1004

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

 

 

Hip Hop and dance electro music blasts from all four corners of the Boombar club. People, both males and females, are standing almost skin to skin on the dance floor, all singing loudly and jumping in tandem with the two stars of the night. Donghyuk jumps and sways with the rest of them, grinning at both Bobby and Mino who are both drunk in the celebratory atmosphere and the taste of alcohol. Seungyoon offers him a drink from his cocktail and he does, albeit only a sip, before sheepishly giving back the drink.

 

He turns away a bit, still with a wide grin, to scan the crowd and see where his other two group members are. It didn’t take long for him to spot Yunhyeong because he’s mingling with the YG dancers in the same spot since the start of the party. As for Junhwe…

 

The grin on his face drops a bit when he found him huddled on the reserved booth for iKON, a small scowl on his face. In contrast to the happy faces around, Junhwe looks like he’d rather go somewhere else. Definitely not the night-mode Junhwe everyone’s expecting him to be for the event.

 

Donghyuk considers going there to keep his same-aged friend company but some of YG’s producers appear to chat up with Junhwe. The scowl on his face instantly disappeared, giving way to smiles. They even took some selcas.

 

Well, looks like Goo Junhwe will be fine. Donghyuk sighs in relief.

 

 

---

 

 

He’s wrong. Goo Junhwe is most definitely not fine. Out of concern, Donghyuk has kept an eye on his chingu to see if he’s really going to just sit in their booth for the rest of the night and wait for people to approach him. Aside from the polite greetings and occasional requests for selcas, Junhwe didn’t so much as move from his position. Their Winner-hyungs even invited him to dance or get a light drink, but Junhwe refused all of them. That’s besides the deepening scowl on his face as the party goes on.

 

The cold and somewhat snobbish attitude Junhwe’s showing makes Donghyuk wonder. Junhwe’s way past that phase and he’s not someone who would act up like that in an event meant to celebrate their hyungs’ hard work. But his questions are answered when a couple of ladies went to the booth, drinks in one hand and cellphones on the other.

 

The minute details in Junhwe’s actions might be easily overlooked by some people, but not for Donghyuk. He sees the awkward shuffling of crossed legs, how Junhwe tries to discreetly shift away from the ladies, and the fake smile he puts on as they posed for a selca. It seems the women wants to hang out with him there as well but Junhwe keeps pointing at the dance floor, and even to where their Winner-hyungs are located. He also sees the little sigh Junhwe releases as soon as the women stood up and left him.

 

Ah, so that was it. Junhwe's still affected huh?

 

Looks like partying’s over for Donghyuk. He scans the place again and proceeds to walk through the crowd towards Yunhyeong. His hyung and the YG dancers all greet him as soon as he steps into their space. Some asks him if he’s interested in doing a dance showdown with them but he declines.

 

“I think I’ll be going back with Junhwe now. How about you hyung?” he almost shouts on Yunhyeong’s ear, the music too loud for whispers to be heard. Yunhyeong looks at him in slight worry.

 

“Are you tired already? And is Junhwe still in our booth?”

 

“No I’m not tired, just want some fresh air. And yes, Junhwe’s still there.”

 

Yunhyeong tip toes and cranes his neck towards where Junhwe is. He sighs then gets back on his heels.

 

“Alright, you two can go ahead. I’ll stay here and look out for Jiwon. Don’t stay out too late okay?”

 

“You too hyung. Pull Bobby-hyung out if you have to.”

 

He snickers when Yunhyeong pinches his cheek in mock offense. He bids his other acquaintances goodbye before making his way towards Bobby. As expected, him and Mino are still on the dance floor, mingling with their guests here and there. He waits for Bobby to finish taking a selca with a girl before approaching him.

 

“What? Already?” Bobby has a small pout after he told him about leaving. “You gonna leave your hyung all alone here?”

 

Donghyuk laughs. “You’re never alone, and Yunhyeong-hyung’s gonna stay back for you.”

 

Bobby deepens his pout but didn't argue. He says the same thing as Yunhyeong about not staying out too late, even if that’s already invalid. He reminds his hyung not to drink too much before finally making his way to Junhwe.

 

“Hey.” he plops himself beside Junhwe, chuckling at the jerk-like reaction his chingu had. “Are you so deep in your thoughts to be that surprised?”

 

“No.” Junhwe crosses his arms on his chest. “What are you doing here? The hyungs are there.”

 

“I know. Can’t I sit here with my same-aged friend?”

 

Donghyuk expects a retort back but Junhwe chose to stay silent. He sighs then stands up again.

 

“Let’s get out of here.”

 

Junhwe looks up at him as if that’s the last thing he expects him to say. “What?”

 

“Let’s go out. I’m done partying and I haven’t eaten a decent meal all night.”

 

“You just ate a burger before we got here.”

 

“Yeah, but I’m hungry again. Come on...” Donghyuk whines as he pulls Junhwe’s arm up. He grins when Junhwe finally stands up despite his grumbling, pulling his arm back from his grip.

 

“Fine, just stop whining. What are you, 12?” Junhwe rolls his eyes. “You better pay for my share.”

 

“I know, don’t worry.” Donghyuk laughs again and leads Junhwe out of the bar by the hand. He maintains a smile when the taller male just lets him despite his sour disposition.

 

 

---

 

 

“I don’t see how you can have a decent meal in here.” Junhwe deadpans as he stays put while Donghyuk tells their manager that they’ll be fine from there on.

 

“A meal is decent as long as you’re full.” Donghyuk playfully retorts right after they’re left alone. Junhwe just rolls his eyes.

 

They’re at the park nearest to their apartment complex. There’s hardly any people around given the late time. As for food choices, the usual night food stands are open and he suspects Donghyuk plans to have his fill going through each.

 

“I won’t help you if your stomach gets upset with this.” he says as he looks at the large paper bowl full of spicy rice cakes that Donghyuk holds out to him. The smell and the extra fish cakes on top instantly makes him hungry, but he won’t admit it. He takes the bowl then follows Donghyuk as he buys whatever he likes from the other food stands.

 

They settle at one of the far-off benches where the view of the night sky is much better. Donghyuk munches like a hamster on mandu and a variety of fish cakes, sometimes sipping from his bottle of barley tea to help swallow down the food. Junhwe watches him in between bites of ddeokbokki and his own share of the street food, amusement steadily replacing the sick feeling he has back in the party. A gentle night breeze brushes against his cheeks, not too cold to be chilly but just enough to provide a sense of comfort. It’s a good thing he came with Donghyuk there.

 

Realization dawns on him.

 

“Ah~ that was good.” Donghyuk remarks after he finishes his last share of fish cakes. He looks at Junhwe to ask him if he wants to eat more but the frown and the red on his chingu’s cheeks stop him. It took him a few more seconds to realize that Junhwe’s already aware, though he wouldn’t mind if Junhwe stays oblivious.

 

He leans on his knees and smiles up at his chingu. “Feeling better?”

 

Junhwe frowns more. “I didn’t ask you to do this.”

 

“I know.”

 

There’s a pause. “Am I that obvious?”

 

“Quite.” Donghyuk leans back on the bench. “For me anyway. I think Yunhyeong-hyung caught on you too.”

 

Junhwe knows there’s no point arguing about his case so he sighs and lets it go. He slumps his posture, the already empty paper bowl still in his hands.

 

“I hate myself for this. For acting that way in our hyungs’ party.”

 

“Don’t. You weren’t rude or anything. Just aloof.”

 

“But it’s a party. Bobby-hyung’s party at that.” Junhwe grits his teeth a bit. “I shouldn’t have been suspicious of every single person in there who’s not my acquaintance.”

 

Then the words just flow out more. He tells Donghyuk about the unease he felt the whole time he’s at Boombar, admitting about the growing anxiety in him when socializing with other people ever since his “scandal”. He opens up about his lingering wariness of being photographed and presented as someone who frequents bars and plays around with women despite his rookie idol status.

 

“I wish I’m like you. Or Bobby-hyung. I bet they wouldn’t make a fuss if it’s you two since both of you are so friendly.” There’s a layer of bitterness in Junhwe’s tone, though the expression on his face is significantly lighter than when they started eating.

 

“You know that’s not true. A lot of people will definitely act up if Bobby-hyung’s photographed with girls.” Donghyuk pauses with a shrug. “As for me, I think you’re right. I’m sure only a few would care.”

 

Junhwe hangs his jaw a bit at the implication while Donghyuk just drinks his tea as if what he said doesn’t bother him. The smaller male smirks at his reaction.

 

“Hey, don’t go feeling bad again. It’s not like the difference in our popularities is a mystery. Besides, that’s not what I’m trying to point out.”

 

Junhwe still feels a bit guilty but since Donghyuk told him not to bother with it, he lets the issue slide.

 

“Then what are you trying to say?”

 

“Don’t be such a drama queen.” Donghyuk grins at the other male’s small glare. “Just joking. In all seriousness, I want you to know that you didn’t do anything wrong and you shouldn’t restrict yourself because of what-ifs. Of course being cautious is a must for idols like us, but we’re also human beings who do ordinary things. We’re going to be subjected to more rumors and fake scandals, but as long as you’re not in the wrong, you have to hold your head high no matter how difficult it is. ”

 

He shifts closer and purposely nudges his shoulder with Junhwe’s. “And don’t go wishing you’re like me or Bobby-hyung. We and our fans love you for you.”

 

Donghyuk smiles again, perfectly ending his comfort “speech”. Junhwe is comforted alright, way more than he expected, and he is very much grateful. He feels his eyes moistening with warm tears so he looks away.

 

“Aww, don’t cry. That’s not my intention.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

He scowls and blinks many times to prevent the tears. When he’s sure he won’t be crying anymore, he nudges back Donghyuk’s shoulder.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“You’re welcome. I’m glad I can help you.”

 

Of course he can. Already did as soon as Junhwe realized Donghyuk purposely cut short his celebration with Bobby-hyung because he noticed when no one else did, and had brought him to the park to comfort him when he didn’t have to. Just from that realization, Junhwe is already consoled - enough for him to spill his frustrations and bare his soul. He won’t regret opening up to Donghyuk and would absolutely remember this act of compassion towards him for a long time.

 

Donghyuk is too good for the world and Junhwe’s tempted to pull him into a tight hug (a completely platonic, totally-not-smitten tight hug), but since he’s not one for skinship and it’s him and Donghyuk, he decides on a more fitting end to their talking session.

 

“I still feel unsatisfied though. There’s something missing.”

 

Donghyuk quirks both eyebrows at him. “Oh? What is it?”

 

“I can’t say I’m really comforted if I don’t see Kim Donghyuk’s aegyo and cheerleading dance.” He smirks when soft red spreads on Donghyuk’s cheeks. “It’s a must for you right, Donghyukie?”

 

No it’s not! And Donghyuk honestly isn’t in any mood to do aegyo or even do a silly dance in a public place. But Junhwe refuses to leave until he does what he’s asked, so he relents. He’ll just have to plan his revenge later.

 

He becomes embarrassed even more when Junhwe whips out his phone and starts recording his “konichiwawa” aegyo and cheerleading dance. He wants to stop and walk out but Junhwe grins and laughs - melodious, unrestrained and sincerely cheerful.

 

Donghyuk relents again. Oh well, as long as Junhwe can continue being happy enough for him to laugh like that, he won't mind the teasing and the embarassment.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

.

.

 

“What’s 1004? Is this some kind of a code? Sounds familiar...” Yunhyeong asks as soon as he noticed the english numbered-label on a password protected folder deep into Junhwe’s phone gallery.

 

Junhwe reaches to take his phone back but Yunhyeong turns away.

 

“Wait, 1004 is cheonsa in Korean… yah!” the hyung turns back, a highly amused look on his face.

 

“Yah Goo Junhwe, who’s this angel you’re keeping a secret from us, hmm?” he grins teasingly then leans closer to whisper. “By chance, is angel-nim someone you met at MOBB’s party 2 weeks ago?”

 

Junhwe thinks for a moment. “Sort of. And it’s none of your business hyung. Stop snooping on my phone.”

 

“Aish.” Yunhyeong pouts but returns the phone anyway. He crosses his arms then slumps on his seat. “Whatever. We’ll eventually find out anyway. That better not be .”

 

“The , no.”

 

“I actually saw a glimpse of angel-nim last night when Junhwe thought I’m already asleep.” Chanwoo suddenly blurts behind them, having returned from checking out the latest items in Duty Free. Junhwe pales at the seemingly innocent smile plastered on Chanwoo’s face.

 

“I think there’s some aegyo and cheerleading, aside from the tons of pics... not really sure though.”

 

Yunhyeong grabs Chanwoo for details while color further drains from Junhwe. He’ll have to bribe the maknae into silence asap before Donghyuk comes back from the restroom.

 

.

.

.

 

 


 

Literally can't think of an ending and a title until that epilogue popped in my head at the last minute. Lol *sweatdrops* Also, Chanwoo is all-knowing and all-seeing. Idk why I love portraying him like that hahaha!

For those who might still be confused, 1004 is pronounced in Korean as "cheonsa" which is also the same word for "angel" in the language. Dunno if 1004 is still popularly used in Korea nowadays.

And "konichiwawa" is one of the cringey aegyo iKON's been doing in their 2nd Japan Arena tour.

BTW, I'll be needing help from you guys for something related in this fic series. Please see the next update for it. Thanks!