✌PROOFREAD - Weirder Than Aliens (by AlienDongsaeng)

✔✔TRAVERSE SHOP - REVIEW & PROOFREAD✔✔
 
Proofread
 
Weirder Than Aliens

Author: AlienDongsaeng

Genre(s): Fluff, Romance

Story Status: Completed

No. of Chapters: 2

Green texts mean corrections.

Red tests must be deleted.

WARNING: If you are not the author and you want to read it, a link is given above. Do not read the story here.

CHAPTER 1
 

I yawned for the umpteenth time this morning.

 

I stared down at my roommate.

 

Ahra was still standing before the mirror and was admiring the green-colored dress she was wearing. She took more than 15 minutes to finally choose a dress, 20 minutes in the shower, 35 minutes to fix her hair which she ended up simply wearing a ponytail style and 1 hour to put on makeup and some clothes. She woke me up early at dawn to spend 2 hours helping her decide on some things which whatever idea I gave, she simply denied.

Like... For what purpose I was there in the first place if she actually rejects everything I suggested to her? I stared back at my phone and scrolled down Instagram, liking everything I pass by.

"One day, you'll be standing in this place," I heard Ahra say.

"Why would I?" I replied, still fixed onto some weird pictures on the screen. I could sense my friend feeling a slightly irritated with my reply. Must be that I accidentally used the wrong tone.

"When that one day comes, you'll know why," she replied.

I don't get it. If a guy loves you, he wouldn't care about what you look like so why should you bother worrying about your appearances anyway? I just don't get it at all. I decided to spill my opinion, "It's not like Jimin cares about what you wear."

But she ignored me since I was probably starting to get into her nerves. Scrolling down, I found an upload of an outside image taken inside a Ferris wheel. I let loose a quiet, impressed 'wow' and wondered. "Done!" Ahra sounded, finally satisfied with her look.

 

"Took you two hours to finally get it done," I muttered under my breath. "And you woke me up at 5 am for this."

I should have known that I have a loud voice and Ahra has a sharp ear. She shot me a look, "That's why I had to wake up early... For that two hours."

"Is two hours really worth it?"

"Of course it is! Especially if it's for someone you love very deeply."

 

But it's not for time. 

 

I felt like rolling my eyes, but I was too tired to do so and instead, I only lifted my head up and replied, "Love's weird."

And Ahra answered me as she cleaned up the mess of clothes and makeup things on her bed that was right next to mine, "No, you're weird. Love is perfectly normal."

 

Hearing her reply, I began to think that maybe she's right. Maybe I am weird. But is that good or bad? I have no clue. I recalled the image of the scenery outside the Ferris wheel. It was so high that you can see almost the whole city. And the sky was blue at the time it was taken. It was breathtaking.

 

I wish I could take a snap like that too.

 

"Can I come too?"

 

-
--
---

 

Ahra looked at me from head to toe after a 6-minute change of clothes. "You're wearing that?"

What's wrong with wearing a simple brown, long-sleeved shirt and shorts? I gave her a questioned look, "What? Oh come on, you're just like my mom!"

"What's with the stockings and sport shoes?" Her hands on her hips, judging me.

"One, it’s comfortable. And two, so I can walk faster." I mirrored her, also placing my hands on my hips.

A small sigh was given by my mothering friend as well as another point, "At least put on some makeup."

"I have."

"You did?"

"A bit of powder and lip balm."

"Are you kidding me?"

"Should I kid around if I say it's almost time?"

Ahra turned and looked at the watch drilled on the wall behind her. Remembering that she should be meeting with Jimin at 8 in the morning, she quickly slid her sling bag onto her shoulder and pulled me as we leave.

 

My palms were already sweating as I watch Ahra running towards Jimin who was waiting close to a pole with a simple green tee under the hot summer sun. Jimin and I are probably two of a kind cause we get along just well together since we have the same interest in colors, food, shows and we both love simplicity. We find feeling comfortable is much important, even if it means wearing the ugliest clothing.

And despite us being polar opposites of Ahra, we are both close to her. Hence, love is truly a magnet, attracting opposites.

From afar, I noticed a father and two little boys holding hands just right behind Jimin. Jimin and Ahra embraced each other which I find pretty uncomfortable looking at. Suddenly, they both kissed.

 

Ew.

 

Do they have to do that in public? I looked away, embarrassed of my friends' actions.

 

And right in front of the children too!

 

I wanted to leave. "D!" Ahra called by my nickname. Her sheepish smile made me felt uneasy and I could sense that there was problem just by reading her face. The father and his sons also came closer into the group that I began to suspect they are some family members of Jimin's. Ahra turned to me and said, "I have a favor to ask."

 

Oh.

No.

 

Something tells me that this favor she's about to ask is bad news for me so I began to shift my feet backwards and turned around about to leave, but Ahra grabbed me by the arm and even though she was smiling... her eyes were bigger than the devil's.

"Are you my best friend...? Or not?" She emphasized the 'not'.

"Uh... Yes," I replied with a smile, insincerely. Ahra's face softened a bit until I reconsidered my words, "But just... not for today."

Without a second to lose, she snapped and there were flames in her eyes. Her grip on me was tighter than before.

"Th-that w-w-was just a j-joke!" I staggered, hoping to stop the burning fuse before me. Ahra, still burning, marked her words, "It better be or you won't see another daylight tomorrow."

She inhaled some air to cool her flame and finally regained her composure, "Okay. How about you join V and his little cousins for the day?"

"Huh?"

 

I must have heard her wrong. I really hoped I did.

 

"It will be 20% off the actual price if you go with him and act like a family taking the family package," she informed me as I was still processing. "You love children so it will be okay... I think."

Finally understanding that she's asking me to attend the day with a man I don't know, I shouted, "No! Never! Why?!"

"You know well that I don't like to be around men. Are you serious?" I pleaded. "I’d rather pay a thousand dollars than going throughout the day with a man I don't trust."

It's not that I don't like men nor am I a lesbian. On a second thought, I could be a lesbian... But other than that, I am just afraid of them. As someone who dreams of charming princes and hot anime characters, I dislike how reality opposes my fantasies. Therefore, I tried protecting my dreams from being ruined by separating myself with reality including men.

And I thought Ahra knew this. I stared down the girl's worried look and a pang of guilt after my statement. Seeing how sad she was, I thought back to how she got so excited to the news Jimin and her going on a date today. I started to feel guilty as well. She was probably worried about me going off alone while she's on a date with Jimin. So she wanted me to be with V to play it safe.

 

After a long thought, I fixed my words, "Alright, then. But with a condition, you'll buy me Diary Queen's for later and tomorrow."

Ahra's face turned bright and her eyes sparkled before me. "Yes! Of course!"

"But who's V anyway?" I asked as I searched behind her though I had suspected that V is the guy I figured is a father, standing by the little boys and was talking with Jimin at the time.

"He's Chim Chim's friend. He decided to come too and bring his little cousins along."

"He's..."

"Handsome?"

"Ew, no!" I exclaimed even though I knew V is very good-looking. But I didn't intend to say 'he's handsome'. "I was about to say if he's older than me!"

Ahra laughed to my reaction. "He is. Same age as Jimin."

"Oh," I replied. "I thought he was a father-!"

"So is it settled?" Jimin came into our conversation, placing his hands onto Ahra's shoulders.

"Yep!" Ahra replied and then stared at me. There was still an unsure guilt in her eyes as she said, "I'm sorry, D. I'll make it up to you, I promise."

 

As we parted ways, Jimin and Ahra left me alone with the group of strangers. I slowly put down my wave and took a glimpse at V who was grinning awkwardly, and standing not so far beside me. Up close, he looks way cuter with his thick chestnut-colored hair, with its bangs covering his forehead and his thin lips that forms a square when he smiles widely. I looked down at his cousins hiding behind him. Being a child oriented person I am, I started introducing myself to the boys, "Hi. I am the park fairy who shall join your adventures today! Call me D."

I could sense V smirking to my playful introduction. He probably finds me weird, but I don't care. That's just who I am.

The oldest one, who seemed to be 6 or 7, ran towards me with big, curious eyes and asked, "Miss, are you really a park fairy?"

"Hmm... That is up to you to believe or not," I gave him a smile. "And I told you to call me 'D'."

"D." The youngest, probably 5, called out for me and I picked him up, letting him fly in the air.

"What should I call you guys?" I inquired for the boys' names.

"Call me Oppa!" answered the eldest, proudly. "And this is Kimchi."

"Kimchi," I chuckled at the silly name.

"And this is Hyung. But you can call him Oppa too," he indicated V who was standing still, smiling at the sight of little Oppa talking. I stared at him in the corner of my eyes, being not used to having eye contact with a guy. Not wanting to be cold, I smiled at him.

 

When he noticed me smiling, our eyes met with each other’s and a broad, warm, and friendly smile formed on his face.


CHAPTER 2

 

"AAAAAGH!!" I screamed as we rode the kiddy roller coaster that to my surprise, is also frightening -- but not as much as the adults' ride, of course.

 

Little Oppa and Kimchi were screaming loudly too, both with high notes, and V whose seat was behind me probably didn't realize he was holding my shoulders tightly as though he would fly away if he didn't. As the ride came to a stop, we all laughed and started discussing what we had felt.

"Hyung didn't scream at all!" Little Oppa looked amazed at his own point as he ate his blue cotton candy.

"No, he did. His voice was too deep that it sunk in with the other's screaming," I blurted out and grinned at V teasingly. V's cheeks crimsoned and he stared at me shyly.

 

Is he embarrassed?

 

I could hear some girls giggling like fangirls passing by us. I observed his blue-jean textured, short-sleeved summer coat covering his indigo t-shirt, his well-rounded face and hazelnut hair makes him look like a model from afar. I bet he is though.

The little boys were already fond of me. Kimchi was holding my hand while eating the chocolate bar I bought as a gift for him. He's still a child so it was no surprise that the chocolate went all over his face. I crouched before the little boy and took out a wet tissue and wiped clean his face.

I couldn't stop the feeling that V was watching me the whole day. I took a second glance at him and he was still staring. Suddenly, there was an urge inside me asking me to look at him longer but I'm quite a loser at staring games, especially when my opponent is a guy so I quickly turned away from him, my cheeks all flushed.

He coughed, noticing that we both were being awkward with each other. His fingers were ruffling his soft-looking hair from behind, fidgeting.

 

His actions made me feel something weird inside. And I didn't like it.

 

I walked a bit faster than normal, leaving Little Oppa and V behind while Kimchi tried catching up with me. V called out for me, "Hey! D! Wait up!"

Eventually, I slowed down a bit. I realized that I was panting. My heart was beating faster and louder for that weird feeling I mentioned earlier. With my hand holding Kimchi, I placed my other hand on my chest and turned it into a fist, clenching tightly as though trying to slow the pace of my beating heart.

I shook my head and looked at the Ferris wheel standing a bit further, behind the row of trees in the park.

 

Today's mission is to ride the Ferris wheel. I must not lose focus.

 

V finally caught up and by instinct, I straightened myself, hiding my sweaty face from him. I felt relieved when V didn't mention anything about how weird I was acting.

"So where are we heading next?" He asked me.

I tried avoiding eye contact with him. "The Ferris wheel?" I commended.

"But that's no fun!" Little Oppa disagreed with me without even hesitating, creating a frown on my face.

"Have you ever been in a Ferris wheel before?" V asked the young boy who just finished his cotton candy.

"Nope. Because it's boring."

"How would you know it's boring without even trying to ride it?"

I wondered to myself if V noticed me disappointed and was actually trying to convince the boys to agree with my idea riding the Ferris wheel. I eyed V for no longer than five seconds. My heart continued to race for god-knows why. Little Oppa shrugged his shoulders. His lips formed into a pout. I let loose a small, quiet sigh and stated, "How about we go to the Mirror Maze then?"

"Mirror Maze," Kimchi rephrased, excitedly, while clapping his hands together.

"Ooh! Yes! Whoever is first to get out of the maze will be King-!" V paused and turned to me, bowing like a gentlemen for no reason. "Or Queen for the day."

I couldn't contain much longer of the fluffiness inside me. Hence, I accidentally giggled like a little school girl.

 

-
--
---

 

The maze was filled with glass walls that reflects everything. It was hard for one to not be fooled by the mirrors and find the exit. Drops of sweat formed on my forehead as I panicked since I had lost sight of Kimchi. He had ran away and I lost him in the maze. Fear and guilt were all coming together and I couldn't stop my body from trembling. My lips quivered as I called out the little boy's name.

I was lost in the maze alone with my reflections. It was dark too which makes it hard for me to find my way out. Negative thoughts overwhelmed me.

 

What if he's kidnapped? What if we couldn't find him and he died? What will I say to his parents? What will V think of me then?

 

Terrified with my own thoughts, I closed my eyes for a while and tried calming myself by breathing in and out slowly.

 

More action, D.

 

I whispered encouragements inside my head and decided to call out for a different person. "V!"

"Yes?" V's voice was close by and I tried trailing it by calling his name again and again and listening to his voice as he reply.

As his voice was getting closer and closer, we finally found each other. I almost bumped into him as I turned. But our little gap was worst. Being very small in height, I looked up at him and I could hear my neck sounded 'snap'. It was probably loud because V chuckled afterwards. His dark-colored eyes stared me down, causing my heart to clench.

 

I felt a twist inside me, something I never felt before.

 

"You're cute," he said.

By then, I thought I was dreaming. I pinched my warm cheek, "OW!"

V laughed at me. It was so loud that I figured his laughter probably echoed because of the mirrors as it was reflected. I chuckled at my own theory. He laughed so hard that tears were forming in his eyes, "You really thought you were dreaming?"

I never felt so shy. "Well, there's no way some random guy would call me cute just like that."

"You think I'm random?"

I shrugged my shoulders. I gazed up at him and realized how close our faces were. V probably just realized it too, because I could see his eyes slightly widened as I turned to him. His cheeks reddened and there was something in his eyes that attracted me.

"I like it," he suddenly blurted.

"Huh?"

"When you call for my name... I like it." His eyes were softer than before.

"W-why?" I blushed madly.

"I feel like that you're depending on me when you do so and I like that," he answered me.

I looked away from him. My heart was thumping very hard and loud that I thought sooner or later, it would explode and turn into fireworks. But that was only for a while until it then throbbed and hurt. I recalled back why I called for him.

"Kimchi!" I looked pale in the mirror.

"Wh... Where is he?!" His eyes wide and his mouth was o-shaped. Guilt weighed inside me.

"It's my fault. I lost him in the maze," I feared looking V in the eyes. I was ashamed of myself. Whatever happens to Kimchi would be blamed on me. "We have to find him!"

V's brows furrowed in frustration and worry. "Come on!"

He led me through the maze and we both called out for Kimchi's name. Yet there has been no answer. I couldn't hold it any longer.

"This is my fault. I'm so sorry." My words were shaky, but at least it reached V. "I should have paid more attention-!"

He turned and grabbed me by the shoulders, making me jump. I couldn't remember when was the last time a guy held me like that. I felt like that was the first for me. His eyes saw me through. His deep, clear yet whispery voice tingled my ears as he told me, "It's nobody's fault. Life is all about making mistakes and fixing them."

 

"So don't blame yourself unless you stopped trying to fix things."

 

His big hands let me free and his gaze broke with mine. Looking away, his cheeks flushed red. There was no way he could hide himself like that especially with the many mirrors that reflected his whole figure. "I didn't purposely try to act cool... Okay?"

I burst laughing at his statement. He's weird. He makes me feel right about myself.

 

A few minutes later, Little Oppa voiced in the abode, "Hyung! D! Kimchi's with me!"

We followed his voice and found ourselves at the exit with the two siblings. The sight of Kimchi made me burst into tears and without a second thought, I hugged the young boy who looked dumbfounded. "Don't run away like that! You scared me," I cried.

"Why didn't you reply to us sooner?" V sounded frustrated.

"Kimchi ran outside to see the clowns and I had to chase after him," explained Little Oppa.

V sighed behind me. While I was still hugging Kimchi, there was something warm, slightly heavy, hugging me around my stomach. V laid his chin on my shoulder and was embracing me from behind. In total shock, I managed to stagger, "Wh-wh-what are y-you doing?!"

 

"D, yow face is wed," Kimchi baby talked. "Yow have fevew."

 

I was so shocked for he never spoke that long to me until that moment. I even gasped. V chuckled for that, finding my reaction silly, "You're blushing!"

"Who wouldn't I?!" I indicated the hug. "And in public too!"

I looked at some staffs and people passing by. V looked around him, there was an awkward silence in the air. He broke the hug and I looked at him, demanding an explanation. He understood me and did just so, "I thought that would comfort you."

 

"You were crying. I didn't know what else to do." His brows narrowed as his lips pouted.

 

Darn it, this guy. He just couldn't stay still, can't he? But that’s what makes him kind and warm-hearted. I couldn't help but smile.

 

I think I like him.

 

Little Oppa declared his victory as he ran out of the open door of the building, "Yay! I am King for the day!"

"No, Kimchi is," I said. "He went out of the building first!"

"Eh?!" A look of disbelief on his face.

V and I smiled at each other as we stepped out of the building while Kimchi ran towards his big brother, mimicking his shouting but baby-styled. I reminded myself how upset I was when Ahra told me that she wanted me to do a favor for her that morning but...

 

Maybe it's not too bad.

 

Suddenly, the sky thundered and the rain began trickling onto our heads. We managed to find cover under a building of 'Bumper Cars' before it poured more heavily. Little Oppa groaned in big disappointment due to the sudden change in weather, "I'm bored!"

I smiled sadly, realizing that there was no way that I could ride the Ferris wheel now. Kimchi hid behind V, fearing the thunder and lightning together and V held him close lovingly, like a father.

There were at least ten children and six adults who were also taking the same shelter.  The sounds of crying, groaning, wailing to the unexpected turn of events filled the abode and the parents tried to stop them. A staff of the Bumper Cars suddenly announced good news, which changed everything upside down, "You guys can play as many times as you want."

A happy 'yay' was sung by everyone as the children chose their cars with their guardians. I took Kimchi and excitedly drove and bump with the other children. There were many times I bumped into V and Little Oppa, their smiles and laughter were something I can never forget. Kimchi was as hyper as any other child, screaming and laughing at the same time.

But more importantly, I was actually enjoying my time together with them.

 

"In the end, you never get to ride your Ferris wheel," V came up to me, leaving Little Oppa and Kimchi in the same ride together. He laid his arms on the rails while looking at me.

"Was it that obvious?" I smiled and finally see eye-to-eye with him. The rain was pouring lighter than before.

"I was observing you the whole day, can't you tell?" He chuckled slightly. "And plus, you can't be just coincidentally looking at the Ferris wheel right now."

We both looked at the Ferris wheel standing tall and big straight before us. "Well, it may just be a coincidence, you know," I replied.

His playful smile on his face charmed me. I would never stare a guy longer than 5 seconds but for V at that moment, I made an exception. He is different from other guys, I realized, but how is something I'd never understand. The same goes to the mixed feelings inside me.

"Maybe... Just maybe," he said, wondering.

"What?"

"We can come again and ride the Ferris wheel together." The corner of his lips rose slightly.

"I don't think the boys would like-!"

"No, no, no... The boys won't be there with us."

With one of my brows lifted, I questioned him, "Are you saying it's going to be only the two of us?"

"Just us."

I flushed at the sight of his flirty smile. It seems like he can be shy and bold whenever he wants. But what made me redder was the thought that he was actually asking me out on a date! I was still unsure whether I liked or hated the screaming voices inside me at that time.

I inhaled some air and breathed out slowly. V looked at me quizzically. I ignored him and walked out into the lightly pouring rain. I knew that everyone was watching, but I didn't care. I wanted that weird, mixed feeling inside me washed away in the rain. I couldn't understand them.

 

They are harder to comprehend compared to Maths.

 

Well, that's just out of topic.

 

I took out my phone and played a song in random and danced while singing in the rain. What surprised me was that V joined in along with Little Oppa and Kimchi. A few people went in for the fun too, including the park's musicians and they played music for us to dance and sing to. More people began to gather around us. There were bright smiles everywhere and we took pictures together, even though we were all strangers by then. The clouds parted away from their gathering, unblocking the sun and the orange-colored sky.

Our clothes were soaked but never our smiles.

The day was setting and everyone decided to return home.

As we said goodbyes and told how fun we all had, I realized that we were no longer strangers. We might not know each other well, but we made memories together and we were united for once. It was a really heartwarming experience for me.

I watched V taking selfies with some girls which made me realized I hadn't taken any photos with V at all that day.

 

Something painful weighed inside me. I didn't like it. And the feelings I first intended to wash away was still there.

 

 

V noticed me looking and I quickly fixed my gaze away from him by instinct.

 

-
--
---

 

Ahra and Jimin waited for us at the entrance. The little boys ran towards them and V and I, being playful, raced each other as the two couple acted as our finish line. V won ahead of me and I pouted in defeat.

"Take a short warm bath tonight so you won't catch a cold," he said and messed with my hair, treating me like a child.

 

A fluffy feeling filled my stomach.

 

"Oh my god. How did you get this drenched?!" Ahra pointed at our soaked appearance.

Little Oppa did all the explaining with sparkling eyes and ended it with, "... and everyone was happy and having fun and smiling and it's all because of D and her fairy powers!"

"Fairy!" Kimchi added cutely with his hands in the air as though he was sprinkling glitters.

Ahra and Jimin exchanged glances. But in the end, they smiled and told us that it was time to part ways.

 

I felt relieved but sad at the same time. Everything just mixed today.

 

"Today was fun!" Little Oppa exclaimed as I gave him and Kimchi a hug. "We'll surely meet again someday, right?"

I can't promise anything so I only smiled.

 

V stood a bit awkwardly as I was about to say my goodbyes to him. I couldn't think of a good way to start so I did it like a robot and formally, "It was nice meeting you."

I could sense Ahra and Jimin were both trying hard to hold their laughter. I bit my lower lip, annoyed.

V coughed on purpose and suddenly, discarded his summer coat and fixed them around my shoulders. "Your s are showing," he told with his cheeks redder than an apple.

I flustered at this point and nudged him by the stomach without a care to his cry for mercy.

"Take your coat back! If you're lending me this then I will have to-!"

"Return it to me." He cut me, having a soft look on his face. "That's my request as King for the day."

"Hey! You're not King! You didn't win!" Little Oppa interrupted.

Ahra and Jimin probably were looking at each other blankly.

 

"Oh whatever. Okay. But I will have to make a request too," I decided.

 

-
--
---

 

That night, I took V's advice in taking a hot bath and not taking it too long. I dried my hair with the towel and I noticed V's coat on my bed as I passed by. Ahra was looking at her phone while laying on her bed, chatting with Jimin.

I took my phone and slid unlock to see an Instagram notification. It was V. He just followed me and I followed back. I opened a photo he tagged me in.

A bright smile formed on my face without a thought as I admired the picture of V and me making weird faces. That was my request and I will never regret making so for the rest of my life. A swarm of butterflies filled my stomach and I squealed excitedly in the room making Ahra sat up wondering what was going on.

Is there a way to describe this unknown feeling? I just don't want to say it. That word. That simple word. It's just weird. Weird for me. It's even weirder than me. Weirder than V. Weirder than anything I had went through that day.

 

When aliens are weird enough, love is much weirder.

 

But if there's one thing I've learned that day... that would be stranger or no stranger, they bring you the new.

And love is a stranger like V was to me and both brought me new feelings and knowledge I never thought of having. 

 

I read V's caption under the photo: 
 

"Look outside the window right now."

author's notes
Disclaimer: This is for proofreading purposes only.