Universes: Brothers

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

Double update again so after this, go check out the next chap!

5th AU is DongBin! The theme is self-explanatory in the title. ;)

 


 

 

Hanbin knew he’s screwed when his heart went ba-thump the moment Kim Donghyuk, his year’s representative, smiled after his speech. But Hanbin knew he’s even more screwed when weeks later, his mom told him she’s marrying her boyfriend at last, and the boyfriend happened to have a son his age, who also happened to be none other than the college sophomore representative he has been crushing seriously on.

 

“I’m screwed.” he slumps on the table and blows air at his empty juice carton. Bobby just laughs at him and adds another tick to his count of Hanbin’s utterance of the same sentence.

 

“That’s the 16th time.”

 

“This is not a joke Kimbap. I’m really screwed.”

 

“No, you’re just exaggerating.” Bobby throws his crumpled burger wrapper on his head.

 

“Donghyukie doesn’t even know your uous crush on him. All he knows is he’ll be getting a step brother after his dad re-marries.”

 

“It’s not uous! We’re not blood-related!” Hanbin retorts, then cringes at himself and at Bobby’s satisfied smirk. “And why are you calling him like that? Do you even know him?”

 

“I do, man. Didn’t I say I finally got a tutor for Physics 2 since last week?”

 

“And it’s Donghyuk?”

 

“Yeah. I’m one step ahead of you now.”

 

“ you.” Hanbin throws the crumpled wrapper back to his older best friend and threatens to tell on Bobby’s girlfriend, Jisoo-noona. Bobby just laughs and tells him to lighten up. Don’t act like it’s the end of the world.

 

“Who knows,” Bobby gives him a smile that’s either making fun of him, or is hinting him of something. “Maybe this is ultimate opportunity you need. You’re going to see him even after school, man. Just think of that.”

 

And Hanbin did think of it. It doesn’t sound bad. Far from bad, honestly.

 

But the thing is, he’s not really someone Donghyuk might think as a beneficial acquaintance even as a step brother. Donghyuk is not only the sophomore representative, he’s also one of the students with the top grades in his department. He plays classical piano, does basketball, and even dances as a hobby on top of all the things he’s been doing.

 

Meanwhile, Hanbin? He’s generally awkward. His grades are floating from 3.00s to 2.00s, he at any sports, and he’d rather hang out with the weird kids (aka Bobby and co.) than with the general student body. The only thing he’s good at is making trap music all-day in his room during weekends. So yeah, when all the factors are added, the chances of Donghyuk actually accepting him as a brother is… nil.

 

“Donghyukie is a really good kid, you know. It’s not just outward appearances.” Bobby adds before taking his bag and slinging it on his shoulders. “Don’t spell doom on yourself when you haven’t talked to him face to face yet.”

 

He sighs and lets his best friend leave him there. Fine. He’ll just brace himself for the first “family” meeting tomorrow night. Que sera sera.

 

Come Tuesday night, Hanbin tells himself to believe in Kimbap more because Donghyuk is really a good kid. He greets his mom with respect and friendliness and shows that speech smile that Hanbin liked so much.

 

Also, it seems his best friend had told Donghyuk a couple of things about him and miraculously, Donghyuk doesn’t seemed turned off.

 

“You make trap music, right? And you upload them on Soundcloud!” Donghyuk tells him excitedly while their parents talk with the restaurant staff for catering rates. “Your music’s really awesome hyung! I dance to them when I’m at home!”

 

Hanbin’s mind blanks out for a moment because Donghyuk, his crush and soon-to-be brother, doesn’t think he’s weird for doing trap music. And even thinks his music is “really awesome”.

 

“Ah.” Donghyuk suddenly blushes, looks away for a moment, before shyly looking at him again. “I hope you’re okay with me calling you hyung. I know we’re in the same year and we’re only a few months apart, but I just really admire you…”

 

Okay, seriously. What did Bobby really tell Donghyuk?

 

“Y-You can call me hyung. Or Hanbin. Whatever you want.” Hanbin clears his throat and internally screams at himself to stop blushing too. “And, uhh… I hope you’re okay with me as your step brother.”

 

“Of course!” Donghyuk beams at him. “I hope you are too!”

 

That talk wasn’t bad. It was decent. More than decent, actually. By the time the dinner ended and their parents are signing papers for the wedding catering contract, Hanbin is already thinking of treating Bobby to their favorite pizza place come weekend. That’s the least he could do for his best friend for putting a good word for him.

 

But minutes later, he finds out he doesn’t need to treat Bobby to anything at all.

 

Because Donghyuk suddenly grabs his hand and pulls him out of the restaurant to the quiet corner of the parking lot, and reveals something.

 

“Since we’re going to be a family soon, I just want to come clean.” Donghyuk squeezes his hand and Hanbin’s brain short-circuits until Donghyuk lets go of it.

 

“Okay…”

 

“I… umm,” Donghyuk pauses, sighs, and looks at him in determination. “I have a crush on you. It’s been like that ever since I discovered your Soundcloud account. I seriously, truly admire you since you make such good music and… and you’re not afraid to be yourself.”

 

Hanbin’s brain short-circuits again while Donghyuk’s face turns even redder.

 

“A-Also, I accepted Bobby-hyung’s tutoring request because I know he’s your best friend.”

 

“...Uhh.”

 

“But please don’t think that I’m weird or I’m expecting anything from you. I just want to be honest with you and from this, I’m hoping you can trust me as a family. I really look up to you and I promise I’ll do my best to be a good brother to you, Hanbin-hyung.”

 

Donghyuk then gives him the most unfairly adorable set of puppy eyes he had ever seen, with a hint of fear in them. Hanbin doesn’t have the heart to say anything contradictory. Not that he has any intentions to reject Donghyuk’s words but the thing is, he’s also hiding something from Donghyuk and he feels like he has no right to answer to such brave honesty until he reveals his secret too. Even though his heart is beating so damn fast and he just can't believe.

 

“O-Okay… I need to tell you something too, then.”

 

Donghyuk blinks at him then nods encouragingly.

 

“I… . I have a crush on you too. I can’t explain it exactly but I just really like your smile, and how you have so many things you’re good at. You must have been working very hard every single day.”

 

“Oh…Thank you.”

 

“Y-yeah. Thank you too.”

 

Hanbin coughs awkwardly. The two of them are red as tomatoes now.

 

It’s getting more awkward and Hanbin wants to run away but holds his ground. He internally screams at himself to say something, anything, until Donghyuk mumbles under his breath. Hanbin didn’t catch it completely, but he’s pretty sure of what he heard.

 

“...well it’s not like we’re blood-related.”

 

Hanbin can feel sweat forming at the base of his neck.

 

“W-What was that?”

 

Donghyuk shakes his head and tells him it’s nothing. Hanbin gathers the rest of his wits and opens his mouth to ask Donghyuk to clarify, but their parents chose that time to call for them so they could go home.

 

As they walk towards his soon-to-be step dad’s car, Donghyuk holds his hand again and he can feel his heart burst. His mom sees and grins at them, telling them how she’s so happy they’re close now. Donghyuk’s dad gives them a thumbs-up and assures they’ll be one big happy family.

 

Hanbin feels both happy and nervous of that. Bobby is wrong about him exaggerating. He is still screwed. Big time.

 

 

.

 

.

 

.