Chapter 25

I'M WITH YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiyeon's POV

 

After the dramatic revelation at Hyomin unnie's house, I went home.

I think it's best if I just take a break and to clear my mind I called Eunjung unnie.

"Yeoboseyo? Where are you? I'm here with Jessica and - -"

"Hyomin..."

"Mwo? What did you say?"

"You're with Hyomin... You were right all along... She's real and she's there with you..."

"I don't understand you Ji, I'm coming for you... where are you?"

"Condo."

"I'll be there in 30 mins." After half hour of waiting I heard a light knock from the door. I stood up slowly the chains I felt are heavier now than when I was in the basement.

 "Jiyeon." Eunjung unnie said like saying 'I know, I'm here' And for the nth time I broke down, she enveloped me into a tight hug, that time I felt smaller than she was and weaker too. She walked me back to the living room not letting go of me. I just sobbed.

"Tell me about it." she started after she took two glasses of water from the kitchen

"Uncle told me about everything, he even asked me to go their house..."

"He showed you the basement?"

My eyes darted to Eunjung unnie who's still standing and holding another glass of water.

"You knew about the basement? You knew about Jessica unnie all along? Since when?! You fooled me too?!" Words came out rushing I can't stop it.

I’m not mad at her but I just felt the need to raise my voice to release my angst.

She let out a long and heavy sigh before she walked towards the couch sitting on one end while I was seated on the other end.

"I'm sorry Jiyeon, Jess- - Hyomin asked me to never tell you. Remember when we saw her with another girl at the night bazaar in high street? When I took you home and stayed with you until you have fallen asleep? I saw her, she's looking after you from afar, and she’s a block away from your condo building and just looking at your window like some kind of stalker. I was angry that time so I confronted her but she just shunned me away, so I followed her until we reached their house and I confronted her again and she was forced to tell me everything. I'm sorry Ji. It's just that, I wanted her to be the one to tell you about it. But this happened."

Tears stained my face the whole time Eunjung unnie talked about what happened before.

"I understand. She always does what she wants and get away with it."

"You believed everything you saw? Shouldn't you be acting frenzied now?"

"I can't and I don't want to unnie. It's my fault after all. She did those things because of me. And I haven't returned the favor for the past years. I should be feeling bad about myself not her."

She motioned to put her arm around my shoulder when we calm down.

"What are you planning to do now?"

"I don't actually know, I just want her to wake up. So I could ask her my questions. So I could talk to her, and call her in her real name - Hyomin..." my voice break

"So I could tell her how thankful I am that she never gave up on me. That she loved me unconditionally. I want her to feel my love, the love that she deserves. But we lost."

"Shhhh... When she wakes up after the surgery, you two can start over again... You'll have a new start. We'll be there for you guys, you know that right?"

"What if it's too late? What if I lose her in the process? What if she does wake up and not only her mind has forgotten who I am but also her heart? What if she's already tired? She has gone through so much already. My guilt would kill me if I just barge into her life again just like that."

"Stop saying that Jiyeona"

"Mianhe unnie, there's just so much chaotic scenarios that's going on in my mind."

"Just rest for now. I'll go back to the hospital and spend the night with Hyomin. You stay here and rest okay? Will you be fine alone?"

"Yeah. I need it too."

"All right then. I'll get going...” She said pulling me to a full hug before standing up and walking towards the door.

After Eunjung unnie left, I took a hot shower; I stayed there long enough for my muscles to relax. My mind was actually empty or my mind went numb after everything. I can't even feel my heart beating. We're still alive but it felt like we've already died a thousand deaths and all we want to do is rest.

I woke up earlier than I intend to, it was only seven in the morning when I checked my phone. There were a couple of message from Eunjung unnie telling me that uncle and Hyomin unnie's neurologist is going to talk to me later today.

 After taking a shower and getting ready, my stomach churned in remorse reminding me I haven't eaten anything since lunch yesterday. I cooked myself breakfast and was silently eating when I remembered the box of letters, Hyomin unnie sent me.

I retrieved it from where I hid it. The box has a thin layer of dust on it.

I wonder what it feels like reading them without being crept out because I now know the person who sent them to me. They suddenly became my most valuable possession.

Upon seeing those again after a long time and reading parts of them, realization hit me like train.

Why don't I write her my own letter? I'll try to sum everything up, all the feelings, all the love, all the apologies and all the promises in paper and ink. Like she always does for me.

 So that morning I wrote my first ever love letter for Hyomin unnie. Over hundred years delayed. But like what they always say. Better late than never right? I arrived at the hospital around lunch time, and there's no one with her.

It still feels weird calling her Hyomin but it's also inviting at the same time. It's like the most beautiful name in the world for me; it tastes like the sweetest marmalade in my mouth when I say it. It just fits and sits in my tongue perfectly.

She still hasn't moved since I left her yesterday. All the cables are still connected to her body. Her respirator and heart monitor still beeps and hisses in unison.

I walked towards the side of her bed claiming the chair be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter