Chapter 23

I'M WITH YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's POV

It's been three hours since Jessica was admitted to the emergency room.

All panic buzz was replaced with low whispers of silent prayers for their friend laboring in the operating room.

Jiyeon was still covered with Jessica's blood, silently crying in shock and horror.

She's playing with the stained engagement ring on her left hand. She was silently blaming herself of letting Jessica get out of the car earlier.

"Jiyeona, here change into something clean." Eunjung said offering Jiyeon a shirt Jiyeon broke down then again, Eunjung sat down and hugged her soothing and calming her down

"Jiyeon stop crying, she will be fine." Eunjung said

"But Unnie... it's my fault.. I - I shouldn't have let her get out of the car..." Jiyeon sobbed

"Shhh it's no one's fault... She was just there at the wrong time..." Eunjung answered not knowing what anymore to say

"Who was with Ms. Jung?" the doctor asked appearing from the operating room Jiyeon instantly stood and walked up to him and the rest of them followed

"She's with us doc." Eunjung answered as she put her arm on Jiyeon's shoulders

"We have already removed the bullet on her side fortunately it didn't get into contact with any of her organs... and she didn't lose much blood so a blood transfusion wouldn't be necessary..."

The group released a few sigh of relief and thanks God after learning that the other girl is already safe.

"But..." the doctor added again

"But?" Jiyeon said tearing up again

"But as we checked on her we found out that there's another bullet that penetrated her in a more sensitive part of her body...It's was buried a bit deep on her Occipital lobe, which we can't get out..."

"What doc? why? You should take it out right away." Eunjung in

"That's why I am here to ask you, because once we operated on the bullet there's a possibility that the patient might experience post traumatic amnesia, we are talking about her brain her literally..."

"She will wake up not remembering anything is that what you’re saying doc?" Myungsoo asked

"Nae. Or we can let the bullet settle their just a bit longer and let the patient decide if she want it out and just hope for the best."

They are all looking at Jiyeon now, and she felt the weight of their stare. But she can't bring herself to decide upfront.

"We'll wait for her doc, we'll let her decide... there's wouldn't be any complication with that right?" Jiyeon finally said

"None for now. But we still have to observe her. The body will know how to react on the foreign substance inside it, so we'll have to wait. So if you'll excuse me I'll just get back to the patient and I'll have a nurse tell you if she's ready to be visited."

"Thank you doc." Soyeon unnie said

Jiyeon dried back to waiting area, crying harder than she was before. Her friends didn't know what to do with her so they just let her feel that they'll be there no matter what happen.

"Jiyeona? Where's Jessica?"

"Uncle." Jiyeon instantly rose from her sit and ran towards their Uncle and sobbed.

"It's okay, we'll get through this. Jessica will. I know her."

"I can't lose her. I can't live without her."

"And she won't leave you. I'll make sure of that."

Jiyeon knows pretty well that all she can do now is trust Jessica.

Trust that she would wake up any minute now.

Trust that she will soon be fine.

Trust that she would not lose the love of her life and that Jessica won't let go for her.

But no matter how tightly Jiyeon grasp that thread of trust, she still doubts.

She's still figuring out how she can fully accept the fact, if by any chance her unnie let go.

They vigil, all the five of them. They stayed with each other even if they had to pull some strings just to be allowed to have five people look after a patient.

No one wants to leave and no one wants anyone leaving too.

They take turns in going to the cafeteria for coffee or water or anything to eat except Jiyeon.

She never left Jessica’s side since the nurse told them that she's already been transferred to a private room. she won't let her slip away from her again, like in the car.

"Jiyeona you want to sleep by the couch? She's stable, you can rest I'll look after her. You're tired." Eunjung offered

"Gwaenchana unnie, I'll just have coffee later, I'm not sleepy." Jiyeon softly said Eunjung didn't argue anymore she just put a reassuring pat on the younger's shoulder and retreated back to the couch where she was seating with the rest of their friends.

A nurse check on Jessica every 2 hours making sure the wires are safely connected to her body, checking her pulse and temperature, her heart monitor and IV bag.

Jiyeon reached for Jessica's cold hand and clutched to it as she prayed and eventually had fallen asleep slouching on the bed side.

-------------------------------/

Jiyeon’s POV

I woke up from my shallow nap when I felt Jiyeon’s hand twitch and slowly moved.

I immediately rose from my seat and looked at her.

"U-unnie? How are you feeling?" I asked

She looked to my direction and smiled.

"My head hurts." She answered frowning

"I'll call the doctor." Myungsoo oppa offered as they we're all awaken by my voice

"What she's experiencing is her body's reaction to the bullet inside her head... But she's responding very well to the pain reliever and there's no complication to the other bullet wound on her side. I suggest she stay for a few more days or a week so we can thoroughly observe her and run a few test on her... and if she make up her mind about..."

"Doc... about that, may I be the one to tell her? Please?" I asked pleading desperately

"You may Ms. Park, just remember to explain it to her especially the side effect that is expected..."

"Yes Doc, I will."

"Very well I'll leave you to it."

"Thank you doc."

After the doctor left, I return to Jessica unnie's bed side, she's already sitting and talking with Eunjung unnie and Myungsoo oppa about our London trip.

"Guys can I talk to her..." I said almost a whisper and they know it was their cue to leave us alone.

"Dino-ah, I missed you... Mianhe..." Jessica unnie started

“it's not your fault okay unnie… I-I need to tell you something... about what happened to you..."

"I got shot right?" she said half smiling pointing at her side

"Yes, there..." I pointed to her side

"And there..." I added pointing at her head

"Oh... that's why it's hurting..."

"Yes unnie. There's another thing..." I continued not meeting her gaze

"The doctors.. they haven't removed the bullet from your head yet..."

"What? Why?" she asked her voice with hint of panic so I held her hand and look her in the eyes.

"They asked me if I can decide for you and have it removed when you're in the operating room, but then I couldn't bring myself to do it..." I said tearing up

"Why I would've allowed you..." she asked with confusion

"I know you would, but unnie if I did, there's a possibility that you wouldn't remember who I am or any of us when you wake up...The bullet was planted near your occipital lobe and the doctor said that if they try to remove it you'd lose part of your memory or worse your whole memory in the process... That's why I can't choose for you..." I broke down

"Oh..." she sighed leaning forward to me and pulling me to her

"In that case, a bullet to stay in head wouldn't be that bad…" she nervously joked but I just cried and she did to.

We suddenly felt helpless.

Even with her awake we still lack the ability to choose for her well-being.

"I'll keep the bullet..." she stated with conviction

"But unnie... we don't know what effect it will bring your body... it's not safe..."

"I'll be fine. Promise." She pushed my lightly to face me

She caressed my face; I surrendered at the contact of her warm palm against my algid skin.

She held me in place and I looked into her eyes and the whole of her face and saw our future laid out in front of me, the western style beach house with its white porch hugged by colorful flowers all over it.

The smell of bacon in the kitchen as she cook us breakfast.

The warmth we sought under the pillow and blanket fort we childishly built.

My future was written all over her face and it is slowly forcing me to be selfish, to allow Jessica unnie to keep the bullet, to keep her memory safe compromising the bigger picture, her health, her life.

"But I can't let you do that unnie, it's a gamble..." I said pulling away from her clenching my fist selfishness creeping into my mind

"Shhh... I'd love to keep my memories intact as much as possible..." she said pleading

"It won't get better in the long run..." I said with authority

"If keeping the bullet means I get to keep my memories then it won't be a bad way to go right? I can't wake up fronted with the harsh reality that I need to learn everything over again..." she broke down

I just move in and hugged her again trying to make sense of the only way out she would allow. We stayed in that position for a few moments more as our tears dried away.

"Jessica?"

"Uncle" I make way for him to be able to hug unnie.

I stayed on the other side of the bed as they were reunited. I see reserve tears and emotions etched in his eyes. So I decided to give them the privacy they need.

"I'll just be outside, unnie." I said as I give them both a hug before exiting the room.

---------------------//

Jessica’s POV

"How are you feeling?"

"Getting better uncle... we can go home in just few days more right?" I answered forcing my enthusiasm

"Jessica... Your doctor told me about everything... And I know that's what you and Jiyeon has been talking about when I came in..." he said coldly

"I'm not losing my memories." I said dismissively

"Jessica..."

"I just got engaged uncle and you know what? It was the best feeling I had in the las

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter