Universes: Master and Servant

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

Part 3 of my Universes AU collection. This time DongHwan in a master-servant tragic setting. This is more of a drabble.

 


 

The day Jinhwan’s life is saved is also the day he first met Donghyuk.

 

He can still remember every little detail. The scorching rays of the sun that burned his skin through the thick bamboo cage he was in. The ocean blue color of Donghyuk’s parasol that an attendant is holding for him. The bright smile Donghyuk gave him when he was purchased out of the lowest end of slavery. His soot and ash dirtied hand being held by the smooth and white one of the boy that is to be his master.

 

He was told he’s to be young master Donghyuk’s personal attendant. He was to stay by his side always, ready to do whatever he says. He was supposed to wake up before Donghyuk, make sure his meals, bath and study schedule are all in order. And he’s to rest only when Donghyuk is already deep in sleep. Such tasks were still not far from the standards of being a slave, but for Jinhwan it’s much better than being someone’s caged play thing.

 

However, Donghyuk made him experience a life that is so far above from being a young master’s servant.

 

Yes, he always stay by Donghyuk’s side, but he's also made to sit with him in equal standing and chat as if the barrier of social status isn’t there. Yes, he makes sure all his young master’s needs are taken cared of, but he’s also made to eat with him, play with him and even study with him. Yes, he only rests after Donghyuk’s already asleep, but Donghyuk always makes sure he rests extra early so he could sleep early as well. On top of that, Jinhwan is always told that he’s a “friend”, a “hyung”. That finding him during that fateful day is a “blessing”.

 

From those, Jinhwan easily learned to love his young master. But with that also came the anguish of not being able to do anything.

 

Because as much as Donghyuk radiates selfless kindness, love and empathy, the world he lives in is full of deceit and selfishness. Luxury is there for his young master, every need is taken cared of, and his talents are all nurtured. However there is also loneliness for being kept away from his family, the reality that he is but another chess piece in the game of royal politics, and Donghyuk’s prepared fate is the same as the one Jinhwan had been saved from.

 

Jinhwan hates it. It’s an irony he never imagined to happen. If he’s to be given the chance to strike a deal with the creator of the world, he’ll ask that he won’t be saved anymore. That he be brought back to dirt and indignity if it means Donghyuk will be spared from a similar fate.

 

But that is impossible and Jinhwan’s still a lowly servant above all else. No matter how much he prayed and begged to the heavens, no matter how much he wants to save his master, he can’t do anything.

 

Thus, Jinhwan stays quiet and pretends everything is alright just so the tragedy in Donghyuk’s circumstances won’t be emphasized further. He smiles back when his master smiles, and he laughs when he does. When Jinhwan asked Donghyuk what he wants him to do the most, Donghyuk’s answer is simple and final.

 

“Please just stay by my side always, hyung. No matter what happens.”

 

No matter what happens. It pained Jinhwan even more because his master knows. His precious Donghyuk knows. Jinhwan decides he has to do something. Anything. Even though the heavens don’t care and the world plays them as fools, he needs to save Donghyuk.

 

And so, the day Donghyuk is sent to be the crown prince’s 7th consort is also the day Jinhwan signed for his death.

 

Because no matter how much he wants to do as his master wishes, no matter what happens, he'll stake his life to turn the odds away from his master. The palace might be full of treachery and darkness, but that also meant he can go beyond the limits to make sure Donghyuk survives and gains even a little bit of happiness.

 

Jinhwan will do everything, even if the price is the end of his life.

 

.

 

.

 

.