Leader to Maknae

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

This was written around the same time as chap 1 (around a year ago in my archive) so the theme might be redundant. But it's bindong/dongbin so why not?

 


 

Hanbin sighs as he lets himself lean back on the reclining chair; tired eyes staring at the music composition software currently opened in the computer monitor screen.

 

He started working on a new song just after dinner and now it’s already late at night. Though he wanted to add more to the music he's composing, nothing really comes to his mind now so he supposes he should let himself rest. Besides, the next day is going to be hectic with their practices all conjoined for M&M's final match in a few days.

 

Upon returning to his team's practice room to collect his things, he’s greeted with Taeyang-sunbae’s Eyes, Nose, Lips playing in the background. Donghyuk’s there, singing and playing the digital piano even if Hanbin’s supposed to be the only one doing overtime. The leader finds himself surprised.

 

Donghyuk immediately stops practicing as soon as he opens the door; greeting him with a smile.

 

"How's the song composition going?"

 

Hanbin still has his eyes wide as he approaches the younger.

 

"It's good. But why the hell are you still practicing here? You should have gone with the others after dinner."

 

Donghyuk shrugs and gives him a playful grin. "I want to practice more. Didn't you say we shouldn't even be thinking about going home during this time?"

 

"That was aimed for Hongseok-hyung, you pabo."

 

Hanbin takes off his snapback and slaps it on Dong's arm. The kid just stuck his tongue out at him then started lightly playing the intro for Eyes, Nose, Lips.

 

"I'm serious Hanbin-hyung. I really want to practice. I won't be able to sleep right away anyway with the final match already within the week."

 

Hanbin frowns as he wears his snapback again. "That doesn't mean you can overexert yourself. You're doing good. No need for you to do extra hours."

 

He's not allowing himself to go home and rest leaving his dongsaeng there, so he holds Donghyuk's upper arm and tugs him upward.

 

"That's enough. Let’s go home."

 

"Just one more run hyung." Dong pleads. "Really, listen to me one more time then we'll be out of here. I promise."

 

Honestly, Hanbin feels no need to listen. He knows how much Donghyuk improved already and he has no doubts about his brother's place in iKON, but Donghyuk is begging and who is he to say no when someone wants feedback? He finally gives in with a sigh.

 

"Alright. But it's the last one okay?"

 

Donghyuk enthusiastically nods and starts playing the intro while Hanbin goes to sit on the cushioned bench near him. He’s expecting Dong to just sing his own parts but when Junhwe's first lines came up, he leans towards the mic. Hanbin quirked a brow when he realizes what Donghyuk's attempting. Is that the reason why he stayed up late alone?

 

He faithfully listens, marveling at the fact that Donghyuk has smoothly sung both Junhoe and Hongseok's parts. Even if he didn’t attempt the high notes, he sang the other parts impressively and with confidence, despite his naturally thin voice. It’s not perfect, of course, but the strain his voice has when singing the song is almost gone now.

 

Donghyuk looks at him expectantly when the song ended. Hanbin doesn't know exactly what Donghyuk wants him to say. Is his dongsaeng expecting a praise? A full-on criticism? All he got for the moment is that Donghyuk’s delivery is much better than what they practiced hours ago.

 

"That...did you improve again? And in just a few hours of practicing?" Hanbin lightly laughed, both happy and proud at the sudden development. "Are you really human?"

 

"What? You're exaggerating. If there's someone who we should be asking that, it’s you. You're practically a gold machine." Donghyuk tried to sound flippant but the light red flush on his cheeks betrays him. Hanbin smiles a bit at the reaction.

 

"Seriously, I'm really surprised. Imagine the harmonies you can do if you become consistent with that level. And when you become even better… ottoke, I'm raising my expectations of you now."

 

Donghyuk grins, the blush on his face deepening. Then something flashed in his eyes and his grin lowers. Hanbin raised a brow.

 

"Hanbin-hyung." Suddenly, Dong's tone is serious. "Is my improvement obvious? I mean...can anybody tell right away?"

 

B.I is confused with his brother's questions.

 

"What kind of question is that? Of course anyone in their right mind will see it right away..."

 

Then something clicks in Hanbin's mind. Realizing the real reason behind his dongsaeng's sudden extra practice, he sighs almost exasperatedly and glares at him.

 

"Yah, is this about the hate comments about you?"

 

As if caught in a mistake, Donghyuk smiles sadly before looking down.

 

"I'm sorry. I can't really help it you know."

 

"Stop reading those comments. They don't know what they're talking about."

 

"That might be true, but they're still the ones deciding if I'll get in or not. I want to do something to convince them. If practicing more and more is the only way, I'll do it."

 

Hanbin wants to retort but stops himself because he suddenly feels he doesn't have the right to. He's a freaking confirmed member after all and even if he understands where Donghyuk's coming from, he can't imagine how deep his dongsaeng’s worries and anxieties are. Maybe his agitation is even deeper than his own. Seeing Donghyuk forever worrying when he had long proven his worth makes Hanbin feel like he himself did something wrong with his leadership.

 

He stands up from the bench and steadily approached Donghyuk. Taking off his hat again, he places it affectionately on his brother's head.

 

"I'm sorry for letting you feel this way Dongdong. You shouldn't be feeling like this."

 

"Yah, why are you apologizing?" Dong looks up to him in disbelief. "You have nothing to apologize for, and to me of all people. If anything, I should be kneeling right in front of you right now for failing to convince people I'm worth it."

 

"Yah, don't you dare." Hanbin sighs and ruffles his hair frustratingly.

 

Having enough, he crouches down in front of Donghyuk and takes his hand in his, forcing his dongsaeng to look down at him. He knows Donghyuk would protest and make him stand up again so he speaks right away.

 

"You're worth it Donghyuk. I shouldn't be saying this, but I can't imagine iKON without you. Don't you dare think low of yourself since you're so much more than a vocal, and I regret that the audience can't see that clearly.”

 

"I'm telling you hyung, you don't have any fault in this."

 

"As a leader, I do have some faults with your situation. Don't even try to convince me otherwise."

 

Donghyuk shakes his head, sighs, then raises his other hand to affectionately pat his leader's head; a sad but grateful smile on his lips.

 

"I don't blame you for anything really. But since you keep on insisting, I'll just have to work harder so you won't have to worry about those things anymore."

 

"Aish. What are you saying? I'll worry even if I don't want to. That's what brothers do."

 

Donghyuk sighs again and finally lets out a more genuine smile. Knowing that the issue's already over, Hanbin stands up while still holding his hand.

 

"Just do your best. Don't worry about other things. I'll continue to protect you."

 

Still smiling, his dongsaeng nods and raises a thumbs-up before standing up too.

 

"That sounds like a good pick-up line. You can end your 18 years single life with that."

 

Hanbin snickers then drops Dong’s hand to playfully pinch his cheek, causing him to laugh.

 

"Yah, don't twist my heartfelt words into something like that. Do you realize how embarrassing it is to say that out loud?"

 

"I know. I'm sorry, and thank you. I'll do my best so I can protect you too."

 

"Yah." B.I blushes a bit. "You're a hundred years too early to say that, with all the aegyo you've been pulling off."

 

Donghyuk smirks. "Yet I'm more buff than you. I can be a manly man, just like what I said in the China fan meet."

 

"Geez. Alright. You can aim for that."

 

Hanbin laughs and wraps his arm around his dongsaeng’s shoulder, squeezing him affectionately. Donghyuk beams and takes off the snapback on his head to return it to its owner. He chuckles when he ends up placing it lopsidedly on Hanbin’s head, but the elder didn’t mind. Together, they leave the practice room.

 

.

.

.