Can't Live Without You

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

A result of me being bored during a 5-hour bus ride and trying to update using Google docs and a mobile phone (which I gave up on bec. it's freaking stressful and buggy. Thank the heavens for my friend's laptop). I didn't put much thoughts into this so don't expect much. Also, I think this is crackish? But maybe some of you might find this enjoyable so here goes. The "serious" update will come after this. Hahaha

 


 

 

 

iKON’s main selling point is their teamwork. It’s the reason why fans had strived to save all 4 unconfirmed members during Mix and Match, and why their performances and interactions work so well. Their energies jive together perfectly and seamlessly, it's as if each of them are fated to be together in iKON from the day they were born.

 

This also means each and every member of the group are indispensable. Take one member out, and it's not iKON anymore. That’s not to say though, that the whole group will stop in a standstill just because one unit is not present.

 

When asked who the most important member is, no doubt Hanbin would be the answer. It's even stupid to ask why. Despite that, even when Hanbin leaves his team for individual schedules, he always makes sure the members have something to do so they wouldn’t lag behind in working for their album. By the time the leader returns, the members would have already done their part - or at least some of it. Either way, progress is still achieved.

 

The same goes with the other members. Whether it's Jinhwan, Bobby, Yunhyeong, Chanwoo or Junhwe, the group still manages to do what they had to do even if they are not there. It's only to varying degrees when those left behind would feel the effect of one member’s absence.

 

Again, it’s the same for everyone. Except with Donghyuk.

 

iKON learned it the hard way.


 

 

---

 


 

The offer was really good and iKON needed all the exposure they could get, that’s why Donghyuk immediately agreed to be part of a new cable variety show where he and other casts will go to the province and take care of the elderlies there. His appearance will only be for 3 episodes and he’ll be gone for 4 days due to filming. He’ll return on the day after that.

 

The members were happy for him, all of them having no doubts that Donghyuk will shine on the show. They wished him the best and told him not to miss them too much in those 4 days.

 

Perhaps Donghyuk can already foresee what’s going to happen with the group, or he’s simply humoring them, but he replied with a rather coy “I should tell that to you guys” before leaving their dorm. The hyungs just chuckled. Chanwoo shrugged with a smile, while Junhwe had rolled his eyes with a mumble of “who does he think he is?”

 

And so, the remaining iKON members’ work for the week started like how they always do when they don’t have outside schedules. They all went straight to their practice room, attended vocal and dance training, locked themselves in the recording room, and played around like the overgrown kids they are. The first day went by without a hitch.

 

Until the 2nd day came and that’s when things started to go haywire.

 

At first it was Bobby. They were lounging by the benches in their practice room. He threw a joke about dogs to s, expecting an infectious but adorable laugh to react to it. Instead, he got snickers and a sassy remark from Junhwe.

 

“The heck! You could have pretended to laugh or something!”

 

“It’s not even funny.”

 

“Then why are you guys always laughing at my jokes?”

 

The others looked at him as if he had said something incredulous. They were not laughing at Bobby’s jokes. They’ve never been funny. The one who laughs because he feels sorry for the rapper is --

 

“Ugh.” Bobby groaned with a dramatic grab on his head as he collapsed on the bench when he realized. “My loyal dongsaeng Donggu! When will you return to laugh at your hyung’s jokes?!”

 

The others ignored the rapper while Hanbin threw a pack of tissue at him as if to scold him.

 

“Shut up and go practice your rap lines.” he says so Bobby begrudgingly stood up to follow their leader’s order.

 

The 2nd was Hanbin. The group was given the chance to choreograph one of their upcoming title tracks so he was brainstorming for it. He was fine for the first verses until he got to the chorus and the bridge parts where his mind suddenly decided to go blank.

 

He enlisted the help of Jinhwan but he’s not satisfied with his hyung’s suggestions. He asked Bobby but there’s too much dab and krumping going on, he had to reject it. Junhwe just encouraged him with a firm grip on his shoulder before saying he’s busy with composing a sub-unit song, while Yunhyeong tried to help but dance is not the hyung’s forte so…

 

In a somewhat ill-thought act of desperation, he seeked the help of their maknae - who just gave his leader a disbelieved look before kindly reminding him.

 

“Hyung, I’m still tripping on my own feet during practice.”

 

Chanwoo didn’t need to elaborate further. In the end, Hanbin was left cursing inwardly and almost fuming because he realized the reason why dance choreography has always been smooth and rather productive for him. Until now.

 

Because has has Kim Donghyuk as his dance assistant.

 

“Dammit!” He threw his snapback on the floor before childishly slumping on one of the cushioned benches. “Can Donghyukie pull out from that show?!”

 

“That’s impossible hyung.” Chanwoo replied, both amused and slightly frightened. Hanbin just slumped more on his seat and sighed helplessly.

 

The next was Junhwe. While Hanbin and Bobby were busy wallowing in the absence of Donghyuk, he’s busy working on a possible sub-unit song he’ll do with one of the other vocals. His first choice is Jinhwan because for him, their mat-hyung deserves it the most. So when he saw his hyung passing by the extra recording room he’s in, he quickly called him in.

 

He asked Jinhwan to sing the lines assigned for his co-unit - to which the hyung was more than willing to do. Jinhwan did it splendidly and didn’t even commit any mistakes. At first Junhwe thought that settles it.

 

Except he listened to the full recorded trial of the song with both his and Jinhwan’s voices, and he ended up thinking it’s not what he’s looking for.

 

He told Jinhwan the truth and apologized. Jinhwan didn’t mind and told him he might find what he’s looking for with the other members. Junhwe agreed and spent the rest of the day locked in the recording room with Yunhyeong and Chanwoo. He let them sing the lines in their own way for the first first tries, but ended up asking them to sing using specific vocal techniques that can produce the kind of sound he wanted.

 

In the end, both Yunhyeong and Chanwoo weren’t able to do those. Both are sympathetic, with Yunhyeong telling Junhwe what he really wanted because their power vocal didn’t seem to get it at all.

 

“The one who you want to sing with is Donghyuk.” the hyung claimed like it’s the most obvious thing in the world at the moment. “We can’t satisfy you no matter how much we do the falsettos and the soft tones, because Dong does those things the best.”

 

Suddenly, a bolt of lightning Junhwe in realization. The hyung shaked his head and placeda hand on his head in comfort. “It’s okay. You’re not exactly the most aware of person here.”

 

“What do you mean by that?”

 

“The way you unconsciously sing along Donghyukie’s parts.” Chanwoo answered with an annoyingly solemn nod. “In other words, you just simply liked singing with him the most.”

 

“W-What? I do not --”

 

“Either way, just wait for him to come back Junhwe.” Yunhyeong cut in before the younger can explode in embarrassment. “Don’t worry, all of us think you and Donghyukie produce the best blending of voices in our group.”

 

The monster twins both smiled at their main vocal before going out of the room. Junhwe snorted  and rolled his eyes in annoyance because he doesn’t like to be told things in that way. When he finally calmed down though, the annoyance disappeared and was replaced with frustration because why the hell didn’t he realize sooner?

 

Groaning in helplessness, he ended up listening to “It’s Love” and their Mix and Match cover of “Eyes Nose Lips” over and over because that’s the only way he can imagine Donghyuk singing his song with him. How pathetic, he thinks about himself.

 

Jinhwan’s case was much more subtle. As he went through the day dealing with both Hanbin and Bobby’s dilemmas, he wondered why he felt so much more annoyed. He was never like that even when there’s straight up argument between s. He’s the mother of the group and the voice of reason but now he doesn’t feel like he’s all that. There’s something missing, or hindering him from being so.

 

It was when they were on the van traveling back to their dorm that he finally realized.

 

“Donghyuk’s always been comforting me silently isn’t he?” he mumbled more to himself but Chanwoo, who sat beside him, heard as well. He turned to give their mat-hyung a bewildered look.

 

“You didn’t notice hyung? He’s always the first one to notice your mood swings and help you with small stuff.”

 

“Small stuff?”

 

“Yeah. Like arranging your muffler behind you or passing you a bottle of water when you’re busy with something else.”

 

“...Ah.”

 

Jihwan suddenly feels like a massive jerk now that it’s been pointed out to him. Donghyuk really did take the helper role to his “mother” role - the one who sees what he needs when no one else does.

 

And now he’s dying to have his helper back because Hanbin and Jiwon are driving him crazy (alright, Junhwe too since the kid has been obsessing over his performances with Dong). Face palming, he groaned and proceeded to rub his face.

 

“How many more days before Donghyukie comes back?”

 

“2 more days hyung.”

 

“.”

 

It all came down when they reached their dorm. Yunhyeong went straight to the living room as soon as they arrived and threw himself on the couch, an uncharacteristic disinterested expression on his face.

 

“I miss my vitamin Donggu! You’re all so gloomy and dark it’s annoying me!”

 

“Well, we feel the same way!” Bobby retorted with a frown as he went to lie on the floor and flail his arms and legs. “I want to hear Donggu’s laugh again!”

 

Hanbin snorted and scooted himself beside Yunhyeong. “Regardless, the moment he comes back we’ll choreograph our dance right away.”

 

“No way.” Junhwe cuts in, crossing his arms on his chest and scowling at his hyungs. “We gotta record our sub unit song. He’s mine.”

 

“What? Who’s the leader here? Donggie will help me first.”

 

“The song’s more important!”

 

“His laugh is more important!” Bobby interrupted as he pouts at his two arguing dongsaengs. “I’m his fave hyung so he’ll go to me first!”

 

“When did he say he’s your fave? You didn’t even receive a letter from him Kimbap! I’m his forever leader who’s like a friend!”

 

“You guys don’t know what you’re talking about.” Yunhyeong joined in, kicking Hanbin off the couch. “Who’s the one who loves Dongdong the most? Me!”

 

“That’s just for your ship teasing!”

 

“You three are flops! Who’s his best friend here? Goo Junhwe!”

 

“The hell?! When did that happen??”

 

“It’s always been like that --”

 

“SHUT THE HELL UP!”

 

Instantly, everyone shut their mouth at the sudden yell of their mat-hyung. Jinhwan was massaging his temples while Chanwoo was meekly watching by the side.

 

“You’re all pathetic. Stop acting like you’re all teenage girls fighting over your oppa.”

 

“...I’m sorry hyung.”

 

“Me too, I’m sorry.”

 

“Sorry everyone…”

 

“...”

 

Aside from the fact that the 4 immediately apologized, it amused Chanwoo that they didn’t deny acting like “teenage girls”. He tried to control himself but he still ended up chuckling.

 

“What’s so funny?” Jinhwan asked. Noticing that they’re all staring at him now, Chanwoo gulped.

 

“Umm, nothing. I just find Jinhwan-hyung’s comment funny.” he hesitated for a bit. “You know, about how you’re all like teenage girls, fighting for your oppa…”

 

“We’re not!” Junhwe protested, though there’s some red on his cheeks. He points a finger at their maknae. “And you! Why are you so calm about this?! Donghyuk’s basically troubling us!”

 

Chanwoo raised his eyebrow, taken aback at the comment. “What? It’s not Donghyuk’s fault you’re all blind to how precious he is to all of us. He’s been supporting all of you for years and yet you say he’s troubling us now?”

 

Silence…

 

The drop of energy around them was so concrete, Chanwoo didn’t know if he should laugh about it because he’s spot on, or if he should apologize because he didn’t mean to make them depressed. Before he could make a decision though, Jinhwan beat him to it.

 

“Look, let’s just all sleep our frustrations out and maybe tomorrow, we can get work done.” he says, sighing heavily and shaking his head. Then he glanced at their maknae with a rather ashamed expression.

 

“But Chanwoo has a point. It’s pathetic how Donghyuk has to leave for us to see his importance. The fact that our newcomer can see that but we failed to do so…we should all feel ashamed. We neglected our Donghyukie.”

 

The sullen expressions on the other members deepened, causing Chanwoo to feel guilty.

 

“Hyungs please, I didn’t say that to make you all feel like you did a big mistake. I’m sorry for saying those words. I mean, like Jinhwan-hyung said, I’m a newcomer.”

 

“No, you’re right. I get what you mean.” Hanbin responded with a sigh as well. “We all get that now.”

 

Another silence…

 

“Umm...anyone up for take-out? We haven’t eaten yet. I’ll pay as an apology.”

 

Jinhwan patted Chanwoo’s shoulder with a small smile. “It’s okay Chanwoo, I’ll buy. It’s the mat-hyung’s job.”

 

The rest of the night was silent after that. Yunhyeong tried having a video chat with Donghyuk but the younger male never picked up. He did send a text saying they’ve been filming non-stop so he barely had any chance to check his phone.

 

The next day, the group tried making progress in their work. Except their individual training or practices, they’re all in a standstill. Hanbin still can’t get his mind straight enough to think of new dance steps. Bobby tried taking over some of their song compositions but his mood is too depressed to give the songs the right flow. Jinhwan was still in his mood swings, sometimes comforting s and sometimes terrorizing them. Yunhyeong wasn’t enthusiastic with anything and wasn’t smiling at even Chanwoo’s aegyo. Junhwe, with his obsession, has whipped out three versions of the same song - all made to fit Donghyuk’s voice with his. He bragged about being the most productive out of all of them until Jinhwan reminded him that there’s no point in the other versions when the first one was already pre-approved by sajangnim.

 

Chanwoo, the only sane member so far, had started to feel the desperation. If his hyungs continued to be like that for another day, he’ll have to think of a way to force Donghyuk out of his filming.

 

 

Turns out he doesn't have to.


 

 

---

 


 

Fourth day arrived and iKON was holed up in the practice room, uncharacteristically distracted from the things they should be doing. Yunhyeong was searching Donghyuk’s pictures and fansites on the web, giggling and cooing like a proud mom once in awhile. Bobby would snicker at him but then, he’s busy compiling jokes he would tell Donghyuk once he comes back so he isn’t any different. Their leader should have been scolding them for slacking off but instead, he’s surfing the Internet trying to find Donghyuk-focus fancams on their dance performances, reacting on how great and on-point Donghyuk is when dancing. Junhwe scoffed at him and pretended there’s nothing wrong with how he was indecently groaning and mumbling things like “ yeah” and “so ing good” while listening to the songs he and Donghyuk sang together.

 

“God, look at them.” Jinhwan whispered to Chanwoo with a grimace. They’re the only ones not doing anything related to their main dancer.

 

“It’s not even a whole week and they’re all so thirsty for Dongdong.”

 

The maknae quirked up an eyebrow at the way his hyung phrased his words. He’s tempted to point out that Jinhwan’s not so different from the others but decided not to. Their mat-hyung’s still in his mood swings after all.

 

“I’m glad they’re fully seeing Donghyuk’s worth now.” he says instead, choosing to share his sincere feelings. “Donghyuk deserves all the love he can get.”

 

“That’s right. Our Dongdong will be fully appreciated from now on.” Jinhwan nodded seriously before sighing.

 

“I miss him so much already. Tomorrow can’t arrive any faster!”

 

Chanwoo was about to comfort Jinhwan when the door suddenly opened. All members stopped what they were doing and looked to see the one and only Kim Donghyuk entering the practice room.

 

“I’m back~!!”

 

Donghyuk looked more like he came from a vacation rather than a variety show filming. His skin was tanned, he has a huge backpack, and he’s wearing an ugly straw hat. The straw hat should be enough to spur the members into teases and playful slaps.

 

Yet what awoken all of them was the blindingly bright smile on his face - shining a metaphorical light around the “dark” and dreary room, as if it’s the most awaited blessing from heaven. They wouldn’t even bat an eye if angels suddenly appear singing “Just The Way You Are” or any of the love-struck cheesy songs as background music.

 

“What’s up guys?” Donghyuk asked as he dropped his backpack on the floor. He takes out the straw hat from his head to run his fingers through his hair. “Filming ended so much earlier so here I am! Why are you all staring at me like that?”

 

Suddenly, there’s chaos. Everyone except Chanwoo had stood up and dashed towards Donghyuk. Instantly bewildered and frightened, Donghyuk used his dancer reflexes to get away before any of them can touch him.

 

“Donghyuk!! I missed you so much!”

 

“Kimbap get away! Dongdong has to go with me first!”

 

“No!! I need my Donggu’s laugh-- wait, stop pulling me!”

 

“You all step back! The masterpiece that is a JunDong subunit should come first!”

 

Chanwoo pitied Donghyuk who’s looking confused and worried as their hyungs and Junhwe blocked each other. Then as if he knew it’s going to happen, Jinhwan had slipped expertly from the chaos, taking advantage of Donghyuk’s frozen state to catch him.

 

Donghyuk gasped in surprised and looked down to see their eldest looking up to him with puppy eyes and an aegyo pout, his arms around him in an iron grip.

 

“Donghyukie~~ hyung missed you the most~! Won’t you spend time with me today?”

 

At that, the arguing members stopped and turned to give their mat-hyung horrified and disbelieved looks.

 

“You snake! That’s not fair!” Bobby yelled with an accusing finger. “Dong, don’t listen to him! Be with your fave hyung!”

 

Hanbin scowled. “Shut up! Donghyukie will go with his leader! We need to do legendary dance together!”

 

“Stop claiming him when I’m the one who loved him first!” Yunhyeong cut in, blocking both Jiwon and Hanbin again. “YunDong is where the game’s at!”

 

Junhwe rolled his eyes, swerved from the three, then boldly approached the still hugging Jinhwan and Donghyuk. He smiled serenely at Jinhwan before gripping the elder’s arms and proceeding to take them off around their main dancer.

 

“Junhwe I’m warning you.” Jinhwan glared then squirmed from their main vocal. “If you don’t stop --”

 

“Too late.” The taller male smirked when he successfully pulled Jinhwan’s arms away. He pushed the hyung away before he could make a move to get back, quickly stepping in front of Donghyuk to place both his hands on his shoulders.

 

“June-ya.” Donghyuk’s already sweating in confusion.”What the hell is--”

 

“They’re all idiots. It’s always been you and me right?”

 

“What?”

 

Then Junhwe wrapped his arms around Donghyuk’s midsection, lifted him up then carried him over his back. Donghyuk gasped loudly while all the hyungs shrieked.

 

“GOO JUNHWE RELEASE HIM NOW!”

 

“No! I’m taking him away from all of you!”

 

But before Junhwe could really do that, Chanwoo - who was silently approaching Donghyuk while everyone’s busy fighting over him, had attacked Junhwe’s sides to tickle him. Junhwe sputters, laughing and cursing at him until he’s forced to let go. Donghyuk took it as a chance to escape. Grabbing chanwoo’s wrist, both of them bolted out of the room.

 

“JUNG CHANU YOU TRAITOR!!”


 

 

---

 


 

“What the hell was that?!”

 

Donghyuk demanded as he slumped on the floor while panting. They both ran all the way to an empty fire exit in one of the higher floors.

 

“You have no idea.” Chanwoo answered, taking a moment to breathe.

 

Steadily, he explained all the craziness that happened in the 3 and a half days Donghyuk was away. Their main dancer was flabbergasted, as if he can’t believe such things had happened during his absence. The reaction made Chanwoo more sorry for Donghyuk because it’s either he’s used to being skipped, or he doesn’t think of himself as a person important enough to be fought over.

 

“Don’t look down on yourself.” Chanwoo stated in a comforting tone. “I mean, I’m the unfortunate observer of everything that happened these past few days. iKON literally can’t survive without you. You’re the heart of the group.”

 

Donghyuk blushed and opened his mouth to argue but closed it again. Instead, he shrugged his shoulders and sighed heavily.

 

“I would have appreciated that sentiment more if they didn’t behave like that.”

 

“Then you just have to set them straight right? The hyungs need to be put in their place.”

 

Donghyuk arched a brow at what the maknae said. Smirking, Chanwoo raised a fist and muttered a “fighting” to the older boy to encourage him. Donghyuk laughed loudly.

 

Now that he’s hearing it again, Chanwoo can’t argue with Bobby’s obsession of Donghyuk’s laugh any longer. It really is a source of energy for both the body and the heart. So much so that he can’t help but sincerely laugh along.

 

“You’re so sly Chanwoo. But that side of you saved me so I won’t complain.” Donghyuk remarked as he stood up and dusted off his shorts.

 

“I guess I have no choice now. They better be ready because I wasn’t the student council president for nothing.”


 

 

---

 


 

When they returned, Chanwoo witnessed how Donghyuk pulled all five members back to reality with just a hard stare and carefully selected words that made them feel both ashamed and sorry for themselves. Junhwe and Bobby were even looking down like meek middle school students scolded by their favorite teacher. Chanwoo had to clamp a hand on his mouth to hold himself back from guffawing.

 

Then as if it’s second nature to him, Donghyuk had smoothly accommodated all the members who demanded his attention. By the time they’re all traveling back to the dorms, each member is satisfied. The dance choreography is already 90% complete, Yunhyeong is smiling once again, Jinhwan’s mood swings are gone, Bobby had completed two compositions and made a new one with the theme of “bromance”, and the subunit song with Junhwe has been recorded.

 

While the members are satisfied though, Donghyuk is left sleeping as soon as he entered the service van because of tiredness. The members cooed at him.

 

“My poor baby.” Jinhwan mutters while affectionately patting the younger’s head from behind. “Look at what you all did to him.”

 

“You’re not one to talk Jinhwan-hyung.” Junhwe retorts. “Your excess aegyo and skinship caused that, to be honest.”

 

Chanwoo smirks as he discreetly takes a photo of Donghyuk’s sinfully adorable (from his angle) sleeping face. It’ll be useful once he needs a favor from one of the hyungs.

 

“More like all of you smothered him. You all love him too much.”

 

He expects at least one of them to retort or deny, Junhwe for example, but somehow he isn’t surprised when the members chose to be silent, agreeing with his statement without a need for words.


 

 

---

 


 

The next times Donghyuk is offered a solo gig that requires him to be separated from the group for more than a day, iKON would demand that they either hitch another member or give Donghyuk ample break time to at least have a video chat with them.

 

Donghyuk, knowing that such demands are unreasonable, would secretly accept the offers while informing the staff that s are just joking around. It didn’t take long for a bunch of rumors to spread suggesting that iKON dotes on Donghyuk too much, or that the group can’t live without him, and that he has all the members wrapped around his finger.

 

iKON (sans Donghyuk) doesn’t deny any of it.

 

 

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

 

 


 

 

Yunhyeong's supposed to be the one with the joke problem but I remembered Bad Joke Bobby so Kim Jiwon it is!

 

See you next update! ♥