Don't Say Goodbye

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

 

It happened so fast. They all thought they're already safe as they watched the security drag their deranged hater off the park of their apartment complex. Then out of nowhere, as if waiting for the right timing all along, another one ran towards them in desperation, holding a knife large enough to kill a person with a few stabs.

 

She was running towards Hanbin and Junhwe and Donghyuk was the first one who saw. The two didn't even realize at first. It was only when someone had pushed them aggressively from their position with a shout of "Look out!" and Donghyuk was on the ground, half-conscious and blood pooling on his side, that the horror of what happened came to them. Their eyes were locked on Donghyuk as he groggily spared them each a glance before giving out an awkward smile, then finally closing his eyes.

 

Suddenly, Bobby was screaming Donghyuk's name. Yunhyeong and Jinhwan rushed towards their fallen member, while a shaking Chanwoo tried to help Hanbin and Junhwe up. The two of them didn’t budge; frozen as if their souls were out and everything around them was happening in muted slow motion. More security came and had quickly apprehended the attacker who seemed also shocked at her actions.

 

There were shouts around them, hands desperately pulling and names being called over and over. Yet amidst the chaos around them, Hanbin and Junhwe remained shocked. Blood continued to seep from Donghyuk's side, the knife used only about a foot away from him.

 

They were never the same after that.

 



---

 



"YG group iKON attacked at their apartment complex by saesangs. Member Kim Donghyuk stabbed and confined at the hospital."

 

The headlines immediately after that and during the next few days were all about the incident. Major news stations covered the story, even international news headlined it. The CCTV footage showing the attack and Donghyuk saving his two groupmates was played again and again in major news shows and websites.

 

The official story was that two haters of iKON have stalked and planned to threaten them into retiring from the k-pop scene. When the first person was apprehended, the other one panicked and lost her mind, running towards the group to attack Hanbin and Junhwe since they're one of the most popular members. But Donghyuk saw her and acted just in time to push the two out of the way, but not enough for him to avoid the knife. He was injured on his right side, on his lungs, and if he wasn't rushed to the hospital right away, he would have died.

 

It was already a week after that, and Donghyuk still hasn't woken up.

 

The whole iKON fandom mourned. Donghyuk was hailed a hero, a brave soul, an angel, etcetera. All YG groups expressed their concern for them and their anger for the lax security in the apartment complex. YG Entertainment pressed charges against the complex and the two attackers. Dozens of groups from other companies expressed their sympathies, sending flowers and other stuff to the group and Donghyuk. Their WINNER hyungs were vocal about the incident in particular, crying in an interview and asking why their dongsaengs have to be hated on to that extent when singing and dancing were the only things they did since they were young. Petitions were created asking for more celebrity protection, and more idols are being vocal about the fanwars that led to it, because it was found out the attackers were actually frustrated saesang fans of other groups who directed their negative feelings towards iKON.

 

Those groups received a lot of hate when that news came about. They apologized profusely and even personally offered any assistance they could give to iKON. Still, hate comments and messages were sent towards them. It only stopped when Bobby, Jinhwan, Yunhyeong and Chanwoo uploaded a video at iKON's official YouTube channel, pleading for everybody to just stop hating because it doesn't help Donghyuk in his situation.

 

Everyone immediately noticed their tired expressions. Yunhyeong and Jinhwan had bloodshot eyes. Chanwoo can barely look at the camera. Bobby, who talked most of the video, not only looked tired but angry as well. The absence of their leader and main vocal didn't escape anyone's attention. Concern for those two was rampant in forums and other news portals. Then YG released a statement.

 

Hanbin and Junhwe were experiencing post-traumatic stress and refused to show themselves in public. Hanbin in particular attached a small message, telling the fans not to worry about them and to pray for Donghyuk.

 

Of course, that's just lip service. Because the truth is, Hanbin and Junhwe were not okay. Hanbin was either at the YG office or at the hospital. Junhwe locked himself at his parents' house, refusing to go out after the first time he visited Donghyuk at the hospital.

 


---

 



Bobby sighed when upon entering Donghyuk's hospital room, he saw Hanbin slacked on the chair beside the bed, hand firm on his brother's own.

 

"You're here again." Bobby stated, placing the bag of drink and snacks he got for himself on the side table. He sat on the couch near it.

 

"You should really stop this Hanbin-ah. You've been going here every day and it’s obvious you're already tired. Please just rest for now."

 

The leader didn't say anything for a moment before shaking his head.

 

"No way I'm leaving Donghyuk like this. I can't."

 

"...Hanbin-ah..."

 

"You don't understand Jiwon-hyung." Hanbin suddenly turned to give the elder a small glare and a hopeless look. "Donghyuk saved my life and Junhwe's. He freaking sacrificed himself for us. And do you know what he did when he fell on the ground?!"

 

Bobby didn't say anything. He knew, but let the younger boy vent.

 

"He freaking looked at the two of us and smiled in relief! Instead of crying for help, he looked at us instead. So if you're telling me to abandon him during this time, no. If I have to live here I'll do it. My parents and Hanbyul will understand. All of you should understand!"

 

At that point, Hanbin was already tearing up. Bobby himself felt his own tears forming too. He shook his head and stood up.

 

"Alright. If that's what you want. Don't forget to eat and drink." He said as he pointed towards the plastic bag he brought before going out of the room.

 

He leaned on the wall beside the door as soon as he's out. Covering his eyes with his hand, he wondered what the hell he should do to stop his team from falling apart.

 



---
 

 


Junhwe didn't move from his spot in his bed when the door to his room opened and in came Yunhyeong, Chanwoo, and Jinhwan.

 

"I'm not coming out if that's what you're all here for." He bluntly told his brothers as he casually fiddled on his phone. Jinhwan gave Yunhyeong a nod as if signaling him to do something.

 

Yunhyeong nodded back, took a couple of quick steps towards Junhwe, before snatching the phone from him.

 

"Ya! What the hell?!”

 

"Shut up. You think you're the only one affected by what happened?" Jinhwan scolded, immediately stopping Junhwe in his incoming tirade.

 

"Stop this nonsense. Nothing will change even if you rot in here. Don't waste your time and go practice your song lines."

 

Junhwe gave his hyung a disbelieved look. "Practice? Really?"

 

He stood up and glared at the three. "Why do you think I'm here instead of practicing?! It’s because I freaking can't! I can't sing!"

 

The three looked at each other before Chanwoo spoke.

 

"What do you mean you can't sing?"

 

"It’s just as I said!" Junhwe shouted. "Ever since then I can't sing. Whenever I tried, nothing comes out. The doctor said it’s psychological and that I need to overcome it myself, well that! As if it’s that easy!"

 

"Junhwe...-

 

"Donghyuk almost died ok?!" Junhwe pulled on his hair  in frustration. "I was taller than him but I ing failed to see the second one. If I had noticed I could have pulled him together with me so he wouldn't be stabbed! You have no idea how many scenarios I thought of that could have saved him!"

 

Junhoe sobbed and collapsed on the bed. "And every time I close my eyes I can see his relieved smile and blood. When I saw him at the hospital, I can't bear it anymore. He should be dancing at the practice rooms right now, not lying at the hospital as if he's going to ing fade!"

 

He gritted his teeth, tears coming out more aggressively.

 

"I don't know what I'll do if he..."

 

The other three can't think of anything to say to comfort their brother. Instead, they all climbed on his bed and pulled him in a group hug, all of them crying for both their unconscious main dancer and their traumatized vocalist.

 

 

---

 



A week turned into two, then three. When a month went by, YG is forced to delay the impending comeback of iKON. Fans and other Kpop fans were understanding, even telling them to take their time to recover.

 

Hanbin felt guilty and sorry for it, but even if the comeback wasn't delayed, he seriously can't see himself performing when he doesn't even know if Donghyuk's going to wake up. He knew his responsibilities, his position as the leader. He shouldn't be wallowing in guilt and sorrow but whenever he closed his eyes...

 

"Hanbin..."

 

The leader widened his eyes when he saw the rest of iKON entering Donghyuk's hospital room – finally, together with Junhwe. Seeing their main vocalist made Hanbin stand up from his seat and pull him into a comforting hug. He knew Junhwe refused to go out so to see him there with the group again makes him relieved.

 

"You lost weight." He remarked with a sad smile, a hand on June's shoulder. "I'm glad you're here."

 

The taller boy nodded and took a glance towards their sleeping brother. Understandingly, Hanbin stepped aside and let him take a seat on the chair he's previously sitting on.

 

Junhwe cautiously looked at the beeping heart monitor machine, as if affirming to himself that Donghyuk is still alive. He reached out to gently hold his hand.

 

Again, tears formed on his eyes so he bit his lip. He tried to hold it in but he can't. His grip on Donghyuk's hand tightened.

 

"I'm sorry..." He muttered, the tears already staining his cheeks. "I’m so sorry…Wake up already. Please…"

 

He sniffed. "I can't sing with you here like this so please just open your eyes!"

 

They’ve already weeped countless times but the tears still continued to fall. It’s already been a month but they can't still get their bearings together. All of them felt the glaring absence of Donghyuk.

 

Suddenly, the door opened and in came Donghyuk's mom. The six all turned to greet her with the utmost respect they could muster. The woman smiled and placed a plastic bag full of bottles and snacks.

 

"I heard you're all here so I bought some snacks and drinks for all of you."

 

Hanbin and the others bowed again. "Ah, kamsahamnida auntie."

 

Donghyuk's mom nodded then faced them fully with a serious expression.

 

"After eating, please return to YG and don't come back here again. At least until you had your comeback."

 

With the sudden statement, the rest of iKON widened their eyes and stiffened. They stared at their auntie, making sure that what they heard was right. When she wasn't flinching, Bobby opened his mouth to speak.

 

"May we ask why? Are we...are we becoming a burden to you?"

 

"No, not to me." The woman answered with a sad smile. "But you are becoming a burden not only to your company and fans, but to Donghyuk as well."

 

The boys tensed up again as if they've been told something they didn't want to hear. Their auntie noticed so she continued speaking.

 

"I'm grateful for your concern and love for my son, and I know he feels it even if he's not awake. But all of you continuing like this will not help him either." She narrowed her eyes a bit.

 

"In fact, I'm sure he won’t be happy with what you're all doing now. He'll probably feel bad at himself for causing more trouble, and then be frustrated at you because you chose to abandon your songs and fans for him."

 

Junhwe clenched his fists before gently speaking out.

 

"Pardon me auntie, but it’s not easy for us to act as if nothing happened." He bit his lip to control another onslaught of tears. "He's our brother and he almost...died to save me and Hanbin. We can't just go on when he's like this."

 

Their auntie regarded him for a few moments then nodded. "I know. But you also can't go on coming here every day and sacrificing the time you should be using for your comeback. Please straighten your priorities."

 

It was a harsh request, more so that it’s coming from Donghyuk's mother herself. But then, they were all reminded that it must be more painful for her to say those things because she's basically asking for them to "let go" of her son and move on. What sets the nail is the fact that she's absolutely right. Everything she said is true. Donghyuk will definitely be angry with what they were doing. The sudden shame with it started to clear their heads.

 

"...It’s only until we had our comeback right, auntie?" Hanbin asked after a minute of suffocating silence. "You'll let us see Donghyukie when he had our comeback?"

 

Donghyuk's mom smiled again then nodded. "That's right. But maybe by then, he's already awake and would be catching up to all of you."

 

The positive statement caused the others to smile slightly and feel a new sense of hope. That's right, Donghyuk isn't weak. He'll definitely fight to go back to them.

 

"Alright untie." Hanbin said, sighing deeply before glancing at each of s. He and Jinhwan exchanged nods, then he faced the woman again. "We'll do as you say. We'll work hard to put out an amazing comeback."

 

Donghyuk's mom sighed in relief then smiled more. "That's very good to hear. But don't do it just because of my son. Do it for your fans and for yourselves."

 

She glanced at her son's same-age friend. "Junhwe-ya, I heard you can't sing. Is that right?"

 

The boy gulped then looked down as if ashamed. "...yes."

 

"You'll definitely be able to sing now." She said with determination. "I know this is difficult, but forget about my son for this time. Instead, think of your family and those who supported you since WIN. Think of your members who rely on you. And if you can't help thinking about Donghyuk, instead of what happened think of the happy times you had with each other."

 

Junhwe was tempted to say that forgetting Donghyuk and what happened is impossible, but he zipped his lip. He just nodded and told himself he's going to try. If not for himself, then for Donghyuk. For their families, their fans. He'll get over himself and sing again.

 

"Hanbin," their auntie turned to the leader. "Please don't punish yourself for something you have no fault with ok? Donghyuk saved you because he wanted to. He didn't do it to make you be depressed like this. Be the leader and friend he admired so much."

 

The last line struck a lightning on Hanbin. What he's been doing is very far from being a leader, far from the Kim Hanbin Donghyuk looked up to. A small fire was created inside him. He can't let him down like this.

 

"And to Yunhyeong, Jinhwan and Chanwoo, please do your best as well. It’s difficult, but please continue to be the iKON you're all proud of. My son loves you all so please place more importance in yourselves too."

 

Yunhyeong, Jinhwan and Chanwoo all nodded solemly as they wiped the tear stains on their faces. Donghyuk's mom smiled again and bowed slightly in request, tears on her eyes.

 

"He'll live, and he'll come back. For now, continue as iKON with just the six of you."

 


---

 


A day after that fateful talk, the remaining members of iKON all went to the YG headquarters. Many fans were waiting across the street so all of them were spotted. Soon, pictures of them were circulated in the Internet and speculation of a new comeback schedule was running across forum threads. A rumor however that they're dropping Donghyuk as a member became popular because of the hate and negative response it received from commenters. Still, YG was bombarded with demands for a clear statement regarding Donghyuk's place in iKON.

 

"Kim Donghyuk being dropped out of iKON is false. That's not even being thought as a possibility by YG and the members themselves. iKON will continue as 6 members for now, and will return to be 7 members once Donghyuk recovers."

 

The official statement placated many fans. Some haters commented that it’s just lip service since they're not even sure Donghyuk will wake up, but such statements are quickly buried by responses against it.

 

A month and a half after that, YG announced that iKON will have their comeback in the next month, with a completely remade mini album featuring 6 songs.

 

The title track - which all members contributed lyrics and composition to, was marketed as a slow hip hop song along the feel of their songs Apology and Just Go, and was something that made Tablo cry and Yan Hyun Suk approve in just one listen.

 

The anticipation for the song was sky high because of that.

 


---

 


The song "Please" debuted at number 1 Melon and quickly dominated all the charts soon after. The MV itself reached a million hits in record-breaking speed despite its simple production because it confirms fans' suspicions that the song is dedicated to Donghyuk.

 

"Please" contains lyrics thanking someone for seemingly ordinary things such as buying instant ramyun and staying late at night watching movies with them. Then the lyrics shifted to a plea for forgiveness because they didn't realize how important those times were, and they were pleading for those times to come back not to stay only as memories, but so they could rewrite them as something more meaningful. Bobby and B.I's raps were more emotionally intense than their previous songs but were done in a way that wouldn't let the listener feel left out of the emotions, even if it was obvious they were rapping for something specific.

 

Fans deduced the song was for Donghyuk, but because the lyrics can be related to anyone, they weren't so sure. It was only when the MV was released that their deductions are confirmed.

 

The MV was reminiscent of Taeyang's Eyes Nose Lips. The six iKON members stood in a large dimmed empty room with a big screen behind them. As they started to sing, footage of iKON's interactions were played on the screen. At first all members were seen until it was only Donghyuk's footages. Many were videos of him practing singing and dancing, or fooling around with the members. The last scene was the six members being dimmed out until only the big screen was shown where a footage of iKON, as 7, were hugging and waving to the camera.

 


---

 


iKON's comeback stage was live at Inkigayo. The audience has never been so full, not only because of iKONICS, but because even some from other fandoms came to support them. Banners like "Cheer up iKON" and "Forever iKON" were raised by fans. There were also lots of Donghyuk banners despite his absence.

 

Their comeback started with their second title track which is more dance focused. After that, they sang Please.

 

Hanbin announced as the first notes of the song played, that the song is for "their brother who's fighting his best to come back". At first everyone was composed, the audience even singing along. But when the last chorus came, Junhwe was already tearing up and can't manage to sing properly anymore. The audience continued singing for him until he got his composure. By the end, all members of iKON were sobbing already. Shots of crying audience members were shown as well.

 

iKON won the trophy for that week and for the next two weeks after that.

 


---

 


It was already four weeks since their comeback but Hanbin and the others were still unable to see Donghyuk. They rushed to the hospital after their Inkigayo performance, only to find that the room Dongyuk used was empty. The doctor told them that he was transferred to a new facility so he could be taken cared of better. A letter from his mom was left for them to read, which says she's sorry for breaking her promise and pleading for them to continue doing their best because Donghyuk's the same.

 

Honestly, they all felt betrayed. But with more thinking, they understood. It also helped that YG sajangnim himself even approved of the transfer because he knew it's best for all of them. Still, it hurts. Seeing Donghyuk again was one of their prime motivations but most of all, the fear of slowly forgetting him and being used to his absence is what makes them on edge.

 

They have no intentions of being used to his absence. That's the worst thing they could do for their brother.

 


---

 


It was the day of their goodbye stage, the last time iKON can perform Please in broadcasts.

 

They were told to head straight to the YG office and to their practice room. Apparently, YG prepared a simple celebratory party for their successful promotions of their mini album. Of course the 6 boys were grateful for it but at the back of their minds, all of them can't celebrate to the fullest knowing that they left behind one of their members.

 

Bobby was the one in front of the group when he held the door knob to their practice room. He was about to twist it when he saw someone inside there through the small door window.

 

Someone was playing their other title track, the one with more dance steps, and was dancing along with it. It didn't take long for Bobby to figure out who it was.

 

Suddenly, he let go of the door knob and had covered his mouth with his hand in shock. Teardops were instantly in his eyes. Jinhwan noticed his odd behavior so he peeked at the window too, only to end up almost sobbing instantly.

 

The other members were suddenly worried and had asked them what's wrong. Bobby and Jinhwan weren't able to answer so Hanbin, who's at the back, went to the front to see what made his two brothers upset.

 

He froze for the first three seconds. Then he was gasping, eyes almost automatically wet, as he carefully opened the door with bated breath.

 

"Donghyuk...?"

 

The name caused Junhwe, Yunhyeong and Chanwoo to all whip their heads towards their leader and simultaneously rushed in to see.

 

Junhwe almost saw everything in slow motion as their 7th member, his brother who saved his life, had turned towards them to raise a hand in greeting and give out the smile they were deprived of for the last months.

 

"Hey guys. Did you all miss me?"

 

It wasn't even a couple of seconds when Yunhyeong and Chanwoo dashed towards him and took him in a tight hug. The two were already wailing and reciting his name a few times. Bobby went in but just stood at the side because he's too overwhelmed. Jinhwan went to hug Donghyuk as well but pulled away after a few seconds, collapsing in a crouching position at the other side. He was trembling and gasping sobs.

 

Hanbin and Junhwe can't take it any longer. They both went towards him as Yunhyeong and Chanwoo understandingly stepped aside for the two of them. As soon as space was given, Hanbin reached and cupped Donghyuk's face in his hands. His expression was that of bewilderment and guilt.

 

"Donghyuk-ah...is it really you...?"

 

Donghyuk nodded, eyes already moist. "Yeah."

 

That was all Hanbin needed. He released a sob and pulled him in a fierce hug, a line of apologies and relief ready to be unleashed from within his heart. But Junhwe suddenly pulled Donghyuk from his grip and hugged him as well, already saying the things Hanbin wanted to say. He was sobbing aggressively.

 

"I'm so sorry Donghyuk… I'm so sorry, and thank you… I owe you my life but please don't ever do that kind of thing again."

 

Hanbin nodded and wrapped an arm around Donghyuk from behind. "That's right. iKON won't be iKON without you. We'll forever be grateful for what you've done, but it's more important for you to be safe."

 

Donghyuk chuckled amidst his tears and had reached to pat Junhwe on his back and Hanbin on his head.

 

"I did what I did because I want to. Sacrificing myself for my brothers' safety is something I never regretted. Don't blame yourselves ok?"

 

By that point, Bobby and Jinhwan had gone to embrace him too. Then Yunhyeong and Chanwoo followed. What's supposed to be a fun party turned into a reunion of tears and relief.

 

Finally, they're complete again.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

Or at least, that’s how it should have been.

 

The next time the six members of iKON really saw Donghyuk was 3 weeks after their triple crown. The weather was great, perfect for a casual walk around a park or a game of basketball at a nearby public court.

 

But iKON was inside a hospital room, gathered around an unconscious figure in the middle, Hanbin and Junhwe holding each of Donghyuk’s hands. His family was behind them, crying and rubbing circles on their backs.

 

Silent tears fall down on each member’s faces, a spark of life forever disappearing from their eyes, as the sound of a flat line going off in the background serves as an accompaniment to the shattering of their hearts. They weren’t even able to say a proper goodbye.

 

 

 

How will they live from now on?

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hanbin and Junhwe simultaneously got up in gasps, sweat running their temples and necks.

 

They huffed for air, eyes looking around as if it’s the first time they’ve seen their own room. Then they looked at each other.

 

Hanbin gulps. “Did you…?”

 

“…a nightmare…” Junhwe runs a hand slowly through his hair, eyes blinking a few times. “Donghyuk was…”

 

“Yeah, same…”

 

The door suddenly opened and in came Donghyuk. At the background, the loud noises of their other members talking from the dining area can be heard.

 

“Ah, finally. I thought I’m gonna have to pull the two of you out of bed.” He snickers and points behind him with a thumb. “Come on, we’re almost done with breakfast. Bobby-hyung’s about to eat your share of eggs.”

 

Hanbin and Junhwe just stares at him, both of them half bewildered and half relieved. So relieved they would have scrambled out of their beds and grab Donghyuk to them just to make sure he’s really standing there and breathing, but Donghyuk leaves the room before any of it could occur. Jinhwan was yelling their names from the dining room, demanding that they get up already using his nagging mom tone.

 

They breathe in and out. Everything’s alright. Donghyuk’s alive.

 

But there is still a nagging feeling inside of them. They are relieved, but they can’t relax. It’s as if they're being pushed to do something.

 

It’s just a nightmare but it’s too vivid, too realistic. They can still feel the dread as it ran through each of their veins, like some sort of warning.

 

“Hyung…” Junhwe calls as he gets down from the upper bunk of the double-decker bed he shares with Donghyuk. He looks uneasy.  “How about we all cancel shopping today and just stay in?”

 

Hanbin didn’t need to think twice. He nods and grabs his smartphone under his pillow, quickly navigating to the number of their manager.

 

“Hello, Yunhyuk-hyung?...Yeah, look, I think it’s better if we just rest here in our dorm for today…thanks. I’ll let the members know…”

 

Donghyuk should be really safe now.

 

Right?

 

.

.

.

 

 


 

 

...I thought a change of tone would be nice. hahaha...

Anyway, this blew up and I completely let my imagination run wild with this one. It's just three drabbles in my archive but as I revise it kept getting longer. lol. Might be all over the place too, but it's a dream so I'm excused right? XD

Also, Donghyuk's supposed to be really dead but I can't do it *sobs*. I'm not cut out for the true tragic stuff. No way I'm killing my sunshine child even in fanfiction.

Have a happy day, everyone! :)