Scams and Getting to Know (Love) You

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

2/27/2019: Revised some wordings, phrasings etc. and corrected a few grammatical errors. Might edit again later.

Hi... Long time no see. Again T^T

This fic went through a lot like it's supposed to be for Christmas, then I changed it for New Year's, then I decided to push it for Valentine's. I told myself to finish it before March comes and I did it (barely)! I feel relieved even though it's super late for Valentine's lol.

At least this is LONG. I know some of you dear readers like that. (This isn't the "main course" long-shot I hinted in a previous update though)

Anyway, this is Solo Singer Junhwe x Stylist Donghyuk fluff. Don't expect much (especially the ending ^^;;) Still, I hope you guys enjoy it and don't hesitate to let me know your thoughts after ^^

 


 

 

Getting scammed is the last thing Donghyuk wants for Valentine’s Day but that’s exactly what happens.

 

The terms are clear and should have been followed as exactly as what he and Yunhyeong agreed on. He goes to Jeju one day before MBS’ annual “Love Freedom” anniversary commemoration concert, plan and coordinate with the make-up artist, dress the artists, then go home in time for a promised family task. On top of that, kings of rap BOBB.I were the celebrities he’s supposed to style. The duo is practically the reason Donghyuk even agreed to this hectic styling gig in the first place.

 

But alas.

 

“I’m so sorry Donghyukie! We all thought Ji-eun really won’t make it but she showed up and we can’t really make her leave for a temp.”

 

The “temp” being Donghyuk who, on the day itself found his chance to style his most favorite rappers of all time snatched from him - Scam no. 1. Yunhyeong has both his hands in a rather tight grip that’s meant to comfort, to emphasize how sorry he feels, and though Donghyuk really wanted to express disappointment, he can’t let it out to a dear friend of his who only wanted to help get him more opportunities and didn’t have the final say in staffing matters.

 

“It's fine, it's fine.” Donghyuk smiles and squeezes Yunhyeong's hands back. The whole situation isn't really fine per se, given that he turned down a job back at Seoul for this gig, but at least Yunhyeong stopped looking anxious for his forgiveness. “I'll just head back and take an extra day off. Mom said she set me up to a blind date too so I’ll have to talk to her.”

 

Yunhyeong instantly paled at his words. Guilt showed itself more on his face, and Donghyuk unconsciously stiffened in caution.

 

“About that…” Yunhyeong started shifting weight on his feet. That wasn't a good sign. “while Jiwon and Hanbin's covered now, we have this other artist who urgently needs a stylist…”

 

“...and you signed me up for that.” Donghyuk deadpanned.

 

“I signed you up for that, yes.”

 

It didn't sound bad at first. It'll just be the original plan except it won't be BOBB.I that he'll be styling. Pay's the same and so is the time frame.

 

“The thing is, it's JU-NE and you're gonna have to work until the 16th.”

 

He thought.

 

Yunhyeong changed tactics, then. An arm is slung around Donghyuk's shoulders and Yunhyeong started rambling this string of assurances that just does the opposite.

 

“It'll just be 1 person instead of 2! And you'll get to style the Nation's Adonis at that so it should be good, right?... Please? Donghyukie?”

 

No. He'd been scammed twice now and it's enough. He's out!

 

 

--

 

 

Of course, he ended up staying anyway. He loves Yunhyeong too much to leave him alone to deal with the aftermath of inconveniencing JU-NE.

 

Donghyuk might not always have celebrity styling work, but he'd heard the rumors. Nation's Adonis Koo Junhwe - idol singer with a beautiful appearance and a powerful voice. And yet despite being the wet dream of hundreds of thousands of fans, and having the physique that makes stylists and fashion designers drool over, the idol is apparently very difficult to work with. There's an alleged attitude problem that makes it unbearable for many people to tolerate, and they say the high pay isn't worth it.

 

Which is why the solo singer’s stylist suddenly quit the event day itself and Donghyuk finds himself as the replacement.

 

“Don’t worry, it's just 3 days. That's much shorter than Taewon's 2 months.” Jinhwan, JU-NE's manager explains when Yunhyeong brought Donghyuk to him for a short orientation. “The clothes are already prepared and all you have to do is arrange them in order and help him wear them.”

 

Easier said than done, Donghyuk's tempted to joke. But Jinhwan's looking stressed with the eyebags and the continuous puffing of an electronic cig so Donghyuk decides against any light snark.

 

He can smile though as an assurance. “I'll do my best Jinhwan-sunbae.”

 

“Just hyung is fine.” Jinhwan taps out the cig. “Yunhyeong said you're impressive and reliable so I'm gonna have to expect that from you. Is that okay?”

 

Donghyuk swallows last minute nervousness. “Yes, hyung.”

 

“Also, do you have things to settle back at Seoul for the next few days? You should make a call now.”

 

Donghyuk stiffens a bit at that. He does have things to settle, primarily about a promise with his mother that’s going to be unfulfilled now. But…

 

“I think I’ll just do that later, after the event’s finished.” he says, smiling again.

 

Jinhwan levels a look at him. Donghyuk feels nervous again.

 

“You smile a lot.”

 

“Yes…”

 

“Do that often. It’s pretty and we all need a small boost here.”

 

Okay, he didn't expect that compliment. Donghyuk didn't have time to reply though because Jinhwan is suddenly opening the door to JU-NE's waiting room.

 

To say it's messy inside is an understatement. There's only 2 staff there and both of them are running around talking over each other while carrying pieces of clothes. Meanwhile, the star himself is lying on the couch with his eyes shut close and a pair of earbuds inserted in his ears.

 

The first thing that went in Donghyuk's head is how he might have signed himself up to more than he can chew. The 2nd thing is that Koo Junhwe is a hundred times gorgeous in person even if he's in his natural state. Long legs that Donghyuk can only dream of, jawline sculpted by God himself, toned biceps peeking under the short sleeve of his black shirt. Adonis, really? That nickname’s looking underwhelming. Donghyuk feels his blood rushing as a dozen of clothing combinations pop in his head. It’s starting to really sink in that he’s going to style this piece of art of a man.

 

His thoughts are stopped when Jinhwan lets out a long suffering sigh. He calls out the other two staff for panicking before gesturing Donghyuk to get in. Jinhwan didn’t waste time to usher in the introductions and in no time, Donghyuk finds himself already bowing down to greet his new albeit temporary co-workers.

 

Then someone interrupted him before he could even say anything.

 

“That's the temp?”

 

Suddenly, JU-NE is standing up, long fingers taking out the earbuds and eyes heavy on Donghyuk. For a moment, Donghyuk felt intimidated then Jinhwan pats him on the back to wake him up, answering the solo singer's question.

 

“He's the one Yunhyeong recommended. He’s--”

 

“Doesn’t matter. Just get him to work already since so much time's been wasted.”

 

Wow. Talk about rude.

 

Koo Junhwe rolls his eyes and crosses his arms, staring at Donghyuk as if they’re in a match and he’s waiting for Donghyuk’s first move. Donghyuk can see the other two staff wincing but instead of feeling embarrassed, Donghyuk just got fired up.

 

“Nice to meet you Koo Junhwe-ssi.” He smiles widely just as he's been instructed. “It's an honor to work with you for the next 3 days.” And just because he can’t help it,

 

“Please be a good boy and cooperate okay? Like you said, we’ve wasted so much time already.”

 

He sees the other two staff drop their jaws in surprise at his obvious sarcasm. Jinhwan does this awkward cough-clearing of the throat thing and taps his arm to lead him towards the racks of clothes.

 

Donghyuk doesn’t move just yet because Koo Junhwe seems to have something to say. The singer opens and closes his mouth a few times, finally deciding to just keep his lips sealed. A glare is given to him instead, then Junhwe huffs and points towards the direction of the racks with his thumb.

 

Donghyuk didn't have to be told twice. He smiles again, bows lightly to his new boss and switches into his work mode.

 

 

--

 

 

Donghyuk has never been so appalled ever since he started his styling career.

 

“Why is this button-down cut here?! The length doesn't compliment his height!”

 

Hair and makeup artist Lisa and assistant manager Raesung both winced at him for the nth time. Their answer is still the same.

 

“W-Well, Taewon said cutting it would look better, so…”

 

Well, that. Donghyuk has no clue where ex-stylist Taewon got his fashion knowledge, but all Donghyuk knows is the color combinations and clothing articles chosen are too far out for a Valentine’s event, and the “adjustments” like the cutting of a freaking 2-thousand dollar Versace button-down shirt makes no sense for Koo Junhwe's body ratio.

 

He knows he has no time to start all over either, so Donghyuk decides to just it up and salvage what he can. Plus smile, like Jinhwan said. Lisa and Raesung always looked a bit relieved when he does that.

 

He’s so engrossed with mix-matching that he didn’t realize he's about to clothe Junhwe with a deep scarlet Balenciaga until Junhwe started taking off the plain black tee he's wearing. The sight of the famous well-toned six packs of abs immediately pushes Donghyuk's mind out of imaginary outfit sets, and it took almost everything of him not to let out a hum of admiration.

 

“Please wear this.” He politely says, still smiling, as he hands the shirt over. Raesung gives him the black textured YSL coat he'd chosen. “Then this please.”

 

Junhwe obediently wears the next pieces of clothing without saying a word, which is both a relief and a surprise for Donghyuk. He'd expected the idol to say snide remarks here and there instead of standing still and letting him do his job without any interference. That is, until he’s about to put on a couple of brooches on the YSL coat.

 

“Your mother or your father?”

 

It’s so sudden that Donghyuk had to stop midway into pinning the first brooch. He blinks and looks up to meet Junhwe's stare.

 

“I'm sorry, what did you say?”

 

Junhwe huffs softly. “I'm asking you if it's your mom or dad.”

 

...What?

 

“I…” he looks at the side towards Lisa, asking for help. The girl just gives him an encouraging smile and a wave of her powder brush. With a growing nervousness, he lifts his eyes towards the idol again.

 

Why is Koo Junhwe asking him about his mom and dad? Where the hell did that even come from?

 

“I don't understand.”

 

Koo Junhwe huffs again, this time harsher, as if Donghyuk should have known already.

 

“Your blue eyes. You're a half right? Is it your mom who's a foreigner? Or your dad?”

 

Donghyuk literally felt his whole world shift a couple of degrees down.

 

At the background, he heard someone snort under their breath before the door is opened and closed. Jinhwan. Laughter can be heard outside a moment later. Raesung isn’t facing them, back shaking, while Lisa feigns by coughing into her fist.

 

And Donghyuk is right here, in front of a totally serious Koo Junhwe, as he prevents himself from bursting out in laughter.

 

“N-None, Junhwe-ssi.” He pursed his lips for a moment. Gosh, it's so hard to maintain a neutral smile. “This isn't my real eye color. I'm wearing colored contact lenses.”

 

Silence.

 

“Oh.”

 

Donghyuk wants to disappear because Junhwe’s face flushes all the way to the tips of his ears and he knows if he lets out the laughter right now, he'll either be scolded harshly or fired right then and there.

 

Plus Koo Junhwe is looking too pitiful right now to be placed in even more embarrassment with Donghyuk's admittedly loud laughter. Maybe humoring him can help a bit.

 

“But my maternal grandma did say her aunt is half American so I guess I can say I have foreign blood in my mom's side.” he shares, now smiling more naturally.

 

Koo Junhwe looks at him as if he's grown another head. His ears are still red.

 

“You're messing with me.”

 

“No, it's the truth. As a matter of fact, we have relatives living in the U.S. too. I can show you a photo if you want.”

 

“No thanks.”

 

Koo Junhwe shuts up then, and ends the small talk with a deep set yet still embarrassed frown.

 

 

--

 

 

It's only when Junhwe's waiting to walk down the red carpet that the idol talks to him again.

 

“Name?”

 

Donghyuk takes a moment to realize Junhwe's asking him.

 

“Kim Donghyuk.”

 

“Hyung or dongsaeng?”

 

“A hyung.” Donghyuk lets himself smirk when Junhwe tenses up. “For about 3 months, I think.”

 

He hears a curse being mumbled before Jinhwan comes in telling them Junhwe should go out any minute now.

 

“You're quite annoying, do you know that?”

 

Donghyuk's about to be offended when he sees from the corner of his eyes a tug of a smirk in Junhwe's lips. Well, well. Stepping closer, he clasps his hands behind and leans forward and towards Junhwe. The idol looks at him.

 

Donghyuk prepares his signature smile. “Only quite?”

 

Junhwe opens his mouth, dumbfounded. No response is given because it's finally his turn to enter the red carpet. Donghyuk sends him off still smiling and with a wave of his hand. He can say the same about Koo Junhwe. Quite annoying. Quite rude.

 

Quite funny. Quite endearing. Now he has quite a bit of doubt regarding a supposed bad attitude.

 

“You held up yourself excellently back there. Yunhyeong really wasn’t lying about you.” Jinhwan steps in, standing side by side with him as they watch Koo Junhwe pose for the cameras at the interview platform. “And you know this already, but our June can be a .”

 

Donghyuk had to bite his lip so he wouldn’t laugh at the contact lenses misunderstanding earlier.

 

“I’m aware.”

 

“And he can be rude, insensitive, and will definitely weird you out by the end of this day.”

 

“...Okay.”

 

“But he’s not a bad person. He’s a good kid.”

 

Ah, so this is Jinhwan’s intention. First compliment him for his work, then clear things up regarding gossips so there won’t be any bridges burned by the end of this short job. Looks like he got the manager to like him enough to make measures this early.

 

But maybe that’s too big of a jump at the moment. For now, Jinhwan is trying to save Koo Junhwe’s reputation to him, and his response is being expected with Jinhwan’s point-blank look. Donghyuk thinks back on the two conversations he had with Junhwe thus far. Koo Junhwe actually being good?

 

“I’m quite aware, hyung.” he smiles, shrugging his shoulders a bit in an attempt to shake off the sheepish embarrassment from quickly believing the rumors. Jinhwan shrugs back and nods, crossing his arms and giving him a knowing look.

 

“That’s enough for now. I’m sure he’ll convince you more soon enough.”

 

Donghyuk snickers and shakes his head. Well, as long as the next two days won’t be dreadful. Anything to turn this scam into something he won’t regret.

 

--

 

 

“He asked you for your name already?!” Lisa whispers in disbelief. He’s helping the girl clean some of her brushes while Raesung’s out to take care of Jinhwan’s errands.

 

Donghyuk raises an eyebrow at the makeup artist’s reaction before whispering back. “Yeah. Is that something to be shocked over?”

 

Lisa takes a moment to glance at Koo Junhwe at his usual couch. The singer has a gaudy yellow neck pillow on, eyes closed and back to his noise-cancelling earbuds again. The coast is still clear.

 

She leans forward and gives him a look that says he has to listen to what she’s about to say no matter what.

 

“Koo Junhwe didn’t even ask for our names for a week. Literally. He’d call us with pronouns or with our job names. I’m Makeup-ssi for a time and Raesung’s called Mini-ger.” Lisa pauses to cringe before leaning again. “And Taewon? It took Koo Junhwe 1-freaking-month before he actually asked for his name.”

 

The girl leans back still with a subtle nod to emphasize. Donghyuk honestly doesn't know how to react. All he took from that piece of information is that Koo Junhwe has very minimal interest in people and being asked for one’s name seems to be some sort of an approval stamp. That’s kind of elitist.

 

“Koo Junhwe asking for your name in day 1 is super rare, Donghyuk. Maybe he fell in love with you at first sight or something.” Lisa teases. He scoffs and shakes his head, cringing as a joke and making the girl muffle a laugh.

 

They’re interrupted when the door’s opened. Instead of Raesung or Jinhwan though, it’s two men wearing designer street clothes.

 

Donghyuk instantly freezes. , it’s Bobby and B.I.

 

Lisa softly elbows his side to stop him from openly staring at the two celebrities. Taking a cue, he follows the girl to the small makeshift dressing corner of the room and tries to busy himself with the back-up sets he coordinated for Koo Junhwe. It’s difficult to concentrate though when his favorite rappers are in the same room as him, breathing the same air and all that.

 

“What are you guys doing here disturbing someone else’s break time?”

 

“Ah, so this is why Jinani sent us here. What are you doing just laying around when you should be preparing for your stage?”

 

“Don’t scold him too much Hanbin-ah. It’s not like we aren’t lazing around too.”

 

“You’re too soft on him, hyung.”

 

Donghyuk can’t help but eavesdrop on the animated conversation. He admits he catches wind of some rare “info” about celebrities due to his work (like the “JU-NE is horrible to work with” gossip), but he never knew BOBB.I is this close to Koo Junhwe. It’s fascinating, especially when he sees firsthand how B.I shushes the other two idols and JU-NE doesnt talk back.

 

“Want some trivia?” Lisa whispers to him, an amused glint in her eyes. Donghyuk doesn’t answer but she spills anyway. “The three of them were apparently supposed to debut as a trio, but YG investors thought it won’t be as profitable as when they’re separated.”

 

“So JU-NE and BOBB.I were born.” He continues. That explains the closeness.

 

“Yeah.” Lisa peeks at the three then whispers to him again. “Jinhwan-oppa was their assistant manager when that trio thing was still active and he had all three of them whipped. That’s why he can send the rappers here every now and then to watch over the baby.”

 

Donghyuk had to bite his lip so he wouldn’t burst into laughter. “Did you just call the Nation’s Adonis a baby?”

 

“Oh, yes.” The make-up artist muffles a snicker. “You’ll see soon enough.”

 

First Jinhwan, now Lisa. Why can’t they just elaborate?

 

“Oohh… Is he the new stylist?”

 

The sudden loud question from their guests instantly stops the conversation and causes Donghyuk to stiffen. Hesitantly, he peeks to see the three celebrities looking at him. Donghyuk ignores Koo Junhwe’s frown and instead focuses on the rappers’ curious faces.

 

“Hi!” Bobby is suddenly walking towards him, wide grin on his face. “I’m Bobby! You were supposed to style us, right?” He stops in front of him and offers a handshake. “I saw JU-NE’s look at the red carpet. Great job, man! I like it better than the ones his ex used to make him wear.”

 

“Don’t call that guy my ex!” Junhwe quips with a deeper frown.

 

“Technically, he’s an ex.” B.I cuts in, already making his way to join his partner. “But hyung’s right. Your styling’s much better than the other guy's overly y ones. I’m Hanbin, by the way. Your name is?”

 

“D-Donghyuk. Kim Donghyuk.” It took all of Donghyuk to blurt that out and bow in greeting. Someone please help him because he can feel a -eating grin about to burst on his face. “It’s an honor to meet the two of you.”

 

Hanbin steps forward, leaning a bit closer to him with a smile that contradicts his fierce image. “Jinhwan-hyung said June-ya already asked for your name. Please take care of that guy for a long time.”

 

Again with that name thing. Looks like it really is a big deal, with another celebrity like B.I acknowledging it. Donghyuk isn’t sure whether to be relieved or to be wary.

 

Meanwhile, Junhwe retorts that he’s just a temp, B.I ignores him, and Bobby laughs before giving Donghyuk a friendly pat on the back. “Don’t hesitate to come to us if you need help!”

 

B.I snorts then shakes his head. “Hyung, I love you but you can barely put a decent outfit together.”

 

“I can say the same about you Bin-ah!”

 

The rapper duo proceeds to bicker playfully, affectionate grins on their faces and Donghyuk wishes he can take out his phone and record the whole exchange. They’re only interrupted when the door opens again and in comes Raesung with a big bag full of snack boxes from JU-NE’s fans. Donghyuk and Lisa immediately approach him to help.

 

At the background, Donghyuk can hear B.I reminding his fellow rapper about their set that’s soon to happen, so he and Bobby bid Junhwe goodbye. Donghyuk bows to the two as they walk towards the door, feeling a little disappointed. A surprise washes it over because,

 

“Here.” Junhwe follows the two rappers and gives them two of the snack boxes. “It’s not like I’m concerned you still haven’t eaten or anything. There’s just too many, so.”

 

Donghyuk was expecting the rappers to tease Junhwe about his very flimsy attempt to appear cold, but instead they smiled warmly and silently accepted the boxes as if they’re used to it. He finds himself peeking at Junhwe’s face after the rappers left, only to see him meet his eyes back. The singer’s ears bloomed red.

 

“W-What?” Junhwe snaps. Donghyuk shakes his head then looks away, a warm feeling spreading in his gut. Silence falls as he helps his two fellow staff take out the remaining boxes out of the bag, until Junhwe clears his throat in a rather mechanical fashion.

 

“So.” Another clearing of throat. “You like them?”

 

It took a second before Donghyuk realized Junhwe’s talking to him and asking about BOBB.I

 

He looks at the singer and smiles. “Yes. I’m a huge fan of them actually. They’re the reason why I agreed to work here.”

 

He can see Raesung pull his lips in and Lisa mouthing “too honest”.

 

“Are you saying I’m just a second choice?”

 

...Ha?

 

Well, Koo Junhwe is a second choice. More like a forced one, too. But seriously what’s with this person? Of all the things he could have pointed on, he chooses that.

 

Donghyuk can’t help it. He claps a hand to his mouth and muffles a laughter he couldn’t stop.

 

“...You dare laugh at me?”

 

“Wait, I’m sorry.” Donghyuk inhales then releases his mouth. “I didn’t mean to. It’s just… I mean…”

 

Is there a polite way to say he thinks the guy is wired in a different (and adorably hilarious) way?

 

“Whatever!” Junhwe huffs and crosses his arms. It would have been kind of a y image with the way his biceps flex from the movement, but the childish pout on his face crosses that. “Like them all you want, I don’t care.”

 

Donghyuk inhales again. “Okay, boss.”

 

“Just remember the team you’re playing for. You’re Team Whiskey now. Not Team Fruit Beer. Whiskey’s a hundred times better than fruit beer.”

 

“I got it.” he answers despite the little confusion in his mind. It didn’t register to him until he sees JU-NE’s caricature on the snack box. The cartoon version is holding a bottle of whiskey and that’s when he remembers the singer bragging about his whiskey collection in a lot of variety shows. And in light of the confusing comparison, how BOBB.I are known light drinkers with B.I especially only sticking to fruit-flavored canned beers.

 

Oh God, the giggles are about to escape his mouth again. He bites his lip, exchanging looks with an equally suffering Lisa as she mutters, “Like I said, a baby.”

 

Donghyuk has no choice but to pretend to have a coughing fit.

 

The next hours after that are a blur. Aside from performing, Junhwe also has a short MC task with Sana from Twice. Donghyuk had to adjust JU-NE's MC outfit to match Sana's as instructed by the PD, then prepare the performance one after that. He stayed behind with Lisa and Raesung at the waiting room during their singer's stage, watching him sing and dance and ensare more hearts. Donghyuk can't help but be proud and happy to see someone of JU-NE's caliber perform while wearing the clothes he chose and styled.

 

That's why he sincerely clapped and congratulated Junhwe for a job well done when the idol returned to the waiting room. Junhwe nodded at him then disappeared when Jinhwan said it's pack-up time. Donghyuk thought Junhwe already went ahead to the hotel but when they're about done with packing their stuff, the idol went back. He has a small canvas bag on hand.

 

Donghyuk watches the Junhwe give Jinhwan, Lisa and Raesung chocolate candies. It's the same kind the performing idols gave away to the audience during the gayo's ending. Junhwe keeps on saying it's a waste to not use the leftovers and the three just agrees fondly.

 

Then Junhwe gives Donghyuk his share.

 

“If you're a true fan, you'd want both of them.”

 

Donghyuk stares at what's given to him. It's the two versions of BOBB.I's new album that's about to be released tomorrow. Both of them are addressed to him, signed with messages on their corresponding version. Bobby's said, “Let's hang out soon!” While B.I's said, “Tell me what you think of our new songs next time.”

 

For the first time in this busy day, his mind went completely blank.

 

“No thank you?” He hears Junhwe ask.

 

Donghyuk looks up to see the idol wearing a self-satisfied smirk. It's annoying to be honest, but damn if he won’t let it slide. He’s just been given ing autographed copies of BOBB.I’s new album!

 

“Thank you!” He wraps his arms around Junhwe's frame, giggling at how the idol yelped in surprise and became still as a rock. He lets go quickly then bows in gratefulness. “Really, thank you Junhwe.”

 

“That should make your Valentine's complete.” Junhwe crosses his arms and huffs as if to say his job is done. “So, Team Whiskey's better, right?”

 

Donghyuk chuckles and nods. “Yes!”

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

“Why are you called Dongtoppi?”

 

Donghyuk sighs as he secures the buckle of a Gucci belt around Junhwe's slim fit black pants.

 

“Because I apparently look like I’m sulking even if I tell them a hundred times that I'm not.”

 

“Ah. I thought it's because it's like a pet name for a cute dog.”

 

Wow, he's been indirectly called a dog. The “cute” doesn't really help much.

 

Junhwe's been making small talk with him like this since early morning. Seems like the idol became a lot more at ease with him after the first day, and though Donghyuk's grateful for it, he'd rather they talk about something else. He knows the idol is just trying to get to know him but Junhwe has this uncanny ability to choose topics that are either too far-out or are less than amusing for Donghyuk.

 

First, it was about how he looks like a “giant hamster” when they ate during breakfast. Then it shifted to how his 7 ear piercings looked heavy and if he has a name for each one. Third is about his relatives in the U.S. (he ended up really showing Junhwe the photo he mentioned yesterday).

 

And now, the topic's about his peer-given nickname that Yunhyeong happened to call him by when he left with BOBB.I for the airport.

 

“I can sense that you don't like the nickname.”

 

“That’s right.”

 

“Too bad. I like it so I'm gonna call you that.”

 

Donghyuk sighs again and does a last minute adjustment to the choker around Junhwe’s neck. He can see the singer open his mouth, most probably to try calling him with the nickname. Good thing he's saved by Jinhwan telling them it's time for set no. 5.

 

It’s only last night that Jinhwan gave him Junhwe’s schedule for the 2nd and 3rd day. Apparently, he was still under trial yesterday and since he passed everyone’s standards, the manager finally entrusted to him the rest of the agreed work. Day 2 is composed of 2 photoshoot sessions that feature YGE’s soon-to-be opened rustic-themed hotel, and the exclusive part of the Jeju beach line for Junhwe’s upcoming album photobook. Right now, they’re still doing the hotel shoot.

 

Donghyuk must have been staring too intently at Junhwe’s figure as he leaves, because Jinhwan lightly places a hand on his face.

 

“Please tell me you’re not checking him out.”

 

“But I am?” Donghyuk laughs at the incredulous look the manager gives him. “No, not that way. I’m just watching him walk to see if a slim fit or a loose style will work better at the beach later. Probably will have to switch out some of the bright blues for the muted ones. I saw three from the pile the ex left.”

 

“So this is how it feels to work with a legit stylist. It’s refreshing.” Jinhwan nods and passes him a Sprite can from the snacks table. “But did he stop pestering you yet? I heard from Lisa he kept on asking you random questions.”

 

Before he says anything, Donghyuk glances at the mini bar set where Junhwe’s channeling his full Adonis game for the photographer. Why does he find it funny now?

 

“Can I be honest, hyung?”

 

“Shoot.”

 

“I think he acts like a pushy middle school kid excited at having a new friend.”

 

Jinhwan thankfully has his Sprite away from his lips when he snorted into laughter. “Pretty spot on. But is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

 

An in-between thing, Donghyuk says. Jinhwan smirks.

 

“Dongtoppi.”

 

Then Junhwe decides to embarrass him right that moment. Jinhwan bursts into laughter and slips out to leave Donghyuk alone when the idol approaches them.

 

“Time for an outfit change Dongtoppi.”

 

The idol is too amused with the nickname and Donghyuk would have snapped at him if not for the innocent mirth in Junhwe's eyes.

 

 

--

 

If there’s one thing Donghyuk would have to applaud JU-NE for, aside from his voice and looks, it’s his work ethic. The guy’s not a professional model and has been asked by the photographer to repeat the same pose more than enough times, but he doesn’t complain and does what he’s been asked to do. When criticized, Junhwe doesn’t say anything as well and listens carefully, not forgetting to apologize. Seeing that makes Donghyuk feel quite ashamed for thinking Junhwe would be petty around him yesterday because of the not-so-ideal way they met.

 

And because Koo Junhwe’s such a hard worker too, the first photoshoot’s done way ahead of schedule. The beach set next is supposed to be for a sunset so the whole team is given a good few hours to rest at their hotel. It’s timely because Donghyuk’s mom had been trying to call him since yesterday night and he’d only managed a quick text explaining he got an unexpected job. Mom is not amused.

 

When the original Team Whiskey members went out to buy more snacks in preparation for a possible night shoot, Donghyuk stayed behind to do the call. The room’s small veranda is perfect for it with the thick curtains separating it from the room and the Jeju skyline as a distraction in case things turn south.

 

His mom’s straight forward as usual.

 

“Donghyuk! You said it’s only going to be one day! Why are you still in Jeju? Are you avoiding the blind date I set up?!”

 

Donghyuk takes a moment to sigh.

 

He explains what happened as clearly as he could. He’s supposed to work only 1 day as originally planned but the original stylist came back, so Yunhyeong wanted to compensate, etcetera. Some extra bits are also added, like the job switch will definitely be a remarkable addition to his portfolio, it might open doors for him that he won’t be able to get otherwise, and the people are really nice. His mother barely let him go.

 

“I’m just concerned for you Donghyuk. You know that, right? I won’t always be here and it makes me uneasy that you care so little about it.”

 

Donghyuk clenches his grip on the veranda’s railing, eyes steady at the early afternoon sky. “I know mom. It’s just things have been getting better with my career and if I don’t take these chances now, I’ll regret it.”

 

“... I understand, son. I really do. But what about your life outside of it?”

 

And like the other conversations he’s been having with his mom lately, the call ended with a dead end.

 

He shakes his head and watches the scenery for a little longer. He heard the door open once during the call so he prepares a smile to greet back his co-workers.

 

Except,

 

“I. Umm. I wasn’t-- I want some ramen but I ran out so I went here to see if you guys have some and, umm. I didn’t mean to listen-- hear your call…”

 

Koo Junhwe is standing in the middle of the room, still wearing his last outfit and holding the big-sized instant jjampong Raesung saved for later. His fingers are fidgety on the ramyun, eyes shifting at him and away. He looks as if he’s subjected to a sudden risky tell-all hot seat.

 

Donghyuk reflexively turned to the side to wipe the forming tears in his eyes. “J-Jinhwan-hyung and the others went out to buy more food…”

 

“Yeah. Umm…” An awkward cough. “I’m just here for some ramyun.”

 

Silence.

 

Ugh. This is the last situation he’d want to get into. Donghyuk internally scolds himself to get a grip, facing the idol again with a smile as he offers to make the ramyun for him. Junhwe looks unsure but doesn’t say anything when Donghyuk already took the electric kettle to fill it up with water.

 

He thought Junhwe took the hint. But when the instant ramyun’s covered and waiting to be done, he asks.

 

“So… did you fight with your mom?”

 

The corner of Donghyuk’s lips twitched into a frown. He forces a smile and continues randomly cleaning the mess in the room. “Not really. It was just a misunderstanding.”

 

“Ah. Yeah...” Junhwe crosses his legs and arms. “You know, I had a lot of fights with my mom too. All kinds of stuff like my bad grades, but most especially about my dream to be an idol. That was the biggest fight. She wanted me to be an engineer but I want to perform on stage. I ended up running away from home and she said I’m not her son anymore. She had my things packed and even called YG to take me away. We didn’t have any contact for months.”

 

Donghyuk pauses for a moment before resuming with lining up shoes. Junhwe nonchalantly checks the ramyun then crosses his arms again. “I thought I could handle it but it hurt, you know? I didn’t feel good about myself even though I got praises from my vocal and dance trainers. Suddenly, my dream felt meaningless.”

 

“...So what did you do?”

 

“I it up, went back home to apologize and admitted that I had been a brat who thought he knew better. Even though she forgave me, mom was crying so much and seeing her like that broke my heart. It literally traumatized me.” Junhwe shakes his head, not looking at anything but the instant ramyun. “We talked, reached a compromise, and since then we’re good. I swore never to make her cry again.”

 

“Good for you.” Donghyuk offers a sincere smile. Junhwe meets his gaze then looks away fast.

 

“Yeah, good for me. But it’s not like it has anything to do with you, though. I’m just babbling here for my ramyun, just random stuff to pass the time.” Junhwe waves his hand as if shooing the rather bleak atmosphere away. He peeks inside his inside noodles and grins. “Oh, look. It’s done already!”

 

Junhwe starts eating it and Donghyuk just lets him be.

 

He gets it, though; the message Junhwe’s trying to send across. He appreciates it and though it’s hard to swallow, Junhwe’s story did make him realize some things he missed. Pride and ambition really can make a person blind.

 

“Thank you.” he says, gaze straight at Junhwe as he smiles sincerely. Their eyes meet, held for a little more than a moment, before Junhwe looks away and shrugs.

 

“For what? I didn’t do anything.”

 

So, he says. Donghyuk just acknowledges with a cheerful nod.

 

 

--

 

 

“Donghyuk.”

 

Oh? Did Koo Junhwe finally lost interest in his annoying nickname? “What is it?”

 

“What’s your favorite song of mine?”

 

Aha. Donghyuk thinks fast as he steps to the right to help the singer slide his arm into the sleeve of a Valentino bomber jacket. “It’s Love.”

 

He feels Junhwe's eyes boring through him. “Why?”

 

“I love the song’s vibe.”

 

More like it's the only song of Junhwe's that he truly knows and it's not even due to Junhwe's own credit.

 

A shot of guilt overcomes Donghyuk so he sighs and gives the idol an apologetic smile. “Actually, I love it because Bobby featured in that song and I kinda like your combination with him.”

 

Junhwe takes in a sharp breath. “The audacity.” At the other side, Lisa stops from fixing Junhwe's hair to fight off an obvious snort. “You’re a traitor. And a fan shipper too. The nerve of you.”

 

Donghyuk sheepishly sticks out his tongue. “I'm sorry.”

 

“Listen to all my albums later. I’ll forgive you if you can name 5 song titles.”

 

He can just google said songs and not listen, but okay. Anything to please the boss.

 

“Oh, time to step aside.” Lisa cuts in, pointing with a jerk of her head towards the resting tents behind the production setup. A woman is walking towards them, wearing a Moschino dress. Following her is the assistant producer.

 

Donghyuk fleetingly approves of the woman’s outfit before letting go of the lapels of JU-NE's bomber jacket. He smiles up to his boss. “Your leading lady’s here.”

 

Junhwe’s lips tug into a small frown, eyebrows knitting for a moment, before shrugging and muttering a nonchalant “whatever”.

 

Unlike JU-NE’s previous album photobooks, his next one’s aim is to show scenarios of a romantic beach date. Thus, the presence of model Cho Nayoung as the leading lady. She’s relatively known, definitely not as popular as JU-NE but her name does ring some bells. Donghyuk doesn't know if it's because of that big difference in popularity or because of another reason that escapes him, but Junhwe doesn't like the model and makes sure everyone knows it.

 

The idol is professional for the most part, doing his role as the attractively cold yet sweet boyfriend the production wants him to act, yet Junhwe doesn’t acknowledge the girl during the small lulls in between shoots. All attempts at small talk are in vain and it’s only when the camera’s active again that Junhwe sets his eyes on her. Donghyuk lost count of the number of times the girl looked like she's at a loss for words or she wants to get out asap.

 

Raesung told him it's either Junhwe doesn't like the kind of work the model's putting out, or the girl “tried like the rest”. Donghyuk didn't get an elaboration because Jinhwan sent the assistant manager to talk with a resort staff.

 

Whatever the reason is, it doesn't seem to be important to the non-YG staff. If they aren't giggling and praising JU-NE's physique in clear hearing range, they are bashing JU-NE's very poor socialization with his lady partner in hushed voices, of how the idol lives up to the negative personality rumors. Donghyuk would admittedly be swayed to believe too if he didn't end up as Junhwe's stylist and got proven wrong about a lot of stuff. It’s quite unsettling.

 

“Cut! What happened there?’

 

At the sudden halt by the PD, Donghyuk and the rest turned their attention to the beach picnic set. Miss model looks pale and worried, her hands frantically hanging around Junhwe’s head as if she doesn’t know what to do. Jinhwan and some of the model’s staff started approaching them, and Donghyuk makes a move as well. His eyes widen when the idol slaps the model’s hand away as soon as she places her fingers on his cheek.

 

Immediately, murmurs can be heard from all around. Except the producer to whom Junhwe bows in apology, he ignores everyone to go straight to his dressing room trailer, the team following him. As soon as everyone’s inside, Raesung is fast to lock the door and pull the curtains close. Donghyuk sees it when Junhwe finally turns to face them.

 

“What happened to that?”

 

The singer’s left cheek is scratched in a clean reddish line. It’s nothing serious and could probably be covered by makeup, but Donghyuk couldn’t blame Jinhwan and Lisa for immediately fussing over the scratch. Not when his face is one of JU-NE’s main assets.

 

“Her nails.” Junhwe answers as if it explains everything. Jinhwan isn’t satisfied.

 

“So it’s an accident? Then why react like that?”

 

“Does it really matter? Whatever happened, happened already so just leave it.”

 

The way Junhwe’s voice went deeper and spine-chillingly cold surprised Donghyuk. Dread forms at the pits of his stomach due to this “Koo Junhwe” that he’s seeing. The rumors appear in his mind again like a reminder and in all sincere honesty he doesn’t want those to be true, to find out that the Koo Junhwe he's starting to know is another form of a scam.

 

Jinhwan’s deep sigh cuts the tensed silence. Donghyuk flinches when the manager turns to face him with a hard look, but Donghyuk knows it’s not directed at him. “Donghyuk, can you do me a favor?”

 

 

--

 

 

Simply put, their side has to apologize to the model and the rest of the production staff for JU-NE’s abruptly rude behavior. Raesung and Lisa will be buying food for everyone on set, while Donghyuk is to accompany Jinhwan to talk to Cho Nayoung. When Donghyuk asked why it has to be him,

 

“So she'll think twice about fully lashing out. She wouldn't want to give a possible bad impression to a staff member she met for the very first time.”

 

Jinhwan has an apologetic hint in his voice when he explained. Junhwe only glanced at him, uncertainty hinted underneath a controlled facade of nonchalance. Donghyuk wants clarity as soon as possible.

 

Thankfully, the world is fast to give it to him.

 

God. Scratching that face made me feel a bit better but I think I need to do more. He might be at the top right now but that doesn't mean he rules the world.”

 

“Won't you get in trouble unnie? What if he talks about you trying to hook-up with him?”

 

“Eh, his reputation precedes him. If anything, people will think he's the one who's trying to hook-up.”

 

In perfect timing, it was. While they're on their way to Nayoung's dressing room trailer, Jinhwan went back to get his phone. Donghyuk went ahead, saw a staff of the model about to get in. He wanted to greet her but she didn't see him. The door wasn't fully closed, they were talking, and Donghyuk overhears exactly what was needed to be heard.

 

Jinhwan seem to notice something’s amiss the moment he got back, phone in hand. Yet the manager didn’t speak on it, even seem to know what to do when he gently tugged Donghyuk out of his reverie. Jinhwan has an apologetic expression prepared as soon as he knocked on the trailer’s door and Donghyuk has no choice but to follow along. The manager was right about the purpose for Donghyuk’s presence too because Cho Nayoung did look tensed the moment he came in. He and Jinhwan apologized with bows, and she dismissed their words with her own dramatic apology for “injuring Junhwe-ssi”. If Donghyuk didn’t hear what he heard, he would have sympathized with her but alas. All he feels is disgust.

 

When all the apologies are done and the shoot is back on track, that's when he revealed to his fellow JU-NE staffs what he discovered. They weren’t surprised and instead, only looked disappointed.

 

“I knew it.” Lisa clicks her tongue and rolls her eyes at the shoreline shoot. The sky is painted deep orange now and from their far distance, it’s still possible to clearly see Cho Nayoung holding hands with Junhwe. “Well, that’s another one on the list of scorned people who tried to get into JU-NE’s pants.”

 

“So when you said she might have tried like the rest…” Donghyuk glanced at Raesung, who only nods in defeat.

 

Jinhwan gives out a long-suffering sigh. “It happens very often. Someone will approach him, thinking they can get June to go out or sleep with them. June hates that and his reflex is to reject them harshly and when that happens the other person feels humiliated.” The manager pauses and meets Donghyuk’s concerned gaze. “So in an attempt to save their pride, they get some sort of revenge instead.”

 

Donghyuk clenches his fists. “The rumors.”

 

At his peripheral, he sees Lisa and Raesung exchange sympathetic looks. Jinhwan runs a hand through his hair. “And Junhwe's naturally blunt attitude just flames it more.”

 

Everything makes sense, then. JU-NE's very small number of staff, the cautious attitude Donghyuk mistook as simply being an elitist, the idol's veiled kindness that contradicts a cold image.

 

He asks the manager if there are any actions taken to stop the rumors, and Jinhwan said they did try but there's no use. It's more convenient for people to believe the rumors because doing so boosts their self-importance. Despite that, there are still many people who believes Koo Junhwe and apparently that's enough for the singer. He'd rather just be himself, like how he's always been doing.

 

“Why are you tearing up? Don't waste those tears on someone you barely know.” Jinhwan smiles softly at him, rubbing his back.

 

Donghyuk chuckles and wipes his tears. Truthfully he doesn't know why. Is it empathy? Shame? At the moment, he just wants to give Koo Junhwe a big, tight hug. Enough to let him know he earned one more person who truly believes in him.

 

But with the current situation, a sudden hug like the one he gave for the BOBB.I albums definitely won’t be appreciated by the singer. So when he and Lisa are called to retouch Junhwe's makeup and fix his clothes, Donghyuk opted for a genuine smile instead. It didn't escape him how the harsh lines on Junhwe's facial expression softened as soon as he cheerfully greets him, and that's enough for Donghyuk. He made sure to give an icy look to Cho Nayoung though. She received it well, judging by how she nervously backed away.

 

“Why are your eyes red?” Junhwe asks him when he started fixing the cuffs of his coat. Donghyuk’s thinking of cracking a joke in response but decides against it when he sees Junhwe's brows knitting in concern. His throat dries up at his clear reflection in Junhwe’s eyes.

 

“And now you've gone mute. Are you sick?”

 

“He’s like that because he cried a little. You scared him earlier, Junhwe.” Lisa cuts in playfully, much to Donghyuk's horror.

 

“Wait, that's not--”

 

“W-What?!” Junhwe looked scared himself, which is weird and quite telling at the same time. “But I wasn't trying to scare anyone! It's just my voice! And the way I talk like, they say I sometimes sound as if I hate the universe, which is definitely not true.”

 

There's a pause and it seems like Junhwe is hesitating. Donghyuk stiffens, his heart skipping a beat when the other male lifts a hand and brushes his bangs away from his eyes. His fingers feel warm when they grazed his upper cheek. “Anyway, you’re not allowed to be scared of me okay?!”

 

“You sound like you're threatening me.” Donghyuk snickers, his own face feeling warm.

 

“Like I said! It's just the way I talk. I'm not threatening you.”

 

“Yes, yes. I know Junhwe.” He meets the idol's eyes again, giving more weight to his next words. “You're not that kind of person.”

 

Junhwe seems to get it. Or at least a hint of it. He doesn't answer right away, stretching a silence that's only broken when Lisa clears .

 

“As long as you get it, Donghyuk.” Nation's Adonis finally replies, gracing him with a rare smile.

 

 

--

 

 

Despite the incident, the PD and the photographer still commended Junhwe's work, implying a difference in skill between him and the actual model. Cho Nayoung took the hint of criticism in a stiff manner and left without much of a word.

 

The workload is much lighter for the third and final day. Just a scheduled “Jeju-themed” Vlive for JU-NE's fans that lasted for an hour and a half. Soon, they're heading at the airport and in no time, are back in Seoul walking through a swarm of JU-NE's fans. As standard procedure, Donghyuk has to go with Junhwe’s team to YGE to collect his payment. He sent a text to his mom letting her know he's back and is going home after he's done. The reply comes in less than a minute; a simple “OK. Be careful.”

 

As they wait to arrive at the YGE headquarters, Donghyuk takes advantage of the silence to review everything that happened the past 3 days. Despite how it started, the Valentine’s gig ended up being fulfilling. He did gain a lot despite a few hiccups and those things are more valuable than a paycheck. The experience itself is one thing. Then the networking. The life lessons. New found friends. And new…

 

He glances at the idol in the middle seat who's sleeping with his earbuds on. Donghyuk shakes off a blush and a rather assuming thought that revolves around deep gazes and subtle touches. Anyway, counting that off,

 

Yeah, the last three days had been nice.

 

“Here. Thank you for your hard work.” Jinhwan hands him a cheque after they filed in a report to the YGE admin department. Lisa and Raesung had already left after bidding him a good job and letting him know of their sincere hopes to work together again.

 

Junhwe hasn't left yet. He's lounging at the small sofa at the corner of the meeting room, busy with his phone.

 

“Thank you too. It was an honor.” Donghyuk receives the cheque with a bow. He smiles shyly at the forlorn expression on the manager's face. “You look disappointed I'm leaving already, hyung.”

 

“I am. It's back to sharing stylists of other idols for that guy.” Jinhwan points at his charge with his thumb. “And that's not really a solution.”

 

Donghyuk thinks twice before deciding to speak. “You know hyung, I actually thought you were trying to win me over to work for long-term.”

 

Jinhwan laughs lightly. “That's correct. I didn't really try to make it subtle. What will you say if I ask you right here, right now, to take the permanent position of JU-NE's stylist?”

 

Behind Jinhwan, Donghyuk sees Junhwe visibly tense up. Looks like the singer isn't exactly focused on his phone.

 

He gulps, heart beating fast. He wants to accept. But,

 

“Thought so.” Jinhwan says with a nod and a sympathetic smile. “That’s okay. It's not something you can decide after such a short time. I can't promise that an official offer will be given to you in the future but I can certainly add you to our list of recommened stylists. You'll be able to work with more YGE artists through that. Like BOBB.I”

 

Donghyuk laughs. “That'll be a dream come true.”

 

Though he can say the same thing now if it's Koo Junhwe.

 

“So, let’s get a drink soon?” Jinhwan offers a handshake. Donghyuk happily accepts it.

 

“Sure, hyung.”

 

He slings his body bag over his torso and pulls his small trolley luggage. Bowing to Jinhwan again and to Junhwe's direction, he makes way towards the door. And then,

 

“Kim Donghyuk.”

 

Junhwe stands from the sofa, earbuds hanging from around his neck and hands pushed down into the pockets of his skinny jeans. Donghyuk faces him fully, smiling.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Make up with your mom.”

 

He snickers sheepishly then bows again. “I will.”

 

“And thanks.” Junhwe sits back on the sofa as if he didn't just talk to him. Then with a clearing of his throat and his eyes back on his phone, “See you.”

 

Donghyuk smiles wider. Oh, he'd like that. And if fate permits it, for much longer than 3 days and not through a scam.

 

“See you.”

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

The clock strikes 10:30. Gosh, he's going to be late.

 

What’s the name of the hotel again? Is it The Pearl? He heard there's 3 restaurants in there and he isn't sure which one he's supposed to go to. On cue, he receives an sms from his mom reminding him of the details he needs.

 

The Pearl

Centennial Lounge, 11:30 am

 

Reading the message makes Donghyuk nervous. His mom was very vague on this blind date, only saying that the guy is working for the entertainment industry (so he should find him more agreeable than the others she tried to set him up with, she said). But the thing is, The Pearl is a 4-star hotel and the Centennial Lounge is a famed exclusive restaurant that only grants entry to VIPs who own some kind of “black card” membership. To say that he finds the whole thing unsettling is an understatement and to top it off, he’ll only know the guy’s name when he’s there already. He still can't wrap his head around how his mother managed to arrange it, but since she wants him to go and try, he’ll be a filial son and obey.

 

After the Valentine’s stint, he and his mother talked. He left out pride like what was suggested to him, spoke his honest feelings without his usual stubbornness, and it worked. His mom listened intently, had understood his words and promised not to urgently push him to have a life partner anymore. Donghyuk had never felt so relieved and touched talking to his mom in ages.

 

And it’s thanks to Koo Junhwe. It’s been roughly two and a half months since then.

 

The last time Donghyuk heard, the idol singer was in Japan recording for the Japanese version of his soon-to-be-released album. Jinhwan had filled him in during the three times they drank together, which was also how he found out JU-NE now shares BOBB.I’s stylist, Ji-Eun. Donghyuk had asked jokingly if Ji-Eun needs an assistant for the solo singer, but Jinhwan just smiles apologetically at him. He’d lie if he said he wasn’t disappointed, but at least Junhwe’s being taken cared of now by a stylist who doesn’t have ulterior motives.

 

The alarm on his phone rings again, reminding him that he’s definitely going to be late now if he doesn’t leave already. Shaking his thoughts off his mind, he takes one last look at himself on the mirror, making sure everything’s in place with his smart casual outfit. Thankfully, traffic is smooth so he arrived at The Pearl just in time, but the security at the lobby is really strict. He has to show two IDs to prove he’s the “Kim Donghyuk” listed as the guest of his date - whose name still remains unknown even when he’s already talking to the Centennial Lounge’s hostess for his seat.

 

The moment he sees his date though, he finally understands why. Looks like he’s scammed, yet again.

 

“Junhwe?!”

 

Sitting alone at a table located at an isolated area in the lounge is the star himself, tinkering on his phone and looking like he came straight from a photoshoot. He has thick black shades on but as soon as Donghyuk came to their table, he takes them off and sets down his phone as well.

 

“...Hi.” Junhwe coughs awkwardly into a fist then formally gestures to the empty seat meant for Donghyuk. “Please sit down first. I’ll explain.”

 

Donghyuk shakes his head in disbelief but does as he’s told. What the is happening? Why is Junhwe his date? Did his mom know she set him up with a celebrity?

 

“My head is blank.” he sips from the complimentary glass of water to calm himself. “But go ahead and explain now. I’ll listen.”

 

Junhwe nods and laces his fingers on the table. “First of all, this is not a real blind date. Your mom knows it so please don’t think I deceived her.”

 

“Wait, what?” Donghyuk gasps under his breath. “My mom-- what?”

 

Junhwe inhales then pushes towards him a document folder he only noticed now. “This is the reason.” The idol says. “Please read it carefully.”

 

The sudden entry of the document just made Donghyuk more confused. He frowns at the idol then takes the folder, setting his sights on the first words as fast as he can. It’s a contract.

 

Specifically, an official YGE staff contract for the position of JU-NE’s exclusive stylist.

 

“Umm, so.” Junhwe speaks after giving him some moments to let the information sink in. “It took much longer to write up a contract for you since everyone’s been focused on those fruit beer rappers’ comeback. Also, I told Jinhwan-hyung you still have to settle some family matters and offering you a contract doesn’t sound like a good idea at the time.”

 

Donghyuk is still speechless. He can only manage a nod to let Junhwe know he can continue speaking.

 

“But Jinhwan-hyung said he’ll help so he got your mom’s contact info, told her we were really impressed with your work and want you to work with us permanently, then offered to help any way we could if it means we can approach you sooner.” An amused smirk appears on Junhwe’s lips. “We didn’t think she’ll ask to help set you up for a blind date though.”

 

Oh, God. Donghyuk wants the ground to eat him whole now.

 

“Hey, it’s okay. Your mom’s adorable.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

Junhwe smirks wider. “Anyway, this whole thing is just to give you that contract. What’s your move, Kim Donghyuk?”

 

Why is Junhwe asking as if he doesn’t know already?

 

“W-Wait. Why the hell are you crying?”

 

Well, like that time at the Jeju beach, Donghyuk isn’t sure too. Tears are just suddenly in his eyes when the entire scenario registered to him. There’s one thing clear for him though. He badly wants the job and he didn’t realize how much until the contract is presented to him.

 

Meanwhile, he’s too preoccupied in his thoughts to notice Junhwe shifting in his seat in panic. The idol’s eyes are wide and he doesn’t know what to do with his hands.

 

“H-Hey, Donghyuk.” At the call and the idol’s light slap on the table, Donghyuk finally lifts his head to look at him. Junhwe’s jaw visibly tightens when their eyes met.

 

And then,

 

“Look, it’s not so bad that you have to cry. I’m assuming you’re upset about this blind date thing and not the contract so I’m telling you again, this isn’t real okay? I mean, the blind date not the contract and it's not because you're unattractive or anything in fact I think you're kinda perfect and I certainly wouldn’t mind this date to be real but you would mind that’s why this isn't real and your mom knows she just wants to help you get this job so please don't cry!”

 

Silence.

 

Junhwe snatches his glass of water and gulps down half of it. Donghyuk wipes his tears and stares at the singer, his cheeks flushing.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Okay, what?”

 

“Okay, I understand now.” He smiles softly. “Though I wonder if you’re aware of everything you said.”

 

Junhwe crosses his arms and raises an eyebrow at him. “What do you mean if I was aware? Of course I was! Everything I said was the truth…”

 

It’s quite entertaining for Donghyuk how he can literally see the realization dawning on the other male. Junhwe’s iconic pouty frown melts into a flat line, then to a sudden parting of lips, and then finally to a wince. Red blooms on his cheeks up to the tips of his ears, his eyes narrowing in panic and worry. It’s taking everything of Donghyuk not to grab Junhwe’s arm and pull him into a ki--

 

“Anyway, are you going to sign that contract or not?!”

 

Donghyuk exhales. He shakes his head with a soft snicker and takes out a pen from his portfolio bag, aware that Junhwe is watching his every move.

 

“There we go.” he signs the document smoothly, tapping on his signature as if to emphasize that he really did it. Turning the file around, he pushes it back to Junhwe.

 

The idol coughs into a fist then studies the document, nodding when satisfied. “Good. You made the right choice, Donghyuk. Welcome to the team.”

 

“Yes, thank you.” Donghyuk offers a hand for a shake. “Please take care of me.”

 

Junhwe glances at his hand first before reciprocating. “Likewise.”

 

“Oh, and I wouldn’t mind.”

 

“Wouldn’t mind what?”

 

Donghyuk squeezes Junhwe’s hand. “A real blind date. With you. You said I would mind, but I won’t.”

 

The way Junhwe’s face lights up at his words is too endearing, Donghyuk has to bite his lip to enforce more self-control. And of course, Junhwe has to cover himself up with his trained image. A nod is given to him, accompanied by a self-satisfied smirk, but Donghyuk doesn’t mind. He’s very much aware of what’s real and he’s excited to know the other sides of Koo Junhwe.

 

“Heh, since you want to be in a blind date with me so much, I’ll grant your wish. Let’s shake on it.”

 

“We already did.” Donghyuk points to their still joined hands and smirks. Junhwe blushes in embarrassment yet again and Donghyuk can’t help but to laugh.

 

“Fine! Be like that! In return you’re not allowed to leave until I say this date is done.” Junhwe is still not letting go of his hand. “I cleared my schedule for this so you better make this day worthwhile!”

 

Ah, seriously. Sure, whatever makes the Nation’s Adonis happy, he’ll do it. Perhaps by the end of this, somewhere in the future, he might be able to fulfill his mother’s wishes too. With Koo Junhwe.

 

Donghyuk’s very much looking forward to see how this goes.

 

“Understood. But you have to make my day worthwhile too. Technically, not letting me know you’re my date is still a scam, you know.”

 

“Ha! Your date is JU-NE. That in itself already makes everything worth it.”

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

“Happy White Day!”

 

Lisa smiles cheekily as she hands him a small bag of candies. Donghyuk just blinks in mild confusion since Lisa should be the one receiving gifts. The makeup artist waves it off with shrug and a wink as if saying the formalities of the occasion don’t matter to her.

 

It matters to other people, though.

 

“Ahem.”

 

He hides a grin as he faces Junhwe. The idol, still in his default black tee and black sweatpants, crosses his arms as he looks at Donghyuk in expectation.

 

“Last year, I remember giving a certain someone advance copies of BOBB.I’s albums as a Valentine’s gift. I wonder if he knows he should have prepared something in exchange even if it’s long past.”

 

At the corner of the dressing room Nylon Korea assigned to them, the rest of Team Whiskey had collectively snickered in amusement. Junhwe whips his head towards them to give a glare, then sets his eyes back to Donghyuk.

 

“Well?”

 

Donghyuk rolls his eyes, tip-toes, then presses a firm but affectionate kiss on the singer’s right cheek. Junhwe pulls him closer by the small of his back, fingers digging gently onto his waist and not letting go when Donghyuk pulls his lips back in. The singer is obviously unsatisfied.

 

“That’s it? I gave you two signed albums and you give me just a kiss on the cheek?” Junhwe mumbles about him being stingy to not even do it on the lips.

 

“Who said that’s all? That’s the first payment.” He tip-toes again to whisper on Junhwe’s ear. “I’m planning to pay by installments. With interests too.”

 

It took more than a moment before it clicks for Junhwe. By that time, Donghyuk is already giggling and exchanging grins with his fellow staff.

 

“If you insist.” Junhwe huffs begrudgingly but his eyes are warm on Donghyuk. “It’ll be a very long payment process, though. You’re not allowed to run away.”

 

“Sure. I plan to stay until you get sick of me anyway.”

 

Junhwe frowns then pulls him closer again. “That’s impossible.”

 

“Then we’re stuck with each other.”

 

“As it should be.”

 

Donghyuk laughs. His heart bursting with joy, he kisses Junhwe a 2nd time, this time on the left cheek.

 

Junhwe still isn’t happy about it.

 

“The cheek again? My lips are right here!”

 

.

.

.

 

 

 


 

I really want to add Chanwoo. He’s supposed to be the makeup artist but I just can’t imagine him in that role, and not even as the assistant manager. ^^;; Let’s just say he’s an actor who’s good friends with BOBB.I (And ends up liking Donghyuk. Dun-dun-dun-dun)