Parents

You Are Mine

Next Saturday, Qing and Dayu went back to their hometown in Tianjin. They went to their respective house and had lunch with their respective family.

 

At Dayu’s house

 

It’s great to have you back here, Son,” Dayu’s mom said with a bright smile. “It’s been a long time since the last time I saw your face. You’ve become thinner.”

Actually, Mom… I gained weight at least 3 kg since the last time I went home.”

Really?” Dayu’s mom certainly gave Dayu her disbelief look as she checked Dayu out from head to toe. “You did a lot thinner than before”

Dayu rolled his eyes. He gave up. It’s better to not argue with your parents, especially your mom. Her words were absolute.

 

Dayu and his mother ate in silence, but they enjoyed it. Dayu’s real father has long been passed away and his mom was remarried. From the marriage of his mother and his current father, he has a little sister who is 10 years younger than him. His father was going out to fish with his friends and his sister was playing at her friends’ house too since early in the morning. So when Dayu came home, only his mother was there.

 

Did Xiao Qing come with you?”

Yes, Mom.”

Tonight, let’s have dinner together with them.”

All of us?”

Yes, all… the four of us.”

Dayu nodded his head and continued eating his lunch.

 

At the same time, at Qing’s house

 

Qing, eat a lot.”

Mom, I’ve already eat a lot and you still give me more.”

Because it’s been a long time since you eat Mom’s cooking, right? You don’t miss Mom’s cooking?” His mother’s face suddenly became sad and sour.

No, Mom, you are still the best chef I’ve ever known my entire life.”

His mother smiled and grinned, “I cooked all your favourite food. You should finish it all.”

Qing felt like dying. His mother made tons of food. It looked like meals for four people instead of two.

 

Mom, what is it that you want to talk to me?”

His mother was contemplating to answer it. “Let’s wait until dinner time when your father has come back home.”

Why?”

Because it’s something important and it’s better if it’s your father who says it.”

Wang Qing was so curious, but he didn’t say it. He just shrugged his shoulders and continued eating his lunch.

 

Not long after, there was a ringing from his home phone. His mother answered it. From the conversation, he knew that it was Dayu’s mom who was calling. When his mother had finished talking to the other line, he asked.

 

Oh, nothing, Son. It’s just she asked whether it’s good to have dinner together tonight.”

Oh.” Qing’s face was brighten. “So?”

Of course we will have dinner together!” His mother smiled widely. “We will have dinner here, in our house. The merrier the better.”

 

Dinner Time, at Wang’s Household

 

At 5:30 PM, Dayu and his family came to neighbour next door, which is Wang Qing’s family. Jian Hua, Dayu’s sister, was helping her mother and Qing’s mother in the kitchen to prepare the food. Dayu, Qingge and both fathers were playing mahjong in the living room.

 

When finally the meals were ready and served on the table, it’s already 8:00 PM. The four men were feeling hungry already and automatically halt their play when they saw and smell the food.

 

It’s really good,” Mr. Li, Dayu’s stepfather compliment the three women who were working hard to cook.

I can cook now, Papa,” Jian Hua said with a big smile plastered on her beautiful face.

Mr. Li smiled lovingly to his daughter and Dayu who sat beside her, patted her head.

Eh, how is Xin Yi doing now?” Ya Ling, Dayu’s mom asked Qingge’s mom.

Xiao Yi has been transferred to another city in the US. He is currently in San Francisco.”

Wang Xin Yi is Wang Qing’s older brother by four years. He has been living abroad since five years ago.

 

Does he has a girlfriend now?”

I think so, he didn’t really explain it to me, but I knew he has.” Yan Xue, Qingge’s mom answered it with the raise of her eyebrows. Both mothers laughed and suddenly Mrs. Wang asked, “Dayu, do you have a girlfriend now?”

Dayu almost coughed, but he managed to calm himself. Qingge was eyeing him and waiting for his answer. “No, Auntie, I don’t have.”

Oooohhh, what a pity.”

I still want to focus on my career, so I don’t have enough time to take care of a girlfriend.”

Then, how about Xiao Qing?” Dayu’s mom asked.

Ah, about that… actually I’ve talked to my friend,” Mr. Wang said in a slow voice. “I want Qingge to meet his daughter, Wei Xia.” Qingge wanted to interrupt his Dad, but his Dad raised his hand as a sign for Qing that he should remain silent until he finished his words. “She is a really good girl. I’ve known her since she was little, and now she has become a great lady.”

Dad, what year is it? You still want to intervene in my love life.”

Qing, it’s easy to have a girlfriend, but it’s not easy to have a wife. Just meet her once, and you will know why I insist.”

Qingge didn’t say anything, he kept on munching his food and peeked on Dayu a little. Dayu didn’t show him any strange expression. He was so calm and chatting with his mom like nothing happened.

 

You should at least feel a little worried!

 

Dayu glanced at Qing a little. Qing kept his poker face and didn’t show him any unusual expression.

 

You should at least feel a little uneasy!

 

“… right, Dayu?”

Huh? Yes, Auntie?”

Eii… you didn’t hear me just now? I said, it’s better for Qing to come and greet Wei Xia, right? Afterall, both of them are single, and there is nothing wrong if they go on a date once.”

Dayu looked at Qing and they stared at each other for a few seconds until Dayu finally said, “Yes, nothing’s wrong.”

Qing bit his lips and stared like a dagger to Dayu.

See? Even Dayu said so. Here I show you her picture.” Qingge’s mom showed Dayu the picture and Dayu couldn’t help but wow-ed at it. “Qing, here... look.” Qingge looked at it and he admitted that she’s really gorgeous.

Let’s stop it, Mom. I won’t go and meet her.”

Qing, we have arranged it for you to meet her tomorrow. Don’t make us lose face in front of our friends.”

Qing sighed and didn’t join in the conversation until dinner was finished.

 

Dayu and his family went home. Qingge helped his mom to wash the dishes and cornered yet again to meet Wei Xia tomorrow.

Mom… please,” Qingge was sincerely pleading to his mother.

It’s been a loooonnggg time since the last time you were pleading at me with such a face,” his mother laughed. “But no, I’m sorry, Son. I personally wish you to meet her. She is a nice young lady. After you know her, you will easily fall in love with her.”

What if I say that I already had a lover?”

Really? Who?” His mother asked in surprise.

Qingge wanted to say ‘Dayu’ but he definitely couldn’t say it. “Nothing, never mind. I’ll meet her tomorrow.”

His mother was so pleased to hear it. She was sure she would sleep tight tonight.

 

 

 

 

To be continued