place; happy and contented in the business kind of sense.

I got busier by the months that came, that I didn't have time to welcome love back to my life again. Or to rightly put it into words I didn't want to welcome love back to my life ever again.

I tried dating but it's always me who would bail out and cut the contact. I seek that kind of connection that in one look would weaken my knees and make me stutter. With them it was always easy, I can play with words and women would believe them. I don't want easy. I want worth it.

That's what I firmly told uncle when he inquired why I haven't got any new relationship on the works.

"We can always try to make new happy memories Hyomin..." She uttered out of the blue pulling me out of my reverie. I smiled at the thought me getting involved with her and it felt like !

"No offense Hara but I've always seen you as sister..." I joked

"That's not nice!" she laughed swatting my arm although I saw a flicker of pain in her brown eyes.

Hara has always been open with her feelings and intentions for me that she even proposed more business deal with uncle just for me to give her a shot. But uncle told her that even he couldn't persuade me to date anyone anymore.

"Hara?" I called out to her as we were both looking out in the open facing the huge crowd of people below us.

"How well did you know Jiyeon?" I asked, for the first time in three years I was able to ask someone who knew the old me who's with Jiyeon.

I looked at her and she was already looking at me she sighed before speaking...

"Still her? Well, who am I kidding of course it's always gonna be her. You can't remember anything about her except her name but you're still interested about her." she said with a sad smile and for a moment I regretted that I asked.

 I broke our trail of sight and focused on the half empty tall glass of blue margarita I'm holding.

 "Yeah. She's still with me in my dreams. I can't see her but I feel her. I don't know whats her favorite perfume was but some of my clothes still smelled of old oak and lavender. I've never talked to her but my hearing is sensitive with her voice. It's like, she's always whispering to me. I've never met her and I have no idea if I ever will or if she's real. But there's this certain longing, a painful one that has found home in the back of my mind and it spills every time I unlock it. I know I sound crazy, just... never mind I asked." I said giving up there's no point on looking for someone you don't really know or remember right?

"You love her, more than I could imagine someone love somebody else..." I was surprised when she started again so I looked back at her more intently.

"You were inseparable, believe me I tried breaking you two up – and sorry for that - but you're like magnets... you breathe and live for each other. I almost envied her... well not almost... I really envied her that time. She's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter