Prompt 9: I See You More Than You Know

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

Prompt # 9 for elisadewi

Genre : Mafia, Action, Romance, little angst (maybe)

Pairing : Chanwoo x Donghyuk (Well, I love jundong. But it's just this couple is rare!!!)

Plot : donghyuk protect chanwoo when fighting and got hurt

 

I admit. I had a challenging time writing this because aside from being jundong trash, I'm starting to get fond of romantic Jinhwan x Chanwoo lately. I had fun with this routine-breaker though. (finally a non-jundong prompt!) (will still prefer jundong though please forgive me)

And I'm sorry for taking almost a month to update. I was greeted by three work projects after a short vacay and most of my time went to that. Anyway, I hope elisadewi and everyone else will enjoy this! :)

 


 

 

Being the one and only son of a mafia boss has its perks. He gets to have everything and do anything he wants without worrying about the consequences. Not that Chanwoo is the impulsive and spoiled type to do anything and have everything, but he’s aware of how far he can go and will only use that advantage when necessary. Mino-hyungnim once told him he’ll be a great boss one day because he inherited that same trait from his dad. Being likened to the current boss is a compliment that both honors and scares him.

 

It’s not that Chanwoo underestimates his father. He knows very well the legends of his dad’s victories against other mafia groups. However, the credit isn’t always just for his dad alone. More than anything, the victories of their group can also be attributed to the presence of father’s elite men; Mino-hyungnim included. Having his own group of highly skilled people with absolute loyalty for him is an important task he has to do. Fortunately, he already has three people who he knows he can count his life on and make him flourish. Including him, they all grew up together and had sworn since childhood to live and die for each other.

 

Yet that’s also the problem for Chanwoo. Because included in that three people is Donghyuk.

 

Donghyuk, who he once looked up to as a cherished hyung. Donghyuk, who smiles and laughs so purely but works with deadly precision and controlled ruthlessness for him. Donghyuk, who makes Chanwoo’s heart beat and ache all at once.

 

Donghyuk, who Chanwoo wants nothing more but to stay safe, happy, and be loved by him.

 

If Chanwoo has to name one disadvantage of being the heir of the 4th largest mafia organization in the country, it has to be that.

 

 

---

 

 

Donghyuk doesn’t know though and seems to not share his feelings. The way Donghyuk treats Chanwoo is like he has a younger friend and… “brother” he protects and takes care of. Chanwoo was so very grateful for it in the past when he was younger. Now? Not so much.

 

He looks up as the door opens, not caring that he’s losing the game app he’s half-heartedly playing on his phone. Yunhyeong comes in with his pleasant smile, arms already outstretched as if asking for a hug, but Chanwoo ignores him and goes straight to the person behind.

 

“Donghyukie!”

 

He wraps his longer limbs around the smaller male, grinning when he can literally feel Donghyuk smile as his face is pressed on his shoulder.

 

“I missed you.” he says, grinning wider when Donghyuk hugs him back, laughing lightly.

 

“I missed you too, Chanu-ya.”

 

“Uhh, hello? I’m still here? Don’t I get a hug too?”

 

Chanwoo sticks his tongue out to Yunhyeong, still refusing to let go of Donghyuk.

 

“I’m sick of you hyung, so no.”

 

“But you’re not sick of Donghyuk? That’s unfair!”

 

“If you nag our young master all the time, of course he’ll get sick of you.” Donghyuk retorts for him, slipping him a wink before making a move to pull away.

 

Chanwoo doesn’t want to. He hesitates for a small moment, tightening his grip for a split second, before letting Donghyuk go.

 

Junhwe, sworn brother no. 3, is as late as always. But it’s justifiable this time because he brings news of a mission assigned specifically for Chanwoo and his group, directly ordered by his father. It’s a task meant to see if he’s ready to take on a more important role in the organization aside from being the boss’ “spoiled” son.

 

“We have to succeed in this so Chanu’s position as the next boss will be solidified.” says Junhwe as he takes a handful of nuts from the glass platter in the middle of the table, popping one by one into his mouth. “We start tomorrow. As long as we get the documents and take control of the 2 gangs, we’re good.”

 

Chanwoo nods and is about to say something when Donghyuk cuts in with a plan already thought out in his head. Donghyuk is the unofficial strategist of their group. Most of his plans end up in success and it’s in their best interest to follow.

 

“June and I complement each other in combat so we’ll take care of the gangs. Yunhyeong-hyung will accompany Chanu-ya to retrieve the documents.”

 

Following Donghyuk’s plan is the best course of action. However, contrary to Junhwe and Yunhyeong, Chanwoo frowns and blurts out a “No”. All three of them look at him in surprise.

 

“Okay… seems the young master has a better plan?” Yunhyeong asks in genuine curiosity.

 

No, he doesn’t. The only reason Chanwoo disagreed is because Donghyuk will definitely be put in danger with his plan and Chanwoo doesn’t want that. Never mind that Junhwe’s there to back Donghyuk up, and Donghyuk is a very capable fighter as well.

 

“Chanwoo?”

 

“I just think it’s time for me to be hands-on. No more staying above deck and watching you guys handle the brunt of everything.” he narrows his eyes as he glances at each of his friends, lingering his gaze on Donghyuk. “I didn’t train in combat with you guys for nothing. What kind of boss I’ll be if I can’t fight alongside my closest people?”

 

Yunhyeong and Junhwe exchanged looks, nodding slowly at each other. Chanwoo can see they’re impressed by his suggestion. Donghyuk though, he doesn’t seem keen to doing what he said.

 

And Chanwoo knows why. That look Donghyuk’s shooting him is the same ones he gives out when they were beating up bullies during high school. It’s the look of a worried older brother. He clenches his fists and maintains eye contact with him unwaveringly, desperate to let him see that he won’t stay back this time.

 

“Okay. Let’s do what Chanwoo wants.” Donghyuk sighs a bit, a giving expression on his face. “It’s fun to burst into the front door once in a while.”

 

Chanwoo grins. “And we’ll do it in a flashy way. Make it memorable.”

 

“I like the sound of that!” Junhwe remarks with a smirk, wrapping an arm around his shoulder. Yunhyeong agrees with a thumbs-up.

 

And Donghyuk. He sighs again, then shows that smile that says he’s giving his full trust and confidence, which he should. Chanwoo will do everything to make sure the mission is a success, and that he’ll bring Donghyuk (and Yunhyeong and Junhwe) home safe.

 

And probably, hopefully, make Donghyuk see him beyond than just a friend and brother.

 

 

---

 

 

‘Bursting through the front door’ means the four of them will do their two tasks together. No diversions and no hiding either. The last time they did something like that, it was 3 years after high school and they’re assigned to take out a small trespassing gang. It was a complete success even though they’re greenhorns during that time. Now that they have much more experience, things should go more smoothly.

 

But just in case,

 

“Hyung, if things get dangerous, I want you to grab Donghyukie and get him out.”

 

He has his grip tight around Yunhyeong’s arm to emphasize his point, make him see that he won’t take no for an answer. They slip out glances towards Junhwe and the person they’re talking about, both busy looking through maps and analyzing escape route options.

 

Yunhyeong takes a longer moment to stare at them before giving Chanwoo a concerned yet helpless look.

 

“Okay, young master. But you’re not gonna impress Donghyuk with that.”

 

Chanwoo gives the other a grin then lets him go. “That’s fine. I’ll think about winning him back later.”

 

 

---

 

 

It’s the classic setup. Manipulate things in the background so the opportunistic low-rank traitor who holds the stolen documents, and the two gangs who are causing trouble in their area, are all on the same place. Donghyuk handled that and now, they’re ready to do an upfront attack.

 

Chanwoo commands their lesser ranked allies to get into position, eyeing his three friends one by one. Yunhyeong already has his gun out while Junhwe is tugging his assault gloves tighter. Donghyuk is standing rather casually beside him, one hand on a pocket of his pants and one hand holding his own gun.

 

“Chanu-ya.” Donghyuk gives him a serious look. “The documents are the main objective here. Once we get a hold of them, you can let us handle the rest.”

 

Chanwoo can feel himself stiffen. “What? I thought we agreed we’ll do everything together.”

 

“Yeah. But you’re still YG’s heir. Even above the documents, your safety is the priority.”

 

He stares at Donghyuk, watching him expertly add more bullets into his gun’s magazine. A retort is already at the tip of his tongue, ready to convince Donghyuk he can hold his ground to not only fight alongside them, but also protect him and their friends as well. He’s not the same child who hid behind Donghyuk’s back, crying and expecting him and Yunhyeong and Junhwe to protect him.

 

His father once told him that being a boss of the organization also entails finding the balance between being a sworn brother, and being the leader in every sense of the word. Heart versus logic; finding the place in between.

 

Chanwoo’s already struggling on that now. He wonders if he’ll be able to take it when he officially becomes the boss.

 

“No.” he frowns and takes out his own gun from under his coat. “What if something happens to the team? To you? And I’m not there to help? You think I’d want that?”

 

He doesn’t have to look to know that Yunhyeong and Junhwe are giving him concerned glances. Donghyuk is doing the same. Then he hears a small sigh and the familiar warmth of Donghyuk’s hand gripping his shoulder and squeezing gently, before letting go.

 

“Fine, we do what you want anyway. I’ll be counting on you, young master.”

 

“That’s exactly what I want you to do, Donghyuk.”

 

He raises his hand and exchanges glances with his other two friends. With his signal, the raid begins.

 

 

---

 

 

Sometimes, Chanwoo can be jealous of Yunhyeong and Junhwe.

 

Junhwe is Donghyuk’s partner in field jobs since the first time they’re assigned to do such tasks. They complement each other very well; mastering the balance between Junhwe’s hand to hand combat style and Donghyuk’s preferred gun-and-knives combination. They know each other’s blind spots and works to cover each other so naturally.

 

Then there’s Yunhyeong. He’s like a chameleon; adjusting almost instantaneously to make sure the targets are hit while the counterattacks to them miss. He works well with Junhwe and Donghyuk too but just considering Donghyuk, Yunhyeong has this ability to read him like an open book manual. Each move Donghyuk makes, Yunhyeong would immediately know what to do.

 

In short terms, the three of them are an almost-flawless team. Chanwoo is proud of that but at the same time, he’s envious of how Junhwe and Yunhyeong can support Donghyuk so well that he can completely put his faith and trust in them.

 

And Chanwoo? Well, here he is, shooting enemies. But even then, two of YG men are surrounding him as bodyguards and he can only watch in frustration because , he wants to be a real member in that golden trio team too. He wants to be the one who can support and complement Donghyuk the most. Being the boss’ son and heir is being a hindrance.

 

“You alright there, young master?” one of the bodyguards ask him. That’s the third time.

 

He frowns; his bad mood just deepening. “Quit asking me that question and just focus on eliminating enemies.”

 

Then he sees the traitor trying to slip out from the chaos in the warehouse, hiding behind crates at the upper deck to escape through the small fire exit there. He remembers the thing about striking a balance. Well, since he’s frustrated now, might as well put that into good use. The sooner he gets the documents, the faster he’ll get his team to safety. Get Donghyuk out of danger.

 

He orders the two bodyguards to focus on helping his friends, frowning at them again to make them see he’s serious, before making his way to follow the traitor. He easily shoots those who try to obstruct him; his steps careful and silent just the way he was trained to do.

 

3 shots, just before the target can access the fire exit door. Two on the man’s legs and one on his midsection. The traitor spits out blood and coughs, glaring at him as he walk cautiously towards him.

 

“Hand it over.” he orders as he crouches beside the target’s limp form on the floor, pointing the mouth of his gun on the man’s temple.

 

“Go to hell, you brat.”

 

Chanwoo releases an indignant huff. He’s always called a “brat” even though he’s already passed the age of being called as such. It’s getting annoying.

 

“Where are the files you stole?”

 

“ you.”

 

He averts his aim to the man’s hip, shooting it one time to make him scream and bleed more.

 

“Come on. This brat can kill you, you know. The next one’s on your head.”

 

The man visibly tenses up more at that, mumbling a “godammit”, before shakily reaching out under his jacket to pull a folder. Chanwoo grabs on it fast and stands up, still on alert as he opens it to see if the files they need really are inside. They are.

 

He grins to himself then takes a peek at the target, heaving a small sigh of relief to see the man already unconscious. The chaos at the ground floor is done too. As he makes his way towards them, he can see a few of the gang members scramming out of the warehouse while the unconscious and bleeding bodies of their allies littered the floor.

 

Junhwe and Yunhyeong stride towards him, expectant yet concerned expressions on their faces. He sees Donghyuk bearing the same face as well, so he grins wider and raises the folder for everyone to see. Instantly, everyone cheers.

 

Except Donghyuk. Because while they’re all celebrating, Donghyuk had screamed his name and roughly pressed his body to him, shielding him from a bullet shot by the traitor he carelessly left behind at the upper deck.

 

 

---

 

 

Donghyuk has his beautiful smile on his face when he returned to the YG Group compound after getting out of the hospital. Chanwoo wants to smile back but he can’t.

 

“You shouldn’t have done that.” he blurts as soon as the other YG people left.

 

Donghyuk drops his smile a little bit. He’s still trying to maintain it but Chanwoo knows Donghyuk knows what he’s talking about.

 

“I did what I had to do.”

 

“No. I have two bodyguards with me who could have shielded me instead.”

 

“What?” This time, Donghyuk really drops his smile. “So what are you implying? That I should have just stood at the side even though I saw that er shooting a gun at you?”

 

Chanwoo clenches his fists. He sees the concerned looks sent to him by both Junhwe and Yunhyeong, but he won’t back down.

 

“No. I’m just saying that I don’t want you putting yourself in direct danger so willingly. I’m not a child. I could have dodged. The bodyguards could have pulled me away. There are other alternatives that could happen that doesn’t involve you almost getting killed.”

 

He sighs and takes a bold step forward in front of Donghyuk, reaching out to take his hand in his.

 

“I’m grateful for what you did, and I admit I was careless. But I just don’t want to see someone I love risking his life so easily…” He bites his lip. “Being the boss will be worthless if you’re not here with me. So, please. Don’t ever do that kind of thing again, Donghyuk.”

 

The truth’s finally out now. Donghyuk’s cheeks turn soft red and Chanwoo can feel himself blush as well, but he bites his lip more and squeezes the other’s hand instead. He refuses to look somewhere else except at the smaller male.

 

“... if that’s what you want. Fine.”

 

Chanwoo feels his face lighten up at that. He grins softly.

 

“Though I want to make myself clear too.” Donghyuk suddenly continues. “What I did isn’t something I did out of duty. I just did what I had to do to save someone I love as well. Everything will be useless too, if you aren’t here...”

 

‘With me.’ is implied in the air and Chanwoo forgot to breathe for a second. Does this mean what he wants to happen has already been a reality?

 

He blushes, the realization making him grin wide . Donghyuk looks down, embarrassed, but a moment later, he looks up to grin back as well.

 

“Now that we’re clear on that, let’s just protect each other while doing our best. Okay, Chanu-ya?”

 

Chanwoo nods, still grinning. “Okay.”

 

“Then…” Yunhyeong steps beside Donghyuk. Junhwe steps to his other side.

 

“Does that mean we’ll have to give Donghyuk special treatment, like holding an umbrella over his head or something-- Ack!”

 

Donghyuk pouts as he jabs both Yunhyeong and Junhwe on their torsos, causing both to yelp and playfully complain. Chanwoo just laughs, grabs back both of Donghyuk’s hands, and holds them firmly. He smirks and winks at the other two before pulling Donghyuk closer for a kiss.

 

The future may still be uncertain and the dangers of their world are still there, but now he’s more confident to face them with his friends. With Donghyuk.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

 

“You’re still not gonna tell him?”

 

Donghyuk glances up at Junhwe, a playful shrug on his shoulders. “About what?”

 

Junhwe snorts and shakes his head. Yunhyeong chuckles then wraps an arm around his shoulder. All three of them look beyond, at the front of the hall, where Chanwoo is formally being introduced as the boss’ official heir.

 

“Our feelings are mutual anyway. The fact that I’m one of his spouse candidates is just a minor bonus.”

 

“You mean a major threat for the 6 other mafia families.”

 

“As long as Chanwoo wants me, I won’t leave his side.”

 

“Plus we won't let anyone try to eliminate you.” Yunhyeong taps Junhwe’s back. “Right June?”

 

“Yeah, whatever.”

 

Donghyuk shakes his head with a snicker. He smiles when Chanwoo slips a grin at them. At him.

 

“All for Chanwoo?"

 

Junhwe and Yunhyeong exchanged amused smirks and firm nods.

 

“All for Chanwoo.”

 

.

.

.